1800 FU W/Dr. Keene 6/18/09, massive shock loss to donor area (strip)

dustinp

My wife adds that by looking at the sides, or ends of the incision, there is absolutely no shock loss at all. Did someone say this would only be caused by the closure being to tight? At any rate, I would much rather lose a little hair than bleed out icon_smile.gif. But why wouldn't I have "lost" it on the sides??? And by the way, I am not meaning for this to be a blow towards Dr. Keene, she and her staff were great! We should all be aware of the risks involved with these types of procedures from the begining. . .

Oh, also, yes, I had been taking the finestride for exactly 30 days before my surgery. And it has been 5 weeks and 3 days since my surgery. . . so 10 weeks on finestride. . .

Thanks for the update dustinp.

From everything I've read, if you do have temporary shockloss from the donor area, it most commonly will be below the sutures like you are showing. Maybe it's possible it might have been a little tight back there.

I've read that sometimes sutures can kind of put a stranglehold on the follicles around the suture if it's a bit tight which is why a lot of docs use staples(plus it's faster). So sometimes under those conditions the hairs will go into the resting stage for a few months.

dustinp,

Temporary shock loss is somewhat unpredictable and can be worse in some patients than others. Let's not assume the worst at this point and speculate that it will be permanent. Just be sure to consult with Dr. Keene and get her medical input on this as well. Communication with your doctor in my opinion, is a vital part of the hair transplant process.

Keep us posted on your healing. Hopefully, all of the shocked hair will return.

All the Best,

Bill

I asked her that very question (before the surgery, I am just curious that way) she told me everyone is a little different. I "carry" my donor hair a little higher, she told me. Also, take a look at the picture. I measured my two fingers at the last knuckle, the red line is exactly 1.5 inches long. I think it is a small amount over 3 inches from hairline to scar. . . but the first inch is very fine "baby" hair. . . what do you all think?

scar.thumb.jpg.6c16c6c36c62a5b45d9a302fffee6df7.jpg

And by the way, I have only sent these pictures to Dr. Keene AFTER posting them here. . . so she has only had 1 or 2 days to get back to me. I am sure she will respond (if not on this board) to me soon. . .

Old Baldy,

No, she usually harvests the strip on the occipital bump.

Atomic,

There's nothing unsafe (at least in terms of scar stretching) about taking strips above the occipital bump, only below. There have been several situations doctors take higher strips. Obviously, the concern here is that if the patient progresses to a level 6 or 7 on the norwood scale, then he may lose some of the transplanted hair. But doctors I've talked to regarding this approach carefully consider an individual's characteristics, risk of future hair loss, and hair restoration plan.

It appears that Dustinp and Dr. Keene have discussed this as indicated by his last response.

All the Best,

Bill

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Old Baldy,

No, she usually harvests the strip on the occipital bump.

Atomic,

There's nothing unsafe (at least in terms of scar stretching) about taking strips above the occipital bump, only below. There have been several situations doctors take higher strips. Obviously, the concern here is that if the patient progresses to a level 6 or 7 on the norwood scale, then he may lose some of the transplanted hair. But doctors I've talked to regarding this approach carefully consider an individual's characteristics, risk of future hair loss, and hair restoration plan.

It appears that Dustinp and Dr. Keene have discussed this as indicated by his last response.

All the Best,

Bill

Hello again, I measured and my scar is 1 1/4 inches above the occipital protuberance. . . I am 28 and hair loss started (very, very, slowly and only in the front) when I was 22. . .Is there a way a doctor could look at your hair and "predict" that you may have a good chance of not getting to a 6 or 7? Chances are this wouldn't happen until I was pretty old. So you are saying worst case, I lose my transplanted hair when I would have lost it in the back. Dr. Keene told me she looked at the the hairs in my (higher up) donor area and that they were not "miniturized". . . I was under the impression they would hang in there for life. . . Thanks for the help everyone

Dr. Keene responded to me and said;

"You do have some significant shock loss for the size of your surgery, however, I am confident it is temporary"

I am using minox. on the donor area. . . guess I gotta wait it out now. . . thanks for all the advice everybody!

Atomic,

Atomic,

Bill, I wasn't concerned about the scar stretching. Only that this youg guy might loose hair down to the strip.

I know @ 28 i had very little crown loss & never would have thought I would loose hair down to the occipital bump. But here I am at 51 & thats exactly what happened. So that is my concern for this young man.

"Quote" Dr. Keene told me she looked at the the hairs in my (higher up) donor area and that they were not "miniturized". . . I was under the impression they would hang in there for life. .

Dustin,

I hope that it doe's hang in there for life!

I think this type of shockloss is alarming & I would not expect Dr. Keene to take such a risk with the strip so high above the occipital bump. I'm a little shocked! Sorry about the pun...

• 2 weeks later...

Atomic,

Dr. Keene already let Dustin know that she has learned through many years of experience as a surgeon specializing in hair restoration surgery, through observation of thousands of men, that the donor area in the back of the head can not be defined solely by the location of the occipital hump. Some patients carry their donor hair above, some below, and some at that area. Your individual experience is indicative of your hair loss pattern. But it varies from patient to patient, and Dr. Keene assesses each patient individually.

Sir Fivehead,

If you have concerns please call Dr. Keene's office. It is unlikely that you have "permanent donor shock loss," rather, you may have an area where the incision stretched. There are many factors that can contribute to donor scar stretching, or suture reaction. This is not in fact permanent donor shock loss, but rather issues of incisional healing, and can typically be repaired. So please call us to schedule a follow up appointment with Dr. Keene.

I am a medical assistant and hair transplant surgical assistant employed by Dr. Keene

Dr. Keene is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians