Slicked Back Hair -- calling all slicked back dudes!

Anyone here slick their hair back, or familiar with doing so?

I kinda haphazardly found myself slicking my hair back tonight; in a mad rush, I ended up working product through unusually damp hair, and when working some product through, my hair naturally slicked right back, looked alright, and I just ran out.

After 2nd look, I actually kinda like the look -- incredibly easy to style, bit different, and I think it could be a keeper.

*However*, especially on close inspection and/or bright light, you can 100% see scalp. I'm conflicted because on the one hand seeing *any* scalp is typically anathema to me, and the huge red flag that my hair is looking off/bad.

Is this somewhat more normal, or accepted, with slicked back hair? Sure guys with ferocious lion's manes probably have little to no scalp regardless; but is in the realm of common, non-raging-MPB, that one slicks back their hair and scalp is shown?

I'll upload some pics later to show what precisely I'm working with.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Scalp does show on heaps of guys without mpb when they slick back their hair (though for some it doesn't). I was working tonight and saw pretty much straight through a dudes hair with this look, so I did a double take and realised it was this way all over his head and was natural with his thin hair. I think it matters the extent of scalp that is visible when slicked back so your pics are a great idea. If it was me I would only slick back the top leaving the sides and donor as they may be used for comparison when slicked back.

Let's see some pics Thana! By the way, where did you say you could find that "Dirt" styling product as I have tried Target but so far no luck.

M&M

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Pics are taken, will post them tonight once Giant game is over!

M&M, the generic Dirt, which is by FX I believe, I've always gotten at Walgreens, and some CVS stores carry it.

The original Dirt, I get online -- through either Folica or Amazon.

It's more expensive, but a little goes a *long* way, and it really is a superior product, IMHO. It might not "thicken" as much as generic Dirt, but no product just makes hair look so good and have such good feel to it.

I think original Dirt would go PERFECT with your hair and style, M.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks Thana! I will check out CVS or Walgreens to see if they have the "FX Special Effects" Dirt. I may as well try the $6 version before trying the $26 version. icon_smile.gif

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

The photos will answer this but did you slick it back with a comb or a brush? A comb creates channels which will show scalp, while a brush doesn't. They're two different looks really.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but I pretty much slick mine back and to the side just a little. I wash my hair, dry it, apply minox, throw a little wax in it, and then brush it back. It works for now because of the hair I currently have and looks better than if I had tried to style it. It is very easy. My wife's uncle is pretty bald and slicks it back out of the shower and I think it is the best he looks all day. It is a very clean look IMO for the over 40 crowd. (Im not that old, so I guess I am ahead of my time.)

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Slicking back my hair and letting it dry that way when its longer gives me the best volume and thickness.

When it dries it falls down a little onto my forehead and covers the hairline just enough. So damn easy to style too.

Currently cannot do it when its short though.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Pics, Thana?

You can see I got a pretty stellar result from my procedures, and in fact not twenty minutes ago I had a military officer come through the office I work in and say to me, "Wow, that is some thick hair you got there," and went on to mention that he's starting to notice other peoples' hair more since he is starting to lose his.

Regardless, you can see in my avatar and in my later blog posts (6 Months Post-Op) that at least a little of my scalp shows through when slicked back... Unless you're one of those relatively rare dudes with ultra-thick hair, that's a normal thing and not indicitive of hair loss in most peoples' minds. Perception mainly depends on the location/strength of the hairline - people associate "balding" with the stereotypical crown bald spot and receding/weak hairline, but not if the entire head of hair is just unformly thin; people just brush that off as "natural."

Edited by OtherSyde