how many would i need?!?!

Hi action,

I am no expert by any means, but first a few questions:

Do you take finasteride or minoxodil? I personally haven't had much luck with minoxodil, although it does work nicely for some...some even state that they swear that it work on the hairline. If you don't take finasteride, I would suggest looking into it. BAsed on the picture you provided, it looks like you will indeed lost more hair in the middle section, and possibly more. Finasteride could potentially stop your hairloss where it is.

You should definately do your research as to what doc to use, etc, but it looks like you would definately benefit from a larger session, 3K-5K depending on what your donor area can handle. A good doc will be able to restore a natural looking age appropriate hairline and fill in a lot of that area nicely. Again, however, consider taking finasteride if you don't, because you will definately lose much more hair, especially since you are only 21 years old. I feel for ya man...I started losing my hair when i was 22 years old.

Bill

OOOPs hit the return button.

It appears that you have receded significantly early on, do your relatives have the same pattern of loss, less, significantly more?

This may be a good indicator of were you are headed, the bad news is you have lost a lot already, the good news may be that you are not going to lose a lot more. There are many of us that do not think someone at 21 should get an HT for fear that the loss will outlive the donor supply. As you have already lost a lot and if it is stabalized based upon your evaluation of your relatives and consulting a HT doc as well as perhaps your family dermatologist!

Good Luck

TMAN

hey everyone thanx for your opinion on my pics i really appreciate it!

im taking proscar doctor keene told me to start taking that, ive been on it for 9 months now and i havent lost anymore hair now, i havent been able to go to a consultation since i live in mexico i think its pointless to take the consultation until i have the money so i can schedule a date for my hair transplant, wow more than 2000!! i guess the most i could get would be around 5000 to 7000 bucks saving all this year and a coupple of months on the next one, i hope around 1600 and 2000 grafts would at least help me out. thanx everyone!

only my dad and his brother are bald men, from my moms side no one and other than my dad and his brother none have lost hair, i had to take at age 17 and 18 rooaccutane (its accutane but the mexican version), because i had serious acne problems, it helped so much no scars at all but i dunno if it screwed me on the hair side. i really want to get this fixed.

do as much as they can harvest from the donor area, the first is always the best. going back in just invites shock loss which is always a factor. plus the first few months after are not great but once you pass six months then you will be happy and want all you can get.

hey everyone! i think thats what im gonna do Bill start with 1600 hopefully 2000 that would be just great depends on the money, y some people have told me about that john se that the first months you just wait very impatiently until you start seeing hair grow. any difference will be great!

• Administrators

Those who would like to calculate different potential grafts needed are invited to use our animated graft calculator. Just visit wwww.HairRestorationNetwork.com and click on the link to the "Graft Calculator".

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Action,

I know HTs are the highlight here but talk to quite a few of the respected HT doctors out there before you do anything. My HT turned out great as did many people's that are on this forum. However, 21 years old with significant loss and a definite pattern would worry me about your suitability as a candidate. I know it is probably not what you want to hear. However, if even one doctor evaluates you in person and says its not a good idea you should see HUGE red flags. Many doctors will gladly take your money regardless how you end up.

I'd definitely start by talking to a doctor about Propecia. If anything it would buy you time to see if it can stabilize your loss and possibly regrow some hair. You have your whole life to get a HT...don't rush into something and find out that you don't have the donor hair to accomplish what you want/need...or worse end up looking horrible in the future with no way to fix it.

You can contact me at slomo30@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

Great response, Dart.

I feel like action is only slightly more recessed than I was at 21. The very best thing that he can do is to look into Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Nizoral. I wouldn't even waste time with any of the so-called topicals out there as I haven't seen conclusive evidence that any of them do anything. That regimen, known affectionately as the "Big 3" should be considered by anyone with MPB for at least a year before passing judgement.

Action, best of luck to you and above all else PLEASE do lots of research and ask tons of questions before going through with anything.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

i ahve done my research i was thinking about going to doctor keene because she has such great reviews and never heard anything bad about her on forums, ive bee taking proscar for a year no and it has made my hair loss stop, thank god, it would be until august 2006 till i could get my hair transplant due to the money issues, so saving up i can get it by 2006 and now i will be older ,23 years so is that a better age? thanx everyone for your opinions i really appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Action radar,

One needs a lot more grafts than what one plans initially.

Do you really want to go ahead.

You are way too young.

But if your mind is set, do research about the use of fue and body hair transplants.

BTW, I have done my bit of research and I recommend Dr.AP, New Delhi.

He is way easier on the pocket and I have seen some real good results.

Going to Dr.AP for Body hair transplant and fue

Actionradar Nile is right just make sure you do your homework as its a life changing deceison you will make my friend.But hey go and do it it will make a world of difference to your confidence.I also think you should wait to alteast 26 and stay on the Proscar.But hey its up to you.Goodluck.

Damo

Perhaps it's my naivity or the fact that I'm not as experienced as some of the veterans here, but I see no reason why he shouldn't proceed with an HT, if he finds the right Doc who can do a good job. i have seen patients with more hairloss than him get excellent results. It obviously will depend on your donor area and how much donor hair you have, but if your donor area has 4k to 5k grafts in it, I say, by all means, go for it if you find the right doc! You are young, that is your only downfall with this, BUT, most of your hair is already gone in the front...so as long as you write off ever doing any crown work if/when you lose the hair there, you should be satisfied. My advice...do your homework, check out some top docs, and see what they say at the consultation. What I am saying here is my opinion only and should not be taken as gospel. Good luck!

Edit --- Added Material ---

It is good that you are taking Proscar and it has stopped or at least slowed down your hairloss!

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

hey everyone i have done my research damo nile and Bill, i think im gonna go with Dr.Sharon Keene, what do you guys think? ive seen most of her pics and havent heard any bad reveiws of her so i think she would be great, i was seeing on this forum some post with people having more hair loss than me and doing 2050 grafts and they look great! i hope i dont need that much and that way it will be less explensive, oh i still continue the use of proscar, over here in mexico its cheap it costs 30 dollars for a pack of 30 wich will last for 120 days so thats pretty good.

action,

You have made a great choice in choosing Dr. Sharon Keene. She is highly skilled, very reputable, and most importantly, extrememly ethical. Her diagnosis will be one that looks out for your best interests both short and long-term.

Have you scheduled a consultation with her yet? If not, feel free to use her virtual consultation form to send her clinic the details on your situation and to schedule a date for the actual consultation.

Good luck!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog