Philly area doctors?

MakersMark,

Welcome to the forums and allow me to be the first to compliment you on your username - great choice, my friend.

It is true that at this time there are no Coalition physicians in the Philidelphia area, however do not let geography be a binding criteria. You may have to travel to get to the best in the field of hair restoration and when you only have one scalp and a very limited donor area, you want the best.

Here are some Coalition physicians that are located relatively near Philly:

Dr. Robert True - New York

Dr. Robert Bernstein - New York

Dr. Robert Dorin - New York

Dr. Robert Haber - Ohio

Dr. Raymond Konior - Chicago

Dr. Jerry Cooley - North Carolina

Each of these Coalition physician recommendation pages portrays their profiles, interviews, previous patient photos, and contact information. You can use their virtual consultation forms to send your information to be reviewed quickly and confidentially and recieve an initial diagnosis via email.

Again, welcome to the forums and please utilize the search function to research past posts that relate to all aspects of surgical hair restoration.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 weeks later...

Makers,

I've had 2 HTs and I live in your area. First I saw Dr. Katz of PA in Washington Crossing. I feel that he did an excellent job for the number of grafts placed (1600). Check out my link in the photos section under Dr. Katz to see all my pics from day after surgery until about 9 months. Also, I just had my second HT with Dr. True in NY of 2249 grafts. I'm only 15 days post op, but everything is healing nicely, and it looks promising, though I can't tell you anything about results yet. Another guy nicknamed Northern has had an HT with True and Dorin also, and he has made excellent progress. I believe he has initial pictures and his story posted under the photos section, and update pics are posted under the surgeons and experience section. As to why I chose True over Katz for the second HT, check out my description and photos under the photos section for Dr. True. Katz did an excellent job...but as my hairloss gets more progressive, I'm looking for docs that will do larger graft sessions who also have a good reputation. Take your time, do your research. You won't find too many postings about Katz on here, or at least noone else who has had an HT by him besides me. But for what it's worth....he did a good job on me.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Avoid Dr. Horace MacVaugh, in Philadelphia.

This guy is a dinosaur who should have stopped doing hair transplants years ago.

I don't know why some of the old timers don't just hang it up already.

Hey Arfy,

Wow, I never even heard of that doc. So why not go to him? I'm only asking, not because I ever intended to go to him, but because I think it's important for those who suggest not going to a doc to back up their suggestion with evidence of poor results or poor methodology. So if you would indulge me and the rest of the readers, it might help others in their decision making process. Thanks man!

Bill

Dr. Horace MacVaugh

I don't want to knock the doctor, but I do want to critic the clinic he works for.

Per their site, the offer the "Platinum Club" rate, for members only. When you are a member you will receive for 1800 grafts a natural hairline, and permenant head of hair.

SIGN ME UP!! That's sarcasim for you newbies..

Dr MacVaugh works for NuHart now, they are a hair mill in my opinion. That means they are big on advertising, and not so big on getting good results. I do know one guy who was involved in a class action lawsuit with NuHart, but there were so many guys splitting the money up that in the end it didn't turn out to be all that much of a refund. What does that tell you?

I was just looking at the NuHart website, they are down to 4 or 5 U.S. clinics now and a couple overseas, which means they are dying, that's down from a dozen clinics a few years ago. They couldn't even cut it in the hair mill business, which is pretty dismal when you aim low and then can't even succeed at that.

MacVaugh used to work for Cleveland Hair Clinic, one of the worst clinics of all time. They did terrible work and they also lied to patients. I know about that part first-hand, although MacVaugh wasn't my specific doctor I would recommend that you avoid any alumni from Cleveland Hair Clinic like the plague. I think they are crooks, your milage may vary.

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly recommmend Dr joe gallagher, he is in bala cynwyd. his number is 1-800-916-0008. He only sees one patient per day and on top of that is just an awesome guy. Granted, I have not been to other physicians, but his work is excellent. He operated on my several years ago, nobody ever knew the procedure even took place. I have also heard that their is a Dr. Katz that is quite good too and he is near Washington Crossing, Pa.

• Administrators

I'm actually in Philly right now to visit leading surgeons in the area. I had an excellent two hour conversation with Dr. Pistone yesterday. I'm very impressed with his philosophy, frankness and sense of humor.

He has been doing hair transplantion for over ten years and is doing all microscopic follicular unit hair transplantation with a team of 5 techs. I hope to visit his clinic to see he and his staff in action tomorrow on Thursday.

Dr. Katz is also providing very solid follicular unit hair transplantation and I also intend to see him and his staff performing surgery before I leave town.

I do not advice going to Dr. Gallagher. Due to negative reports from patients and physicians he is not recommended on this site.

My impression after doing considerable research in the Philly area is that Dr. Katz and Dr. Pistone are the best choices for a state of the art surgery in the Philly area.

I will report my findings on the forum "Visits to Leading Hair Restoration Clinics".

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Dear Patrick,

Why was Dr. Pistone taken off this site a while back? And yes please give us your honest opinion of his work when you check back.

• Administrators

I'm disappointed to report that after being in the Philly area for two days I was not able to see either Dr. Pistone or Dr. Katz perform surgery.

Dr. Pistone was completing the process of moving to a new clinic and did not have surgery while I was in the area. However, based on our two hour conversation, his reputation and seeing his patient photos I believe he does very solid follicular unit transplantation using microscopic dissection.

Dr. Katz was performing surgery while I was available to visit him but he did not seem interested in allowing me to see him and his staff in action. Frankly, after hanging around in a motel in Philly for two days in order to see him perform surgery - I don't appreciate the blow off.

It doesn't reflect well on him or his clinic. Generally I have found over the years that surgeons who are confident in their work are normally excited to invite me to see them in action. Those who are evasive normally can't handle the scrutiny.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

• 1 month later...

I had HT with Dr. Pistone in March 2004. I received 1,400 grafts. I was very thin in front. Anyhow, it was painless and after 1 1/2 it filled in very well. I am actually going back for a second procedure for more density. At my annual visit, Dr. Pistone told me a did not need another procedure. He said I looked fine. But, I do want more density. He actually is an honest person who truly loves his work and helping others. I think his opinions are honest and making money is really not what he is in this business. Check out his website and you will see results.

• Administrators

Zonk,

Congratulations on your results. When I was in the Philly area earlier this summer I tried to meet with Dr. Pistone to see him performing surgery. But unfortunately when I was in town he was moving to a new office and was not performing surgery.

I did however have a good conversation with him for about an hour. He seemed very solid and ethical to me. His photos also look good. I also enjoyed his sense of humor.

He doesn't do big 2,500 plus graft sessions. But I suspect that he does do quality follicular unit work.

Best wishes for a great second session. Feel free to post your pictures on this forum. I think we'd all like to learn more about Dr. Pistone.

I hope to some day see him performing surgery.

My Hair Loss Blog

I was planning on going to an open house this month to see Dr. Robert Bernstein in his Fort Lee office. I live in south jersey. Has anyone gone to an open house there or his NYC office and what kind of experience did you have?

Thanks for your response,

Darren

• 1 year later...

I relize this post is a year old, but for anyone reading it, avoid Dr. Horace MacVaugh and NuHart at all costs. I had my first couple of procedures with him 13 years ago back when he was with Cleveland Hair Clinic. Not very good results and horrible scar after the 2nd HT that I've had to get revision work up front with Dr. Gallagher and part of the scar removed over the years just to look OK. Unfortunately, I never took pics. of those old surgeries, but they were horrible by today's standards.

• 2 months later...

Hey Darren,

I just saw Bernstein in his Ft. Lee office back in January. He's very conservative. I spent more time in his waiting room than I did with him, maybe 5 minutes. I don't know if you went or not, but, coming from South Jersey, I can tell you first hand that the Ft. Lee office is a pain to get to! While it's a straight shoot up the NJTP, he is the VERY LAST exit before the George Washington Bridge. The exits around the area are very confusing, and if you don't get into the proper lane, you will find yourself at the toll booths, heading into NYC.

The fun doesn't end there. If you happen to get off the proper exit, you will find yourself looking for parking forever! His office is in the bottom of an apartment complex/office building with private parking. You have to park on a side street in a residential area. Good luck with that. I drove around 15 minutes before I found a spot!

Bernstein himself is pretty personable, is blunt and point blank. I find it ironic that a guy as bald as he is performs hair transplants.

• 2 years later...

I am confused by your previous post about Dr. Gallagher. I went to him recently and only have good things to say about him. He is extremely knowledgeable (one of the pioneers of the technology), very reasonably priced and is dedicated to making you look as good as you possibly can. He was extremely attentive during the entire procedure (he spent over 12 hours on only me, he didn't have any other patients the entire day) and his attention to detail is amazing. Not only that, but his nurse, Michelle, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. I highly recommend him to anyone who is looking for superb results!