Best season for HT?

Guys,

As you all know, the weather is getting pretty hot this time of the year. In fact, yesterday afternoon I was getting all sweaty on my scalp just being 10 minutes under the sun in the 90+ degree temperature and the humidity. And it wasn't even due to any strenuous physical activity, I am talking about getting out of work, walking toward my car on the parking lot. As my scalp was heated up under the blazing sunlight, I was so happy I got my HT done back in February when everything was nice and cool, even though I didn't factor this in back then. After all, all those heat, sunlight, and sweat can't be good for a freshly wounded scalp that had just went through a HT surgery, even for temporary exposure.

So the question for you guys is: do you take the season into consideration when scheduling your HT? In other words, do you schedule one right now just because that's your earliest availability or will you wait till at least October/November timeframe when the sun is not as strong?

Guys,

As you all know, the weather is getting pretty hot this time of the year. In fact, yesterday afternoon I was getting all sweaty on my scalp just being 10 minutes under the sun in the 90+ degree temperature and the humidity. And it wasn't even due to any strenuous physical activity, I am talking about getting out of work, walking toward my car on the parking lot. As my scalp was heated up under the blazing sunlight, I was so happy I got my HT done back in February when everything was nice and cool, even though I didn't factor this in back then. After all, all those heat, sunlight, and sweat can't be good for a freshly wounded scalp that had just went through a HT surgery, even for temporary exposure.

So the question for you guys is: do you take the season into consideration when scheduling your HT? In other words, do you schedule one right now just because that's your earliest availability or will you wait till at least October/November timeframe when the sun is not as strong?

That's a good question! I for one did not want to get it done in the middle of summer; we travel ALL summer on all kinds of goofy trips with the kids plus beach, pools, etc. I wanted it done during the winter since we almost "hibernate" in the cold months. But, I waited too long to try to schedule so I ended up having a Mar 20 date; not bad actually because I'm all healed up and growing now and its just starting to get hot.

While I initially thought I'd want to have my HT in the fall as we in the midwest prepare to hibernate, I decided to have mine at the end of this month simply because I'm more eager for time to start doing it's thing (growing season ya know).

The tradeoff: I'll have a little less swimming time this summer (I plan to stay out of the sun and clorinated pool....eliminate any factors that might affect growth), but things should look alot better 12 months from now in NEXT summer's pool season.

If you do a search, you'll see me post about how I figured the best time of year to get a HT was the winter so that things start to pop up in the spring just as nature does.

Now here I am getting my Ht in Aug. I believe it comes down to whenever it works best for your schedule. I have now convinced myself that summer is the best time because if my scalp looks pink people will think its s sunburn and wearing a hat is more normal. Things will start to look good for Christmas and by next summer they will be coming to fruition.

Who knows what the best time is?? Whatever works for you.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

I had my first one in August 2006 & the next the following April. Was more concerned about what I wanted done & really didn't give a lot of thought about the season. My thinking was ASAP!

Interesting discussion...one we have had before, but always interesting to hear the varying view points.

It really is subjective to be honest...there is no BEST season, but only best for the individual.

I have a tendency to lean toward late fall or early winter as the BEST time for me for a few reasons:

1. It's cooler, so I won't experience as much sweating

2. Along the same line, I'm a shore guy, and love to spend time on the beach, in the sand and ocean. Even keeping my hair under a hat the whole time makes for a LOT of sweat and it's just very unpleasant.

3. Spring/summer is MORE of a social/party time period and how cool would it be to show off your new head of hair at that time?

But what about for the skier and others who love winter sports? What if there are weddings and other social events that fill our social calendars at other parts of the year? What about teachers who have off during the summer? Perhaps right after the school year is the best time for them!

Finding the best time is very personal and depends on your schedule and what you like to do.

Cheers,

Bill

• Moderators

I personally preferred October or November for a HT. The cold weather was just starting to come, so I could wear hats all winter whenever I went out without anyone thinking anything or seeing my work in progress. Then by the time April and May came around my hair would start growing in so I'd be ready for the Summer.

Well that was always my plan anyway. Never really worked out like that though.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.