Am i really ready?

jst

i am 23 year old male. I have been thinning on top for about 3 years, diagnosed as an eventaul norwood 5a. I have been on propecia .5mg for 13 months, and rogaine foam 2x daily for about 5 months. Althought i have not grown back my 18 year old hair, it does seem like i haven't lost much over the course of my treatment. I have seen dr. true and he seems to think i am ready for a conservative hair transplant. But after reading the posts on this site, and knowing that 23 is a young age, am i really ready to take this plunge? i know what this will entail: a lifelong regimen of pills and foam, and more than likely multiple transplants. What i want to know is, has anyone at my age had a successful experience with hair transplantation? i'm taking my time with this decision to make sure i do it right. I would appreiciate any feedback.

i am 23 year old male. I have been thinning on top for about 3 years, diagnosed as an eventaul norwood 5a. I have been on propecia .5mg for 13 months, and rogaine foam 2x daily for about 5 months. Althought i have not grown back my 18 year old hair, it does seem like i haven't lost much over the course of my treatment. I have seen dr. true and he seems to think i am ready for a conservative hair transplant. But after reading the posts on this site, and knowing that 23 is a young age, am i really ready to take this plunge? i know what this will entail: a lifelong regimen of pills and foam, and more than likely multiple transplants. What i want to know is, has anyone at my age had a successful experience with hair transplantation? i'm taking my time with this decision to make sure i do it right. I would appreiciate any feedback.

You will have to be the ultimate maker of this decision. First off, can you afford to get a HT? You can get spectacular results from the right surgeon, provided you dont mind being conservative with your hairline and you dont mind spending more money in the future (because you will see him again, its almost assured)

I was 23 when I started and had no such rational thoughts, just jumped right in and filled in a receding hairline. And the results were terrible.

Thankfully, those types of surgeries can be avoided today by choosing carefully, and by the technology available that was not back in the early 90's.

So, you will likely have the cost of keeping your prescriptions filled for the rest of your ife and likely will want future work done after your first session. Are you ready for this? These are questions you need to know must be answered before you even start.

In this respect, find a conservative look you are pleased with by careful consultation with your doctor and then you can make an informed decision.

And alot of questions you have can be answered right here as well so there is no reason to go into something unless you are completely sure its the right thing for you.

If you have any trepidation along the way after you've done enough research, then a HT is not right for you and perhaps accepting thinning hair would be best in the long run.

You can always change your mind at 30. icon_wink.gif

Im some what surprised that Dr. True would perform a ht on some one so young. He has gotten some praise from a lot of members (patients) on this forum, so Im sure he knows what he is talking about. He is a doctor. I am not.

Well, how do you feel about your current hair situation? I mean would you be comferable waiting a few more years or does it really bother you to the point that you want to take action?

I had a consultation when I was about 22 and Im VERY glad I have waited. Im 28 now.

Dr. True is rather conservative; so, for him to give the green light on an HT for you says something. Age is an *incredibly* over-looked factor, imo.

You've been on treatments, are responding well, and, from how it sounds, have a clear picture of where your hairloss is headed -- an incredibly important thing.

You will be getting a conservative transplant; impossible to say w/o pictures, but most likely it will not revolutionize the state of your hair. The biggest Q you should ask yourself, imo, is: do I want to go through with this first of several surgery (investigate what the surgery actually entails, recovery, etc.), spend the $, and get a result that while being a cosmetic improvement, will not be some mega-session that will give you full restoration/density.

If you can wait, I am sure in a few years time a doctor would be more willing to give you a robust session in but 1 session.

I would post some pictures; as well, do you know how many grafts Dr. True recommended appox.?

EDIT -- I am 22 and scheduled for an HT early-early 08'....it's not a simple decision, but, armed with the right information, the right potential doctor, and a particular perspective I think getting an HT at a young age CAN be ok.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

jst,

Welcome to our forum community.

Our hair restoration forum members have already given you some excellent advice.

Age is one important consideration for hair transplantation, but it is not the only thing. I think there are exceptions to the "don't transplant hair on younger patient's rule", especially for those younger patients with extensive hair loss, who are on hair loss medication such as Propecia, a long term hair restoration plan is worked out between an ethical hair transplant physician and patient, and the physician stays within the "universal safe zone" in the event of additional hair loss.

In other words, in my opinion, as long as these young patients are being treated as if they are inevitably going to become a level 7 on the norwood scale - it might be appropriate to perform hair transplant surgery if their donor universal safe zone is sufficient to meet the patient's hair restoration goals.

Bill

This is a tough subject and often discussed

At the end of the day it is the individuals decision so I hope it is an informed one. 23 is young and you do run the risk of progressive loss EVEN if you are on meds. There are no guarantees.

I have had 3 HT's with Dr. True and yes he is a bit conservative which is probably the best solution IF you are going to have a HT at this age to reserve donor hair for the future.

For me I'd probably wait a couple years , use concealers and continue on the meds. I understand how someone wants to fix this problem as well.

Tough call but I do know Dr. True to be a good guy and looks after a patients best interest. This does not mean I think it is right to get it done at 23 but again, it is your decision

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

sigh...its late and Im loaded (so don't take this too seriously) but Im wondering how these "concealers" actually work?...Aren't they a big pain in the ass? Don't know to be honest...Mrjb, answer my post with questions, damn it!!! right here: http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...121093353#7121093353

and dirty girls gotta be vaccumed....

zw019.jpg.d590b0511b8b12dd29de4d6598e335fa.jpg