Recommended period before subsequent procedures?

What is generally the recommended time to wait between transplants?

I had 3,300 grafts placed into the front 1/3rd and would love to cover my crown a bit with something like 2,000 grafts, then leave well enough alone. I want to be this conservative with an eye towards the future, but I don't think an additional 2k would deplete my donor area and should help the look.

Anyway, what's a good amount of time to wait? A full year, 6 months, 10 months?

What is generally the recommended time to wait between transplants?

I had 3,300 grafts placed into the front 1/3rd and would love to cover my crown a bit with something like 2,000 grafts, then leave well enough alone. I want to be this conservative with an eye towards the future, but I don't think an additional 2k would deplete my donor area and should help the look.

Anyway, what's a good amount of time to wait? A full year, 6 months, 10 months?

youngguy,

I had my first HT in may o6 and my second in dec o6 ( 7 months apart ) The first one is now almost at the 11 month mark and the second is at 3 months. Dr Feller did'nt have a problem with doing No2 at 7 months and all seems to be progressing well.

IH

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

10-12 months if your going over the same area

5-6 months if your transplanting into a new area.

ONLY if your scalp laxity allows this.

For alot us, it takes a solid 7-10 months for proper laxity to return.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had my first HT in MAY 06 and my second HT in JAN 07---it was exactly 8 months between the surgeries. Because my HT's were on different regions of my head, Dr Hasson did not have any issues. BUT, and this may be your limitation, you must have scalp laxity for the second procedure. I thought that I had done a good job of scalp exercises but I really wish I had been more aggressive. I told Dr Hasson that I had zero intention of a third HT so harvest as much as could safely be taken. Again, had I been more diligent with the scalp exercises, I'm sure more could have been taken.

Good luck S-n-P

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

I suppose I ought to start saving now for the second HT (4k put away so far, lol - a good start) and I'll be starting on scalp exercises in 2 months. 3 months of exercised may be enough to produce some laxity.

Thanks for the info guys. By the way, what's a good rule of thumb for the # of grafts to cover the crown that's not empty, but visibly thinning?

And lastly, who are some of the top docs around for crown work? Is there anyone recommended in particular? Someone I know has recently had their crown done by Dr. Shapiro, so if anything I can give them another 4 months and see how it's coming in around the time I'll be wanting to schedule my second HT icon_wink.gif

As usual, B Spot's answer is "SPOT" on.

Personally, I think it's best to wait at least a year no matter what because of the laxity issue. Even though laxity may return earlier, you want to give your scalp more of a chance to heal. This will also give you a chance to do scalp exercises for awhile (no sooner than 6 months after surgery).

Bill

I'd say 1 year would be the minimum you'd want to consider going into the chair again. As has been said, yes, there are situations that may warrant it sooner, however, I think it's best to be on the safe side in this case. Too many unknowns when it comes to new grafts coming in and exactly where they were placed. Just IMO.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree with you Hairbank-- my personal opinion is a year, but we have seen patients who are doing 1000-2000 grafts in different sections of the scalp returning 6-8 months for session #2.

FUE patients vary, but again, 1 year will see most of the transplanted hair grown out and a reduced chance of transection.

Younguy--- Dr. Shapiro will be able to properly address your crown issues. Dr. Wong is also highly regarded for the "Wong Whorl" so pick your poison icon_biggrin.gif

A good rule of thumb for the crown is to take the entire area of coverage and divide by 3.

For example, 90cm of bald or thinning crown divided by 3 equals 30cm

If you look directly at the crown imagine the crown divided into 3 portions Top, Middle, Bottom

Because those of us who attack the crown are often transplanting the crown last or "frugally"

most docs will hit the crown with variant densities

For Example:

Top 30cm a density of 35-40fu's cm/2= 1110 fu's (average density 37)

Middle 30cm a density of 20-30 fu's cm/2= 810fu's(average density 27)

Bottom 30cm a density of 10-20 fu's= 450 fu's (average density 15)

total grafts 2370

As hair grows out it will lay over and provide additional coverage, so of your mid-scalp is 45-60 and you transition into the top of the crown at 35-40, you will pick up some added density from the hairstyle.

The crown is not as simple as grafts divided by area of coverage.

Obviously, those lucky enough to possess 3000+ grafts to target the crown will transplant at higher density, but I would imagine the same basic approach would apply, no need to waste grafts in the bottom of the crown, unless you have them to spare.

For those with a "thinning" crown, I would figure an average density of 20-25 added to the existing native hair.

Because meds have shown a propensity to retain native crown hair, transplanting a very safe 20-25 fu's cm/2 will most likely give you a tremendous cosmetic boost in density and allow you to save the existing native hair.

I hope this helps you out.

My opinion as always,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.