Nine Month Report

Originally posted by nobuzz4me:

Well said NG,

I for one care more about a patients scalp than any doctor's reputation. This patient feels bad enough as it is with the poor HT result (so far), and should he now feel guilty for damaging a reputation? I cerainly hope not.

Thats EXACTLY how I feel. Im here to help my balding brothers and thats it. Top 2-3 icon_rolleyes.gif

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I would consider this thread a "travesty" or a...."witch hunt"....or that the people supporting....the patient....should be condescendingly asked to...."educate themselves".... .....

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Well here comes the part where the doctor is defended by the backslappers, most of whom have never had a procedure performed by the said doc. And the patient is quietly dismissed as the panicky wolf cryer.

Let me get this straight. A patient who uses this board to express concern and doubt (about his/her own personal procedure, his/her own personal experience, his/her own results he/she lives with everyday) is now a smear merchant?

I got the memo now.

The bottom line is it is 9 months.. You cannot judge a final result yet .. Not defending the doc just a well known fact. Some docs claim 14 months to 2 years even for final results for slow gorwers

If at the end of 14 months it is the same situation then start looking into soultions but until then its a mute point in my mind. Concern is one thing but prejuging is not fair to anyone including the patient.

Blaming a quality doctor is not the answer. i'm sure Dr. Epstein would be open to speaking when the time comes.

Surgery is NOT 100% and the patient needs to understand the risks. It's not like he is dealing with a poor doctor

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Dear forum members,

I had a long and in depth conversation with Dr. Epstein this morning regarding TTDS and other patient concerns. I feel that the conversation was very helpful in getting an overall understanding of this situation and his practice.

At the Hair Transplant Network, we work hard to make sure our physicians are held accountable and continue to perform state of the art results. In speaking with Dr. Epstein, it is obvious that he is very passionate about his work and has a heart for his patients. He also has an outstanding record of producing quality patient results and overall has been quite consistent. He realizes this situation is very upsetting to the patient and is very upset over it himself.

As I have stated previously, the technicians can make or break a procedure and damaged grafts during the dissection process, holding process, or placement process can impact overall hair growth. Dr. Epstein reguarly oversees his staff and since this situation, he has been heavily scrutinizing their work even more than normal. Dr. Epstein firmly believes they are still performing the same high level of quality work that we expect from Dr. Epstein.

Additionally, Dr. Epstein has personally invited Pat and me to come to visit his clinic anytime so that we can see for ourselves that he and his staff are still meeting our high level of expectations and standards of the Coalition. I still believe that Dr. Epstein is dedicated to performing state of the art hair transplantation and a high level of patient care.

None of this however, changes the concerns of the patient, and at 9 months, clearly we all would have hoped to have seen better hair growth. But as tempting as it is to make a final judgment of the result today - giving this surgery not only a chance to fully mature which is highly important, but also giving Dr. Epstein the benefit of the doubt based on his proven track record.

It would also be helpful to see before and immediately postoperative pictures so we can get an understanding of how far this patient has actually progressed. Recent pictures I have seen show hair in the front 2/3rd of the scalp with a completely bald crown. If all of this is transplanted hair, I'd suggest this patient is at 60 or 70% hair growth which is only slightly below the average. Based on Dr. Epstein's input and a photo outlining the frontal half where the work was to be performed in, he believes hair was at placed at least in this area but most likely went further back knowing full well that a second procedure was planned to increase overall hair density, making the transition from hair piece to hair transplant easier. I realize that this patient said that hair was transplanted in the frontal third, but I also know that sometimes it's hard to evaluate exactly how much of the scalp is 1/3, 1/2, etc. Immediately postoperative pictures would help give a more clear idea however, it does not appear that these are available.

I have also talked to Dr. Epstein in detail and confirmed with a few other leading physicians including Dr. Ray Konior and Dr. Sharon Keene of the Coalition about the possibility of a hair piece slowing down or even more rarely stunting hair growth. I have also had confirmation from a hair transplant patient and former hair piece wearer that he too had delayed growth. Applying the hair piece too soon after surgery could potentially damage the grafts however, this is typically safe after about 10 days. There are variations in hair pieces, but sometimes wearing a hair piece especially regular use of one that is not well ventilated, can slow down and potentially even inhibit hair growth. Additionally, friction caused by the hair piece on the scalp can cause a temporary loss of those hairs affected. As a strange but accurate example of this, in the winter time, the hair on my legs is less dense because the friction of my pants against my leg causes temporary thinning of the hair. Regular wearing of a wig may also suffocate the hair follicles creating a problem with overall scalp circulation. It would be in TTDS' best interest therefore, to significantly minimize or eliminate the use of his hair piece and only wear one that is highly ventilated.

Though in most cases, patients see good hair growth at 9 months, it is possible that TTDS is just a slow grower. This is not desirable, but it has happened before. Even Pat (our Publisher) experienced very delayed hair growth from his 4th hair transplant and saw significant improvement between 9 and 12 months.

It should also be known that no physician can bat a 1000. For unknown reasons, sometimes a patient will just experience poor hair growth. Though physicians do everything they can to ensure this doesn't happen, researching any physician who is publicly transparent will lead you to patients who are less than satisfied with their results, even when the majority of the results are consistently positive. However, it is too early to determine whether or not this is a failed hair transplant.

Regarding the other patients who are only at 6 months post-op, it's highly important to give the transplant a chance to fully mature before making an evaluation. I know it's discouraging, but read all the remarks to KevKristy from veteran members who state how normal this on the following thread.

All we can do now is wait things out to see how his and other hair transplants progress. I encourage TTDS to remain in contact with Dr. Epstein so that he can help him through this. Though its preferable that the grafts grow in the first time, in the event that it is needed, Dr. Epstein will be more than willing to replace any grafts that don't grow for free.

I hope and trust that our members will reserve judgment on Dr. Epstein who has an immpeccable record of producing state of the art results.

Best wishes,

Bill

I have also talked to Dr. Epstein in detail and confirmed with a few other leading physicians including Dr. Ray Konior and Dr. Sharon Keene of the Coalition about the possibility of a hair piece slowing down or even more rarely stunting hair growth.

Why didn't Epstein inform TTDS this at the time of his surgery then?

While the rest of it sounds calm, cool, and level headed....I dunno. Four or so patients who have significant concerns who are all at 6 months+ post op? They should be at 60% growth by now, let alone TTDS 9 month (?)...In addition, while post-op pics would be 'helpful' for TTDS, it really isn't that important, in that he was totally BALD prior to the procedure. We should be able to tell if 2,500 (or however many) grafts are growing out of his BALD head? What does it matter where they were placed? Unless Dr. E put them in his side burns or beard or something, it really doesn't matter----

he was *BALD*...

It was previously sited that 4-5 patients w/poor growth a year is a "meager" 5% of his annual clientel; and that the 'x' factor was attributed to be the culprit, in discussions w/other experts in the industry (i.e. Feller & Matt Shapiro's patient educator) they claim there is NO 'x' factor, w/the exception of grafts "thinning" on those patients who have 'quirky' genes. Even still, it is no where near 5% (?)...and the 'thinning' phenomena is SURELY not what is happening w/these patients. they simply are not GROWING the grafts that were placed...

Sure, it all sounds level-headed: we want to give him the benefit of the doubt, the patients aren't *fully* matured yet, etc. etc...

-BUT-

I dunno...four or five patients ALL w/the same problem, that is *no* growth, and one of them is already NINE months out? Most, if not all, of the grafts should already be visible on his scalp, they would merely not be matured yet...too many 'bad' coincedences as far as Im concerned...

Ya know, I don't believe that anyone should be crucified -- i.e., Dr. Epstein -- but I don't believe he has been. The vast majority of comments and concerns, if not all of them, have been pretty straightforward, inquisitive questions into the given cases, which are indeed startling given Dr. Epsteins "reputation" -- NG2GB's post above, included.

Sure, none of the people are fully *matured* (which is different from growth, and I'm not saying they are *fully* grown, either), and this should be taken into account as it is part of the whole picture; just like the fact that there are numerous cases of poor growth/results that have been presented, which should be taken into account.

Any sort of conclusive judgement should, of course, be weighted against a ~12month result. At this point in time, I see a grouping of troubling cases, and some questions regarding the prevalence of "X factors", patient information, and graft growth n' quotes.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Hey TTDS WAS your piece one that could breathe?

Did you use clips or glue?

How long after the procedure did you start wearing it?

Does the piece move alot on your head ?

Did Dr Epstein warn you about the possibilities of slow or no growth from wearing it?

Alot of guys wear hats and bandanas for months but that doesnt inhibit growth.

My suggestion to you is to shave you head to avoid the bozo look and start back up on the foam. The part Bill cited about the friction is real. Not convinced about the rest because there are ton of guys wore pieces after surgery and their growth was fine.

Its impossible to determine whos fault this is but I would take the rug off and see what happens .What if you happen to be the RARE guy that gets no growth Do you want to go through other surgery for the hell of it.

All you can do is give it some more time.

I think the fact that a few others arent happy with their surgery concerns me .These were all done within months of each other.

Obviously Dr Epstein hasnt dismissed my theory on the techs being the cause since I just read how hes really on their ass now.

Originally posted by kevkristy:

Hairthere

I think I included the word "average" in Bill's quote. And I do understand that average does not include all.

However, 9 months is 9 months. No matter which way you slice it.

Additionally, I think my "experience" counts as much as yours, if not more. I'm the one going through the so-called "panic." So I can relate with TTDS.

It's a real sickening feeling.

I know by now, six full months post surgery, I thought for sure I'd be well on my way, enjoying spring (sans hat), excited about growth and looking forward to what's coming. And I'm sure TTDS feels similarly, possibly worse.

Hang in there TTDS. Let us know what you hear back from the doctor.

-KK

Before you panic check out my pics. The first shots were taken in Dr Shapiros office 12 months post op of 1K grafts with Ivan Cohen. The second pic is taken 16 months post op. I doubt all of the regrowth was from foam and Propecia and also included the HT growing in.

I have also thickened up quite a bit since the last photo was taken in Dec of 2007 and will have photos up soon taken from the same angle and lighting conditions

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/albumcomm...861/m/5281051253/p/1

Hey guys.

I'm curious if any of the other docs would step in here and say if thay had any patients that had a similiar situation (slow growth at nine months)that don't post on this forum....I know that sounds silly...just a thought.

Is Epstein the only doc ????

I agree with MRJB... anyone with growth issues at six months has to step back,relax and wait.

It's just to early.

I think lumping them in with our brother that has little growth at nine months should be re-thought.

About the x-factor thing.

Interesting that another doc would say there is no X-factor....i would like to learn more about this.

If you look back in this thread I posted studies from Dr.Bernstein and Dr Rassman.

In that PAGE 88 paragraph i left out exactly that.

Quote:

"causes for delayed growth have theoretical explanations(published in the literature as H- or X- factors),however this phenomenon is not well understood and is,fortunately ,uncommon"

They then go on and mention these rare cases take between 12-24 months to grow and mature.

And the patient may need additional work...an unlucky patient.

I'm a Dr.Epstein patient but I gotta tell ya I wouldn't defend anything or anyone that's flat out wrong.

I got a bit twisted after reading this thread about my own situation and requested my before photos from Epstein's office today...they e-mailed them an hour ago.

I realize I'm only in the early stages(4 1/2 months)...but i gotta tell ya...it's a big difference.

It took me to look at the old photos to see the difference...hairline is totally re-built.

I know my happy story is not going to help our buddy at this moment...but maybe it will.

It's hard to believe Dr.Epstein screwed up after 10,000 surgeries (just a guess on that amount :-)

I think all of us would really like to know the truth.

Is he that unlucky patient that just is going to take alot longer...I wonder....i hope this for him.

Have any other docs experienced this before ???

He's what's important here.

Hope I didn't put anyone to sleep...lol

MH

stupid, but true thought:

I don't like the fact that the 'techs' were giggling trying to remember who danced w/who at the club the night before and how MANY *drinks* they had, perhaps they were still tipsy the next morning or had a horrific hang-over (?)...

I would be shi$$ing in my pants and all over the dreaded CHAIR if I heard such a discussion while they were handling my precious follicles...

I'd probably grab my grafts from them and run out the door w/my 5,000 bloody slits all over my head, run to AMPM buy some ice, and try and insert them myself...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz icon_wink.gif

You know theres a difference between slow growers and no growers. Even in very slow growers hairs still do sprout by at least 6 months .It may only be 20% but there is some growth.

I also find it hard to believe that Epstein just all of a sudden lost his touch.

If after 12 months these 3 or so complaints are still valid we would know that its was the fault of the clinic . Hopefully no ones at fault.

At least you know hes got your back.Some places would just say go F yourself

Originally posted by Jeffrey Epstein MD, FACS:

DEAR FORUM MEMBERS- I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK- HOW MY REPUTATION OVER THE COURSE OF 5 PAGES HAS GONE FROM ONE OF THE 2 OR 3 TOP SURGEONS IN THIS SPECIALTY TO ONE WHO NEARLY EVERY POSTER IS QUESTIONING MY INTEGRITY, MY DEVOTION TO MY WORK, AND MY WORK. THIS IS TRULY A TRAVESTY.

I HELD OFF ON ENTERING PUBLICLY THIS FORUM AFTER REPLYING TO MY PATIENT IN THE PROPER WAY A PHYSICIAN SHOULD- PRIVATELY AND WITH DEEP SINCERITY. I REASSURED THIS PATIENT THAT I DID NOT KNOW THE CAUSE OF HIS LESS THAN EXPECTED HAIR GROWTH AT THIS TIME- BUT WAS CONSIDERING SEVERAL REASONS, THAT HE REPEATED- THE MAIN ONE BEING HIS CONTINUED WEARING OF THE HAIR PIECE. HOWEVER, THERE IS AN "X" FACTOR - THAT EVERY SINGLE COLLEAGUE OF MINE, EVERY ONE WHO IS PART OF THIS COALITION- HAS EXPERIENCED. THAT X FACTOR IS THE OCCASIONAL LOWER THAN EXPECTED RATE OF GROWTH THAT, DESPITE OUR BEST EFFORTS, OCCURS FOR AN UNKNOWN REASON- YES, PAT AND BILL ARE CORRECT IN THEORY- IT CAN BE DUE TO POOR GRAFT HANDLING OR DESSICATION (DRYING OUT).

HOWEVER, HERE IS MY POSITION.

I PERFORM 500 PROCEDURES EVERY YEAR- PERSONALLY, WITH THE SAME TEAM OF 15 ASSISTANTS I HAVE HAD WORKING WITH ME FOR YEARS- SEVERAL HAVE BEEN WITH ME FOR 10 TO 14 YEARS! THESE ARE THE SAME ASSISTANTS WHO WORKED ON JULY 4TH, 2007- ASSISTANTS WHO DO THEIR VERY BEST, UP TO THE VERY HIGHEST STANDARDS, EVERY SINGLE DAY. THERE WAS NO "I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE ELSE?" THERE WAS NO "DRYING OUT OR MISHANDLING OF GRAFTS BY INEXPERIENCED ASSISTANTS" THERE WAS NO "DR. EPSTEIN IS COMPROMISING QUALITY".

AFTER ALMOST 15 YEARS OF PUTTING MY HEART AND SOUL INTO MY PRACTICE- TO WHERE PATIENTS KNOW THAT THEY WILL TREATED BY ONE OF THE BEST TRAINED, MOST DEMANDING SURGEONS IN THE FIELD- I HAVE EARNED MY PLACE AS ONE OF THE BUSIEST IN THE FIELD OF SURGICAL HAIR RESTORATION.

I INVITE YOU TO GO AHEAD AND ASK DRS. CHARLES, NUSBAUM, FELLER, SHAPIRO, BERNSTEIN, MEJIA, STOUGH, RASSMAN, HASSON, MCANDREWS, HABER, COOLEY, PARSLEY, KNUDSEN- EVERY ONE OF THEM, TO A TEE, KNOWS OF MY INTEGRITY AND THE QUALITY OF MY WORK.

I TRULY FEEL LIKE THIS THREAD HAS BECOME A WITCH HUNT- I THOUGHT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT ONLY HAPPENS IN POLITICS- AND I AM NOT A POLITICIAN, NOT "W' BUSH, NOT BILL CLINTON, NOT CHENEY, NOT OBAMA- RATHER A BOARD CERTIFIED FELLOWSHIP TRAINED FACIAL PLASTIC SURGEON, WHO SPECIALIZES IN THIS SPECIALTY PERFORMING 2 PROCEDURES EVERY DAY BECAUSE I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT MY WORK, LOVE MY PATIENTS, AND AM REALLY TALENTED AT IT.

I INVITE EVERY ONE OF THE POSTERS ON THIS THREAD TO COME VISIT MY OFFICE. PAT HAS. TO SEE HOW I AND MY TEAM OF ASSISTANTS ALL WORK ON ONE PROCEDURE AT A TIME, EVERY ASSISTANT WITH 3 ICED PETRI DISHES INTO WHICH THEY PLACE EACH INDIVIDUAL 1, 2, AND 3 HAIR GRAFTS. HOW MY 6 "PLANTER" ASSISTANTS- EVERY ONE WHO HAS BEEN WORKING WITH ME FOR A MINIMUM OF 4 YEARS, 5 OF WHOM HAVE BEEN WORKING IN THIS SPECIALTY FOR 7 TO 14 YEARS- PLACE EACH SINGLE GRAFT INTO THE SMALLEST POSSIBLE RECIPIENT SITES, SIZED 0.6 TO 0.8, OCCASIONALLY 0.9 MM IN SIZE, EVERY ONE THAT I PERSONALLY MAKE.

I AM TRULY CONCERNED ABOUT THE RESULTS THIS PATIENT HAS RECEIEVED, AND I TOLD HIM THAT. I ALSO TOLD HIM THAT, IN THOSE FEW CASES IN WHICH THIS HAPPENS, I WILL REPLACE THOSE GRAFTS THAT DO NOT GROW, AT NO CHARGE.

DO YOU REALIZE THE ILLOGICAL NATURE OF THE COMMENTS MADE HERE- SOME POSTERS ARE SAYING THAT 2500 GRAFTS IS TOO SMALL- INSINUATING THAT ONLY A FEW DOCTORS ARE CAPABLE OF PERFORMING THESE STATE OF THE ART PROCEDURES. I HAVE IN FACT PERFORMED PROCEDURES OF AS LARGE AS 4300 GRAFTS- BUT FOR THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF PATIENTS, 2400 TO 2800 GRAFTS SEEMS TO BE THE IDEAL NUMBER. NOT PLACING ENOUGH GRAFTS WAS NOT THE CAUSE OF THIS PATIENT'S RELATIVELY DISAPPOINTING COVERAGE AT THIS 9 MONTH MARK- RATHER, HE HAS EXPERIENCED A LOWER PERCENTAGE OF GROWTH THAN EXPECTED.

JUST YESTERDAY I PERFORMED A SECOND PROCEDURE ON A MAN FROM SARASOTA- FIRST PROCEDURE I PERFORMED IN MID-SEPTEMBER, 2400 GRAFTS- AND AT 3 1/2 MONTHS HE HAD OUTSTANDING COVERAGE, AND YESTERDAY AT THE 7 MONTH MARK I DID A LITTLE FILLING IN UP FRONT WITH THE MAJORITY OF THE WORK PLACED INTO THE MID SCALP AND CROWN REGION.

DID I DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT ON THIS PATIENT? NO.

I INVITE EVERY ONE OF YOU TO GO THROUGH MY WEBSITE- SEE THE LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF PATIENTS' BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS. LOOK CLOSELY AT THE HAIRLINES, THE DENSITY, AND READ THE COMMENTS THAT MANY OF THESE PATIENTS HAVE MAILED INTO ME UNSOLICITED.

JUST 2 WEEKS AGO, IN SOUTH FLORIDA, AN 18 YEAR OLD TEEN HAVING A BREAST AUGMENTATION DIED ON THE OPERATING ROOM TABLE. ANESTHESIA COMPLICATION. HAPPENS ONE IN EVERY 10,000 CASES. RESPECTED PLASTIC SURGEON- DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG FROM EVERYTHING I CAN TELL, YET HERE THIS YOUNG GIRL DIED.

THIS IS MEDICINE. YOU, AS A PROSPECTIVE PATIENT, CAN ONLY DO YOUR HOMEWORK, AND FIND THE MOST RESPECTED, DILIGENT, HARD WORKING, HONEST, ARTISTIC, DEVOTED SURGEON - AND THEN AFTER THAT, THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED INDIVIDUAL VARIATION. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL, UNFORTUNATELY, AS TO THE RATE AND SPEED OF GROWTH OF TRANSPLANTED HAIRS, PROVIDED THAT I PERFORM THESE PROCEDURES UP TO THE VERY HIGHEST STANDARDS. THAT IS WHY THERE CAN NEVER BE A "GUARANTEE" AS TO THE OUTCOME. I CAN TELL PROSPECTIVE PATIENTS THAT IN OVER 90% OF MY PATIENTS, THERE WILL BE SOME NICE EARLY GROWTH AT THE 3 TO 4 MONTH MARK, AND THAT AT 9 MONTHS THERE SHOULD BE 70 TO 80% OF THE FINAL RESULT- BUT THERE IS INDIVIDUAL VARIATION. I CAN ALSO TELL PATIENTS THAT I CAN ASSURE THEM THAT THEIR WORK WILL BE PERFORMED TO THE VERY HIGHEST STANDARDS, AND THAT THEIR RESULTS WILL BE NATURAL IN APPEARANCE.

LOOK AT WHAT I CAN CONTROL:

1. ARTISTRY OF THE HAIRLINE- I INVITE EVERY ONE OF YOU TO GO THROUGH MY WEBSITE PHOTOS AND SEE THE AESTHETICS OF MY HAIRLINES. THERE MUST BE AT LEAST 400 HAIRLINES THAT I SHOW CLOSE UP.

2. FINENESS OF THE DONOR SITE SCAR- ALTHOUGH THERE ARE PATIENT VARIABLES IN THIS AS WELL, BUT GO AHEAD AND LOOK AT THE 50 TO 70 OR SO DONOR SITE SCARS THAT I SHOW ON MY WEBSITE.

3. EDUCATING AND CHOOSING OF PATIENTS- JUST LAST WEEK, I CANCELLED A PROCEDURE ON AN IRAQI WAR VET, A 28 YEAR OLD, WHO HAD UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS OF THE SURGERY, AND WHOM I THOUGHT LOOKED QUITE GOOD WITH HIS HEAD SHAVED. HE HAD PAID 100% OF HIS SURGICAL FEE- WHICH I RETURNED, AND LEFT ME WITH A HALF DAY OF 15 PAID ASSISTANTS WITH NO WORK TO DO. NOT EVEN AN ISSUE AS TO WHAT WAS THE PROPER THING TO DO. I FELT HE WAS BEST OFF NOT HAVING A PROCEDURE, AT LEAST FOR THE NEXT YEAR OR SO, UNTIL HE FIGURES SOME THINGS OUT AND UNDERSTANDS THE LIMITATIONS OF THE PROCEDURE.

4. MY REPUTATION- I CAN ONLY LOOK EVERY PATIENT IN THE EYE AND TELL THEM THAT I STAND BY MY WORK, WILL ALWAYS DO THE VERY BEST I CAN, AND WILL NEVER RIP OFF A PATIENT.

I DO NOT HAVE INFORMERCIALS. I DO NOT HAVE A YELLOW PAGE AD. I DO NOT DO PRINT, RADIO, OR TV ADVERTISING. NOTHING OTHER THAN WORD OF MOUTH- BY OVER 5000 HAPPY AND HAIRIER PATIENTS, AND BY A NUMBER OF MY PHYSICIAN COLLEAGUES.

I HOPE THAT EVERY ONE OF YOU, BEFORE YOU BECOME JURY, JUDGE, AND EXECUTIONER TO MY REPUTATION ALL AT ONCE, CHOOSE TO TAKE A MOMENT TO EDUCATE YOURSELVES, AND PROCEED INTELLIGENTLY AND APPROPRIATELY. THESE POSTINGS HAVE DONE LITTLE OTHER THAN TO UNDERMINE THE PHYSICAN-PATIENT RELATIONSHIP.

I AM ONE OF THE DOCTORS WHO HAS ALWAYS WANTED THIS SITE TO TAKE THE HIGH ROAD. HAVE ARGUED AGAINST PAID CONSULTANTS POSTING COMMENTS ON THIS SITE OTHER THAN PROVIDING NON-BIASED EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION. HAVE PUBLICLY COME OUT IN THE JOURNALS AGAINST SURGEONS PAYING HAIRDRESSERS AND OTHER HAIR PROFESSIONALS FOR PATIENT REFERRALS BECAUSE THEY ARE UNETHICAL. GO AHEAD AND READ THE TENS, IF NOT HUNDREDS, OF POSTS ABOUT ME ON THIS SITE. GO AHEAD AND READ JUST A FEW OF THE HUNDREDS OF PATIENT LETTERS I POST ON MY WEBSITE. COME TO MY OFFICE AND ASK TO SEE THE 4 VOLUMES OF COLLECTED EMAILS AND LETTERS FROM HAPPY PATIENTS.

I WISH TO CONTINUE PARTICIPATING IN THIS SITE AS A POSTER AND EXPERT- BUT WILL NOT STAND BY WHILE MY REPUTATION GETS HACKED AWAY AT. I AM SORRY THAT THIS PATIENT HAS NOT HAD THE GROWTH I WOULD HAVE EXPECTED AT 9 MONTHS. HE IS NOT THE FIRST. HE AND PERHAPS 3 OR 4 OF THE 500 PATIENTS ON WHOM I PERFORMED A PROCEDURE ON IN 2007 I WILL NEED TO BRING BACK TO THE PROCEDURE ROOM AND PERFORM A TOUCH UP OR WHATEVER IS NEEDED, DUE TO A LOWER THAN EXPECTED RATE OF GROWTH. BUT AT 9 MONTHS, IT IS FAR TO EARLY TO DETERMINE THIS.

RESPECTFULLY,

JEFFREY EPSTEIN, MD, FACS

WWW.FOUNDHAIR.COM

MIAMI AND NYC

If you post that again with the caps lock off and proper spacing maybe I will read it.

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:
Originally posted by nobuzz4me:

Well said NG,

I for one care more about a patients scalp than any doctor's reputation. This patient feels bad enough as it is with the poor HT result (so far), and should he now feel guilty for damaging a reputation? I cerainly hope not.

Thats EXACTLY how I feel. Im here to help my balding brothers and thats it. Top 2-3 icon_rolleyes.gif

Yea I saw that top 2-3 qoute from DR E. I have been on forums for years and never even heard of the guy

Originally posted by notgoing2gobald:
I have also talked to Dr. Epstein in detail and confirmed with a few other leading physicians including Dr. Ray Konior and Dr. Sharon Keene of the Coalition about the possibility of a hair piece slowing down or even more rarely stunting hair growth.

Why didn't Epstein inform TTDS this at the time of his surgery then?

While the rest of it sounds calm, cool, and level headed....I dunno. Four or so patients who have significant concerns who are all at 6 months+ post op? They should be at 60% growth by now, let alone TTDS 9 month (?)...In addition, while post-op pics would be 'helpful' for TTDS, it really isn't that important, in that he was totally BALD prior to the procedure. We should be able to tell if 2,500 (or however many) grafts are growing out of his BALD head? What does it matter where they were placed? Unless Dr. E put them in his side burns or beard or something, it really doesn't matter----

he was *BALD*...

It was previously sited that 4-5 patients w/poor growth a year is a "meager" 5% of his annual clientel; and that the 'x' factor was attributed to be the culprit, in discussions w/other experts in the industry (i.e. Feller & Matt Shapiro's patient educator) they claim there is NO 'x' factor, w/the exception of grafts "thinning" on those patients who have 'quirky' genes. Even still, it is no where near 5% (?)...and the 'thinning' phenomena is SURELY not what is happening w/these patients. they simply are not GROWING the grafts that were placed...

Sure, it all sounds level-headed: we want to give him the benefit of the doubt, the patients aren't *fully* matured yet, etc. etc...

-BUT-

I dunno...four or five patients ALL w/the same problem, that is *no* growth, and one of them is already NINE months out? Most, if not all, of the grafts should already be visible on his scalp, they would merely not be matured yet...too many 'bad' coincedences as far as Im concerned...

I'm not defending him but DR E said 3-4 of the 500 patients he works on a year have problems so that would be less than 1% with growth issues not 5%.

Originally posted by notgoing2gobald:

stupid, but true thought:

I don't like the fact that the 'techs' were giggling trying to remember who danced w/who at the club the night before and how MANY *drinks* they had, perhaps they were still tipsy the next morning or had a horrific hang-over (?)...

I would be shi$$ing in my pants and all over the dreaded CHAIR if I heard such a discussion while they were handling my precious follicles...

I'd probably grab my grafts from them and run out the door w/my 5,000 bloody slits all over my head, run to AMPM buy some ice, and try and insert them myself...

Why would they be doing surgery on July 4th anyhow ?

A few additional points on existing discussion...

1. Slow growers exist no matter who the physician.

Though this is not the "norm", this phenomenon is more common than people think. As stated above, even Pat had extremely slow hair growth for his 4th hair transplant with Dr. Shapiro but had a good amount of growth between 9 and 12 months.

2. Hair Pieces

It should be pointed out that it is rare but possible that a hair piece will cause slow hair growth from a hair transplant, depending on on frequency of use, ventilation, etc. During my discussion with Dr. Konior, he pointed out that he has seen this happen to some of his patients. A patient I spoke with on the phone today, also a former hair piece wearer, had the same thing happen to him.

I honestly have not heard a lot of discussion about a hair piece slowing down growth prior to this. Maybe Dr. Epstein didn't bring it up because it's a rare phenomenon? Other physicians have seen it happen, so it's far from a 1 in a million type of rare. Perhaps this is something that physicians should discuss with their prospective patients who wear a hair piece.

3. Technicians Socializing

Technicians sometimes socialize while their working. This is not a cause for alarm. I admit when I was a patient the first time, this concerned me too, but I have had a good experience on all 3 accounts with 3 different surgeons.

Notgoing2gobald, your last statement only adds to speculative and wrongful hysteria.

4. Nobody bats a 1000

Though we should NOT draw a final conclusion at this point in time, failed hair transplant procedures can happen in the hands of even the elite. But those who stand behind their patients and have a high level of consistent results are worthy of the Coalition. Even if this case does not turn out as we all hope (though we must give it time), it's one case in a long track record of success. And Dr. Epstein vowed to do whatever he can to help this patient in order to make him a "poster child" for his clinic.

Bill-

Technicians sometimes socialize while their working. This is not a cause for alarm. I admit when I was a patient the first time, this concerned me too, but I have had a good experience on all 3 accounts with 3 different surgeons.

Notgoing2gobald, your last statement only adds to speculative and wrongful hysteria.

It's not the fact that they were "socializing" during the procedure, it

*IS*

the fact that they were out DRINKING the night before and couldn't even REMEMBER some of the events that took place that evening...

Not hysteria---just a matter of fact what the patient heard.

Your calling my recounting of facts "hysteria" when your SPINNING my point that they were out drinking the night before by trivializing it into 'socializing' *during* the procedure, that obviously wasn't my point of concern...

ALSO---

Nobody bats a 1000

I think 4-5 patients w/little to no yield a *YEAR* is WAY, WAY too many irrespective of what % of their total patients this constitutes.

In my research of Hasson I couldn't find ANY patients w/such staggering results; and I went back AS FAR as the forum would allow me, several YEARS worth of posts; emailed every damn patient of his I could find....*this* pales in comparison.

I can tell by reading his post that he is concerned,but what bugs me is that hes really just blaming the patient or bad luck and thats it. What wrong with saying hey maybe we messed up but lets wait. He doesnt come out a say its his fault but if you read between the lines its obvious. It came across caring but arrogant.

notgoing2gobald,

You are referring to kevkristy who is at 6 months post-op, not TTDS.

His exact words on the following thread were: "So the concern I had when they were chatting about who danced with whom, and who got what free drink at the club the night before is becoming valid".

I don't think it's fair to assume that any of the technicians were drunk and had hangovers for surgery the next day. Letting loose and having a good time every now and then can actually increase overall work ethic, as long as done responsibly.

My point is, let's not speculate, it only adds to unnecessary public hysteria.

Bill

Letting loose and having a good time every now and then can actually increase overall work ethic, as long as done responsibly.

oh PA--LEEEEEZE! SPIN MAESTRO! icon_wink.gif

So should I take out the tech staff and doc for a night of drinking the day before my surgery?

Im not saying this is what caused it, but it would definetely leave me w/cause for concern...and your bit about..."can actually increase overall work ethic"...

is just off the charts dude!

Is that in the DSM? Hey, if this forum ever bites the dust you can probably find a job at 1600 Pennsylvaania Avenue! icon_smile.gif

notgoing2gobald,

Since you have joined this forum, you have had a knack for nonsensical posts, and though funny at times, you often don't hesitate to jump to conclusions and make wacky and out of touch statements.

If you are going to quote me, finish the quote "as long as done responsibly". My point is, as long as someone's social life DOESN'T effect their work habits, who cares.

My comment back to you was to dispute your ridiculous speculation that his technicians were drunk or even hungover.

Off the charts? I think you ought to go back and read your own comments on the majority of threads icon_wink.gif

Bill