wanting the procedure - 19

Hey been a member for a bit and love readingthe stories congratulations to all those who have had results.

I am 19 years old and although my mpb is not that bad.. my hairline shape has suffered sinificantly.. and i want a strongish hairline, becuase the boreder of teh face to me is the most important, do any of you know a suregon taht wud perfrom the procedure so young? Im a good lookin lad etc, but it is really starting to affect my confidence.. my mum said she would think about getting it done for me for my 21st..

Hey been a member for a bit and love readingthe stories congratulations to all those who have had results.

I am 19 years old and although my mpb is not that bad.. my hairline shape has suffered sinificantly.. and i want a strongish hairline, becuase the boreder of teh face to me is the most important, do any of you know a suregon taht wud perfrom the procedure so young? Im a good lookin lad etc, but it is really starting to affect my confidence.. my mum said she would think about getting it done for me for my 21st..

i understand that comment but wud a surgeon proceed on a 21 year old?..i want it done so so bad.. the thing bout rogaine and propecia is i wud have 2 use it the rest of my life 2 keep my hair.. and i dno if i want that financial burden?

Well if you want one so so bad it seems to me that this bothers you a whole lot. Propecia is very expensive, but there is another just as effective drug called proscar that is the same exact thing, except 1/5 of the price. Also rogaine foam 3pk is about $40-$50 for a 3 month supply.With the pill and the foam it adds up to about $1 a day. So if you add that up it'll cost you signifinitly less than a HT. Yes there are surgeons that will do a HT on you, but unless your a special case w/ extensive hair loss, no doc w/ an ounce of consience would do it before youre 21. There are many factors as to why some one so young shouldnt get the procedure done. Do some research and reach out to the docs on this site. Im sure they would be more than happy to help you out and explain things

I understand u loud and clear.. just a coupleof questions.. i have naturally thin hair, will the foam/proscar make a deffierence in the thickness of my hair a lot? and will temple growth be viable ? it does bother me a lot confidence wise, jus for the fact im losing my youth young.. and i hate the dreaded pictures of hair loss from stupid angles!

and i dno if i want that financial burden?

First off, no *ethical* surgeon will perform a ht on s 19 year old.

Second, if your worried about the financial burden of meds, have you considered the financial burden of ht's in the future? Even if you wait until your at the ripe age of 21 you will most *assuredly* be chasing your hair loss for many years to come; resulting in multiple (2-3) ht in total...THAT can get expensive (i.e. 40K+) which will come in BIG chunks of change all at once, whereas meds are relatively inexpensive and spread out over time; as dakota stated about $30 a month. That's chump change compared to a ht. Additionally one can elect to discontinue their use at *any* time, whereas once you've taken the "plunge" of a ht, your married to it for the rest of your life and will need additional work unless your cozy w/the idea of having a hair line and a BALD head behind it.

I completely feel for you as hair loss sucks at any age, let alone 19, but you should seriously contemplate *all* of the variables before moving forward, and by 'moving forward' I mean at LEAST waiting until your 21/22 or so, THEN if you are willing to commit yourself to the long road ahead, go forward by all means.

i see people gttin amazing results though and that is what i want.. there is no history of mpb on my dads side but there is on my mums and its getting to me and gettin me down :S i jus hate it

yeah, hair loss sucks! It bothers *all* of us and that is why we're here. I know it can be more difficult at a younger age, but you too *can* get amazing results (if your a candidate), what we are suggesting is waiting a couple of years, going to a descent ethical doc LATER, and possibly trying out meds now.

BTW---just how *bad* is your hair loss right now? Care to share a pic? It's possible, if it is relatively minor AND restricted to your hair line alone, that it is just a minor widows peak developing and you will not go bald. This can be fairly common among young men getting surges of testosterone at this age.

To answer your questions above about meds:

if your hair is naturally of a *thinner* caliber, meds will do nothing to alter their natural characteristics. But, if some of your hair is undergoing the thinning process of miniturization via MPB the meds (can) thicken them up.

Some people get results from the meds on their top/hair line/temples but this is very rare and it is more common to get results on the vertex/crown area.

It may be a good idea to see a psyciatrist as well. Like NG2GB says hairloss bothers all of us so take solise in the fact that youre not alone. Meds are the only smart option for you right now. Good luck

Jon Im 19 years old as well with thinning on the crown and temples. I have a blog set up with it. I too am somewhat depressed, but shitman ... in 10 years hopefully something will be out. you should wait till your 21 atleast, maybe we can both go in together lol

~im getting a hair transplant in 2012 when im 25~

But bud..im a hit with girls n shit ha.. good lookin kid and what my looks2 stay now u kno cos the border of the face is rele important i think ne ways.. jus sucks that im gna have to wait at least 2 years :S

But bud..im a hit with girls n shit ha.. good lookin kid

Ok...it's bad enough when I have to endure women's self-serving statements about their beauty, but having to hear it from another dude? it just doesn't sit well...I'm sure your a real "stunning-beauty" of a man, but *please* allow the ladies to tell you. Compliments from one's own mouth never exemplifies attractive qualities. icon_eek.gif

Or, if you like, you can "model" some photo's for us & we can take a vote on how beautiful ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) you are! icon_biggrin.gif

david40.jpg.b692abf8d2193c9d2c9031384dca69e9.jpg

Jon,

Welcome to our forum community.

Though we can all understand and relate to the emotional impact hair loss is having on you, young patients with minimal hair loss simply are not hair transplant candidates.

In early stages of hair loss, nonsurgical hair loss treatment options such as Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) have proven to be quite effective to treat baldness and possibily stimulate hair regrowth.

Talk to a physician about the benefits and risks of these hair loss drugs and consider getting on them ASAP for at least a year (less any side effects) to see if they work for you.

See also:

What should I consider when researching hair transplant surgery?

Am I Too Young for a Hair Transplant?

Best wishes,

Bill

Great advice given to you by the members,try and take it in as its your best interests everyone wants.

Take care.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Ok...it's bad enough when I have to endure women's self-serving statements about their beauty, but having to hear it from another dude? it just doesn't sit well...I'm sure your a real "stunning-beauty" of a man, but *please* allow the ladies to tell you. Compliments from one's own mouth never exemplifies attractive qualities. icon_eek.gif

Or, if you like, you can "model" some photo's for us & we can take a vote on how beautiful ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) you are! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_smile.gif

Anyways, Jon, you may want to look into some nanogen (or dermmatch) -- as it's been known to transform Beasts into Beauties. Also, changing your hairstyle and using some thickening products (waxes, etc.) can work wonders.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!