Post-HT Story

I'm currently a grad student and am scheduled to get my HT with Dr. Feller at the end of March. Since I don't really have the 2-3 weeks "away" from school, any suggestions on possible stories as to why I'm always in a baseball cap (especially one that is big for my head)?

Theoretically, I could just go to class and come back. But all my friends know that I'm usually out and about. Plus, I have a roommate.

Its obvious that I have a receding hairline and a little short in the crown, but needless to say, no one really knows the extent of my situation because of Toppik (and lots of it).

Thoughts/Suggestions are appreciated.

I'm currently a grad student and am scheduled to get my HT with Dr. Feller at the end of March. Since I don't really have the 2-3 weeks "away" from school, any suggestions on possible stories as to why I'm always in a baseball cap (especially one that is big for my head)?

Theoretically, I could just go to class and come back. But all my friends know that I'm usually out and about. Plus, I have a roommate.

Its obvious that I have a receding hairline and a little short in the crown, but needless to say, no one really knows the extent of my situation because of Toppik (and lots of it).

Thoughts/Suggestions are appreciated.

GQnDn, I got first-hand experience on this one because I wore a hat for 3 months postop and I kept thinking about what others were going to say or what they might think about me always wearing this black hat and bottom line: Others are really not that interested in you or I there worrying about what the guy in the hat is thinking of them. After I stopped wearing it, nobody said a thing either way so I hoped I quelled some of your worry.

Hi GQnDn. You'll be in excellent hands with Dr. Feller. After a few days I don't think hat size will be an issue. You should have no problem wearing your normal hat. You won't need some huge loose hat unless that's your style :-). If you're planning on keeping it a secret you'll probably want to keep some length on the back and sides to hide your donar scar an let existing hair in the recipient area grow out after the HT is done. Maybe something like a 4 guard. It'll probably take about 1 month to get the recipient area back to a 4. Until then you'll be under the hat. As for stories just don't use something to lame. Just tell the "Don't worry about it, I like hats" :-). Good luck.

Go out and buy a Ny Giants superbowl ball cap. You can tell people that you are a fan. I dont know if your professors will ask you to take your hat off in class,If you can remember does your teachers not mention to anyone students about ball caps. Because I know that students do wake up after a night of patying get to class with no shower and wear a hat. Where it gansta style. That means when you put the hat on where and the visor just above your eye brows. looks nice and its stylish and it will cover the donor area completely. Im 7 days post -op and this is what Im doing and nobody has noticed.

Pick up some stylish hats--the cabbie cap is in right now. bloomingdales has a good selection of hip caps, or check out kangol or baileys of hollywood online....

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I 2nd getting a stylish hat and a NY Giant hat, as well; you're probably going to want to be laying low, regardless, especially the first couple of weeks and until the staples come out and you can give yourself a somewhat uniform buzz.....maybe say you have viral pneumonia -- pretty easy symptons to fake, the hardest being a dry cough, and generally it will last a couple weeks, and isn't really contagious.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

GQnDn,

The good news is, in being a college student, hats are perfectly acceptable and are often the norm for many. Buy yourself a loose fitting baseball cap to wear for the first 10 days after surgery and then you can switch to any hat you want. It's extremely important however, to be extremely careful with the grafts the first 10 days. Avoid any physical activity or any person that might try to steal your hat or hit you in the head. That might sound like silly advice, but I remember the college days. It's fun to goof around and those who don't know about your hair transplant might goof with you, try to take your hat, or knock on the rim.

Because your hair replacement surgery is not for another month or so, start wearing a hat now to get others used to the idea. As your friends ask you questions, you can safely take your hat off and show them your normal head and just state that you decided that you really like hats (or at least those particular hats). By the time you have your hair restoration surgery, your friends will be so used to the idea they won't mess with you.

Bill

start wearing the hats now so it doesnt seem obvious!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Provided you can get away with the hat, your worst time may be 3-5 days post op swelling to the face. Some get it some dont, ask Dr Feller about it. Dr Feller shaves the recipient area, do you have native hair there? If you did not shave, it would be easier to conceal the work.

NoBuzz

Thanks for all the responses! I've started switching it up already where I'm wearing hats to class. Hasn't been a problems with profs and I sit in the back so not really an issue.

Since I've been wearing the hats, my friends have been goofing off, but that has decreased somewhat. So, hopefully I won't have a reason to lay someone down if they mess with the hat post-op!

I do have native hairs in the recipient hair. I'm classified as a NW 5, but have the hairline. I thought about requesting to not have the recipient area shaved, but I've read that its better to shave it down and makes the process easier. The way I look at it, whatever gives me the best possible result is what I'll gow with. So, shaving it is.

Also the donor area length is approx a 3.5 blade, so not problems hiding the HT. All, I do now is get a taper.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it!