Spammers and Private Messaging

Unfortunately, social networks are notorious for being targeted by spammers and scammers. We've had a recent influx of spammers who's names typically include the word "linda", "baby", or "love". I suspect however, that these names will continue to change every time we remove them.

These spammers have been joining our community and sending generic, romantic type messages to members most likely in an attempt to solicit personal information. So before anyone thinks they've found true love on our hair restoration community, let me assure you that these solicitations are a farce. :-)

I've been doing my best to catch and remove these spammers as soon as I find them. Thus, some of you receive these messages while others may be notified of a message that you can no longer read. As I ban and delete spammers, all of their messages sent go along with it.

Thus, don't be alarmed if you are notified of a private message but don't see it in your inbox. It was just spam.

We've taken a few additional measures in the registration process to try to eliminate these spammers as much as possible. However, short of manually moderating and verifying each new members is legit, I suspect we may just have to deal with the occasional spammer.

Sorry for the inconvenience. But when you run a highly popular community, everybody wants in...including the scammers and spammers.

Thanks for understanding,

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for notifying the community about this issue. I've actually received two private message alerts via email (both involving a "linda" or "baby"), but apparently these were filtered and removed before I checked my inbox. I was just about to alert you of the issue, but its good to know you're on top of it already!

Thanks for monitoring!!

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I already told Bill to keep his hands off of LindaBaby and that goes for the rest of you! I already sent money to get her out of a Nigerian prison and we're planning a June wedding. Of course you're all invited. :D

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I already told Bill to keep his hands off of LindaBaby and that goes for the rest of you! I already sent money to get her out of a Nigerian prison and we're planning a June wedding. Of course you're all invited. :D

I'll save the date :P

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

LMFAO!

I've had 2 more pm's from these people saying stuff like "love is all that matters"

Do they really think we are gonna fall for this?

Some spammers are truly relentless. Unfortunately, since we don't moderate new registrations, any spammer can join and start sending messages after they verify their email address and login.

I can make it so all new registrants have to go through moderation before they can begin using this community. That means either Pat or myself would have to manually approve all new applicants. What do you guys think? Is something like this worth implementing? My only fear is that it would be a hindrance to new, legitimate members.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill Seemiller

Hey Bill. Can you maybe ban them from the site, if they have to verify with their email address, can you revoke their membership and flag that address?

agdc,

Good suggestion, but only if it were that simple. This user or set of users join with distinct IP addresses and email addresses every time.

Hopefully we'll come up with a more permanent solution in the not so distant future.

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

There are also additional privacy setting all users can change, so that they can only get messages, or have users comment on their profiles, if they are "friends". This may involve a few fake "Friendship Requests" but it will certainly keep out the "love seekers".

We have beefed up the registration process, but we do realize that there are some relentless spammers out there that go through the whole process and are "real" people. What they look like, is anybody's guess, but they do tend to target Social sites.

Today, there were more of these that have been disabled and some of our members will have seen comments on their blogs from these "Russian Bride" types. Social sites, like this one, do have settings that all users are able to change to reduce (almost eliminate) this type of action, but then it's up to the users to pay careful attention to how they set up their "Privacy" settings.

While your profiles are visible to all and anyone that visits the site, you are able to change who can comment, on your blog entries, send you PM's etc.

Managing your privacy will certainly go a long way to reducing spammers.

Hope this helps.

Hans

Hans

Webmaster