New assesment?

vinto

Angle and lights do make a lot of differences. These photos are taken at the same angle (for those of the same pictures) and same lighting (Fluorescent and flash). The only difference is the placement of the camera.

I took a couple of shots side by side at different angles, and those of my donor area. Do I even have enough donor hair for my operation? Dr. Elliot assured me that I have plenty and more while Dr. Strab said I don't.

6511032092_3D20B3700969779711E7163F14115917.JPG.thumb 5511032092_E29032F8B741A0D847FD053F68AA4CED.JPG.thumb 4511032092_7CF624640E8965858DB96E3B02077CC9.JPG.thumb 3511032092_01E62A35689E4544962CFA572F10DD33.JPG.thumb 2511032092_CF11A22F311B983B0EF7858BE2FB8C64.JPG.thumb

Hi Vinto, I would not recommend any hair transplant for you at this time, regardless of what you are being led to believe. Unless my eyes are simply playing tricks on me, it looks as if you have diffuse thinning in the donor region as well.

I would highly recommend a trip to a dermatologist and the addition of Propecia/Rogaine Foam to your donor region. It could be that your current shampoo/diet/hair products are causing a thinning in your donor region.

In a few cases, men do experience hairloss in "patches" in the donor region. Please do some additional research and begin strengthening your donor area before you try any surgery.

I am hesitant to recommend either Dr. Elliott or Dr. Straub at this point, although I am encouraged by Dr. Straub's honest assessment that you may not possess adequate donor to accomplish your goals.

Please let us know how you are proceeding and good luck!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thank you for your comment B spot.

I thought that I might had a thin donor area region too, but I honestly am not sure. When I take a photo at different angle, it looks fine and thick, just like the photo I took of the top of my head.

I am wondering if this is true for everybody as well?

By the way, are there any method to tell whether or not your donor area has enough hair to transplant?

If I can get my hair on top of my head to be as thick as my hair in the back, I think it would be enough to satisfy me.

I'm not sure if it's the length of my hair that cause this. About 1 inch long, and my hair on the top is about 1.5 inches. I don't even have a girlfriend yet, maybe it's shaving time.

Vinto,

Again, although these are better photos and you have provided us with more angles to give you a better evaluation, they are pics and it is much better to trust the opinion of the physicians that saw you in person and have a great deal of experience.

Since you have asked however, I'll give you my 2 cents but want you to put more credence in what the docs themselves have to say.

I am going to stick to my original post on your other thread that from what I have read the average individual needs 5000-8000Fu for good coverage depending on the variables listed previously. I think that 3000 Fu will satisfy you for a period of time. How long, who knows. But it should buy you some time. Just understand that getting a HT that doesn't show scalp as you want might not be realistic, but having what you currently have 20 years from now is probably in reach and you need to think that way. Don't think short term.

The question of the amount of donor hair is a good one. It appears that you have a below average density in the donor area. Again it is a photo so it is difficult to tell. Is that your previous scar showing thru in the photo? A top quality surgeon will be able to give you a good assessment. As you have already found out, you might get conflicting reports and that is why you should get several consults.

You appear to be of Asian descent? It can sometimes be more common in Asians to have more diffuse thinning of the entire scalp. This ofcourse would be an issue. Sometimes you can look at parents and grandparents and predict but it is by NO means accurate so don't rely on it.

Again, deep breaths and take your time with everything and research like crazy as you are doing. Listen to all the comments you get from us but remember it is not gospel. You do at some point have to put some real trust in the physician of choice, but atleast this way you are not going into the situation blind.

Hope that helps.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Vinto,

I guess B Spot and I were posting at same time and after reading what he said, I wanted to add--- He knows his shit so good idea to listen to him. Have your hair assessed by not only HT physician but dermatologist.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Nelly,

I'm not sure if I can see the scar through the back of my head. You're correct that I am of Asian descent, and that my mom does have a thinning hair.

I will get an opinion on Wednesday and will bring up the issue with Dr. Elliot on Monday when I see him again. From what I'm reading though, it's really scaring me even if I had already gone through 2 hair transplants with him.

You restated your belief of how much hair ones need, and in my case, the start of 3000 should be fine.

Let me ask you one more thing Nelly, do you think my donor area has enough to accomplish that? I really do hope it's the light from the camera that does this.

Vinto-

I looked at your new pics and have followed the content of your threads. I digress to some of the content from my earlier post to you................slow down, take a deep breath, review your alternatives then carefully plan a path to take.

If you have questions about prior performance by Elliott, I'd steer clear. From my time researching HT's and on this and other forums, I've not heard that he produces consistent results which should be a must for you. As for Dr. Straub, from your post regarding his comments to you it does appear he's giving you an honest assessment. If I were you and I did more consulting, I'd limit it to Coalition Surgeons recommended here.

The 2nd set of pics do portray your donor area differently - I agree with B spot's advice to you seeking out a dermatologist to see if there are other issues with your hair besides Male-Pattern-Baldness.

One other thing.............I sense that you may be slightly unrealistic in what you can achieve with a HT. Don't be mislead, NO HT will produce results which give you even close to the density you had before hair loss. It's all about the appearance of denisty which can be achieved in many cases. IMO...this is something you need to be at peace with before moving forward.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Vinto (and everyone else),

I can see based on these new photos B-spots concern. But I think Vinto, you are the only one who can answer this...have you lost hair in your donor area or has it always been that thin? There is a difference between a thin donor area and a thinNING donor area if you know what I mean. A thin donor area will mean less grafts can be extracted, but at least you can rest confident that you won't lose those grafts. One positive with this is, a less dense donor area will blend more nicely with a less dense recipient area...know what I mean? A thinNING donor area means that anything transplanted could eventually disappear, and you wouldn't want that.

I agree with the advice above regarding medication...maybe even trying minoxodil (rogaine foam) in the donor area IF you are losing hair there, but if you are not, you'll just have to accept that you have a thinner donor area and won't yield as many grafts.

Bill

Bill,

I went to the dermatologist today as per suggestion by B spot (if this isn't desperation, then I don't know what is) icon_smile.gif

She went by the name of Dr. Erma Benitez of Los Angeles. She said that I do have hair all over my head and my donor area is not thin, nor is it thick. She said because I am of Asian descent with a straight fine hair and that just seems to be the case. I however, suffered a mild form of Seborrheic Dermatitis, which is an inflammatory skin disorder on my scalp (good one), and is very dry at times. My skin condition is different that a lot of people however, in that it's both dry and oily. She tried to explain it, but I didn't quite understand, so I'll just leave it at that.

I mentioned that Dr. Elliot said that I have plenty of donor hair to acheive the look that I want, and that my hair is medium size for male, but fine for Asian. She said that he was correct, and said that I have enough donor hair to do the job I want, but she wasn't sure if it's possible to do it with 3000 grafts as Dr. Elliot mentioned. Maybe "multiple sessions" she said.

So all in all, I have a decent donor area which can help me acheive my goal, according to Dr. Erma Benitez.

I just don't have as much hair as other people I suppose.

Regards

By the way, Dr. Benitez prescribed me six months of Propecia (yay) and mentioned sexual dysfunction (nay), a shampoo called Capex (fluocinolone acetonide) to apply on my scalp once a week to get rid of my flakly scalp. She then told me to go get the over the counter shampoo called Nizoral AD 1%.

Can anybody tell me if I should go ahead and use Capex like she prescribed? When she used her medical term I heard the word "mild steroid" in it. And how is Nizoral AD? I guess what I am asking is whether or not if it's know to cause hair to fall does it?

I am currently using head and shoulders and pantene to shampoo my hair twice a day, because it does get that oily overnight and through the day.

Thanks for all your response.

Regards