minoixdil/proscar MAJOR SHEDDING!!!

clay

Alright, I have been through the discussion forms on the topic of the use of minoxidil and proscar. I understand that shedding is a perfectly normal experience, and perhaps even great sign as to what is yet to come.

However, my concern is that I just had a hair transplant 2377grafts (frotal) two weeks ago. I have been on Minoxidil 5% twice a day and proscar for two months. The shedding has not subsided and I feel it is getting worse. I am concerned that the hair I am losing was on its way out anyways, and will not come back. I do apply wax to my hair in the morning, and lately I literally wash my hands after without looking as the amount of hairs in my hands is enough to make me sick. Not only is it in the morning, but when I comb through my hair at night, I can even believe how much hair has shedded in the comb. I know that I am not experiencing shockloss, because my HT was in the frontal area and not within existing hairs. How much longer is this going to go on for? I am still young 27, my hair didn't shed like this three months ago.. I am praying that this shedding is just my responding to medication in an excellent way. Has anyone out there experience shedding in these high volumes (I am talking way more than 100 hairs a day... DEFINITELY...I could shake out 100+ hair alone in the morning)after starting treatments? What was the outcomes. Now, at this moment, the top of my hair and crown is thinner than ever and after just having a HT to the frontal... it's devistating for me to watch. PLEASE, send me yout advice and stories...

Alright, I have been through the discussion forms on the topic of the use of minoxidil and proscar. I understand that shedding is a perfectly normal experience, and perhaps even great sign as to what is yet to come.

However, my concern is that I just had a hair transplant 2377grafts (frotal) two weeks ago. I have been on Minoxidil 5% twice a day and proscar for two months. The shedding has not subsided and I feel it is getting worse. I am concerned that the hair I am losing was on its way out anyways, and will not come back. I do apply wax to my hair in the morning, and lately I literally wash my hands after without looking as the amount of hairs in my hands is enough to make me sick. Not only is it in the morning, but when I comb through my hair at night, I can even believe how much hair has shedded in the comb. I know that I am not experiencing shockloss, because my HT was in the frontal area and not within existing hairs. How much longer is this going to go on for? I am still young 27, my hair didn't shed like this three months ago.. I am praying that this shedding is just my responding to medication in an excellent way. Has anyone out there experience shedding in these high volumes (I am talking way more than 100 hairs a day... DEFINITELY...I could shake out 100+ hair alone in the morning)after starting treatments? What was the outcomes. Now, at this moment, the top of my hair and crown is thinner than ever and after just having a HT to the frontal... it's devistating for me to watch. PLEASE, send me yout advice and stories...

I have been experiencing recession and hair loss around the hairline due to do minox. I've noticed by left hairline is getting worse, but hoping it is because of the minox foam. I have been on the treatment for about 3 months and should hopefully turn around soon. What you are experiencing is more than likely the effects of the treatment.

I HAD A TRANSPLANT WITH BOSLEY ,I WISH I SHOPPED AROUND. TO MAKE A LONG AGRAVATING STORY SHORT, I HAD 1700 GRAFTS DONE AND SHORTLY AFTER SURGERY MY HAIR WENT INTO SHOCK. ILOST AT LEAST 3000 OR MORE HAIRS ON MY HEAD THAT HAS NOT COME BACK. AND IT HAS BEEN 2 YEARS.THIS GAME CAN TURN INTO SUCH A NIGHTMARE. I KNOW JUST HOW YOU FEEL. LIKE YOU WERE BETTER OFF NOT HAVING IT DONE. ROGAIN TO ME IS NOTHING BUT SHIT ON YOUR HEAD THAT LOOSENS UP YOUR SEBUM WHEN APPLIED, THEN DRIES YOUR SEBUM BACK ON YOUR HEAD WHEN THE ROGANE DRIES. I HAVE BEEN ON PROPECIA. WITH THE SAME HAIR LOSS. THEN PROSCAR, WHICH WAS BETTERIN .25 PIECES. EACH DAY.AND THE BEST LUCK I HAD SO FAR IS ADVODART. ITS NOT YOUR MIRACLE CURE, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE THE BEST CHOICE FOR ME SO FAR. PLEASE NOTE THAT I GAVE PROPECIA AND PROSCAR A 1 YEAR TRY. MONEY ,MONEY, MONEYI THINK ADVODART IS THE BEST SO FAR. I ALSO THINK THEY STOPPED TESTING IT FOR HAIR LOSS BECAUSE IT WORKS AND THAT WOULD LOSE SOME BUSINESS FOR TRANSPLANT SURGENS. THATS JUST MY OPINION.IM JUST A SPOKE IN THE WHEEL OF TRANSPLANT SUFFERERS. GOOD LUCK, IRONWORKER2K22aol.com

Well I still have hope. I know that I went to an excellent hair surgeon. I do not regret the HT, but I am worried that the density of my new hairline will not match the density of the hair on the top of my head... which has significantly decreased in the past couple months as a result of minoxidil and proscar. However, if the shedding that I am enduring... will come back... stronger and thicker... I will be fine. I just wish I didn't have to go through this shedding phase. I am becoming self concious of areas of my hair that have recently thinned out. I am just losing sooo much hair through this process. I am going to stick with it, with high hopes, but what is a normal amount of shedding while of these drugs??

clay im sorry too sound like i don't care about your situatioan its just that Propecia DOESN'T cause shedding, and on the Rogaine box it says if shedding keeps happening, stop the product. its that simple man, so is obviously the rogaine.

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

Clay,

As I've been told on this forum that shedding may start in a week and last till 3 months.

I experienced shedding with in one week and it was same like 100 a day...but after a month the amount of hair came down and now i m loosing around 40 a day.

Did you notice any decrease in the amount of hail you are loosing with the time or is it same like what it was at the beginning? If it is coming down then we hope it stops by three moth mark.

Jupiter,

I am using monoxidill from last 6 months I didn't notice that much shedding when I was using it alone. But when I added fin (two months back) lot of shedding I noticed.

Hey HoTopStop

Good to know I am not the only one going through this here:

Here my deal:

Proscar- 1.5 months once a day

Minoxidil- 1 month twice a day

Hair Transplant- 3 weeks ago.

I can still shake out well over 100+ hair in the morning alone. This tends to be the worst time. Sometimes I think I could even shake out 200+ hairs. These hairs are very fine, as I have very fine hair. They are also very short and most of them are coming from the top of my head, not necessarily from the crown. The problem is I never had that much hair loss on the top (or the crown of my head). It was mainly the frontal region. Somedays I think it is less, while other days I feel it is more. Do you recommend that I pull back on the minoxidil to once a day until my scalp adjusts and then move up to two times a day? Or do you think the minoxidil is doing more harm than good and I should just stick on proscar? Even losing this high of volumes of hair, and noticing my hair is thinning right out... I am still early in the game with these products. Perhaps I should just face it and stick it through... What are some thoughts???

• 4 weeks later...

i am new here and went through the same exact thing only 3 weeks into using rogaine hair seemed to be a lot finer and shed more than i ever have before i stopped right away and am looking for other alternatives on here.I would like to stay away from ht if possible but if duta combined with nzoral doesnt do anything than i think ill take the plunge

Greekman,

I am approaching 1.5 - 2 months minoxidil

2.5 - 3 months proscar

In the beginning I shed a DISTURBING AMOUT, my hair had never been so thin, fine and weak... I without doubt went further back with the hair loss as a result of these two drugs.... One day I alost broke down cause I had just had a HT in the frontal region, and shortly after, the drug kicked in and my hair wouldn't stop thinning out EVERYWHERE!!

HOWEVER...

The shedding has come down dramatically over the past couple of weeks, and I feel as though it is stablizing... I am still shedding though, I am beginning to notice a lot of new growth in the crown, and I think the top of my head where I was thinning out the worst on these meds, has begun to reverse and new growth might be coming in.

HANG IN THERE! I almost quit, but stuck with it and am going to continue to stick with it. Give the drugs a change... In my experience, my hair got a lot worse, but it is now getting better.

keep me updated