Medical hair restorations, Denver, CO.

eugene

Does any one know anything about dr. Pauls @mhr in Denver?I'm going in aug of this year. I'm nervous, I met her and the staff, very nice seems very pro, any info out there>? She's been doing this for years, can any former patients reply to me, I feel good about everything, but would be very nice to visit with someone about her and former clients.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of that particular doctor, but I would advise not going to MHR. I've heard nothing but bad things about them. Do a search on this site and you'll see what I mean. Even if it means losing a deposit, I wouldn't let them touch my head.

• 1 year later...

I just had my procedure done by Dr Pauls and I can tell you that I am very happy with the results. I went for 3,000 FUs and had a great experience. She was actually able to harvest 3,524 FUs! I was very pleased with the staff, very knowledgeable and very helpful. I've seen a number of negative MHR comments on the site but I can tell you that I am one happy customer thus far. I'll keep posting updates on my progress but this is one MHR patient that doesn't believe all the talk about quacks, mills and the like. In fact, I was the only patient scheduled on this day, the calendar that I saw looked pretty full for the month with only one or maybe two (if they were both lower FU procedures) procedures scheduled for each day.

AndrewYoung-

Please understand, on average, MHR has produced far from consistent results over the years and butchered many a HT candidate. I've never heard of Dr. Pauls, but just because she works for MHR doesn't make her bad. If you JUST received the 3,524 grafts, time will tell what the results will be. If you can post some before/afters, we can get some indication of the quality of work you received simply by looking at the incisions and graft placement. Can you post some pics for us? icon_smile.gif

Welcome to the forum, I hope you hand around for awhile icon_cool.gif.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Usually most of the MHR patients I speak with often confuse hairs and grafts.

They think are receiving and paying for 3500 grafts, but they all seem to receive around 1500 grafts.

Tell you what Andrew---- Let's see some post-op pics and have your Doc give you the size ofyour strip that was removed.

I will bet its about 18-19cm X 1cm wide

In addition, lets see some pics of your donor area that shows where the incision was made.

(just in case the numbers are fudged.

I certainly hope you received the amount of hair and grafts you are posting.

The clinic should be able to provide you with all of this information within a few minutes of your call.

Post op pics of the recipient area and donor area.

Dimensions of the strip removed

Hair and Graft breakdown.

Until then, I would ask that you stop posting about your "glowing" MHR results until we can ascertain the level of care you actually received.

I see where you revived a thread from 06, so do not be surprised if you are not welcomed with open arms.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Dang B, I was feeling fairly welcome until I read your scalding of me. I can at least appreciate what hairbank is saying and agree. I've been to some good Outback steakhouses and I've also been to some crappy ones. I'll be the first to admit, I was apprehensive about them from quietly following this forum for the previous few months before my HT. I have posted some pics- keep in mind I am a terrible photographer, the 3524 number was grafts, not hairs. Sitting there all day listening to the radio, instead of watching a movie or doing something else, I didn't count but I believe the 3524. In fact, they originally had 3000 incisions and Pauls came back in to make the remaining 500. Most of mine were groups of 2's and 3's with a good number 4's - I'll get the exact breakdown of the number of hairs for you when I get back with them - I know they told me that day but I was too tired and ready to go home to write the exact number down. I'll also get the donor strip dimensions - I do know that it was a fairly thin one at least from what they were used to and from what they said. Apparently, I had a real good donor area as far as number of grafts but my hair is pretty fine. As I've said, I posted some day 1 pics that I took tonight and I'll be sure to post the more professional ones they took when I get the disc at my suture removal. I was merely responding to someone asking about Pauls (this was the original query right?), hairbank informed me of my error in reviving an old post (sorry, new to posting just about anywhere) but thank you for making me feel so welcome.

My Hair Loss Blog

Hi

Good point AY and I know B Spot did not intend to appear as he was "scalding you" .. Keep in mind we are a close knit group on here and will only recommend doctors which we know have a proven track record through documentation, photo's and personal feedback ( and a visit by Hairforce one of course). This does not mean there are any other good docs out there as you pointed out. However, you will not see the core members on this site endorse them especially for persons inquiring about getting a HT..It is just giving advice based on facts which are tangible

We look forward to seeing Dr. Pauls work

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

No Prob AY,

Sorry you felt unwelcome Bro'

You just have no idea how many men just like yourself have fallen prey to the MHR/Bosley marketing machine.

Your Doc could in fact be OK, but I would feel somehow responsible if one of us did not cast some doubt on your experience with MHR.

This is NOTHING against YOU PERSONALLY.

I hope from the bottom of my heart that what you say is 100% accurate and that your results are amazing.

The fact is, when you could have flown to Minnesota, Vancouver, New York, or even went to Dr. Harris in Colorado for the same cost or less than what you paid at MHR, it is a bitter pill to swallow.

MHR and Bosley have constant turnover, because for the Docs they employ to make ANY money, they must have 2 or 3 patients a day.

That means cutting costs by having fewer staff, less equipment and in general trying to automate the procedure for optimal cost to time efficiency.

This often includes incisions that are overly large and widely spaced to make it very easy for the techs and to speed up the process.

Trust me when I say that is not a good thing for you.

I reiterate, this nothing against you personally.

We only get a few chances to get this right Andrew, so it is imperative that we make the right choices from the beginning.

Happy Healing and Good Growing

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B Spot,

No hard feelings here. I posted on another thread about my comments so I thought I'd just copy a couple of them over here.

I do understand the skepticism toward MHR in general here and as I said somewhere, any chain is going to have its good and bad. I am sure if you took a group of 30 or 40 docs, put them togehther into some cohesive grouping, you are sure to find the same thing within that population. So, if I sometimes come off as a bit defensive that is probably why.I felt like I had a great experience. All the things that you and others have mentioned here were part of my procedure by my Doc, the staff was knowledgeable, I felt completely at ease with her approach, careful attention to detail and really didn't see anything different than what others have said about some of the top docs mentioned here. She placed a good number of grafts herself, the techs that worked on me seemed very professional and my experience was no different than what many have said about some of the top docs here. I did get to meet a couple of past patients and I was really impressed with the results I saw in person. The true test, of course, is time. Healing, how the final outcome looks etc but so far so good.

I've also heard others address the hairmill issue. I was the only surgery scheduled the day I went, which was nice given that I had all the techs and the Docs full attention from 8 until after 5 pm. I do know from talking with them that they do sometimes schedule two a day but this is normally when the procedures are only 1000 to 1500 per patient. I even saw the board and from the three times I went in to talk to them before my HT, I only saw glimpses of one other patient in process. So, at least here in Denver, I don't think the hairmill comment applies.

I plan on keeping my blog updated - for good or bad. Just as you and some of the other regular contributors here I want this to be education and if there is a good doc or a bad doc, I think people need to know.

Andrew,

Ah...I finally found this thread...I posted on another thread also regarding this...but I'm glad that you and B Spot have kissed and made up. None of that guys kissing guys stuff here! :P I keep trying to tell B Spot that...but he just simply doesn't listen to me anymore. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though...we DO hope that you have outstanding results. Many of us have just seem too many horror stories about some of these clinics and worry for people like you when we hear you've gone there. But...there are some quality docs in these organizations...they just seem far and few between. Hopefully your doc is one of them!

Bill

Great attitude, AY, look forward to posting with you and seeing your results as they come along. icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I just posted some day 2 pics with some help from the wife. I shouldn't be amazed that the woman I married is so supportive of me. She told me she was fine with the way I looked but that if this was something I wanted to do for myself, then I should go for it. I think deep down, she knows how much this has bothered me for such a long time. Anyway, hopefully, with her help, I was able to post better day 2 photos. I'll get back to B Spot and others about the graft/hair breakdown, suture line size and all but I would value any thoughts anyone has from the initial photos. I know it's early but is there anything I should have concern about?

HB, a shout out to you. Thanks for the spot of confidence! You guys are sure cheaper than a psych! LOL

So far it looks like a good clear procedure. Good growing to you Andrew.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Yup, looks clean

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Andrew,

I think your post proceedure results look very good. Although the climate on this network historically has not been complimentary to the chain/conglomerate providers, I recall there being a few fairly positive posts regarding Dr. Pauls.

Phil

PCC,

Thanks for that. It helps when guys like you, Bill, Jobi, HB and Gorp have looked at the photos and provided some positives. Makes me feel a lot better having experience say so it looks good. Of course, I am looking forward to six months from now, hopefully hearing the same things.

I heard back from the patient director today and she forwarded my message on to Pauls to give me all the answers that B had been asking. She mentioned that Doc had two smaller procedures and a couple follow ups going today, so it might be tomorrow before I hear back. Can't wait to know what the final count was!

I have read these forums over the past year and have always wondered why so few people choose to post here.

It has became more obvious to me now after seeing AndrewYoung attacked by BSpot immediately after posting.

Bspot accuses him of not knowing how many grafts he got.

BSpot claims the doc does 2 or three surgeries a day.

BSpot was proven wrong by Andrew on both accounts.

BSpot maybe you should chill a bit, and then these boards wouldn't be so exclusive to just a few posters.

Yes you have had 2 transplants, but does that really make you the expert on everything?

Also telling the poster to "stop posting" about his glowing results until he puts up more info.

Give me a F*ing break!

Byehair,

You've read these forums over the last year and you choose, as your first post, to attack B Spot after reconciliation and forgiveness already occurred between him and Andrew. So what is your motive? Are you trying to get a fight started?

I'll assume that you are just sharing your opinion, so allow me to share mine:

B spot certainly isn't an expert in everything but certainly has a lot of knowledge about hair transplantation and certainly has proven that he is here to help. But he has admitted that his approach to Andrew was wrong a bit brisk. Surely he is not perfect...nor is anyone.

And for the record...I am certain that the few times that somebody has accidentally offended people is NOT the reason that more people aren't here and posting on this forum. Besides...if what you say is true, you've been here lurking for a year...something has kept you here.

Now my advice...

Since the offense was to Andrew and Andrew could forgive, I recommend you take a step back, take a deep breath, and contribute constructively.

Bill

Byehair-

Whoa..........you're doing the exact same thing the you accuse B spot of doing......attacking another poster. Please, lighten up icon_smile.gif.

Are the forum members here perfect............Nope! Far from it. MAYBE, B spot was a little critical of AndrewYoung's initial post, however, many times in the past new posters raving about a Doc or reviving old threads are here with a hidden agenda. Thankfully, after some dialogue, AndrewYoung has shown to be "the real deal" and a valuable addition to this site. AND, I might add that though he was a little taken aback at first by the post, once light was shed as to the reason, he understood and everything's fine.

IMO..........yes, B spot is pretty close to an expert on many of the finer points of hair transplantation. At the very least, he is a very well educated Sr. Poster here who cares about the Doctors this site represents and equally cares about giving honest, unbiased advice for the good of everyone in an attempt to help those suffering from hair loss.

This is your first post and since it's an attack of one of the forum members I'm assuming your goal is not to hang around here to try and help others, just smear another who is trying to do so. If you'd like to participate and try to help those frequenting the site, cool, hang around and enjoy. Otherwise....please do everyone a favor and move on.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog