age 18 help me!!

Hey im 18yrs old and have a big recceeding hairline, i overcome this by wearing a hat everyday of my life. Which shows my low self esteem, but i am getting sick of doing so. I am going off to college in 9months and would die for a hair transplant. Is this possible at my age? and would i just go in once and get it done, or later in my life would i have to go back..? please help me THANKS!!

Hey im 18yrs old and have a big recceeding hairline, i overcome this by wearing a hat everyday of my life. Which shows my low self esteem, but i am getting sick of doing so. I am going off to college in 9months and would die for a hair transplant. Is this possible at my age? and would i just go in once and get it done, or later in my life would i have to go back..? please help me THANKS!!

I was in the same boat as you but decided to go about this 21. Unfortunately I found the wrong person to take care of me (as alot of coalition doctors will try and persuade you in any way not to do so at such a young age) which was Bosley. Which I would highly recommend to stay away from especially after my experience recently with Dr. True. 10$ a graft opposed to 4-6 WOW. Anyways start on Propecia for one! How I felt at your stage it "constantly" bothered me, I felt NO other solution but that so thats what I did. In the end its all about what you want in my eyes.

-Depending on your MPB will determine if you will need another (if you choose so) transplant later in life. A coalition doc will be able to accurately determine your position in a few years to come so I suggest getting in for a consultation ASAP if this is really a social life crippling concern of yours

prodigy,

you are too young for a HT, try to see a doc who can get you on finasteride. Wait until you are out of school to proceed. Meantime enjoy your college years, cut your hair short and wear the cap for a while.

NoBuzz

Hey prodigy,

I am 26 and probably a 3 on the norwood chart. I am considering an HT but I am probably on the verge of being too young. You are probably way to young.

Being 18 and having to deal with this is rough. Realistically an ethical doctor probably wouldnt perform a HT on someone at your age. How far has your hair receeded on the norwood chart? Can you post any pics?

hi,i too was about 18 when it all started to go wrong on top,but unlike you i didnt have finastride or the double strenght rogain to help.get on these asap they should at least halt your hairloss maybe regrow.

nobuzz is right, way to young.

good luck.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

hi prodigy

i was in the same boat i am 19 now and i have just had my HT i know been young every one says your to young! but i believe that is only half of it it totaly depends on your NW scale if you are a NW2 well thats not enough to get a HT but i would say go on finsteride. i have and it works well in young people and got some hair back for me.

you should send some pics to docs and if they believe a HT is need they will tell you BUT IMPORTANT ADVICE only go to some one recomended on this website i know you will see advert and stuff saying yes we will do a HT for you they only want money so resarch this website and i am not disagreeing with what other people have posted, this is just my opion and i know how he feels

Guest wanthairs

DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTIGN A HAIR TRANSPLANT....

talk to a doctor about 5% rogaine and propecia and use nizoral shampoo. your hair looks great. I am going to drop about 50,000 $ on several procedures and still wont have as much hair as you have now.

prodigy,

Welcome to our community. You have come to the right place to start your research.

Our forum community members have already given you some great advice.

No doubt that hair loss is no fun. When I first started losing my hair at 21 years old, I felt my confidence leaving me. For many hears I wore a hat to conceal even a small bald spot that only got worse and worse.

If it wasn't for hair transplantation - I would be a full norwood 6 which is completely bald on top.

But you are only in the beginning phases of hair loss. And even though I understand your desire to restore a full head of hair - you are too young for a hair transplant

Your best strategic move at this point is to get on Propecia and Rogaine to help fight agains future loss and possibly regrow hair.

Use the hair loss medication for at least a year before determining whether or not it is working for you at all.

I recommend also reading:

What Should I Consider when researching hair transplantation?

Am I Too Young for a Hair Transplant?

Best wishes,

Bill

I think you are definitely too young and do not have enough loss.

Have you thought of growing your hair out a bit instead of having a buzz cut? You could easily reduce the appearance of your receding hairline with a different hair style. Something to consider.

prodigy,you dont look as if you have hairloss at all!you have a great head of hair certainly no need to hide under a cap.

are you finding a lot of hair in the bath when you empty it?and i mean a lot not some.if so get on the meds, if not i imagine your just experiencing a maturing hair line.propecia is a powerful drug and you shouldnt be on it if you dont need to,it can have side effects that include loss of sex drive icon_eek.gifand you dont need that at eighteen.consider your choices carefully but in my opinion your hair looks fine,chuck the cap and enjoy it.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

Originally posted by birdy07:

I think you are definitely too young and do not have enough loss.

Have you thought of growing your hair out a bit instead of having a buzz cut? You could easily reduce the appearance of your receding hairline with a different hair style. Something to consider.

IMO this is a great suggestion. By all accounts, you really have quite a bit of hair left. Maybe less than you used to, but compared to many on this site you've got lots of hair icon_wink.gif. More than enough to pick a style that compliments your face and "go for it". Grow the hair out, get in the chair with a good stylist and enjoy what you have while you have it.

As for HT...........I agree with the others..........you're way too young to have any idea of what your ultimate loss pattern will be or how far it will go. Get on the preventatives ASAP......Finasteride and Rogaine. Realize that either is a big commitment as any hair you keep or gain because of them will quickly be gone if you stop. Fin is a pill so it's easy, I found the rogaine regimen to be too messy for me. So, be sure you're ready to start them and are in it for the long haul.

Best of luck to you,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by prodigy1290:

thanks for the all the input, ill look into rogaine and propecia, but i was wondering if u have heard of hairmax lasercomb? Does is it work?

-------------------

----------------

-------------

---------

------

---

--

-

Prodigy,

I would rate the order of importance in using these hairloss options for you in this order:

1) Finasteride - to save what you have now and prevent further loss.

2) Minoxidil - messy routine but can help. new foam I hear is better.

3) Nizoral - especially if you have dandruff, it is an anti-fungal. I know I had major dandruff during my hairloss years and bet I scratched out a lot of hair.

4) Laser comb - save your money and put it towards the meds or in the bank for future HT work. JMO

Above all educate yourself about what you are in for, good thing you found this site!

Good luck,

NoBuzz

i have another question for u guys. My dad doest have that much hair but when he was my age he had no sign of hairloss like me. I am a really shy person, i hate going out, i have a hard time with friends. Can my receding hairline be caused by depression? and if so is it too late to help it.

Also ive worn a hat everyday of my life since i was in 4th grade. (Im serious) I had a bowl cut,lol and i could never show it. Last yeari decided to cut my hair short (fade) and i noticed my hairline. Can it be caused by the hat too? i mean ever since 4th grade, makes me think.

-------------------

----------------

-------------

----------

------

----

--

-

Originally posted by balody:

prodigy,you dont look as if you have hairloss at all!you have a great head of hair certainly no need to hide under a cap.

are you finding a lot of hair in the bath when you empty it?and i mean a lot not some.if so get on the meds, if not i imagine your just experiencing a maturing hair line.propecia is a powerful drug and you shouldnt be on it if you dont need to,it can have side effects that include loss of sex drive icon_eek.gifand you dont need that at eighteen.consider your choices carefully but in my opinion your hair looks fine,chuck the cap and enjoy it.

Ive never found hair anywhere to tell you the truth.

Originally posted by prodigy1290:

i have another question for u guys. My dad doest have that much hair but when he was my age he had no sign of hairloss like me. I am a really shy person, i hate going out, i have a hard time with friends. Can my receding hairline be caused by depression? and if so is it too late to help it.

No..........it's highly doubtful depression or stress would cause hairloss. On very rare occassions, stress can cause temporary hair loss or maybe permanent loss but it is usually more of a "patchy" type loss. It's much more likely your rescission is the starting of Male-Pattern-Baldness.

Also ive worn a hat everyday of my life since i was in 4th grade. (Im serious) I had a bowl cut,lol and i could never show it. Last yeari decided to cut my hair short (fade) and i noticed my hairline. Can it be caused by the hat too? i mean ever since 4th grade, makes me think.

-------------------

----------------

-------------

----------

------

----

--

-

Nope...............wearing a hat does not cause hairloss.........no way, no how!

If you're shy and having a hard time with friends, trust me, your loss isn't that bad yet, get a hair style that fits your face, grow the hair out some and it will be fine.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hairbank is correct.

Wearing a hat does not cause hair loss. This is a hair loss myth.

Traumatic or severe stress can be the cause of diffuse alopecia (a type of hair loss characterized by loss of hair all over the scalp including the sides and back of the head) and is not hereditary.

Learn more about diffuse alopecia.

Bill

Prodogy,

I feel you on this one cousin. I started receeding at age 15 and am now almost 18. In fact about 15% of kids are at least a class 2(look up norwood scale). The average age to expirience hairloss if you a kid is 14.8 years, so dont feel like your alone. I buzz my head with a 0 blade and i wouldn't have it any other way. Be confident dude, you only live once and there is alot of hope for hair loss in the future

I am currently on

propecia

rogaine 5%

nizoral(every other day)

prodigy,giants is right it really is common for hairlines to change as we enter maturity.

the fact you are not finding hair in bath/on pillow is a good thing as i was finding it everywhere at your age.

please try not to get depressed over this,your hair looks great short.over here all men your age wear it like that,is it different where you are?which brings me to my next question,you say you have a hard time with friends,do they mention it or make fun?if so is this a big part of the problem?

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

Guest wanthairs

18 year olds.......

I started my hairloss at 14 around my frontal forelock. if i got a transplant back then I would have depleted my donor and then i progressed to a NWD 6 by the time i was 32 and would not have been able to correct this. Now with about 3-4 surgeries i am going to look very good again.

Stay off the transplants, get on the meds NOW>......You may be able to preserve what you have for the next 10 years and hopefully there will be better cures out by that time...

Also, for whats its worth....My hairloss never stopped my from aving loads of beautiful women in my life, although im sure it lost me a fewe opportunities. I have never been without women, and the peak of my success was when I was shaved after my transplant, (thats right scar in full view of all).....get physically fit and try to develop a positive attitude and you wont worry about your hair loss as much, and you are lucky, your generation will have the best and cheapest access to the best treatments in your prime....