FUE or Strip?

Can anyone out there tell me which method is the less painful out of FUE or strip please? and which has a faster recovery time? eg when you can go back to work etc? Thank you so much! :)

Brows23,

Firstly, I strongly recommend doing a lot of reading on FUE verses FUT/strip on this forum as there are dozens of topics discussing the pros and cons of both procedures. Regarding your specific questions, healing is typically faster with FUE. However, you can typically return to work within a couple of days with either procedure. When the transplanted area and donor looks normal however, will depend on a number of things. There are also dozens of threads on this topic as well. For starters, see "When Will I Look Normal After hair Transplant Surgery?"

I hope this helps get you started on your research :-)

Bill Seemiller

Having had both strip and FUE I would say that regarding pain in the donar, there is no differerance on the day, you get your few injections and its all the same, a few minor pricks of a needle and thats it. Also in the recipient area there is no difference wheather you have strip or FUE.

As for recovery it depends on a few factors as to which is more of a advantage. If you normally shave your head at the back you can probably get back to work quicker with FUE than strip and FUE will allow you to get back to full excercise without the concern of scar stretching, but if shaving your head is a concern then strip is easier to disguise in the week or two after the procedure.

Edited by Lastchance

FUE definitely hurts less postop. Almost noone we have done FUE on has needed pain meds postop.

That being said, our "average" guy only takes 6 pain pills following even large strip cases, usually 2 the first 2 days, and one a night to sleep after that.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thank you for your replies. Is a small strip procedure (for eyebrow transplantation) less likely to hurt as much in contrast to scalp HTs? I originally wanted FUE but was advised that strip would be better in the case of an eyebrow transplant as the hairs can stay longer and therefore it is easier to see how to place them.

I need to be back at work 4 days after the surgery (sooner if possible) and therefore I am slightly worried about the recovery times.

Thanks for your help!

Brow...no reason to do a strip for eyebrows...FUE is perfect for this as it allows us to take the best 1 hair grafts that mimic your current brow hair...(coarse/fine) --when you take a strip, you get what you get and have to cut the grafts down....the scarring is a non-issue with either method...but if you think about it..FUE is the way to go for eyebrows.

Good luck!!!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Brows,

Regarding pain, there is no question that FUE is less painful in the immediate post-op period. Sleeping is not a problem. Furthermore, it is less worrying because of scar stretching issues.

Lastchance,

What planet are you living on? Talking about the day of the op as if that represents pain, discomfort and concerns regarding strip - "a few pricks etc". Keep it real, 'post-op' depends?? Depends?? Are you kidding? Any prospective patient should know that re. comfort, FUE vs strip - there is NO comparison. It doesn't "depend" on anything. It is as clear as night and day.

For HT punters out there, yield is more important than pain - just for the record, but it is always a worry when we start to fudge the two procedures

Brows,

Regarding pain, there is no question that FUE is less painful in the immediate post-op period. Sleeping is not a problem. Furthermore, it is less worrying because of scar stretching issues.

Lastchance,

What planet are you living on? Talking about the day of the op as if that represents pain, discomfort and concerns regarding strip - "a few pricks etc". Keep it real, 'post-op' depends?? Depends?? Are you kidding? Any prospective patient should know that re. comfort, FUE vs strip - there is NO comparison. It doesn't "depend" on anything. It is as clear as night and day.

For HT punters out there, yield is more important than pain - just for the record, but it is always a worry when we start to fudge the two procedures

Keep you pants on there, Scar. Read the opening post again maybe. Brow's question is twofold,

1) 'which method is the less painful' which I took as meaning pain on the day of the operation and I standby in saying its the same once you're under anestethic , however in hindsight I should have included the follow on period experienced in the weeks afterwards as Dr Lynsey mentions, so I might give you that one :D.

2) 'which has a faster recovery time? eg when you can go back to work etc? 'Keep it real, 'post-op' depends?? Depends?? Are you kidding?' 're. comfort, FUE vs strip - there is NO comparison. It doesn't "depend" on anything. It is as clear as night and day. I'll also ask you to reread my reply also. Nowhere in my post did I say that it 'depends' as to which is the is the most comfortable.' My depends' comment is regarding the second of Brow's questions and to which there is most definitely a difference, depending on an individual's circumstances as to which procedure can best facilitate a persons return to work.

Take as an example of a patient who needs 1500 hairs into the hairline who is not in a position to shave their head and has existing hair to cover the hairline, who do you think will have a better chance of returing to work undetected in 14 days?

Edited by Lastchance

I personally would have perferred FUE as I am staying in Brussels for a couple of days after the surgery and wanted to look around the place but after the clinic said that they would prefer to take a strip I feel like I should not contest it. The Doctor knows best right? Although it is confusing as on the website they say they use FUE for eyebrow transplants. Has anyone had FUE for an eyebrow transplant? and how did it turn out? Thanks for everyone's comments so far!