Makes you wonder why people are nervous.

http://home1.gte.net/dschrode/newtransplant-tales.htm

Seems like older posts although says updated but makes you think. You have to go to a good doctor. This is the 3rd listing when using Yahoo to look for hair transplants so he gets some good viewing I would think.

Question. What % of people suffer shock loss and does it always grow back? I assume it is always around the donor area? Thanks.

http://home1.gte.net/dschrode/newtransplant-tales.htm

Seems like older posts although says updated but makes you think. You have to go to a good doctor. This is the 3rd listing when using Yahoo to look for hair transplants so he gets some good viewing I would think.

Question. What % of people suffer shock loss and does it always grow back? I assume it is always around the donor area? Thanks.

Yes this is a scary link indeed...and it shows just how important it is to select a qualified physician who can yield consistent results...which is why the coalition membership docs to me are the best of the best...yielding consistent positive results.

I can't answer a question about percentage unfortunately, but shockloss can occur both in the donor and recipient area. There are two forms of shockloss, temporary and permanent. Permanent shockloss can occur in one of two ways:

1. The physician transects existing hair follicles (this rarely to never happens in the hands of a skilled physician, however, the unqualified can do this and cause permanent shockloss to existing hair follicles. This is BAD news.

2. It can occur to already miniaturized hairs...but these hairs would have fallen out eventually anyway. This is why getting on medication namely Finasteride is very important, to hopefully strengthen existing hairs and turn miniaturized hairs back into healthy hairs.

Temporary shockloss is more common and seemingly there seems to be no pattern on who it hits and when, this happens due to trauma to the scalp due to surgery. But within several months, the hair grows back. Seemingly there are ways that temporary shockloss can be minimized. Using ultra refined follicular unit transplantation, the incisions are much smaller and refined and causes less trauma to the scalp...this in itself can mimimize shockloss to the recipient area. Conservative placement around existing hairs and not super dense packing can also minimize temporary shockloss to an existing area. Medication, again, is known to help minimize the risk of shockloss.

I hope this helps.

Bill

It makes me sick to my stomach. I got my three first procedures from Long Island Medical about 15 years ago and I heard that a bunch of people collected around $25,000 each from the suit. That money would have helped me out alot with the corrective surgeries i have had and am still undergoing.

Thanks for the replies. Would love to know if Shapiro does the ultra-refined fut's? I recall a couple of years ago some Aussie doc had perfected a way to take the grafts from the donor site one at a time for a max of 600 per day and implant them without leaving scars and minimizing shockloss. They said he could do 3-4 day sessions for a 3k procedure and that in 2002 was coming here to train others. Apparently the gaps left would be minimal and there would be no obvious signs of transplant immediately or after a couple of days. Anyone know about this?

Bill has given you a very detailed answer with respect to Shock loss........

As for Shapiro........yes, as all of the Coalition Surgeons listed here, he performs ultra refined follicular unit transplanting sometimes referred to as FUT's.

Taking the grafts one at a time is commonly referred to as FUE.....Follicular Unit Extraction. There have been huge debates for and against FUE.........use the find feature to research and you'll get more than you bargained for.

Briefly, FUE has been said to minimize scarring or leave NO scar. In reality, it very well can leave many little white dots on the back of your head from where the grafts were removed......it all depends on who performed the surgery, how good they were and the genetics of the patient and how well they heal. Transplanting grafts is transplanting grafts whether by FUT or FUE......however, the graft survival rate with FUE is often less than FUT due to some follicle transsection when harvesting. One other thing........I believe FUE is around 3x the cost of FUT, or more plus you can have a much larger session with FUT whereas FUE tends to be for smaller ones anywhere from 300-800 per day.

The main reason many consider FUE is they still like the option of possibly shaving down in the future. Still, with FUE, due to potential little white "dot" scars or possibly a cobblestone effect, there's no guarantee. Personally, other than for very small sessions....i.e. a temple fill in, I wouldn't choose FUE. IMO......if you're getting a HT to have hair on the head, why think about shaving down? Plus, even with FUT (sometimes referred to as STRIP method) you can usually clip the hair down to 1/2"-1" which isn't too bad.

Anyway..........don't mean to dredge up the age-old FUT vs. FUE debate.........just sharing some thoughts and attempting to provide hairraising with some info.

Hope this helps!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairraising---- you are referring to the venerable Dr. Woods, who attempted to hold the HT community/industry hostage for a few years by charging Doc's 100,000 to learn his methods of Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). He has since become an afterthought to those who do much research, with many preferring Dr's located here in the states.

At this point, Dr. Shapiro does not do FUE. He most assuredly has the ability to perform the technique as well as any physician, but I get the impression that he feels strip is the best option for those looking to maximize a finite donor source. When I spoke with him about my next session and asked this very question, he said not at this time. I of course volunteered myself as a "test subject" icon_biggrin.gif should he change his mind.

In regards to Dr. Shapiro providing "Ultra-Refined" transplantation, the answer is a resounding Yes! I also feel that he is the best at maximizing available donor to achieve a patients wants and needs. In addition, after considerable research, I feel that he is the best HT surgeon, hands down, with several equals in the industry, no one better. Of course, this is MY research and MY wants and needs.

I think a handful of HT Doc's are head and shoulders above the rest (I have posted this many times) but there are many really excellent Docs that are making the committment to expanding session sizes, reducing scar sizes, and embracing more labor intensive sessions (extensive tissue trimming, smaller incisions, higher density's per sq cm, adding additional technicians, adding the latest technology, etc..) in order to "get better" (Think Coalition Docs)

Along with a few others (namely H&W), Dr. Shapiro has already been at the forefront of this industry for years, and I would recommend a consult with him at the very least.

Hope I answered all you questions and I promise MANY pics of my #2 HT in the coming weeks.

I will announce the date soon!!!!!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

IMO, Fue has a place in only special cases, use of body hair into a strip scar is probably the best one.

For restoring a head of hair, it is very expensive and the success rate is risky vs strip. I agree with Hairbank on the point that if you plan to buzz down why the heck even get a HT.

B-Spot is right that there are many top Doctors like Shapiro and others who could perform FUE, but maybe in keeping to their own principles of what is best for the patient keep them from doing it. Graft transection is serious business when you don't have a large supply.

NoBuzz

• Administrators

Hairraising,

Welcome to our community. On this forum we are open to all patient accounts - the good, the bad and the ugly. Unfortunately, the site you linked to only presents the horror stories and never any positive patient experiences.

I submitted my positive experience to him years ago and he wrote me a defensive email discounting my experience and why he would not add it to his site. He is perhaps righfully bitter. But unfortunately his bitterness has blinded him from seeing or sharing any positive experiences.

I've been online and getting emails from hair transplant patients for several years ago. I can certainly testify to the many men and women who have been harmed by calous physicians and sloppy work.

But I'm glad that I didn't let fear hold me back from restoring my hair and getting the positive benefits from achieving a new look. I know many members of this community would agree.

Best wishes to you in restoring your hair.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

"Would love to know if Shapiro does the ultra-refined fut's"

If you are referring to Dr. Ron Shapiro or Dr. Paul Shapiro, the answer is YES. I believe there is a third Shapiro in another state that does NOT do ultra-refined FUTs.

Either everyone else missed this and assumed which "Shapiro" was being referenced or I'm too tired and missed where he said "Ron" or "Paul". icon_biggrin.gif.

Either way...all the coalition doctors do ultra-refined FUTs...IMO, it's best to go for a sure thing.

Hairbank, good summation on FUE.

Bill