Hairtransplantcenter.com ?

That's fine Lon. Just want to help you know all the facts before you make a decision.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Lon,

I think you've been offered a lot of good advice and, sadly, you are not wanting to follow it. I did as you did when I was a NW1 / NW2 - wanting to stay ahead of my hair loss. As my hair continued to thin and recede, my biggest problem was that the only hair left was the Mini & Micro Grafts. They're fine if you have other hair to cover them up, but they are not 'undetectable' at all in the hairline or if they are the only hairs left. Trust me on this. Instead, you will find yourself taking 30-minutes every morning to style your hair in a manner that manages a 50/50 compromise of contemporary style / plug coverage.

Take a look at what my hair was like before (with Mini & Micro Grafts) and why I needed to visit Dr. Shapiro to fix the problem. If I had the knowledge I do today (based on the photos and experience of this site), I would definitely have gone to Dr. Shapiro and not risked going to Bosley or anyone else still doing M&M grafts.

M&M Photo Album

You might also want to look at the Photos Section under Repair work as that's where you will again begin to see the difference between a hair transplant that merely grows hair and one that is truly undetectable.

Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

You guys have given alotta good advice and I appreciate it.I like to weigh pros and cons before I make a decision...Gives me alot to think about..

If you are looking at Norwood-Lehr you are going to get all FUE's with a strip. Lehr is recommended on this site and my experience was a good one. His tech's did all except removing the strip. Like I indicated before, until I see my results I will not be recommending for or against. The proof is in the results. I think if you go to someone like Hasson etc.. you will get alot more doc participation, trico, blades etc.. Lehr may be doing this now, I don't know. Go see him, ask questions etc... Don't rush into anything.

good luck in whatever you do.

Just one more thing, if you are a very low Norwood, you may want to give the meds a chance, if you are on and see where you end up, especially if you are young.

Talk to a few quality docs and see what they recommend.

Good luck.

Called again once at 9:00am this morning and again at 2:11pm, and once I identified myself, was asked to leave my number, (which I did last week), and I would be contacted........ I am starting to see a pattern here...

This clinics greatest claim to fame is this:

Betty Ann Studier, R. N., started studying hair replacement surgery in 1965, when she learned the procedure with Dr. O'Tar Norwood M.D., the doctor whose "NORWOOD CHART" is used as a measure of hair loss. Dr. Norwood wrote the first book on hair transplants, "Hair Transplant Surgery" and dedicated it to Betty Ann. She has received many accolades from the industry commending her work in the hair restoration field. (Copied and pasted from the website). Notice the VAGUE reference "many accolades from the industry".... Who or what is "the industry?"

Let's see, 1965....... 40 years ago!!!!!!

and we are talking about an R.N. NOT a surgeon here.

Sorry Fellow Members...... at this point in time I would have to say this place is not interested in proving its merit to an educated and inquisitive public..... or at least even returning my phone calls.....

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B-Spot,

Good job on purusing this as you have! This is just one more way to identify the top reputable locations from 'the others'.

M&M Weblog

OK, I think we are talking about two different doctors. I believe Betty Studier is with Hair Transplant Center (Tulsa, Oklahoma) and Doctor Scott Frayser. She started (I believe) with Dr. Norwood which is now run by Dr. Lehr at Norwood-Lehr (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma). I went to see Dr. Lehr who is recommended on this site. Dr. Frayser is not recommended on this site (I don't believe).

No wonder all of this is confusing.

hrthr-- You are correct--- I was trying to ascertain the level of quality and ethics at the clinic headed by Dr. Frayser, promoted by the website hairtransplantcenter.com. A new member Lon, recently asked if we knew anything about them, etc... I have been trying to talk to Mr. Campbell, part owner of the clinic, and he is unable to return my phone calls, or talk to me while he is there. I know Dr. Lehr is recommended on this site, but I have not really looked at ony of his latest work.... If he is OK'd by Pat, then he must be pretty solid!

Hope this clears this up for you!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Like I said in previous posts, I can't recommend someone until I see my own results. I know alot of people do so, but I can't. I did as much research on Dr. Lehr as I could, called previous patients, checked for complaints with medical association, checked this site and others, etc.. The only thing I didn't do was meet with previous patients. This just wasn't possible for me. He has a good website, but the pictures are not that good of quality. He has a CD with previous patients, interviews etc... For what it is worth.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Just to clear this up, I had a good experience with Dr. Lehr. He was very low key, no pressure and has been performing hair transplants since (if my memory is correct) 1998.

Again my advice to all is to do your homework and if your are interested go and talk to him. I drove down for my consult and didn't submit pictures because I wanted to check out his practice and talk to him in person.

To be honest, if you're only a NW1 or 2 you would have to be nuts to get a mini-micro( I like the way they call them that,makes them sound small) HT in the front of your hair. Believe us when we say you will look worse than what you do now.Is that your goal?

Yes I would like to clear up about the hairtransplant.com I used the phrase mini and micro grafts..which from what i understand can be misinterpreted because that terminology isn't used anymore. What I had meant was follicular units..Just like the other doctors use.

What I had meant was follicular units..Just like the other doctors use.

Phew!

Im glad to hear that Lon.In that case you should be sweet. But I would still give the meds a try first.

Originally posted by hrthr:

If your are looking at Oklahoma, have you looked at Lehr? I had strip with him 2-1-06. It is still too early for me to see results. I am not recommending him NOR against him. I will wait for my results before I do that. He does not use blades nor Trico, so perhaps you may want to look at another doc, but I think my results are going to be great.

What size needles does he use? .7,.8 and .9? What kinda density did he do for you?(Per square cm) Did he do any work on your temple area?..I'm curious how it turns out when a needle is used to make the angle on the temple area? Anyone got any pics? I have done research on Dr Lehr and he has good creditentials,good before and after pics.Usually end up with many extra free grafts...and the best price..Seriously considering him..

the main point is to ensure that each hair exists the scalp in a natural way or angle, without appearing unnatural.

I have heard that you can make the illusion of more hair and use less hair... using angulation and direction..How is that so, if you are putting it in with the same direction as your existing hair ? Most of the hair on the top of the head barely has an angle..isnt' that easy to accomplish with needles?

As far as cost goes he is very reasonable. He charged me for 2000 I received over 2600. But again don't let $$ be your primary factor. I had existing hair (although thin) in the front so I didn't get into how many grafts per cm. Obviously its going to vary depending on existing hair and shock loss (I had lots). I didn't have any temple work as mine were in fair shape. I did indicate I wanted lots of density up front (hense the shock loss). Mine is starting to come in, but still way to early to tell results (less than four months). He uses various size needles depending on the size of the graft. He could answer alot of these questions for you in more detail. I can't really comment on angle (blade vs. needle) as I don't really know the advantages and disadvantages.

Call or email him and discuss, as if it is possible go see him. I am a firm beliver in visiting in person.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by hrthr:

As far as cost goes he is very reasonable. He charged me for 2000 I received over 2600. But again don't let $$ be your primary factor. I had existing hair (although thin) in the front so I didn't get into how many grafts per cm. Obviously its going to vary depending on existing hair and shock loss (I had lots). I didn't have any temple work as mine were in

fair shape. I did indicate I wanted lots of density up front (hense the shock loss). Mine is starting to come in, but still way to early to tell results (less than four months). He uses various size needles depending on the size of the graft. He could answer alot of these questions for you in more detail. I can't really comment on angle (blade vs. needle) as I don't really know the advantages and disadvantages.

Call or email him and discuss, as if it is possible go see him. I am a firm beliver in visiting in person.

I sent my pics in and got some info..does anyone know if a 20 and a 23 gauge needle is standard? also if a person has thin hair what is a descent density count per square cm?

I always hear 40-50 per cm is able to give an appearance of "normal" density. The size of needle is something I can't comment on as I don't know. I think those of us with some existing hair are a challenge as you have to balance # grafts with shock loss and future hair loss. Hense the importance of picking the right doc. Its a coin toss IMP because you don't know what you may lose via shock loss that will stay gone.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up not using Dr Lehr. He wanted to put my hairline back further than it was and told me he could do me 20 to 25 hairs per square cm density. I felt this was too conservative for me. I ended up using Dr Boles from Georgia and got a 2173 fu transplant. I'm awaiting my results..here are some pics.

day_after_pic_2.jpg.32dcb14ee59704cfe8340f1bab521bb9.jpg

Hi Lon,

Do you happen to have a close-up image of the work after it was shampooed (less blood)?

Thanks and happy growing!

M&M Weblog

Originally posted by irish homer:

good luck with the HT. i'm 4 weeks ahead of you and the waiting is a killer icon_smile.gif

Thanks..i can always use good luck.Yea..I had alotta swelling in the back of my head around the stitches..Hope the cut doesn't turn out too raised and scarred looking ..I guess I will know before too long...also i have a cough..and i'm hoping it doesn't cause my grafts to push out some from all the force.