Graft protection and Hats

Getting my first HT in about 2 weeks (strip) and a bit nervous about how careful I need to be with protecting the recipient area post-op. Specifically, I wanted to know how soon after the procedure can one where a baseball hat and not have to worry about damaging the new implants ? I know this has been addressed before so I apologize for the forgetfullness, but I just can't seem to find the information right now.

Thanks

Gunny,

Thank you for posting this question. In general, you can wear a hat directly after your hair transplant procedure as long as it's loose-fitting, and you don't touch the implanted follicular unit grafts. Here is a detailed post from our Hair Loss Q and A blog that better addresses wearing a hat after a hair transplant procedure. Also, you may want to review the "related posts" at the bottom of the page for additional information. I hope this helps. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

You can wear a hat immedietly after the procedure. But you may want to consider waiting 24 hours before using the hat. There can still be some normal oozing from the grafts for up to 24 hours post-op. If the hat is placed over grafts that are still oozing they may dry to the inside of the cap and be pulled out when the hat is taken off. Make sure to use an adjustable hat and make it a little larger than you would normally use. Do not drag the hat up or down along the hairline if you are having any grafts placed in this area. Good luck.

Dr Charles, i gather from your reply that if possible, leaving it open and exposed for the first 24 hrs is the best choice ya?

my surgery starts at 3.30pm and prob ends by late evening... ( 2k grafts )

i was thinking if i should wear a loose fitting hat which might be weird given that its already dark outside :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Gunny,

Many patients are a bit nervous prior to surgery, don't worry! You will definitely find support and answers to your questions on this forum.

Just before a patient is discharged from surgery and all questions have been answered, Dr Simmons helps each patient put on their baseball cap before they leave. The baseball cap needs to be loose-fitting and it is best if it is adjustable. Just be cautious when you are taking the hat on and off. Lift the baseball cap off upwards when removing it and place the baseball cap on directly downwards so that you are not disturbing/rubbing any of the grafts.

Hope this helps.

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians