Why is Dr. Unger not on the Coalition list?

mmhce

Dr. Unger has co-authored this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hair-Transplantation-Fourth-Walter-Unger/dp/0824741102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226836452&sr=1-1

with Ron Shapiro, and is known by the member Aquarius, on this thread:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...091002623#6091002623

but is not recommended on the Coaltion List.

Why is this?

take care...

mmhce,

Dr. Unger has contributed a lot to the hair transplant field over the years and I own and am in the middle of reading his and Dr. Shapiro's book. It's a great way to learn all you can about yesterday's and today's hair transplants.

The truth is, I haven't seen a lot of Dr. Unger's recent work. I believe he may be doing quality follicular unit hair transplantation now, but I believe he has a preference for smaller sessions less than 2500 grafts. Coalition membership requires surgeons to perform regular sessions exceeding this number on a regular basis WHEN appropriate for the patient.

However, he just very well might meet our standards for recommendation. To see our recommendation and Coalition requirements, click here.

I have not been in contact with him about potentially recommending him to date. But perhaps if he is willing to present a number of examples of his recent work publicly, we can consider him.

Best wishes,

Bill

I had a consultation with Dr. Unger in NYC in 2005, when I was first embarking on my research. My doctor had recommended him; at the time I hadn't found this site, and had no idea whom to ask for a referral.

He charged $250 for the consultation (at his office in NYC), which took roughly an hour. He was pleasant and open to questions, but I had reservations...

1) His photo album, which was of recent patients, had several in-progress shots that showed old-school plugs. As he explained it, it made sense to combine plugs with smaller units.

2) When I asked him about the cost, he mentioned that his daughter (Robin Unger) was starting out in the field, and therefore charged less. He suggested using him for the hairline, and her for the top (presumably to keep her work less visible...?).

All told...with all due respect to him, I kept looking.

Benjamin

Benjamin,

To be fair, I do know from conversations with Pat over the last year who has been in touch with Dr. Unger that he is doing solid follicular unit hair transplantation. He also sometimes uses multi unit grafts (MUGS) in between follicular units since he believes it increases hair density. The topic of all follicular units verses the use of some multi unit grafts was debated amongst many leading surgeons in the field at this past ISHRS conference in Montreal. See the Highlights of the 2008 ISHRS Scientific Meeting in Montreal for more information on this hot topic.

Best wishes,

Bill

Chuck,

Many quality surgeons share your opinion on FUs verses MFUs while others do not.

Know that leading surgeons in the field who use MUGS are still using mostly FUs. Those who use all MUGS will certainly add to the risk of an unnatural look.

Using some MUGS may minimize trauma the the scalp and therefore minimize the risk of shock loss. Basically, creating two small incisions for a 2 and a 3 haired graft could be more traumatic to the scalp than a slightly larger single incision holding a 5 haired graft. This of course depends on the proximity of the next incision made.

Personally, I am a fan of all follicular unit grafting. But I have seen a few impressive cases in person where MUGs (MFUs) were used and I didn't see any signs of plugginess.

Best wishes,

Bill

MUGS...interesting.

I'd certainly be curious to see current Unger patient photos; what enticed me into his office in 2005 was his reputation, and having authored papers on the topic in question. And having an excuse to take a trip to New York icon_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had to send in $250. to Unger's office just to make my apt several yrs ago. Then I started researching drs and was told Unger wasn't doing the latest techniques (as he is now) so I cancelled my apt and they would not reimburse me. I ended up going to epstein and was very pleased

Combining 2 follicular unit grafts to add density without affecting naturalness can be an advantage to the patient.

Double follicular unit grafts (DFU's), can consist of two 1-haired grafts with a little space in between, or a 2-haired graft combined with a 1-haired graft, etc. So they don't have to be 5 haired grafts, they can be anything more than 1 hair, but just not grouped as a bundle.

Dissecting hairs grouped as a DFU can be an advantage to avoid making an extra incision and extra dissection. If hairs are spaced less than a mm apart, there is no need to separate them in order to create a natural appearance, while still creating very minute, tiny incisions. Take a look at a ruler to see just how miniscule a mm, or 1.5 mm are--a magnified photo doesn't really get that across.

A follicular unit is usually referred to as exiting the head in a bundle, so hairs with a .8 mm space in between might be considered 2 seperate follicular units--yet they look natural when grouped. That is why Dr. Keene does use DFU's of up to 4 hairs--they look completely natural, but decrease the numbers of incisions needed while increasing density. There are patients where the space in between hair is too great to give them many 3 to 4 haired grafts, but we do try to give patient's who we can as many as possible, depending on the area being transplanted.

DFUs would not be appropriate in the front hairline, of course. But neither would 2, 3, or 4 haired follicular unit grafts. Only 1 haired grafts are used in the very frontal hairline.

Although a follicular unit is defined as bundles of hairs that exit the scalp as a group of from 1 - 4 hairs, with very few 4 haired groupings, it is interesting to note that depending on the natural angle of the hair shafts, the hairs might exit the scalp at the same place but splay out at the roots with spaces in between. Or vice versa, the hair might exit the head spaced a mm apart, and the roots are very close together.

We have photos on Dr. Keene's website of magnified grafts dissected as single and double follicular units, which you can view here DFU photos

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Glenn,

Clearly I don't know anything about your situation, so don't take this as defensive. But there are a number of possible reasons for a wide strip scar, and no matter what state of the art technique a doctor uses, scar stretching is a real risk.

In my opinion, I'd suggest contacting Dr. Unger to express your dissatisfaction and I trust that he'll work with you to come to a resolution. I haven't seen much of his latest work, but I did meet with him and believe him to be a reasonable man and sound physician.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi, Bill..thanks for your insite....but I wouldnt let him come near me again...I really wouldnt want to even see him on the steets, no tellin what would happen.

The reason for all this anger towards Unger is that I was told pencil thin scar over and over again and again by him. Wow that is dead wrong in my case. So hopefully I will never meet up with him again. Never say never though.

A couple years later I had to find another HT Doctor because I was losing more and more hair...and looking pretty weird on the top. My hair at the back being 2 inches long would just cover the strip scar, using eye-liner and hair spray to help it out.

So after alot of thought and I DO MEAN ALOT OF THOUGHT...the dummy that Iam picked Cotterill. Let me tell you about him. I was told by Cotterill the reason for the large strip scar from Unger was that he cut the strip to wide and that he will fix it...no problem...He did say there is a chance it would go back to what it was but he almost swore it wouldnt...well it did. Big dam scar once again.

So while I was getting the strip scar cut out again I was also getting more graft up front mini's/ micro's to cover up what I had lost over the passed couple of years. I still remember sitting and talking with Cotterill and asking please please dont do this if you think Iam going to have more large scars....well he said dont worry pencil thin..like when you write on paper..that thin. I shouda ran, but was young and dum.

It turns out in the end I had 2 HT's with Cotterill and the strip scars are not no where near pencil thin, but much better then Ungers mess.

One of my other HUGE problems with Cotterill is I had 2 HT'S with him and he gave me 4 strip scars...YES I said 4 strip scars with to sessions. Plus ungers mess that makes 5 strip scars. Cotterill told me also that I would need 3 session mabe only 2...well let say this from the numbers I have gotten from his 2 strips I think its more like 5 or 6 sessions.. Man I hate liers.

Now Iam at the point where I have no choice..I have to shave the top to #2 and leave the back about inch and a half...looks real funny now.

Iam in need of fue into 5 stip scars...wow thats alot. I went to Armani a few months back...he said 3000 grafts all at once to repair those strip scars and he didnt really think I had any grafts left for the top. But I do have alot of body hair...mabe just mabe that will work someday.

I also went to R.Jones....talked with him and he said 1000 grafts will fix things up...I don't agree with that number, but I wish it was a thousand insead of the 3000 from Armani.

Iam also waiting to see whats going to happen with Acell...thats why I have kinda stalled on this repair right now....I CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO MAKE EVEN 1 MORE MISTAKE. My chance at a normal life depends all on this next Doctor...as a tear runs down my cheek. Wow do I ever have a headache.

I will post some picks soon...Iam looking at a new camera so it could be a little while.

Glenn

Glen I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you ever heard of Dr Umar? He has been working with body hair and I have heard some positive things.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Yes wantego and Thanks for the reply ...he is in my top 3 so far, but this Acell thing is really holding me back. Every day I sit here and dream of a new life. Its really hard to sit here.... waiting to repair this mess but I feel I have come this far...a few months hopefully wont kill me.

Glenn

Originally posted by Glenn:

Yes wantego and Thanks for the reply ...he is in my top 3 so far, but this Acell thing is really holding me back. Every day I sit here and dream of a new life. Its really hard to sit here.... waiting to repair this mess but I feel I have come this far...a few months hopefully wont kill me.

Glenn

Glenn,

I agree that there is no reason to rush in to anything now. Take your time. Do your research and ask every question possible. I really pray for a good result for you after all you have gone through. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Glenn,

How long ago was your surgery with Dr. Unger and Dr. Cotteril? Standard procedure today is to remove the old scar in each subsequent session. Are you saying you've had 5 strips and have 5 distinct scars from 3 surgeries? This doesn't make a lot of sense.

Do you have any pictures of your scar you can post for us so we can visualize what you are talking about?

Bill

Hi Bill...Thats what Amani and Jones said...You have that many scars from 3 surgeries...yep correct!

Yes Iam saying 5 different strip scar in 3 sessions...1 large scar from Unger (very large) and 4 differnet scars from Cotterill (nowhere near pencil thin), they were all in the mid 90's and I know things have come along way from those days...I just wanted to buzz in here to let you all know some of the lies I was told by these doc's. The "pencil thin" thing really gets to me as you can see...not to mention the 5 different scars.

I will post some pic's soon Bill. Iam going to get that camera soon...so I can show you all.

Thanks

Glenn

Glenn,

That your hair transplants were done in the mid 90s makes more sense from a technical point of view - though I still don't know how you could have 5 separate scars from 3 surgeries. I trust pictures will tell more of the story.

You may want to contact the doctors directly about your concerns to give them a chance to help you. Many doctors do read this highly popular forum, but not every thread on a regular basis.

Best wishes,

Bill