flap? and body hair?

I was reading about something in australia.

As i understood the proceedure, i believe they cut a chunk of hairs from the back of your head, and transplant the chunk of hairs in one go to the recipient area? rather than individually.

has anyone heard of anything like this? Is this usually cheap? is it effective? what are the positives/negatives of this?

They were also discussing transplanting body hair and how, when you transfer it to the head, it takes on different characteristics, such as leg hair grows faster and grows longer when its on your head.

Has anyone on here ever transplanted body hair?

I know this sounds stupid, but would pubes, since they are thick and long, can they be transplanted? and straightened - espeically if they were kept short.

Does anyone know why body hair transplants are more expensive?

ALL-- I am removing myself from any affiliation with SMG to give Guy an internet kick in the nuts!

(BAM!!!!)

Ok, now I am back icon_biggrin.gif

Guy, no flaps, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER!!!!!

I just want you to understand how against flap surgery I am and how many horror stories are out there as a result.

Your doing a GREAT job researching all of your options and asking the right questions, but if you decide to go with with a scalp reduction/flap surgery, Me, Bill, NN, Buzz, Gorpy, JB, Wanthairs and MANY others will fly "down under", find you, rough you up a bit, fly you up to Mexico and leave you there with NO MONEY!

Anyway, BHT is option for some, not for others.. my personal opinion is those who have EXTREMELY robust or coarse body hair in quantity are likely candidates. I believe BHT should be explored after scalp donor is exhausted or near its limit.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

thanks for the reply.

i dont think my normal body hair would work.

Are pubes a viable option, maybe the ones near the upper leg, that are a mutant between pubes and leg hair?

I wouldnt want to use pubes on my hairline, but maybe just to fill in the crown in the future.

are body hair transplants usually successful?

are there any additional factors that need to be taken into account?

• Moderators

A lot of people have a good amount of long thick hair in their underarms. I've been thinking about doing body hair transplants because I don't have any donor hair left on top. I actually want to put some hairs into the donor area to fill in some scars. I started using a laser comb though and decided to give it at least til the end of the year to see how that goes before I think more about doing BHT.

Flap surgery will mess you up bad. We won't even have to go there to rough you up. The flap surgery will do that for us.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

No surgery is flawless, but I like to think that there are procedures that are extremely effective, procedures that are largely ineffective, and procedures that present unnecessary risk.

FUT and FUE are effective when applied correctly and responsibly. BHT is sometimes an option, but the cosmetic results are often not there, nor is a proper understanding of hair cycling when body hair is moved to the scalp. Flap surgery holds many risks and is probably inappropriate for 99% + of hair restoration candidates.

If I were you I would first look at medical therapy, if applicable to your case, and then check Follicular Unit surgeries (like FUT/strip and FUE).

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.