Pix Of My Hair...Need feedback

Here is a link to pictures of my hair. As some you know I have a scheduled appointment with Dr. Pistone on Monday to get the transplant. Yesterday I meet with Dr. Gallager just to see what he would say, and he said not to touch it and to strat using Propecia. Dr. Gallager looked me right in the eyes and said dont have it done. I alos spoke with Dr. Rose. I sent Dr. Rose my pix and he viewed them and we spoke. He said that If he where going to do it or as a matter of fact anyone who is going to touch my hair. That it should be a conservative approch. He also suggested that I do the propecia thing first. Boy this is a tuff decison. Im also going to meet with Dr. Badamo tomorrow to see what he says. The thing that worries me is that I dont know what the future holds. Both Dr. Gallager and Dr. Rose made that very clear as they pointed that out. Anyway here are some pix for you guys. Please take a look at them and let me know what ya think. Like I said Im scheduled to have a transplant done this Monday. Any and all feedback would be appriciated

[link removed by forum moderator - Robert]

Here is a link to pictures of my hair. As some you know I have a scheduled appointment with Dr. Pistone on Monday to get the transplant. Yesterday I meet with Dr. Gallager just to see what he would say, and he said not to touch it and to strat using Propecia. Dr. Gallager looked me right in the eyes and said dont have it done. I alos spoke with Dr. Rose. I sent Dr. Rose my pix and he viewed them and we spoke. He said that If he where going to do it or as a matter of fact anyone who is going to touch my hair. That it should be a conservative approch. He also suggested that I do the propecia thing first. Boy this is a tuff decison. Im also going to meet with Dr. Badamo tomorrow to see what he says. The thing that worries me is that I dont know what the future holds. Both Dr. Gallager and Dr. Rose made that very clear as they pointed that out. Anyway here are some pix for you guys. Please take a look at them and let me know what ya think. Like I said Im scheduled to have a transplant done this Monday. Any and all feedback would be appriciated

[link removed by forum moderator - Robert]

800-1000 is not right, you will not be happy w/ the result. STOP, rethink, regroup, talk to jotronic, my amateur opinion would be 2-3000 for you to be happy, i'm surprised Dr Rose couldn't give you any sort #, but it certaily doesn't seem like this Dr. Pistone has your best interests in mind, so don't go monday!!

To me it looks like you could avoid the transplant if you used Propecia and got a good response. I don't think you should do the surgery until you have really given Propecia a solid chance.

Also, you look like you may be at risk for major shock loss. That's when the trauma of the surgery accelerates the hair loss process. You still have a little hair, but it all seems "at risk". So you would end up with 1000 grafts but a lot of rapid hair loss too.

Propecia definitely. You can always get a surgery later. Guys should NEVER EVER feel like they are rushing into a surgery! Propecia could hopefully prevent you from ever needing or wanting a surgery in the first place. A hair transplant is never as good as having your "original hair". Even if you do decide to get a transplant, you should be on Propecia first. It will prevent the progression of hair loss (in most guys) and it is believed to be a factor in preventing shock loss (shock fallout).

I would NOT get a surgery on this coming Monday, I would get a prescription for Propecia and take it for 6 months to a year.

Thanks guys. I really appricite it. JoTronic your hair looks great? How many grafts did you have? Im still not sure if im going to go Monday or not. Do you guys think that If I get the transplant done that eventully I will need another transplant becuase Im probley going to lose more hair? You think I may have alot of shock if I proceed with the procedure as of right now. See this is the way I look at it. If I get the work done on the front and the top then I can start taking propecia to stabalize my hair loss and hopefully regrow so of the crown.

Are my views right?

Oh yeah forgot the reason. 1 might have a limited supply of donor hair. Alos the density of my hair. Plus my pattern, which Dr. Rose said I look like im heading to a 6 maybe 7. So I have to be real carefull.

If you are not 100% sure about doing it, don't do it (at least not yet). You can always re-schedule if you decide to go forward with it. I also agree that 800-1000 grafts won't do a whole lot for you aesthetically. If the most respected members of this site (Jotronic, Arfy) tell you to wait, you should wait. I am also a HT veteran by the way. How old are you?

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

Shady,

Do Propecia/Rogaine combo for a min of 1 year, if you dont you may feel you made too quick of a decision on HT down the road.

Your supply vs demand is not favorable especially at 24, be careful ! & good luck.

NW

Shady,

There are times when it is questionable, but this is not the case with you. Don't get a transplant. Not now. Not next year. Not ever. You are going past a NW7 to a NW8 at least- you can already see the pattern. Your donor site is not apparently good. The only thing that can help you now is Propecia and Rogaine- and if they work, still don't do a transplant.

I can't imagine a transplant anyone could do that would look good 20 years from now (and maybe 3 years). Don't do it!

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Shady:

You've learned alot this week about a HT...you should postpone your Monday appointment until you have more time to digest the information you've been confronted with...everyone's correct in their assessment of your situation--we all know your obsession with hairloss, but, it's in your best interest to listen to the experience of others who have walked in your shoes...ask alot of questions tomorrow at the NHI open house...good luck!

SHADY

800 grafts will not do anything for you!!!DO NOT DO THIS HAIR TRANSPLANT !!!Your are only 24 and you will be completely bald in the future.Your HT will look akward as hell.Dont make a mistake and go through with this.You donor sight is Poor.

Personally man i would think you would look good shaving it or buzzing real short.Have you ever done this ?

Man I have to tell you, Im so confused. Different Doctor opinions, although most say not to do it or woulden't touch me at all? How can you tell that Im limited on Donor? What is 25yroldcincistudent talking about the chest to head transplant? Im really thinking hard about Monday. Almost driving myself nuts. Listen I would like to talk to a couple of you guys over the phone if that was possiable. You can call me anytime at 215-728-6190, or if you prefer I can call you just email me your number.

By the way my real name is Harris

Thanks a Million.

P.S. I really need so help on making up my mind

Hey you have great scalp/skin color..you are not light skin tone like myself or several others, actually you look pretty cool as is. Do the Bruce Willis goatie or play around a bit...and be lucky you have decent skin tone and head shape.

Life definately goes beyond hair, but do try propecia/mixox combo, it has helped alot of young guys out.

Cheers !

NW

Shady:

And the best news of all is that your just a kid and you have all that technology in your future. I don't think you're going to be bald forever. With hair multiplication/cloning just around the corner, in ten years, 15 years max, full heads of hair on previous baldies will be as common and as cheap as Lasix surgery for bad eyes is today. And in ten years you'll still be a pup. Shave your head for now. The bald rapper look for young guys like you is in. Your shaven head will be accentuated by the narrowness of your head. Round heads like mine don't seem to look as good bald.

I think somebody mentioned it already - your best and probably only bet would be transplanting hair from chest or legs, as your "conventional" donor area seems to be quite weak. I think Dr. Woods does that sort of procedure - but it'll cost you a lot of $$$.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Shady, did you get my voice mail?

Please don't do it!

It is very evident from the pictures of your donor area that the density of those hairs - in even the thickest portions - is quite weak to say the least (just look at the spacing between them - skin everywhere). Couple that with the fact that your still only 24 - man, forget about loosing your hair, you're on the verge of loosing your happiness if you get that procedure done.

Today's HTs are for guys who have a better-than-fair bet of MAINTAINING a good supply through-out their lives. Yours, I am sorry to say, is already pretty gone to BEGIN with!

That only sucks if you keep your heart bent on preventing the inevitable, instead of accepting it ??“ and for that matter ??“ diving into it "head-long" (pardon the pun)!

I am in violent agreement with NW's take on the matter. You're best option here (and you were very wise to ask for everyone's educated opinion on the matter before acting) is to forge yourself the beginnings of a genuinely positive resolve on the matter. Accept what is currently inevitable, and maybe in ten or less years, hair cloning will take off! In the meantime, absolutely dive into playing around with a cropped, if not fully-shaven, ??goatified' visage ??“ I think that would actually look really cool on you (you just have to "own it"). If you do this, I'll bet you'll have second thoughts when cloning actually DOES become available due to how cool you'll look.

There is, if you'll only observe, more than a little relief and satisfaction to be gleaned from KNOWING what is really best for you, instead of continuing-on in an awful haze of confusion. That relief alone leads to confidence in spite of oneself, and confidence - not hair - is the catalyst that transforms you. We all seek it down different roads anyway. I think the signs being posted here are pretty clear, don't you?

What's to be confused about?

You've heard all of the solid, impartial advice anyone could ever need on the subject. Of course there's always going to be people out there who are willing to separate you from your money (and f^@$ you in return). The difference is in who's looking out for YOU.

Don't do it, Harris.

Sincerely,

Harry "Krishna" Lemon

[This message was edited by HarryLemon on January 18, 2003 at 11:56 AM.]

I am not a doctor but I don't think a doctor is required here. A transplant would be a disaster for you! Don't do it! Listen to Dr. Parsley.

Everyone on here knows that going bald is tough, but having transplant when you are not a good candidate is a thousand times worse - and it's with you for a lifetime.

By the way, I have a buddy who shaves his head and he is successful, has a beautiful wife and is a guy everyone looks up to. Hair isn't nearly as important as you think it is when you are 24.

Hmm, I don't know what I can add that others haven't said.

Minox and Propecia first. HT on Monday? NO WAY! Don't rush in and ruin yourself. It will be a mistake you will not be able to escape.

Good candidates are generally older than you and have thick donor hair.

I know this isn't what you want to hear. You thought you had found your solution and savior. But it isn't the case. Your solution is elsewhere.

Others made great points. Your hair and skin color aren't so different, and that is good.

I lost my hair quickly and at a young age. I had a different type of hairloss than yours though. But let me say, when it finally became apparent that my hairloss was hindering some of my goals (though I started losing hair at 22, I didn't think about doing something about it until 26), I still researched other options for almost 2 years, to include visiting this forum for about 8 months before my surgery. And I tried shaving the head, growing a goatee, changing the hair length, etc.

My point is, you need to do the same thing. It was a social experiment for me, but at least when I did go through an HT, I HAD NO DOUBT. And no fear. I can't emphasize how utterly important it is to be sure you are doing the right thing with this. There is no "undo" option on this decision.

It is your decision and your life. But realize, everyone here can empathize with you and is looking to help.

Best of luck to you.

vocor1

First I'm going to hop on the band wagon of many others. You are headed to NW7 and your donor hair on your head is not strong enough to support a cosmetically acceptable result. Even if you got 3000 grafts. You may feel like, why did I bother? You definitely should not get strip, and that amount of FUE would cost you a great deal and like I said, it would only be a drop in an ocean of baldness. I think you should try propecia or dutasteride + minoxidil 5%. In the same amount of time it would take to get the final result of a hair transplant you will end up with a larger gain.I know it's a pain to have to take meds for life, but that is your only choice at this time if you want hair.

Also you have a nicely shaped head. I don't think you would look bad with a shaved head. It is true it's great to have hair, but you don't seem like a bad looking guy and with a quirky sense of humor and a little persistance I'm sure you can get plenty of ladies. If you shave your head no one is going to think, hmm is he going bald. It's obvious you are, and they will either accept you or not and you can progresses/evolves from there.

If and when hair multiplication comes along. Which is a variation of cloning and gives you essentially a limitless donor supply, then a hair transplant might be smart. The final thing is if you have a very high amount of body hair. I mean like a gorilla chest. As FUE progress and more docs gain expertise like Dr.Woods you could use this hair. In my opinion you need at least 5000 grafts to make it even worth while and at this time my guess is that will be way too expensive for you. You also must understand you will have fine scarring all over your chest if you go this route. Make sure you would be willing to make this sacrifice before you go forward.

I want to repeat again. DO NOT GET A STRIP. This is not meant to say strip doesn't work for some people, it worked great for jotronic. But a strip is another form of sacrifice, if you are going to make this sacrifice you damn well better get a nice reward and in your case you would not. So you'd then have a scar, would not be able to shave your head and have less than acceptable results.

In summation. Keep your head shaved. You have a nicely shaved head. Use the meds. If at one point you have significant dough and/or some variation of hair cloning which is affordable coems to fruitation then you can get a HT.

P.S.

You have one of the strongest Whirls (back of head) i've ever seen, it would be cool if you took propecia and could regrow that.

Guys I didnt have it. I'll tell ya what. I just started taking propecia, plus I went out and bought the rogain 5%. I deciced no to get the hairtransplant. I spoke with Dr. Pistone and he understood. He is a great guy, he is going to refund me. Im taking eveyone elses suggestions and doing the meds thing. Do these meds really work? Anyone see any results with these? Also I can get a perscription for Dudesteride. Should I go on this one? It seems to be stronger

Your the best guys

Thanks