transplant with no medication

are there many people out there who just wait to the balding pattern has taken place then gone along with only getting transplants as there balding slowly progress's. Assuming you had enough donor wouldnt this be the best thing to do. (no time spent on medications or money) No worrying either. I understand that medications can slow down the process. Im 22 and think im just gonna start shaving my head. Wait a few years and see what pattern takes shape. Ive been told i have good donor characteritics so i plan on gettin another consultation in a few years when i would be more appropriate for a megasession.

thoughts.........?

are there many people out there who just wait to the balding pattern has taken place then gone along with only getting transplants as there balding slowly progress's. Assuming you had enough donor wouldnt this be the best thing to do. (no time spent on medications or money) No worrying either. I understand that medications can slow down the process. Im 22 and think im just gonna start shaving my head. Wait a few years and see what pattern takes shape. Ive been told i have good donor characteritics so i plan on gettin another consultation in a few years when i would be more appropriate for a megasession.

thoughts.........?

22 years,

I think at your age waiting is the best advice that I can provide. Try different hair styles, shave, buzz etc. You never know, you may be happy with those styles and find that surgery is not required. The med's will slow the process, but once you start you can't stop. If you can be happy without the med's or HT that would be my suggestion. Remember, once its done, its done and no turning back!

T

If I had it to do over. I would just shave my head. There are no more worries. That is something that I didn't understand, that once I got a HT and another one. Then you have the fuckin silly scars on the back of your head. Don't do it man. Save your money and your sanity... If you do decide to do it, make sure you are going to a very good doctor.

I would agree with the posters above, being 22 years old, forget about HT's for the next 5-10 years. Keep yourself busy focusing on being successful in other important areas of your life. Shave or buzz down in the meantime and forget about it.

22 is pretty young. I would consider medical treatment options and make sure you gave them time to work before you give up(1 year or more). 23 is still young for a transplant but at least you will have tried the alternative to surgery and maybe it will buy you a lot more time than just a year. Plus you can establish some relationship with a doctor and see if you and he are on the same wavelength.

I had a 20 year old come in this am and we spent about 40 minutes mainly educating him on all of the stuff bloggers on this site already know. I told him to come check it out. He was started on meds last week by a referring dermatologist and I told him he should not make any surgery decisions for at least a year, and hopefully longer.

A 20 or 22 year old's hair goals are quite different that a 43 year old's, but the transplant will be there forever. So it is critical that the doctor and patient discuss all of this and have a PLAN, not just winging a procedure on a 20 year old with disposable income.

So don't rush into anything at age 20 other than getting educated on your options.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

22 is pretty young. I would consider medical treatment options and make sure you gave them time to work before you give up(1 year or more). 23 is still young for a transplant but at least you will have tried the alternative to surgery and maybe it will buy you a lot more time than just a year. Plus you can establish some relationship with a doctor and see if you and he are on the same wavelength.

I had a 20 year old come in this am and we spent about 40 minutes mainly educating him on all of the stuff bloggers on this site already know. I told him to come check it out. He was started on meds last week by a referring dermatologist and I told him he should not make any surgery decisions for at least a year, and hopefully longer.

A 20 or 22 year old's hair goals are quite different that a 43 year old's, but the transplant will be there forever. So it is critical that the doctor and patient discuss all of this and have a PLAN, not just winging a procedure on a 20 year old with disposable income.

So don't rush into anything at age 20 other than getting educated on your options.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Great advice, doc. If I may add this; many 20 - 30 year olds mistakenly think that it won't matter what you look like when you've been married 15 years with a couple of kids. I can tell you it still matters. Granted, the distress was much worse when I was getting balding comments at 24; but it still sucks at 42.

Around women, men, kids, the dog. Heck, nobody wants to be bald so it will still matter later in life. I'm sure my 72 year old dad doesn't give a damn, but I'm not 100%. So, make sure you don't go into it thinking you one day won't care what it looks like because you will certainly be depressed.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

So, make sure you don't go into it thinking you one day won't care what it looks like because you will certainly be depressed.

Dewayne, I have to somewhat disagree on this one. The negative feelings of balding are certainly much worse at 24 that at 42. At 42, your peers may still give you crap, but many of them are also balding. At 24, it can seem like you are the only one going through it. Sure, I agree that at 42 you will still care about your appearance, no doubt about it.

You need to focus on the things that you have total control over such as further developing your career, self-esteem, relationships, etc. The problem is that if you have extensive balding at 24, you will surely be a NW6-7 in your 40's and 50's, with or without meds.

22 years, put this off for 5-10 years...

In my opinion, it's probably a bit more difficult for someone to lose their hair at a young age however, this doesn't mean that an older person doesn't care. I didn't really start losing a lot of hair until I was about 26, and by 27 I was very upset about it. Mind you, I can't predict (being only 31) exactly how I would have felt about it if I only started losing hair at 35, but I know I would still care and want to get it restored. Admittedly however, as Ja-Man says, it is more common at a later age so it's probably a bit more bearable generally speaking.

But none of this negates the importance of planning for the long term. Remember, a hair transplant is forever, so one must take into consideration future baldness, etc.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by Bowlforthedog:

If I had it to do over. I would just shave my head. There are no more worries. That is something that I didn't understand, that once I got a HT and another one. Then you have the fuckin silly scars on the back of your head. Don't do it man. Save your money and your sanity... If you do decide to do it, make sure you are going to a very good doctor.

Do you say this because you are unhappy with the results you got?

With respect to the scars, I thought over time they heal and well they probably do not totally disappear - but they should be hidden by your hair no?

A person who had a transplant that shaved his head, there would be a thin scare on the back of their head. Couldn't a person who had a transplant shave his head and then go to a tattoo shop? You could have the tattoo artist just tattoo little dots within the scar (Whatever color your hair color), that way the dots within the scar would look like hair stuble or hair?

A person who had a transplant that shaved his head, there would be a thin scare on the back of their head. Couldn't a person who had a transplant shave his head and then go to a tattoo shop? You could have the tattoo artist just tattoo little dots within the scar (Whatever color your hair color), that way the dots within the scar would look like hair stuble or hair?

Even with tatoo on donor scar (which I haven't seen a true success story), one will never be able to shave thier head after FUT surgery (without revealing the scar). The best case senario I suppose is a thin donor scar (possibly with some FUE implanted) getting down to a #2, 1/4 inch buzz.

"If there are some that have successfully had tatoo to their donor scar and shaved, please post your pics."