Garnier Fructis Surf Hair to add density

I've been trying to find something other than a volumizing shampoo to add some density/thickness to my hair because I love my current regimen with Nioxin and Nizoral and believe they are a big benefit when it comes to scalp and hair care. Since I now have a little hair on my head(2 HT's and many $$ later), I thought I'd give give "surf hair" a try.

I noticed Bobman quoted using this stuff to style his hair. I also surfed(a little pun intended icon_biggrin.gif) around some other forums and found many have used it and "most" seemed to think it was great.....so, for $2.50 I picked some up at the local Walmart.

I have to say......this is pretty good stuff! I put it on towel dried hair (very slightly damp) and just dip my fingers in and apply. The key is not to use too much.........I did this morning and I had to wash it out. I guess I had become so thrilled with the perceived added density the last few days of using I got a little overzealous when applying. It's more of a paste than a gel, really.

Anyhow, for those of you who have "decent density all over (45 per sq cm or so) this stuff is excellent. If you're looking for something to give you some added density, give it a try. Obviously, this is something that will work better worn dry than wet to achieve a more full appearance.

Sheesh.....I'm getting so into hairstyles now that I have a little hair to work with! icon_cool.gif Anyway........just thought I'd pass along this info.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank giving hairstyle advice icon_smile.gif, couldn't happen to a more deserving poster. congtats on getting to that stage.

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Hello Hairbank -

I am in same boat as you are. I have also been playing around with different styling products, but so I haven't found anything that really works. I'll give it a shot to surf hair. Although, L'real vive for men works great for me. It adds lot of density, but at the same it makes my hair dry and brutal.

KG

kg007 (and others),

One thing with the Surf Hair, as usual with these products......less is more. Just put a very little dab on the end of your middle three fingertips with the hair a little damp, rub through your hair, then style. I don't like the wet look because I don't have the density for it so I blowdry it. It's a little stiff but man does it add to the look of density (IMO).

Another tip (my wife shared with me).........depending on how you wear your hair..........if you want to add fullness (I comb mine straight back) and have it stand up a little, blowdry it with your head upside down (bending over). Sounds a little crazy (and I hesitated posting it icon_biggrin.gif) but it works, no doubt.

For those who use dermmatch............it works great with it. First time I tried it was this morning. Also, I've revised my dermmatch application method not putting quite as much on as before when I had a problem with it looking chalky. I still put in a moderate amount of dermmatch all over, then brush through, blowdry, then take a damp washcloth and very lightly rub back and forth on hair (not hard enough to touch the scalp).......actually, I do this bent over with head down so I don't touch the scalp and take any off the scalp. Takes care of the chalky look, no problem............then blowdry and brush, then add Surf Hair and blowdry and style. Whew! what a regimen to get the hair the way you want! Actually, the whole process takes around 5-10 minutes, tops. No problem with any dermmatch coming off in hands when run through hair.

Dermmatch is great if you have diffused thinning on top and I like Surf Hair for styling and to help avoid any chalky look with dermmatch.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hairbank--I gave "surf hair" a try. It work great; definetely give my hair the apperance of more density. Also, it's not sticky like traditonal gel. I towel dry my hair and apply a liberal amount, comb it into my hair, then use a towel to rub it in then style. Later on, I'll mess my hair up a little using my fingers--this give it a dry and fuller look--thanks for the advice. I recommend it to anybody that has decent coverage, and probably not over a Norwood 3.