Dr. Keene Or Dr. Shapiro

Furless

Dr. Keene or Dr. Shapiro.

Do either have any strengths or weaknesses over the other. (although I know at one point Dr. Shapiro trained Dr. Keene)

Sorry, I realize there isn't necessarily a right/wrong answer for such a question.

The reason I'm asking is that I've only seen "show-cased" pictures, and havent' had the opportunity to meet any patients personally.

I figured asking here could possibly yield some tid-bits that could sway my decision on way or the other.

Thank you in advance.

2-day session with Dr. Keene.

1's: 297; 2's: 1186; 3's: 1382; 4's: 999

Total grafts : 3864

Averaging 2.85 hairs/graft. Total hairs: ~11000.

Dr. Keene or Dr. Shapiro.

Do either have any strengths or weaknesses over the other. (although I know at one point Dr. Shapiro trained Dr. Keene)

Sorry, I realize there isn't necessarily a right/wrong answer for such a question.

The reason I'm asking is that I've only seen "show-cased" pictures, and havent' had the opportunity to meet any patients personally.

I figured asking here could possibly yield some tid-bits that could sway my decision on way or the other.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Furless,

I don't think it is a question of strengths and weaknesses as it is about what YOU, the concerned patient desires.

A better question would be: I (Furless) require this, this, this and this in order to make me happy--- (with realistic expectations of course) and given the information I have gleaned on each of these docs, I choose this one.

You are choosing from two Coalition Doctors, both of whom have many happy patients, so in that regard I believe you are completely safe in either choice.

I would suggest either an in-person, phone, or internet consult with each, and then weigh your options.

I went through months of research before I made my decision, so don't rush.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Furless,

This is a very popular question...not necessarily these two doctors - but taking two elite physicians and trying to decide between them.

B Spot is correct. Take your time and view patient before/progress/after pictures and decide which you personally are more impressed with.

Both are excellent physicians!

This is not definite but based on what I've seen it does appear that Shapiro Medical Group does larger single sessions. I'm not sure what you are after specifically but that is one thing to consider in your research.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I had read through tons of posts on this forum and had also gone through all the patient galleries I came across.

I soon realized that I was giving too much emphasis to some of the "all Star Surgeons" lists that other members had compiled based on their research. I wasn't really objectively checking for the results that I was seeking.

So, once again, I went through the patient galleries carefully, and I did notice that surgeons do seem to have a pattern/style. It tends to vary a bit depending on the size/shape of the head, the hairloss pattern, hair characteristics etc. But there is a discernible pattern/style (to my untrained eye, imho).

With this information, I searched for pictures of other patients at my NW level, my hair characteristics, head size/shape etc, and I was soon able to shortlist my own surgeons whose style seemed to match the result I desire.

I'm glad to say that I have chosen my surgeon and have scheduled my surgery for next month.

I'm a bit nervous, but can't wait for the big day.

I will post regular updates.

Thank you all for educating me.

Hey furless,

I can only speak from experience. I am a recent pt 8 days post op of Dr. Ron Shapiro. My experience with the Dr. and his staff was an amazing one. I really chose Dr. Shapiro for the simple fact of his reputation and because the results that I have seen. I don't know how old you are or what NW scale you are. I on the other hand am a mid twenty year old NW 3 that would would probably be a 5 or 6 (if meds don't work). I chose the Dr. Shapiro for his genuine care for the pts long term and overall satisfaction, while still making a hairline that would be conservative and still make a real nice cosmetic difference. I could only suggest that who ever you pick get previous pts on the phone, email, PM, or the best, meet in person. I have heard some good things about Dr. Keene, but I have not thoroughly researched that Dr. You are in the right place though my friend. If you want a patients perspective, thats all I am I am not an expert, PM me anytime. Take care and best of luck deciding on your doc...

You only live once...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so sorry for the delayed response, Bill.

I had subscribed to be notified on an update to this thread. Turned out the notifications were filtered out.

Anyway, my surgeon is Dr. Sharon Keene. (and Gorpy's results have a lot to do with my decision icon_smile.gif His hair characteristics and hair loss extent seemed very close to mine.

Also, from all the pictures I came across, I absolutely loved her work.

With the excitement of being just a week away from my surgery, I can barely sit still; although I think I have managed to keep my expectations in check.

But, dang, I would give anything to get the results Gorpy did icon_smile.gif

Arrie, Thank you for the info.

Dr. Shapiro was very high on my list. I had 2 phone consultations with SMG. One was with Matt Z. and a long one with Dr. Shapiro himself.

He took his time and answered all my questions.

It was eventually a toss up between the two (Keene and Shapiro), and I felt safe going with either.

Finally Dr. Keene's willingless to do a 2 day megasession swayed my decision towards Dr. Keene. (not to mention Gorpy's half-of-fame results icon_smile.gif

Nervous but excited.

Hoping all will go well.

Furless,

Congratulations on making a decision. Choosing between two excellent physicians is difficult. I would personally feel comfortable in either of their chairs.

I hope you'll keep us posted on your experience and that you'll share your pictures with us.

I encourage you also to create a hair loss weblog.

Best wishes,

Bill

Congrats Furless. I am glad to have been some help. I really don't post my pictures to try to lead anyone towards my doctor - only to show what I have achieved.

You are correct and very perceptive in noticing that doctors have a certain "style" that is all their own.

It sounds like you are getting a two day session. Is that correct? How many grafts are you expecting to get?

Gorp

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hi Gorpy,

I have not come across too many of Dr. Keene's patient pics on this forum, so thank you for posting your pics.

From all the pics I did find, I was most impressed by her hairline work and how she fills in the temple areas.

Yes, I'm going for a 2-day session. The goal is to get 4500 grafts, donor willing.

Furless

See Furless? Knew you could do it buddy!!!!

Congrats on your decision and I hope you will share your journey with us.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

You have made a great decision. That's like choosing between a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. Can't go wrong with either. Best of luck and keep us posted on how things go for you. Ask for the "Gorpy". I would love to see someone show him up. icon_smile.gif

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I know what you're up to NN. You're trying to prepare me for your upcoming great results icon_smile.gif

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Thanks, guys, for all your support.

And please join me on my upcoming year long journey.

I hope it will be a smooth, uneventful ride (but my seatbelt is buckled).

Furless

Furless,

I am glad that you made a decision and you have done your research. Isn't it great to come to a forum like this and talk to people that actually care?!? Its great and we are blessed that we have this resource. I looked at some of Dr. Keene's work and let me say that I can see why you chose her, great work. icon_cool.gif I hope you share the experience with us and let us in on you journey. I wish you all the best and maybe she can create a "hall of fame" head of hair on you. Take care my friend...

P.S I know how you feel about the anticipation, its great!

You only live once...

As I hace said , there are about 10 docs on here who could produce a superior result..

You can't go wrong with the two you mentioned

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

temple areas

i had HT with DR. Keene and im very happy with results after 13 months.

Maybe i expected a little bit more,but i had "only" 2000 grafts.thats why i would sugest to everyone to go with more grafts because 2000 gr will not make any big difference!

im also happy that all my natural hair i lost in shock loss came back!

The deed is done!

I will surely be writing a detailed account later when I'm less dazed.

All these meds have knocked me out so bad that I've barely even looked at the mirror, believe it or not.

I will write a blog along with pics in a day or two.

Thank you all once again for your support.

MarylandGuy,

Thanks.

No. Dr. Keene didn't shave the recipient area, but she did summarily cut a bunch of my existing long native hairs saying "these long wispy hairs arent' doing anything for you cosmetically anyway".

Well, when coupled with toppik and couvre they were cosmetically helpful! But I didn't care at all. I'm OK with anything that would make it easier for her to do a better job on me.

And yes, my existing hairs were perhaps a bit too long anyway.

She normally advises the patient NOT to have a hair cut less than 7 days prior to surgery.

I have just filled up a basic blog, but not much about the whole experience yet. A detailed experience of the surgery and pictures will follow soon after I get requested details from the clinic.

Guest wanthairs

Congratulations furless......

Welcome to the club, and be patient and throw away all the mirrors in your house for the first 5 months...