had surgery with dr h. rahal at the age of 20

yes guyz, you may be alarmed at me having a transplant at such a young age.

but i have been really patient for the last 4 years when it all began and did my research.

i had a strip surgery with dr rahal with 3608 grafts and density of 70fu/cm2 at hairline, reducing the density the further back the grafts were placed.

in all honesty, the surgery went really good, im 4 days post-op, things are looking good. im kinda glad i chose the doctor i did and didnt fell a sucker with doctors back home in the UK

please have a look at my weblog and let me know what you think. i will keep you guyz posted so theres more to come!

3608 grafts with dr h.rahal, june 2007

1623 grafts- dr h. rahal, november 2008

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes guyz, you may be alarmed at me having a transplant at such a young age.

but i have been really patient for the last 4 years when it all began and did my research.

i had a strip surgery with dr rahal with 3608 grafts and density of 70fu/cm2 at hairline, reducing the density the further back the grafts were placed.

in all honesty, the surgery went really good, im 4 days post-op, things are looking good. im kinda glad i chose the doctor i did and didnt fell a sucker with doctors back home in the UK

please have a look at my weblog and let me know what you think. i will keep you guyz posted so theres more to come!

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

I can't see the Picture, anyone eles having this problem?

I would like to see what 70fu/cm2 looks like!

They have got to be packed in there!

Originally posted by folica:

I can't see the Picture, anyone eles having this problem?

I would like to see what 70fu/cm2 looks like!

They have got to be packed in there!

ye i get wat u mean...well if u look, bayscholar was able to see it...i will see what i can do about it.

in the meanwhile, you can view my blog through the standard way of viewing all blogs and then choosing the right doctor...in my case its dr h.rahal

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

Azza,

Only time will tell whether you made the right decision to get a HT at 20 or not. I personally question Dr. Rahals decision to do the surgery at your age and the extent of hairloss.

The good thing is that you researched and choose a good doctor that gave you an exceptional refined HT. It will make for a pretty decent cosmetic difference but won't give you the full head of hair. That being said however, Dr. Rahal does have the skills to do a lot with 3600 fu and it is amazing sometimes the transformation that takes place.

I just hope that you have limited future hairloss and are not one that is desstined to have diffuse hairloss.

Stay positive and be happy with the new you. Best of luck.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Azza, The work looks very good.

As for having it done at such an early age,

I am wondering if your hairloss is due to Male pattern baldness.

That diffused pattern is unusual at your age.

And yes I can see why you opted for the HT even at your age.

I think you will be happy with the results but you will have to deal with it again somewtime down the road.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Originally posted by folica:

Azza, The work looks very good.

As for having it done at such an early age,

I am wondering if your hairloss is due to Male pattern baldness.

That diffused pattern is unusual at your age.

And yes I can see why you opted for the HT even at your age.

I think you will be happy with the results but you will have to deal with it again somewtime down the road.

Good luck & keep us posted.

folica, thanks for that. yes i do not have diffuse thinning, it is male pattern baldness. in the pics, it is not all that clear as i havent had my hair cut since march but when i do cut it, the mpb shape becomes really obvious!

and yes, dr rahal has made it clear to me that i will need future sessions. its one of the 1st things he told me

thanks and i will keep posted!

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

Hi Azza, I think it looks great. Your hair at the sides looks healthy. It would suck being that bald at your age so I think a HT was the right decision. Just have to hope that you don't recede down the sides when you're older.

Azza,

IMO, it's always risky to have surgery at such a young age, however...

I will actually disagree with NN and probably others and say that I don't see a harm in the fact that you had surgery this early.

Now that's going to sound strange since I've posted an article that addresses all the risks of having surgery at an early age. If you want to see it, the link is here:

Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

However, here is my reasoning why I think it may have been the right choice for you, and why I don't question Dr. Rahal.

1. You have not just started to lose your hair...much of it was already gone, giving a pretty clear idea of where you will end up. Currently, I'd classify you as a NW5.

2. The transplanted grafts were spread out over a larger area, not dense packed in one particular area, which will end up giving you as close to a "Stand-alone" transplant as possible.

3. Assuming that Dr. Rahal has concluded that you have good donor laxity and density, 3600 grafts is not that many and you'd have plenty more for future loss.

I do, however, only hope that you are on finasteride in order to attempt to prevent losing more native hair.

I'd also suggest that you WAIT on your next transplant for a number of years and do not do a second pass to try to dense up existing areas until it can be determined whether or not more loss is in your future, AKA, going from a NW5 to a NW6.

I DO, however, hope, that you are not destined for a NW7...for that is the major concern I have for younger people getting HTs, even if they start conservatively.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

Azza,

IMO, it's always risky to have surgery at such a young age, however...

I will actually disagree with NN and probably others and say that I don't see a harm in the fact that you had surgery this early.

Now that's going to sound strange since I've posted an article that addresses all the risks of having surgery at an early age. If you want to see it, the link is here:

Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=152790

However, here is my reasoning why I think it may have been the right choice for you, and why I don't question Dr. Rahal.

1. You have not just started to lose your hair...much of it was already gone, giving a pretty clear idea of where you will end up. Currently, I'd classify you as a NW5.

2. The transplanted grafts were spread out over a larger area, not dense packed in one particular area, which will end up giving you as close to a "Stand-alone" transplant as possible.

3. Assuming that Dr. Rahal has concluded that you have good donor laxity and density, 3600 grafts is not that many and you'd have plenty more for future loss.

I do, however, only hope that you are on finasteride in order to attempt to prevent losing more native hair.

I'd also suggest that you WAIT on your next transplant for a number of years and do not do a second pass to try to dense up existing areas until it can be determined whether or not more loss is in your future, AKA, going from a NW5 to a NW6.

I DO, however, hope, that you are not destined for a NW7...for that is the major concern I have for younger people getting HTs, even if they start conservatively.

Bill

everything you ave mentioned was explained to me by dr rahal.

he spent about an hour in my hotel room the next day i got to canada talkingme through this and explaining what can be done now, for how long and how long i am looking to have next procedure.

he believes that this op is good enough for the next 5-6 years, then i can consider further should i wish.

as for my donor denstiy, he said my texture is really good whilst density is average!

and yes, i have been on finasteride for about 2 years and still on it.

thanks!

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

Azza,

I am glad to hear Dr. Rahal and I are on the same page. As I've said before, he is a class act and does excellent work.

I'm also glad to see you are on Propecia and that Dr. Rahal said to wait 5 or 6 years before having another one.

What did he say about your donor laxity? Anything? There are two contributers to number available grafts, donor density and donor laxity. If you have average donor density...what about laxity?

Thanks,

Bill

Azza,

As I stated, you went to a great doc. The results will be terrific.

I am against a 20 yr. old getting a HT because of the uncertainty of the future. I don't like Bills reasoning (which is rare as I usually agree with him) because although it is clearer as to your hairloss pattern than someone who is just receeding, I would think that a person with a NW 5 at age 20 is more likely going to have advanced hairloss---possible NW7. Yes it happens but rarely do I ever see someone have their hairloss stop at age 20. I hope I'm wrong.

My point is not to upset you or make you worry and I apologize if that is the case, but I really want you to educate yourself for the future and plan carefully. Moreover, anyone else looking at this thread, I would like them to learn from it.

Best of luck to you.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by NervousNelly:

Azza,

As I stated, you went to a great doc. The results will be terrific.

I am against a 20 yr. old getting a HT because of the uncertainty of the future. I don't like Bills reasoning (which is rare as I usually agree with him) because although it is clearer as to your hairloss pattern than someone who is just receeding, I would think that a person with a NW 5 at age 20 is more likely going to have advanced hairloss---possible NW7. Yes it happens but rarely do I ever see someone have their hairloss stop at age 20. I hope I'm wrong.

My point is not to upset you or make you worry and I apologize if that is the case, but I really want you to educate yourself for the future and plan carefully. Moreover, anyone else looking at this thread, I would like them to learn from it.

Best of luck to you.

NN

o defintely! i agree with what you say and have educated myself enough to prepare for possible surprises the future may hold for me. i am thinking rationally!

as for uncertainty of future loss, rahal has preparaed me such a way that despite having to have surgery in the future, he has given me a good starting point to combat atlest some of the loss i have.

thanks.

total- 5231 grafts

My Hair Loss Website

Azza, Your work looks great, I know it must have been a difficult decision to go forward considering the amount of hairloss at such an early age.

I think Bills response is confusing in that he mentioned it is obvious where your hairloss is headed then later mentioned he hopes you do not go nw7?? No one really knows which is why this is risky for anyone.

The one really great thing you have going for you is your age in a certain sense. Technology in ten years or twenty years will be better and may lead to complete restoration techniques thru HM or medication. If that happens you will be young enough to take advantage, many of us will not or will not care at that point in our lives!

I do hope you do not go NW7 and your result is outstanding.

NoBuzz

Great work!

Difficult decision..........while I personally wouldn't advise a 20yr old to get a HT, I believe your case is one where an exception may be warranted for the reasons Bill mentions in his post.

Best of luck to you,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I agree with Bill on this one. You know what you were getting into when Dr. Rahal consulted with you and you realize that even that mini-mega session of 3600 will most likely not give you a full head of hair, but it will improve your appearance.

You do have extensive loss and with the graphs spread-out, you should have great results from a great and talented doc. Not to mention - although it should not be counted on - it may be possible that through the advances of hair replacement tech, you may be able to get a full head of hair back in a decade or two.

I think you are going to be fine. You've chosen a doc with talent and a fantastic people-oriented attitude.

I was considering who would be my doc for my next HT and I was trying to decide between H&W and Shapiro, and now I MUST through Dr. Rahal into consideration! His talent and ethical treatment of patients has really impressed me.

• 2 weeks later...

Azza,

The photos look great. Awesome job on the scar as it appears no longer pink and already somewhat concealed.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• 2 weeks later...