anyone suggest bosley?

livingalie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every first-hand account of a Bosley experience that I have seen/heard of has ranged from horrific to mediocre (when compared to other options). When compared to the supremely consistent, world-class clinics that transparently exist there is really no reason to go to a corporate hair-mill like Bosley and roll the dice.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I am not saying yes or no.I am not sugesting or recommending>I am giving you this info published on the web.Is it true I don't know.Do I believe it is true.Yes.Do I say you too should believe it?No.

Is it out there on the web?Yes.

In 1996, Bosley Medical Group agreed to pay $644,724 to settle a false-advertising case in California. Bosley Medical allegedly misrepresented costs, photos, the medical qualifications of certain personnel, and pain and scarring due to surgery.

i went to bosley... i would not recommend them... i had 2 HTs with them... there are better options.. you are GAMBLING that you will get a decent doc... i was lucky and i STILL could have had a much better result...... if you wanna role the dice go to bosley..... HTs are very difficult to do properly... so if you chose to get one why not give yourself the BEST chance? and even still, there are no guarantees.... i would avoid the hair 'mills' like bosley and MHR... each office does like 5 HTs a day sometimes more and thats one doc

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

I went to Bosley and they are a very hard sell. I even got to meet with their top doctor in their Beverly Hills office and he didn't seem to want to be bothered with me. And what's up with all the doors???? It was Get Smart all over again. I think if you're going to spend this kind of money and put your future "look" in someone's hands, I would want to feel more comfortable than the feeling I got from Bosley. Check out a little place in the Valley called Samson. They have an atlanta office too. I have had 2 previous procedures and at this place they fixed my hairline and made me feel king for the day. I'm doing their laser treatments now to help the hair grow better. Trust your gut feeling when you go anywhere.

I think that the answer you will get is a resounding NO!!!!!!

You have exponentially better options and for less $$. Stick around here, do a lot of research, figure out what your needs/options are and then make a knowledgeable decision.

Everyone is here to help you make an informed decision. Your donor is limited...don't waste anymore on subpar results.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I do not know much about Bosley. I think many people are down on them while a few had satisfactory results. I think it is probably hard to make a blanket good statement about Bosley because they probably have 100's of different doctors working under the Bosley name around the country. I think to give an honest opinion about a Bosley doctor we would have to know exactly who the doctor is.

Asking about the Bosley organization is not the same as asking about a Feller, Hanson, Wong, Rahal, Shapiro, etc where you actually know who your doctor will be.

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Livingalie,

Bosley's TV ad's got me interested in HT's. So, I called them and made an appointment with them in April of 2008 in Atlanta, GA. I went to meet with "salesman consultant first" and he did the pictures and the analysis of my hair and then I had to ask for to meet the doctor which may have been the doctor what would have done the HT but they have 3 or 4 there I was told that would do it and I did not like that at all. The gave me a quote which was HIGH and for only 2500 grafts. I was a NW5. Because I did not have the warm feeling about them I googled HT doctor's and found two that sounded good. Dr. Griffin in Atlanta which didn;t return my call until I called 3 times which was a turn off. And I called Dr. Cooley's office in Charlotte, NC. I met with Ailene the Clinical assistant to Dr. Cooley and also met with Dr. Cooley and this was on July 15, 2008. Well on November 14, 2008 I had Dr. Cooley's team do my HT and I had over 3500 grafts placed and it was a awesome and VERY great experience. They know what they are doing and the know how to take care of the patient. I would meet with Dr. Cooley and Ailene in Charlotte, NC well before wasting your time with Bosley. All there money goes to TV ad's which are very expensive. Dr. Cooley's advertising are his patients and happy ones talk. And I am only 4 days post-op.

Good luck and do not wait if you would like to get a HT done.

Tony

First time poster here.

I had a procedure done at Bosley (Beverly Hills) two months ago and it's too soon for judgement. I'm 30 years old and had 2200 grafts placed in the front and top with a little bit in the crown. So far just dealing with some shock loss and patiently waiting.

I discovered this site AFTER I had my procedure done and now am a little troubled by all the negative comments concerning Bosley. I surely would not have gone there if I knew what I know now. In all fairness though, my experience with the staff was a pleasant one. I can only hope my results will be just as pleasant.

-Nervous in California

Originally posted by TripleJ:

First time poster here.

I had a procedure done at Bosley (Beverly Hills) two months ago and it's too soon for judgement. I'm 30 years old and had 2200 grafts placed in the front and top with a little bit in the crown. So far just dealing with some shock loss and patiently waiting.

I discovered this site AFTER I had my procedure done and now am a little troubled by all the negative comments concerning Bosley. I surely would not have gone there if I knew what I know now. In all fairness though, my experience with the staff was a pleasant one. I can only hope my results will be just as pleasant.

-Nervous in California

hey triple.. my story is the exact same.. i too found the forums right after my 2nd trip back to bosley... i was uneasy already after my first HT cause it was very very thin, so when i saw all the negativity surrounding bosley i was freaked..... as i said i would not recommend them as i feel there are FAR better options out there and the decision is FAR to important to chance., however, i do feel i recieved a standard HT given the docs skill... it is thin, as he ob did not have skill to dense pack, and it has other issues i could not have anticipated but overall its still an improvement from where i would most likely be without.... do keep in mind that while bosley is far from the best, they got MOST of their bad reputation for their PAST WORK.... today, as a whole, bosley does do a little bit better work IMO.... so i know your nervous but try to relax, think positive and see what happens. you may have a result you are happy with, but even if you do not take comfort in knowing that you will be much more educated and ready if you need future work to get where you want to be..... all the best and good growing to you.. you should post pics if you can, of pre op- immediately post op, and chart your progress as you go.....

lostmyswagger,

thanks so much for the words of encouragement. i've been lurking on these boards for the last 2 months and it's awesome to see the way everyone supports each other - even if it means being brutally honest. i do plan on having a 2nd procedure even if the bosley results turn out well. they gave me a very conservative hairline for my age and didn't address the temple areas at all. still kicking myself for not doing more research but as they say, better late than never. thanks again.

j

• 2 weeks later...

Look, don't be too nervous man. I can promise you that the majority of the people on here have not had a surgery performed there nor have they seen anyone personally who has. They have mostly read horror stories on the internet... which if you haven't noticed is filled with them (in all walks of life)! Most people who are very satisfied (with anything) will not be as likely to post something on a forum as someone who is upset/bitter/angry etc. Now that being said, I had a Bosley surgery. I did it when I was young, and didn't realize that just because they were the best advertised, didn't mean they were the best. I had a minor surgery of 800 grafts and to be perfectly honest am not very happy with it. This does not mean I've been butchered. In fact, my scar healed great. The work that was done on me was recently critiqued by one of the most respected HT doctors in the country. He said something like,

"They didn't do a bad job... they just didn't finish it".

He could not have been more right. And this is why you may want to go somewhere else for your next HT. I now have to get my old work filled in, instead of concentrating on new areas, which I would be doing had I gotten the best job to begin with.

So all that said, don't let these posts scare you too much. You may have had a surgery that you will be very happy with. Keep a positive attitude, as I truly believe that is half the battle. Good luck man, keep us updated.

800+- Bosley NY, June 2005

1300+- Dr. Feller, December 2008

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1021

We should be on here to help and look out for each other, not to make someone feel worse about their situation.

Thanks Foundation for your thoughtful comments. I am seriously thinking of going to Bosley.

I've done a lot of research -- the last thing to do is to research the name of the doctor they gave me. I am nervous -- esp after reading this forum, but I think you are right most of the people who post are the unhappy ones. But I've seen a lot on the internet as well about unhappy people from many other clinics. Is there anyone out there with a good word to say about Bosley??

BTW ... I am a 5A ... do you think 2000 grafts is a good start for the front and top only?

Looks like I need to remind my doctor to do "dense pack."

Consider this my mitzvah of the day, as I am going to be blunt:

If you go to Bosley you are at best playing Russian Roulette with your physical embodiment, at worst will get a butcher-job that you will regret for the rest of your life, and most likely you will receive a 3.5/10 while paying a premium for sub-mediocrity.

Moreover, there is absolutely no reason to play this game of Russian Roulette. You can either follow through on the research you are just beginning to do, or you can go to a hair-mill that is a sewage system for accountability, reliability, and ability.

And 2k grafts on a NW5 virgin scalp is a joke; and your doctor more likely can't do a "dense pack" even if he wanted to.

It sounds like Foundation, if he isn't an out n' out shill, enjoys prodding other people into making and living with poor decisions. You can always think super positive though and the gods that oversee Bosley Hair will swoop down and deliver you the satisfaction you want.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

kobuck-

you've read this thread...so why gamble?? Is Foundation happy with his result--no. Could it have been done right the first time--yes.

You are taking a risk with bosely and now that you have found this site that risk is totally unnecessary. It is your head and your hair and you can make any decision you want.

But a procedure at bosely WILL cost way more than a similar one with a coalition doctor. Is 2000 grafts enough for a NW5--not a chance. I am a NW4 and got almost 4300--could I of had more, probably.

Don't waste your donor with a procedure that you will end up needing to fix or repair or simply won't be happy with. And going to a coalition doc, with a proven track record and transparency with pictures and clients, will cost you significantly less.

To put it in a baseball analogy: Why go to a clinic that bats at best .300, when you can go to one that bats .875?? Do some research here. Do some consults with some of the docs. You are a NW5 with limited donor.

The decision of course is ultimately yours. We are just here to help. Please don't gamble with something like this.

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Wow -- this is stunning to see these last 2 posts. Simply mind blowing. You are really scaring me now.

my goodness for 4300 grafts -- this is looking like its close to $20,000

That is too much for me!

I think you have sufficiently scared me enough to dump this procedure.

It's takes so much courage to just think about this procedure and these last two posts have deflated me enough to put a fast halt to all of this.

Thank you for this important information -- thank you, thank you, thank you -- I just do not have this kind of money and do not want to get suckered into spending this by a botched job. Wow! I feel just floored!

I guess the old sayings are true -- "stick to what the good Lord gave you."

Thanks guys!

Kobuck, exactly.....keep up the research; consider to get an online consultation with a proven, elite doc or two....it'l be free and you'll get an honest evaluation.

Either way, just keep researching if you are still -- or will ever -- entertain the thought of getting a HT.

-----------

Kobuck--- why are you still considering bosley? there are better options. even the ones who went to bosley RECENTLY, like myself, are saying this... a hair transplant is FAR TO important to gamble.... have you had any consults with TOP docs?? have you formed a realistic gameplan that includes your longterm future?? i can speak from experience when i say future planning is NOT bosleys strong point... nor are their prices, not to mention there are docs and clinics that are FAR FAR less of a gamble..... with hair restoration you want the very best possible.. anything less than that and you give yourself a nice chance at regreting your decision..... the LAST thing you want to do is rush this decision... trust me

I really dont see how anyone can make a broad statement good or bad about Bosley. Doesnt he have hundreds of different doctors working for him? I think you would have to discuss a specific doctor there to get a valuable response. In my opinion I would pass on Bosley though. If you have made up your mind to get a HT wouldnt it make sense to go to a doctor you have seen a lot of reviews on rather than a massive corporation of doctors that have many less than stellar reviews?

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs