numbness

Hello guys, I just want to a simple question: Is that something called numbness after HT permanent? What is your experience? I'm going to have a decision in next two days whether take HT or not... There are some cons(-) and many pros(+)... But I'm soo undecided... please help.

Hello guys, I just want to a simple question: Is that something called numbness after HT permanent? What is your experience? I'm going to have a decision in next two days whether take HT or not... There are some cons(-) and many pros(+)... But I'm soo undecided... please help.

If you go to a top doctor its temporary. Do not discount the nerves that are subseptable to "permenent" damage due to this "minor" procedure. Only very few doctors are qualified to do it at all without permenent complications.You have 1 post . I would recommend 6 months of intense research before going under the knife.Incidentally I have had cronic pain for two years due to a quack be careful.Numbness would be a godsend.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

[Originally posted by Voxo] . . . Is that something called numbness after HT permanent?
. . .

Voxo . . . As an old timer (with a more prolonged healing time) - I'm at 3 months post HT and estimate that the top-front (higher graft density) has about 70-80% feeling restored and I also still get some 'over-sensitivity' in a small area of the excision site that had transected some thick scar tissue caused by a childhood injury; this needed extra sutures to close it.

I estimate another month and I should be in the clear.

Regards,

Originally posted by specs:

I've had several hts via strip and FUE and i can assure you the numbness will go.

. . . A very dangerous assertion 'Specs' - if I may say so!

As a 'consultant?' you need to be more careful with sweeping statements like that! . . . In severing cutaneous branches of the scalp nerves, we all hope that the majority of nerves will repair themselves - surely the degree of recovery is a pure lottery for all of us - wouldn't you say?

Sorleyboy

I agree with SorleyBoy. You don't know who the physician is that Voxo is considering. If not done properly, the strip excision can cause permanent nerve damage. This has been documented to have happened a good bit back in the "stone ages" of hair restoration. Luckily, it seems to be something that doesn't occur at near the same rate these days, but to say that it won't is pretty careless.

Voxo,

when researching a physician, be sure you bring this question up with both his/her previous patients to hear about their experiences with it and with the physician him/herself. Ask the physician the specifics in excising the donor strip and what precautions they utilize to limit nerve damage in the donor area.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Yes, permanent nerve damage is caused by unskilled surgeons who cut too deep into the tissue of the scalp. However, most patients do experience numbness which lasts different for each patient but in time feeling always returns as the nerves regrow. I've had procedures when the numbness went away in 3 months and others that it took over 12 months. Every person's healing and nerve regeneration rates are different.

Yes, it varies with each person and each surgeon.

In both of my HTs I had signficant numbness for ~ 9 months and it did not really return to normal until just recently (11+ months). I'm guessing this problem was mostly due to my scalp characeristics since the surgeons were different people. I have a very tight scalp and skin in general.

No problem, Specs. I certainly didn't mean to come off as harsh with the "careless" comment.

In my own case, I had some numbness in the donor area until around month 5 and sporadically in a few spots here and there until month 7. It never really bothered me much, but if it was permanent then I know it would.

This is a topic that I think gets overlooked a bit too much. People should know what they are looking at in post-op recovery and that includes issues such as numbness.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Voxo -

It will be 1 year next month since I had my HT. Though the numbness has decreased substantially, there is still some numbness at the back of my head from above the donor scar to the top of the crown.

In spite of this, I consider this to be a minor concern and plan to have a second HT at some point in the future.

Originally posted by Follicular Slippage:

Voxo -

It will be 1 year next month since I had my HT. Though the numbness has decreased substantially, there is still some numbness at the back of my head from above the donor scar to the top of the crown.

In spite of this, I consider this to be a minor concern and plan to have a second HT at some point in the future.

agreed. it can last up to 1 year and in some cases longer.

im 5 months post op and now the numbness is just on the very top of my head. before it was from the donor area all over my head. goes away little by little

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

though the varying of the deepness of a cut does play a slight factor of nerve damage, the importance of the cut is the basic sharpness of the knife.

Damage is mainly caused by the truama of the cut.

Nerve trauma, to the epidermal nerves not healing, can be caused by a tearing of the skin, do to basically an in antiquate blade.

But, that is very rare, since most, should all surgeons, have that best instruments at hand.

Some people do take longer to heal, as we all know... Everyone is different.

Originally posted by HairBeThere:

. . . varying of the deepness of a cut does play a slight factor of nerve damage, the importance of the cut is the basic sharpness of the knife. . . Damage is mainly caused by the truama of the cut . . . can be caused by a tearing of the skin, do to basically an in antiquate blade.

Not sure what you are suggesting here 'Hairbethere'. . . I would have thought 'all' the nerve damage was caused by the cut? . . . I also thought that surgeons have been using disposable chrome alloy steel scalpel blades for decades now . . . not sure what you meant by (antiquated?) blade - Are you suggesting that the $1 disposables are re-used on a succession of patients? - or that there's something wrong with modern blade design?

Sorleyboy

• 2 weeks later...

I had 700 grafts done by Dr Anderson in Bellevue Washington on 11/2003. I still have numbness around the strip area (sometimes some light pain).

I did not know about this forum prior to making my decision to go to, in my opinion, THE BUTCHER.

Good luck.

Wookie.

• Administrators

Wookie,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience in the state of Washington. I've made two visits to Washington and Seattle to find a surgeon providing work that can be recommended. At this point, based on what I know, I can't recommend any of the surgeons in the state of Washington.

I strongly suggest that those in Washington consider traveling out of state for hair restoration surgery.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing back a topic from the dead, but I had a question about numbness.

Has anyone ever heard of numbness in the thighs after a HT? It's faint, and in a nutshell it feels like the top few layers of skin are "asleep", so when my girlfriend rubs my thigh lightly, it just doesn't feel very good and ends up being annoying. On the other hand, I train in MMA and do some Muay Thai and think the numbness might actually help absorb some of the punishment of kicks. I had surgery before I started Muay Thai or being kicked in the legs, and the numbness was there before, so I don't think it was a result of the kicks. Just wondering if anyone else has had numbness in areas other than the scalp. Oh and to answer some questions my first surgery was about 5 years ago and it was at MHR in Chevy Chase MD. lol That alone probably answers the question of why I've still got some numbness years after. I'm so glad I found this board, I just wished I'd found it back then. Oh well, can't live in the past, so I'm working on getting some pics done so you guys can assess my loss, and give me some suggestions for my next surgery. Thanks all.

Numbness in the thighs??

Nope never heard of it ( thank god)

I ve had 3 HT's with no problem or complications..If you go to a top doc your chances for a smooth surgery are very high

If not , who knows??

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Maryland,

I don't see a connection between a ht and thigh numbness. Physiologically the nerve endings in the scalp are temporarily severed, but in time (pt and Dr. qualified dependent) they heal. Their must be another factor in this. If you have have any pre existing medical conditions (ex. diabetes, blood circulation etc...) that may be playing a role in this. I am not a doctor, but if it is getting worse or just really noticeable I would get a docs opinion, take care...

You only live once...

lol Nope no preexisting conditions I'm healthy as a horse, must just be some weird coincidence. It's really not much of an issue, as it's very light and probably best described as the top couple layers of skin feel a bit "tingly" when touched. If it would only work it's way down to my shins I'd be a happy camper! Have you ever hit someone with your shin bone against theres? Ouch! Thanks for the answers guys. I didn't think they were connected as it did seem a bit odd, but since I had the surgery and then the numbness and was reading up on stuff here I figured I'd ask.