Bosley and MHR - for or against or ANY options

smarius

hi there guys

I'm very new to this forum - I only signed up about 2-3 mins ago.

- to the point: I need advice on hair transplant surgery from folks that have done this and that can recommend someone they trust and that has done a good job (either on them or someone they know).

I arrived here by reading a post from '02 that came up in a search on Google. I'm very glad I did, because this forum seems to have a whole bunch of good and honest guys (that don't have any agenda to push or any incentive to market a certain doctor).

As you can tell - I'm in the middle of my research which is the most important part of this whole procedure.

I CAN'T TELL HOW MUCH I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS.

Bosley and MHR?

Seems lots of folks are not for a transplant with these guys.

What are the options? I'm willing to make the trip for a good surgeon ... any thoughts?

I only had 1 initial visit with someone at MHR. Not too thrilled with what I was shown. I saw a picture of a young man like myself in the photos and the hairline pictured was rather ... coarse to say the least - looked like a wire brush rather than a natural hairline.

You know how it is when it's bald and then thick coarse hairs jump out forming a rather weird look.

What's the best way to achieve a natural hairline? How big of a role does the surgeon play? Is this "Varigrafting" real (by the way this is what I searched on that brought me here :-) - meaning does Varigrafting really take into consideration the angle/thickness/length of a hair before "planting it"?

As you can see I have lots of questions.

Thank you so much - it means a lot to me just to be able to talk about this.

Looking forward to some thoughts on this.

hi there guys

I'm very new to this forum - I only signed up about 2-3 mins ago.

- to the point: I need advice on hair transplant surgery from folks that have done this and that can recommend someone they trust and that has done a good job (either on them or someone they know).

I arrived here by reading a post from '02 that came up in a search on Google. I'm very glad I did, because this forum seems to have a whole bunch of good and honest guys (that don't have any agenda to push or any incentive to market a certain doctor).

As you can tell - I'm in the middle of my research which is the most important part of this whole procedure.

I CAN'T TELL HOW MUCH I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTS OR COMMENTS.

Bosley and MHR?

Seems lots of folks are not for a transplant with these guys.

What are the options? I'm willing to make the trip for a good surgeon ... any thoughts?

I only had 1 initial visit with someone at MHR. Not too thrilled with what I was shown. I saw a picture of a young man like myself in the photos and the hairline pictured was rather ... coarse to say the least - looked like a wire brush rather than a natural hairline.

You know how it is when it's bald and then thick coarse hairs jump out forming a rather weird look.

What's the best way to achieve a natural hairline? How big of a role does the surgeon play? Is this "Varigrafting" real (by the way this is what I searched on that brought me here :-) - meaning does Varigrafting really take into consideration the angle/thickness/length of a hair before "planting it"?

As you can see I have lots of questions.

Thank you so much - it means a lot to me just to be able to talk about this.

Looking forward to some thoughts on this.

Is this "Varigrafting" real (by the way this is what I searched on that brought me here :-) - meaning does Varigrafting really take into consideration the angle/thickness/length of a hair before "planting it"?

This is mini-micro grafting.

Stay away from chain HT mills as you are taking a chance with your results.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to produce consistant results, pay for enormous marketing, have a revolving door of doctors, over-charge patients and still be ensured that your best interests are FIRST.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

stay away for them

HT TIPS

Don't ever let travel be a major factor, ever. You will fly to the ends of the earth to get it repaired. Believe me I have read the stories & seen the pictures. Many pick up 1/2 your airfare & put you up for 2 nights. You can consult with these doctors by phone or email. I think phoning will get you better response. Have all your questions written down to get as much answered as possible. Take some good clear pictures from all angles & have them loaded into your computer to send to doctor before you talk about ht.

rtc

"The True Wisdom in Making a Decision about a HT is Knowing What to Accept not Just What to Expect."

Dr Hasson & Dr Wong - Vancouver, Canada - Strip

Dr Feller - Great Neck, NY ??“ USA ??“ Strip & FUE

Dr Cole - Atlanta, GA ??“ USA ??“ Strip & FIT

Dr Wolf - Cincinnati, Ohio ??“ USA ??“ Strip & FUE

Dr Ron Shapiro - Bloomington, MN ??“ USA - Strip

Dr Armani - Toronto, Canada ??“ Strip & FUE

Dr Rahal ??“ Ottawa, Canada ??“ Strip & FUE

Research, Research, Research

Oh - that's what i was saying. I'm willing to travel for this. Do doctors setup their patients with overnight accomodations and travel arrangements for them to use their services? Is this common?

It seems like Dr. Shapiro shows up every once in a while in the research i do.

Has anyone had a procedure done with him? Most things that i read around about him are praising his work.

I'm looking for someone that has had this doctor work on him - or any other doctor that i can get 1st hand testimony about.

Thanks guys

Have you actually had the procedures at the end of your post (signature) performed by Dr. Shapiro?

If so, could you tell me how the whole experience was - pre and post. Are you satisfied with the results? Does your hairline look natural - or close?

Thanks bud

smarius -

It's not alawys about who is best but what is best for you.

IM (not so) HO. Dr. Shapiro, because he plays Chess, thinking two steps ahead.He educates before not after. Not to discount the other coalition Drs.

I think Bill is the one to talk to about patient education. He hit's every nail. If you get by him your good to go.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Aquarius - i'm not really sure what you're saying

..IM(not so) HO. Dr. Shapiro - what does that mean?

I'm sorry it seems like i don't have the lingo down just yet.

Also - Who's Bill?

In My not so Humble Opinion.

Bill is a senior member that goes through everything from heredity ,expectations, risks,acceptance, etc. Kind of like a pre consult.. consult.

The difference is he has no agenda.

Keep researching. It might save your life.

hey - thanks for getting back to me about this.

How do i get in touch with Bill? Or does he get in touch with me :-}

yeah - i'm trying to keep my eyes and ears open. This forum is good stuff - i'm like a sponge every time i read what's posted. Gotta take it all in and come up with a decision. That's why i like people's comments and i want them too.

Thanks again

No -It's private message . Find one of his posts and click on his name or profile. It should come up.

Research is a Biatch but you are doing the right thing for yourself. Hang tough bro.

This is not something to jump into.

hey bud - thanks for the quick replies and all the info.

Me ask you something then - when would be an appropriate moment to decide to go ahead with the transplant? When i feel like the reasearch i've done ... is enough? That may never be the case.

I got my wedding in about 1 year from now, and i want it to be over with by then - so that i can stand up tall in any pictures they take of me. Feel me?

This Shapiro fella sounds like is doing a good job.

I guess i'm wondering what the criteria is for me to start judging as to whether the research is enough and a conclusion is due.

Thanks for your thoughts bud.

p.s. The "reverse the curse's" website is pretty informative.

Did you decide it would be better for everyone to know that you had a procedure done, as oppose to just not say anything (or try to hide it a bit)?

s

i started out thinking i could hide it but realized that was going to be bear impossible to pull off. much better to tell the truth to those that matter.

rtc

BEFORE HT

1. Get a massage the night before. It's good for the mind & the back the will be sitting for hours & hours. You must remain very still for a very long period. This is my #1 tip.

2. Get a travel pillow for flight & sleeping; it's a must even if you don't travel. It will keep your head elevated from pillow while grafts are at a unsettled stage. Do a search on Google. Many airports sell them but try to get in advance.

3. Buy whatever you need before going for ht. You will not want to shop with a swollen face. The clerks may throw the milk & eggs at your "bigface" in fear.

4. Take a sleeping pill the night before to get a good night's sleep. Your mind will not let you sleep & will be filled with many thoughts & anxieties.

5. If you can have a friend or loved one with you. It's an exhausting day & you will be better off with some to watch over you or run errands.

6. Bring a loose hat or bandana or 2 with you as spares. They could get bloody. Make sure they are new or washed you do not want to get infected.

7. See the doctor the day before surgery if possible to go over what will be done. It gives you time to think about suggestions & may save you from a hasty decision.

8. Have doctor's office wash your hair every day you are still in town. They do it best & will also see any problems that can be nipped in the bud.

9. Think of how you will be hiding ht or telling everyone about it. Have a plan for both ways as you may change your mind after procedure. I did.10. trim your nails before ht &/or wear socks over your hands to keep from scratching at night. i did this for about a week after surgery.

11. Make sure you get Lidocaine or something to numb for staple removal day before you leave doctors office. The only thing I could buy over the counter was very ineffective for pain.

12. Buy a soft toothbrush to keep area around staples clean. Gently get rid of any blood buildup, which will help with staple removal.

13. Do scalp exercises if you are sure you are getting HT. Start as early as possible even months in advance. Every minute you do them might mean more grafts & less tightness after surgery.

More tips to come as I think of them.

Smarius,

You've received some excellent advice here. To continue with Reverse the Curse's list, the scalp exercises that he mentions can be seen below via video. These are very important to perform as it can help to increase the laxity (how loose your scalp is)in your donor area and make the overall recovery period easier not to mention allow for more grafts.

http://www.hassonandwong.com/mediagallery/av_player/ind...lay=1&PLindex=5&id=1

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

S---- I am more than happy with my results thus far.

Take some time to really look around the site and ask questions.

There are many who will offer help and advice.

RTC has given you some great information to start as have others.

If you would like a "point" in the right direction, a call to Dr. Shapiro or Hasson and Wong will give you a great start to your journey.

There are other doctors who may catch your eye as well.

By all means, share your list and impressions with us.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

smarius,

Welcome to our community. I see my name has been mentioned a few times by a few people...I'm honored that many hold me in high esteem. Of course, there are many other valuable members that have already given you their feedback and I agree with them.

I'll give my opinions on a few mentioned items.

Bosley and MHR:

IMO, stay away from Bosley and MHR at all costs. Though there are a few decent surgeons there, most who have had HTs with them have been sorely disappointed with their results. Many doctors are using outdated techniques and technology. You have a limited donor supply so therefore it must be used wisely. MHR and Bosley is hit or miss and not worth the risk IMO. For detailed information, use the "find" feature of this forum and look up Bosley and MHR for patient feedback.

Dr. Shapiro and Dr. Hasson

A few doctors were mentioned in this thread, Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Hasson. BOTH are excellent surgeons and I would have no problem going to either of them for surgery.

My experience:

In fact, my third surgery was wtih Dr. Hasson and it was an excellent experience. For my whole story, feel free to view any of the links below my post that give you a detailed account of my surgical experiences.

Continue your Education and Research:

The best thing to do at this point is to view and read patient feedback, experiences, and view PATIENT POSTED before/after photos. Look for consistency and a multitude of patients for each doctor you are considering rather than one or two patients. Consistency is key in determining who to go to.

Private Messaging:

By the way...PM means private message. You can PM me or anyone else by clicking on a users name and clicking "Invite 'user' to a private topic". You can also go to the top left of this forum and click "New" and then choose "Private Message".

Doctors to Research:

Personally, I would stick to our coalition doctors in your research since they have proven to be the best of the best.

Link to coalition doctors: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Coalition membership standard criteria: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...ership-standards.asp

A Natural Hairline:

A natural hairline is created by scattering single hair Follicular Unit (FU) grafts in a semi-regular pattern imitating a natural hairline. Two, Three, and Four haired FU grafts then are transplanted behind the hairline and further back into the middle and crown (depending on what areas need to be filled) in order add density.

The surgeon and technician roles in surgery:

This varies from clinic to clinic, but typically the surgeon administers the anesthetic, removes the strip or extracts the follicles if you go the FUE route, and makes the incisions in the recipient site (which determines the direction the hair will grow). The technicians typically cut the FUs from the strip, assist the surgeon when the donor is being removed, and place the grafts into the recipient sites made by the doctor.

I think I covered a lot here...feel free to ask any more questions icon_wink.gif

Bill

WOW - you guys are indeed awesome!

I just wanted to shoot a quick note to everyone that participated and continues to share thoughts in this post.

I'm still going through what's been said so far (over and over - some i haven't even gotten to) to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Tons of good info and very very kind folks.

I'm still digesting the info, but i'll shoot another note at the end when I'll feel like i understood everything.

Keep them coming though.

THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYONE! YOU'RE AN AWESOME COMMUNITY!

(I usually never use all caps and i get mad at people that do, but i really mean that so i wanted to enphasize that)

Glad we could be here to help smarius icon_wink.gif.

A few more topics for you to read when you have some time:

What are the various methods of hair transplantation and how does it work?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...601075613#3601075613

What should I consider when researching hair transplantation?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...071019713#5071019713

Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

How do I choose a hair transplant doctor?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...431091313#4431091313

When will I look "normal" after a hair transplant?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...911028023#7911028023

Will I be able to obtain a full head of hair?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...161071123#6161071123

Ok, that will keep you busy for awhile icon_wink.gif. Have fun icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

OK - i'm still very pleasantly surprised with the amount of info offered so diligently by everyone.

Thanks again everyone - you're indeed wonderful people.

"Reverse the Curse" - thank you so much for the list of items that seemed to be rather extensive and even exhaustive of everything that should be looked into when considering this procedure. Good stuff.

I do have couple questions though :-) (shocker :-)

1. In terms of the actual procedure, it sounds like most of the respectable practices follow 1 "simple" scenario: a strip is removed fromt he donor area - divided by follicular units that are later on planted into the apropriate places. Is there a different type of procedure (or even variations of this one) that i should be aware of? (i'm only refering to the ones that are worth looking into).

2.From other posts - I understand it's good to shave the donor area? Should the whole thing be trimmed pretty short then? Any experiece with this?

3. Generally how long after the surgery would i be able to go back to work and in society without feeling like the procedure is visible?Maybe this is never possible until it starts growing?!

I usually don't wear hats ... ever and i could pull off wearing a hat for couple weeks under the pretext of a bad haircut ... but after several weeks, could i cover the signs of the procedure with the rest of the hair enough to not be obvious? Any thoughts?

4. Maybe everyone can put in their thoughts on this: what's the most successful way of responding to comments after the surgery? Denial, evasive comments or flat out confession?

It really feels like i've joined a warm universe where people talk to each other with no constraints about hair loss topics.

Thank you again for making me feel so welcome in your midst.

smarius,

I'll try to answer your questions.

1. There are a few methods of hair transplantation worth considering. You have mentioned Strip surgery, but FUE is also available.

Read some more of my comments about Strip Vs FUE here:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...791065613#1791065613

2. Most, if not all clinics shave the donor area regardless of whether or not you do strip or FUE. Since the shaved donor area is completely removed during strip, however, no evidence of anything being shaved is left behind. FUE, however, when shaved, has to grow back and will over time. The clinic shaves the donor area, you do not have to worry about doing this yourself.

3. The link I posted above should help answer your question.

Here it is again: When will I look "normal" after a hair transplant?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...911028023#7911028023

4. This is a more tricky question...it all depends on what you can do to conceal your surgery. If you can get away with wearing hats at your job and social environment, start wearing hats now. If people ask about why you started to wear hats, just make up something: maybe you just are trying something new, or you are supporting your favorites sports team, etc. A nice trick too is to take the hat off every now and then BEFORE surgery, that way, those that suspect something went on sees that nothing is different under your hat. Then when you finally have surgery and are wearing a hat, nobody will question it, because all questions have already been answered, you see?

If you can't wear a hat, you'll have to consider other options on how to conceal your surgery. If you go to a doctor who shaves the recipient area, consider shaving your hair down real short before surgery so it's less noticable after surgery.

Experientially, I've had a few people ask me about my scar when I shaved my hair all down to a 1 clip after my third surgery. I just told them I had surgery and this was a scar left over from when I was a child. NOBODY probed me further on it. Of course, if someone knew you when you were a child, you might want to come up with a different response. You could always try the honest approach icon_wink.gif.

I hope this helps brother,

Bill

hey Bill

I just want to say so everyone can see this:

You're a good man!

I've read many of your posts (the ones you sent me and others). Plenty of things to consider and plenty of information.

I'll put something else on here the second it comes to me.

Thanks again everyone!