Who's best for Crown Area?

Iam back here after a long gap.

I had my first transplant way back in 2001 with Dr Rose (2100 grafts) second one with Dr Shapiro

(2600 grafts). I am planning to get my crown

area covered. I hear Dr Hasson and Wong are

well known for crown area transplants. Please

comment - thanks!

Iam back here after a long gap.

I had my first transplant way back in 2001 with Dr Rose (2100 grafts) second one with Dr Shapiro

(2600 grafts). I am planning to get my crown

area covered. I hear Dr Hasson and Wong are

well known for crown area transplants. Please

comment - thanks!

I was on display at the 2004 ISHRS convention in Vancouver, sitting under a spotlight with HT surgeons from all over the world checking me out, up close, and a little more personal than I had anticipated. At the time I was 6 months post op from my first crown procedure with Dr. Wong. I remember the reverential remarks my crown received (no joke). Specifically, one female doctor stated, "Dr.Wong is a master". Those were the exact words. I relay this (never before mentioned it) at the risk of expanding already expansive egos residing in Vancouver.. but HEY..I'm willing to take that risk for the cause.

UNC

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

Ya, Shapiro utilizing DFU's is certaintly enticing....I started a thread a while ago specifically inquiring into the +s -s of DFUs, particularly when used in the crown region. Bill made some good points I hadn't prior considered, but, unfortunately, I don't recall any juicy info get divulged by a clinic who is pro or vs.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

We do not use DFU's in the crown region---DFU's are primarily used in the mid-scalp/frontal core region in order to provide density---Dr. Shapiro will sometimes switch to using lateral slits in the crown because of the way the hair exits the scalp.

Dr. Wong is certainly well deserving of his reputation as the "master of the crown"

Dr. Shapiro is no slouch either icon_wink.gif

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Interesting; why no DFU's in the crown, or is it "simply" because of the way the hair exits the scalp?

Also, do you believe that the negatives and positives of DFUs are not clear cut? That is, it is never necessarily "BEST" to use or not use them and is totally conditional and dependent....relating to the specifc doctors' m.o. and the patient?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I was on display at the 2004 ISHRS convention in Vancouver, sitting under a spotlight with HT surgeons from all over the world checking me out, up close, and a little more personal than I had anticipated.

So Uncjim, will you be on display at the ISHRS conference this year in Montreal? Perhaps I can pick through your hair under close inspection too icon_smile.gif

Trendsetter,

Many of our surgeons over the last several years have provided excellent examples of first-rate crown work. I encourage you to look through patient photos in the patient and clinic gallery as well as the hair loss weblogs as part of your research.

Hasson and Wong, Rose, and all the surgeons mentioned by our members above are certainly worth consulting with/considering.

It is ultimately up to you to make the choice after extensive reserach.

Best wishes,

Bill

uncjim,

You haven't heard? They were looking to use you as a guinea pig for BHT scalp work icon_razz.gif.

DFU = double follicular unit = minigraft (though most surgeons don't like using the "minigrafts" term since it implies old school work - but it is what it is).

When strategically combined with follicular units, some surgeons believe that using a small use of DFUs in various areas of the scalp (some believe they are better used in the vertex while others believe they provide more density in the crown) will promote a greater illusion of density without sacrificing naturalness.

I personally have a preference for all follicular unit grafting, but some surgeons have proven to do some good work with a small amount of DFUs in the "right" candidates.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey bud

I had my crown done with Dr Feller in Nov 2008 , my result are good so far , but I have been a slow grower , feel free to check out my weblog .

I had consults with Drs Hasson and Wong and Dr Rahal after 18 months of research , all 3 of the above clinics are truly world class and I don't think you will go wrong with any of them .

Good luck

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Thank you Guys! Your comments are so valuable!!

Needless to say, like many others, I have been

very impressed with Dr Shapiro's work but at the same time wanted to explore other options to

understand what best works for my needs.

Cheers!