Ifloss Hair Restoration Journey

ifloss

These are my preop pictures. The closeup where I was 21 years old is when I started losing hair. I can't believe I had so much hair. Realistically, I don't expect to get back to there. The picture in the suit when I was 31 is where I hope to get to. I am now 36 years old. Do you think that is realistic to get back to my 31 year old picture?

9841041991_CA1F304ECB750EC50E70F935B1652269.JPG.thumb 8671069152_779A3DFAD43E26DAAFB7123766AA324A.JPG.thumb 6161069152_487BBEE73AEC9A9B00409BB1E011094F.JPG.thumb 5951069152_F55E73DAA2DB41988AC9B877F4DF23B9.JPG.thumb 5671086881_C316EE09E98C26CE12E7F6F737FA0299.jpg.thumb 5401011912_98D4049F46E93328FCB0587A9224BB89.JPG.thumb 4751078093_149FCA90B67042ABE72723221114EEDD.jpg.thumb 4671086881_81590E16A2B1A89AA8FF5AD4A55C9F1A.JPG.thumb 3671086881_6CEFA585FF0DA72DF9DC1B3A333F2F80.jpg.thumb 3461001912_87A61A6BC7E25DAA0B9834B60DEDE031.JPG.thumb 3251001912_776C8A076056F447B941B765C833660F.jpg.thumb 2321063102_40DD01CC4E4162584DC67B0B793CEBFA.JPG.thumb 1771001912_BFF659E95A9772997E55C9CF39AF7060.JPG.thumb 1751001912_103544E18E8F2CA35CA0E45BF5AA02D8.JPG.thumb 1551041991_A603F66F204F4C91EE587396B41646C2.JPG.thumb

Michael

HT 1-13-06 Dr. Cooley 2600 grafts

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

Wow, looking at your 21 yr pic I would never have guessed you'd go that bald. It has that "I'll be here on your head forever look", you know? From what I've seen, you should be able to go back a few years but there are much more well versed folks on this site who you'd be well advised to communicate with.

Ifloss

Welcome to the forums, are you on any meds? It appears you are at a level of NW6/7.

Look at the patient gallery here to see the results from similar cases. Also look at some of the patients of H/W, Feller and others who can do large sessions in a single sitting to maximize you results and preserve your donor area.

Good Luck

TMAN

I can't really see your hair in the 31 year old picture that well. But, it looks like a very conservative hairline, which I think you might be able to acheive, BUT, only if you leave your crown very thin and don't expect too much density in the front. In other words, with a skilled surgeon you might be able to make a cosmetic difference. Don't expect much. You have very advanced hair loss and not much donar hair. Remember, if you are this bald at 36, you might lose more below the crown (the donar area) in the future. I don't mean to be negative, but you need to have realistic expectations.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Telephone,

I just started 1 mg Prpecia every other day and Rogaine daily.

I'm already scheduled with Dr. Cooley on Jan.13 for 2500-3000 grafts. I plan on a couple of sessions if donor hair is sufficient.

Gorpy,

I'm with you on the realistic expectations. I'd just like some coverage. I'd love to have to use a hair dryer again.

Michael

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

HI ifloss and welcome to the forums.

It's difficult to tell since your pic at 31 only shows the hairline, but with your amount of hairloss, I would say it would be impossible to obtain a thick head of hair again, but I'm sure, depending on your donor area, that you could definately restore a very conservative hairline, and a thin top. I'm glad to see that you started on Propecia...though I don't know what help Minox will be for you at this point....you could always try it, but it may end up being a waste of money at this point. It seems that you are just about a NW7 or heading that way...so be extra careful on who you select as a doc and be realistic as to what they can do for you.

Bill

Originally posted by ifloss:

I just started 1 mg Prpecia every other day and Rogaine daily.

With all due respect, 1mg procecia won't do anything, except be a waste of your time & money. I wouldn't even bother with propecia, but if you have your heart set on it, I'd go for 2.5 to 5mg a day. Better yet, go with Avodart at .5 to 1mg a day & 5% Xandrox twice a day. Use Nizoral 3x a week & consider an anti estrogen like Femera. The most important thing, even more important than a HT, is to keep the hair you have from falling out. I'm the same age as you are & if I hadn't fought tooth & nail to keep my hair, I'd be N5 to N6 by now or worse. Please look into Avodart at least & good luck.

6544 grafts - Dr Hasson 11/30/05

Good luck ifloss. Dr. Cooley is one of the best. I'll be interested to see how much he can actually get. Your sides look a little thin. I would be surprised if he could get 3000. But, you never know. I would like some hair to comb in front also, so I'm hoping I have decent growth. Let us know how it goes.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Qwert,

The regimen I'm using was suggested by Dr. Cooley. I failed to mention Nizoral Shampoo every day. My impression was that this would help me maintain what I have. You seem pretty definitive about your reccomendations, are you a physician? Is there research to support the reccomendations you are suggesting? This is an honest question from someone who's just trying to learn.

Michael

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

• Administrators

Ifloss,

Welcome to our forum. As you can see their are plenty of knowledgable patients who are willing to advice. I do think you can re-establish a hairline that is even more strong than that shown in your photo at age 31. However, I do not think you can realistically restore more than light coverage in your crown area.

When I first saw your photo the words "life isn't fair comes to mind". I too lost my hair early on and I felt it was so premature.

I also thought Pushing 40's response "Wow, looking at your 21 yr pic I would never have guessed you'd go that bald." is a very interesting comment for young men who are just starting to go bald to consider. Far too many young men who have just begun loosing their hairlines will try to dense pack their hairlines and temporal recession back to where they were at age 18.

Fortunately most ethical surgeons will not take their money to do this because they know it is not in the patient's long term best interest. If young person's hair loss does progress like Ifloss then if the patient did agressive hair transplantation they will have used up valuable donor hair in creating a young hairline that will not work with the patient's future hair loss.

One heavily promoted and touted physician in Toronto who is not recommended on this site is well known for doing such agressive hair transplantation on young patients. I advice young men to avoid jumping the gun.

Ifloss I suggest you consult with as many leading surgeons as you feel comfortable in meeting with. Members of the Coalition are very carefully screened and are doing the most refined and advanced surgeries. I suggest consulting with one of them.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. The 21 year old versus 36 year old photos are very dramatic and "life isn't fair" does come to mind. But I have to tell you that although I've lost my hair, the blessings I HAVE recieved makes me think that "life isn't fair as well. At 21, I was alone, unemployed, poor, drunk, and miserable. At 36, I am happily married to a wonderful woman (who knew me when I had hair), I have three children - awaiting a fourth, own two dental practices, confident, wealthy and successful from earthly standards, and I have a wonderful family - so I agree life isn't fair - I've been blessed beyond my wildest dreams. By the way I'm bald -doesn't seem so bad.

This is a hair restoration site, so hair is the most important thing here, but let us not forget ALL the important things in life.

Michael

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Qwert:

With all due respect, 1mg procecia won't do anything, except be a waste of your time & money. I wouldn't even bother with propecia, but if you have your heart set on it, I'd go for 2.5 to 5mg a day. Better yet, go with Avodart at .5 to 1mg a day

and

Qwert,

The regimen I'm using was suggested by Dr. Cooley.

Qwert, "with all due respect" you simply don't know what you're talking about.

1. Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) DOES work, there's no question about it.

2. The recommended dosage for optimum effect is 1mg per day. ALL the published studies show that increasing it does NOT improve the results. There is a chart somewhere on this forum that clearly shows it.

3. Whatever the med, NEVER exceed the recommended dosage. If you do, especially with Finasteride, you play with your hormons, your liver (through the enzymes it creates) and ultimately your life. Think you know better? Go ahead, stuff yourself with drugs but please DON'T ADVISE others to do so, especially if you're not an MD.

4. 1mg of Finasteride every other day has been enough to stop and regrow hair on my crown.

5. Frankly, I am surprised that, having been to H&W, spoken at length to Dr Hasson and probably to Jotronic and heard one or two stories about Dutasteride (whose long-term effects are still unknown by the way), you write comments like that.

ifloss, follow Dr Cooley's advice. He knows his stuff.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Not to pick on you, Qwert, but Hairworthy is correct. Research has shown that, at least initially, Finasteride can be just as effective at much lower doseages than the recommended 1 mg/day recommended dosage. More likely than not, the user will have to increase this initial dose, but that shouldn't be until around at least 6 to 12 months. This is why Dr. Cooley recommends this practice to those just starting on the medication.

Avodart should not be jumped into lightly and, in my opinion, guys should try finasteride for *at least* a year to judge its efficacy before giving a serious look at dutasteride. I know, I know, I take Avodart and have had some "ok" results, but I was on finasteride for a good stint before making the switch. To tell you the truth, between the shedding that I went through initially starting Avodart and the long (and I mean LONG) wait for the thickening it has given me, sometimes I kick myself for making the switch and wonder if I didn't give myself some irreversible thinning due to the shedding I went through. I'll never know, but the doubt will always be there. Not to mention the uncertainty of the effect inhibiting so much DHT for prolonged periods of time in a guy my age (Avodart is *usually* prescribed to men that are near to twice my own age).

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

robert, interesting pic. the animation is kewl

i agree with the others... but first let me say congrats to you ifloss! whatever helps you feel better , its good.

i think the doctor really spaced out your grafts, so you may not achieve much density, but since you are planning more and more, that may help you get "Blow dryer" results. I dont know if you will with what you got.

But, good luck on your journey, and keep us posted!

cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

Originally posted by hairworthy:
Originally posted by Qwert:

With all due respect, 1mg procecia won't do anything, except be a waste of your time & money. I wouldn't even bother with propecia, but if you have your heart set on it, I'd go for 2.5 to 5mg a day. Better yet, go with Avodart at .5 to 1mg a day

and

Qwert,

The regimen I'm using was suggested by Dr. Cooley.

Qwert, "with all due respect" you simply don't know what you're talking about.

1. Finasteride (Propecia/Proscar) DOES work, there's no question about it.

2. The recommended dosage for optimum effect is 1mg per day. ALL the published studies show that increasing it does NOT improve the results. There is a chart somewhere on this forum that clearly shows it.

3. Whatever the med, NEVER exceed the recommended dosage. If you do, especially with Finasteride, you play with your hormons, your liver (through the enzymes it creates) and ultimately your life. Think you know better? Go ahead, stuff yourself with drugs but please DON'T ADVISE others to do so, especially if you're not an MD.

4. 1mg of Finasteride every other day has been enough to stop and regrow hair on my crown.

5. Frankly, I am surprised that, having been to H&W, spoken at length to Dr Hasson and probably to Jotronic and heard one or two stories about Dutasteride (whose long-term effects are still unknown by the way), you write comments like that.

ifloss, follow Dr Cooley's advice. He knows his stuff.

Actually, with all due respect, I do know what I am talking about, based on personal experience, talking with Dr Hasson, as well as seeing this 1st hand with about a dozen other people. Sure, 1mg will work. But will it work optimally? Also, EVERYTHING is dose dependent. What if someone has higher DHT levels or converts test to DHT more readily than others? I personally saw dramatic results when I went from 1mg to 2.5 mg to 5mg proscar. Was this all in my head? I get blood work done 2x a year & even at my highest dosage of 7.5mg proscar, I had no problems what so ever & I was on proscar for 5+ years. Now that I'm on Avodart, & not just .5mg a day, the blood tests are still well within normal. For me, when it comes to hair, I won't screw around anymore. Once you lose it, the chances of having it all come back are zero. And as much as my HT experience was phenomenal, if I didn't have to get it done, I wouldn't have. I don't think someone is going to drop dead or suffer ill effects from taking 2.5mg proscar or 1mg dudasteride. I really do think 1mg eod of finasteride is a sub par dosage of an inferior drug.

6544 grafts - Dr Hasson 11/30/05

Qwert,

All that is well and I am happy that it works for you and that (at least for the moment) you don't have any of the side effects or long-term problems that might arise from such a high dose of drugs. However, just because you "think" it is better to take more doesn't mean that it is. There are I don't know how many SCIENTIFIC studies on the effects of Finasteride on DHT levels, using hundreds of individuals, and they ALL show the same results, hence the recommendation of 1mg per day. You might be a special case, I don't know, but don't think that because it works for you it will work for everyone.

If, after reading you, someone chooses to do like you and ends up having hormonal trouble or liver damage, he's going to regret for the rest of his life not having followed the medical recommendation... What will YOU tell the guy? "Sorry mate, your problem."

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

First of all, let me say that I appreciate everyones input. This is a very valuable discussion. Being a man of science, I evaluate long term studies, as well as axiomatic observations. My understanding (from the data) is that the finasteride binds to the the free floating DHT for 72 hours. Hence Dr. Cooley's recommendation for 1mg every other day is reasonable. Whenever you take medication you have to evaluate the risks/benefits/options. If my understanding of the mechanism of action is correct, the increased risk/benefit of increasing the dose - both known and unknown - is not worth it to ME. Obviously our scientific understanding is ever changing. When the data supports a different conclusion, I would be willing to modify my regimen.

Michael

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

Michael,

Sorry I missed you and Maximus last Saturday morning - I first saw the message after lunchtime on Saturday. I talked with Maximus on his ride home - great call.

I would have to agree - I trust Dr. Cooley's advice as well! Great album and best of luck!

Hair Apparent suggested in another post that a "Cooley Reunion" of sorts (after the growth comes in) for those of us who have been worked on by him over the past 1-6 weeks or so - I think it's a great idea.

Regards,

Mike

3,200 on 1/4/06 Dr. Cooley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just posted 2 month post transplant pics. I'm happy with results so far. I can't believe how much the propecia and minox has helped in the crown where I didn't have any transplants. I thought it was great to see hairs growing through the scar as well. Dr. Cooley is the man. I'd like feedback on the results so far- Am I progressing quickly, slowly, or as expected?

Michael

My Hair Loss Weblog

My Photo Album

• Administrators

Ifloss,

Congratulations! You must be very excited.

While at two months it is really too early to expect any new growth from your hair transplants, you seem to be getting some impressive new growth in your crown area from your minoxidil and propecia. Such a change at only two months should be very encouraging. I expect your 7 to 8 months photos to be very impressive, when both your hair transplants and Propecia/minoxidil are all working together.

Please keep us posted. And thanks for also sharing your journey on your weblog.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks for the update. With just under 3 weeks to go before I have a 1500 graft procedure w/ Dr. Cooley, I am especially grateful for a progress report.

I am looking forward to the date but a bit apprehensive about what to expect the first few weeks post op. I have just over 2 weeks off after the procedure before I return to work and I hope that I am not being naive in thinking that I can return to work with no one being the wiser.

I plan to rest for 2 days post op in a hotel in Charlotte then drive to the South Carolina shore to collect a few gallons of ocean salt water to hopefully speed up the healing process.Does that sound ridiculous?

All opinions and advice are welcome.