consult with Dr. Keene

I had my phone consult with Dr. Keene yesterday yesterday. She reviewed my pics and quoted me a price of 5,700 dollars for 1500 grafts. I was suprised by the high cost. What do you guys think?

That's actually pretty good. I think the average for the first 2000 grafts should be around $4-$4.50 per graft. That quote is $3.80 per graft. You may want to see if she would discount a little more if you're willing to take a cancelled appointment as many clinics will.

Usually, discounts apply to sessions larger than 2000 grafts knocking the per graft price for anything above that amount to around $2-$2.50 per graft.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

From my consultations, that price that was quoted to you is quite reasonable since most other top docs charges $4-$4.5 per grafts for the first 2000 grafts. What kind of a price range were you expecting?

finnari,

I agree with my brothers above. $3.80 per graft is an exceptional price. I suppose I should say unfortunately. it is indeed an expensive investment...but you have to consider whether or not having a head of hair again is worth the price or not.

Where are you on the norwood scale? 1500 grafts, generally speaking is not a lot of grafts. I assume you don't have a lot of hairloss? Are you on finasteride to attempt to prevent future loss?

hope this helps.

Bill

I had no idea what it would cost. but thanks for the reply's. My thinking is the money is well invested. I have quite a bit of hair anyway just need hairline work to fill in.

I might go see Dr. Alexander here in phoenix to see what he has to say.

I just had a HT of around 3400 graphs by Dr. Keene. The price quoted was a great price for her experience and quality of work. Plus, Dr. Keene transplants most the hair graphs herself. Check around, that's hard to find these days. I live in Phoenix, Az and the trip down to Tucson, AZ was well worth it. I would figure that if you're going to go to the trouble of a HT, you might do it right the first time as well go with a top notch doctor. A doctor with her knoweledge and experience and the quailty is hard to find. Like I said, sounds like a great price to me and she implants most the graphs herself. Before my consult with Dr. Keene, I had a consult with another doctor from this site. The doctor gave me his consult while his techs were transplanting graphs into a patient's head. I didn't care for that nor could I believe he was giving me a consult at the same time his patient was receiving and paying for his transplant. Dr. Keene was my third and last consult. I knew anyway from reading the comments in here and visiting with her I wanted her to do my transplant. It was very important and impressive to me that she placed most the graphs herself. Best thing to do is to check her website. It is there you'll read and find she does indeed plants most the graphs herself.

Jrbrass-

Glad to hear you had a positive experience with Dr. Keene. Do you have any before/after pics you can share?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Very fair price

Her work as seen on here is top notch.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

she is trying to fit me in around june. I will post before and after pics of her work to let people decide for themselves how good her work is. So far she has sounded very professional when I talk to her.

Dr. Keene does have great feedback on this site and is considered a great HT surgeon. I'm sure you're in good hands with her.

However, I would not discount a doctor just because he does not place grafts him/herself. Most doctors, including the great ones, have their technicians place grafts. In fact, in many cases the techs work with a particular doctor for 5-10+ years and can actually be better at placing grafts due to their experience with it!

There was a long debate on this very topic on this forum a while ago, you may still be able to dig it up & read it.

Anyway, I digress - good luck with your upcoming surgery! I'm guessing you're excited about it, I know I was about mine icon_wink.gif

jrbass,

I think the question begs to be asked...

"I didn't care for that nor could I believe he was giving me a consult at the same time his patient was receiving and paying for his transplant."

So, when exactly is the doctor supposed to conduct consultations? 6 a.m? 8 p.m.? In between surgeries? I guess it would be possible if the doctor did not have a M-F patient load but aside from that consultations would be few and far in between.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

To be honest Dr. Keene did my consult while she had a pt. in "surgery" . I think she might actually hover over her tech's more then actually place them. A highly trained dr. doing such menial work? I have my doubts she does them all. Might be a bit of a publicity stunt to get more attention to her service. (I could be wrong on this you guys have a lot of experience with this type of stuff).

No, it's not a publicity stunt. Far from it. Dr. Keene is not into "publicity". That's why she took so long to update her website and that's why she doesn't have paid consultants.

Dr. Keene places "most" (not all) of the grafts along with her most experienced nurse. That's a fact and it is NOT menial work. In fact it is just the opposite and that is why she feels so strongly about it. Look at her website for a further explanation.

There are periods of time when the grafts are being cut, the patient is eating lunch or some other kind of prep, where she could leave the surgery room for a consult.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I agree Gorpy, I had a two day session with Dr. Keene. I know for a fact during lunches and my shampooing or surgery prep, Dr. Keene did indeed give consultations. Dr. Keene also gave a consultation during my surgery prep as well. Anyway, Dr. Keene is top notch. I'm sure you will be pleased with her work.

More high marks for Dr. Keene here...

She placed most of the grafts herself with only one other assistant helping towards the end. Her attention to detail, the naturalness of its result and postop consultation and treatment are all top notch. Great experience!

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog