How does one determine their yield?

Just wondering how can one know for sure what kind of yield percentage they produce at the final result of HT.

Lets say someone receives a strip HT of 2000 grafts. Strip HT apparently has a high 90's percentage of graft survival. How do you know how many survived and how many may not have??

Shouldn't this be determined by the doctor as a follow up visit or be verified somehow? icon_confused.gif

NoBuzz

Just wondering how can one know for sure what kind of yield percentage they produce at the final result of HT.

Lets say someone receives a strip HT of 2000 grafts. Strip HT apparently has a high 90's percentage of graft survival. How do you know how many survived and how many may not have??

Shouldn't this be determined by the doctor as a follow up visit or be verified somehow? icon_confused.gif

NoBuzz

i would have to say this is a good question.

i know if i had a ht, i would want that information in my hands.

but i would probobly say that this would be almost possible to figure out.

if you were to go for a follow up appointment to see your graft survival, wouldnt there be atleast 10% be in the talagon(spelling?) phase meaning that not all your grafts are up at the same time meaning it cant be calculated? iono

Nobuzz,

Very good question. The docs are capable of estimating the percentage of graft survival to a fairly accurate measurement. It should be more of a standard but probably very few return for a follow up visit.

You could count your hairs like Bill does. icon_biggrin.gif He might even name them.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Very good question though I don't think there is a definite answer.............if there is I haven't heard of it. I suppose with clearly taken post op pics that show graft placement, you should be able to make a fairly accurate assessment as to whether or not a certain area grew..................but as for actual hairs/grafts I think that wouldu be impossible to determine.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

You could count your hairs like Bill does. He might even name them.

That's right. I count and talk to them daily. If any are missing, I have a whole mourning ritual that I follow. Very sad day! :P

Great discussion. Truthfully, I'm not even sure how a doctor would be able to determine it. Obviously, they have magnification and other equipment to use, but I'm sure they don't count your hair follicles icon_wink.gif.

Perhaps a doctor can chime in here.

Bill

Hair counts for measuring growth are VERY difficult to do. They are even harder if the grafts were placed into preexisting natural or HT hair. Yields may be accurately calculated but only with a small number of grafts over a small surface area. I have never seen ANY study where yields were calculated for a mega session.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

BTW, tisah, you are correct. Roughly 10% of your transplanted hairs will be in the telogen phase (once everything has matured). Therefore, if your HT yields 90% you have a perfect or near perfect result in terms of growth.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, precise yield from a hair transplant is difficult to determine.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.