Dr. Paul Cotterill

the B spot

All, on another forum I mentioned Dr. Cotterill as a solid option outside the U.S. for those seeking follicular unit transplantation.

However, it was brought to my attention that a video of Dr. Cotterill performing a session WITHOUT stereo-microscopic dissection was on his website.

I took the liberty of calling Dr. Cotterill to verify this and gather all the information I could before making a decision on his work.

This is my reply elsewhere which includes my conversation with Dr. Cotterill.

All--- I called Dr. Cotterill's clinic and found Dr. Cotterill very willing to answer my questions, in regards to the video in question.

First--- Dr. Cotterill stated that the video was from the 90's and he was only trying to show his method of providing density behind the hairline in a female patient.

Second, The assement that this patient did not have stereo-microscopic dissection is correct, BUT, that is no longer the case and every patient he operates on recieves the smallest incisions necessary and donor tissue is stereo-microscopically dissected by a team of 3-5 techs.

Last-- Dr. Cotterill is contacting his webmaster in order to pull this video because he does not want improper information about his current techniques and methodology.

Overall, I found him to be very genial and he never in any way shape or form did he make me feel as if my line of questioning was an imposition or beneath him.

I let him know why I called and gave him the website address to view the thread personally and post any additional information.

I for one am glad that this situation played out in this manner because I do feel strongly about the Dr's I offer as solid options or Docs that do GOOD work.

Thanks Again,

J

Fellow Members of HTN--- I am sure some of you have viewed the video and I wanted to make sure that I shared this information here in order to head off any issues.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

How many of the HT clinics do you have programed on speed dial? icon_smile.gif They are all going to be subscribing to call display. Keep up the good work.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Administrators

Thanks for getting clarification with Dr. Cotterill. When I visited Dr. Cotterill in Toronto a little over a year ago I did see that he had implemented the use of microscopes into his procedure. That and his increasingly refined and impressive results is why I chose to recommend him on the Hair Transplant Network.

By the way, Dr. Cotterill is this years ISHRS president. Nice to know the president of the ISHRS is so approachable isn't it? I have found him to be a very honest and genuine man and physician.

I look forward to hearing more from his patients on this forum.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Yeah, He was very interesting to talk to Pat.

When I initally called, I left my name, phone number and the reason for my call------

He called me back about 15min later, which I found refreshing.

Usually I have to call a couple of times to get a response.

I am just glad that Dr. Cotterill is as approachable as he is---Pres of ISHRS and all......

Perhaps another trip to his clinic is in the future Pat?

Thanks Guys,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Nice work, J!!!!

Like I said before, you should be getting paid. I'm proud to know you.

LOL Janna!!!!!

If only I could get the cost of some of these phone calls covered........

Oh well, Uncle Sam seems to think they are business calls, so I toss them on the ol' write-off stack at the end of the year!

(What he doesn't know, won't hurt him right?)

Thanks Guys

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Dr Cotterill was also involved with the mess that is my head, although I cannot account for his actual work. He was part of Unger Associates (as in Walter Unger) at the time. I already had had a few sessions with Dr Unger, but I couldn't see Unger again soon enough, so they booked me with Dr Cotterill. I flew out to Canada to see him. I believe that was the last HT I had. I'd have to check my checkbook for the date, maybe 1996. I can't lay blame on him, because he was following Unger's planning. But I do remember staff doing most of the work. That was the case with Unger Associates in general; techs did all of the work. Robin Unger was one of them at the time. I guess she was studying medicine then.

Does anybody know if any Doctors do all or most of the work?

peace

Hitzig--- I will say that Dr. Cotterill will tell you himself that the sessions he was doing in the mid 90's were not the greatest.

However, he assured me that he has embraced follicular unit transplantation using all stereo microscopic dissection AND the smallest incisions possible to transplant a particular patient.

I get the impression that he is really striving to be the best he can, but that is just my opinion.

I want to offer my sympathy and support of your situation and I hope that through this site, you can meet or exceed your goals.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs