Bosley and Dr. Bob Haber

Hi everyone,

I was really happy when I found this forum, because I got lots of information regarding HT's. I am 27 years old and I am experiencing hair loss from age 20. Right now I am at level-3 on NW scale. I had a free consultation with Bosley and planning to have a HT in December, 2007 with Bosley, Philadelphia. Doctor's name is Dr. Eric Carlson. Meanwhile as I stay in Cleveland, I am also planning to consult Dr Bob Haber in Cleveland, Ohio. I need your inputs regarding Bosley and Dr. Haber's clinic.

Bosley Consultation:

1. They said I needed 2400 grafts.

2. They are charging me $6 per graft.

Questions:

1. How good are Bosley with HT and especially Dr. Eric Carlson?

2. What is the reputation of Dr. Bob Haber and how much does he charge?

3. Anyone undergone HT with Bosley or Dr. Haber?

Please reply back to me ASAP as I need to make an appointment for the HT. Friends this is really an important decision in my life and please get back to me.

Thanks,

Maddy.

Hi everyone,

I was really happy when I found this forum, because I got lots of information regarding HT's. I am 27 years old and I am experiencing hair loss from age 20. Right now I am at level-3 on NW scale. I had a free consultation with Bosley and planning to have a HT in December, 2007 with Bosley, Philadelphia. Doctor's name is Dr. Eric Carlson. Meanwhile as I stay in Cleveland, I am also planning to consult Dr Bob Haber in Cleveland, Ohio. I need your inputs regarding Bosley and Dr. Haber's clinic.

Bosley Consultation:

1. They said I needed 2400 grafts.

2. They are charging me $6 per graft.

Questions:

1. How good are Bosley with HT and especially Dr. Eric Carlson?

2. What is the reputation of Dr. Bob Haber and how much does he charge?

3. Anyone undergone HT with Bosley or Dr. Haber?

Please reply back to me ASAP as I need to make an appointment for the HT. Friends this is really an important decision in my life and please get back to me.

Thanks,

Maddy.

Maddy, Do some more research while visiting this forum. Do a search on Bosley and you'll find a wealth of information available. While you're at it, search Haber too. I've not heard of him but that's not to say anything good or bad.

In any case, I cannot stress enough the importance of doing more research. Most of us here will not steer you in any one direction but simply hope to open your eyes and mind to other possibilities when so much is on the line.

Just out of curioustiy I hear everyone constantly say how bad bosley is, but I can't seem to find any pictures on this website of a bad procedure done by them. I have probablly read almost every post over the past year, and the only picture I can find is someone complaining about there donor scar, and personally the picture looks better than most I have seen. I am just curious if anyone has seen any pictures? Just for the record I have been to Bosley in San Francisco for two procedures but when the doctor left I went to Dr. Rosanelli in San Francisco, because I didn't want someone with limited experience working on me. I agree Bosley in very priced and probablly puses more than people want, but just curious about the pictures. Thanks

tam,

Why would Bosley or other unhappy patients post bad pictures? Bosley certainly wouldn't want that kind of attention and most badly butchered patients find other doctors to do repair work or slip slowly out of contact. I'm sure if you do enough research you'll find exactly what you're searching for...bad pictures of unhappy patients with horrible results. It's too bad we don't have access to the files and pictures of those who have sued Bosley for butchering them. Now those would open your eyes.

Guest wanthairs

To you nebies...

If you dont believe what is said about Bosley, then just go there yourself and get your HT's done.

A year later when you look like shit and feel suicidal, just come back to this site and we'll help you spend another 10 grand fixing the problem with a good doc, (who has hundreds of references/ constantly scrutinised by this patient advocate forum/

I had two procedures at Bosley. They involved the old "punch graft" method, and I had micro and mini grafts placed in my hairline. I didn't see any results, one way or the other.

After 11 procedures with different doctors, using the protocol I described, I just gave up. When I found this site, it gave me hope and the name of a well reviewed Dr (Siporin).

I won't know the results of my final surgery for at least 4 more months, but I'm confident I will finally see something besides pluggy looking hairs.

However, you are getting the surgery, and YOU have to choose the surgeon. As numerous posters have said on this site: "choose wisely, young man."

bb

Hello,

I can't speak from personal experience about Bosley, but your question raises a good point about many people's concerns about them, at least as I have read:

1) It's unlikely that anyone here can share personal experience with, or detailed information about, Dr. Haber, because Bosley is a reasonably large chain wherein the individual surgeon and technicians performing your procedure may be complete unknowns...no esrtablished track record, no photos of results, no easy way to talk to patients.

2) There have, unfortunately, been far more negative opinions shared about them than positive...so it seems from my perusal of this and other sites, at least. Which doesn't mean that a good procedure with a Bosley surgeon is impossible, but...why, given that and 1) above, take a chance? Once part of your donor area is used up, it's gone, whether it's put to use skillfully or otherwise. With several surgeons whom people have met, whose results are availabel here, whom Pat has carefully screened and reviewed, and who in many cases have posted here themselves, why not go with them?

Some $.02...best wishes in your search.

Benjamin

Tam,

Most people that have had bad results really don't want to post their photos so that they can hear many of us reiterate what they already know about the shitty looking HT. "Yah, you look bad. Yah, you have a head like a doll. Keep the hat on if I were you." Would you want to post your photo and have all of us critique the poor results if that is the case? We are already critical enough on the refined HT's.

NN

P.S. Ofcourse most of us are sensitive to peoples emotions however at the same time we can't lie and pretend the results are good either.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Dr. Haber is very solid doctor. He is well known for his donor spreader that aids in the removal of a strip during the procedure.

I do however believe that he keeps his sessions to 1500-2000 grafts, preferring to do multiple sessions.

As for Bosley... they have certainly increased their overall approach to hair transplantation now that they are under new ownership.

However, because there is no hard data on each doctor, (good or bad), you run a higher risk of dissatisfaction.

Because we are dealing with a FINITE donor sourse, properly managing your treatment program is best left for those doctors who have a PROVEN record of results.

In addition, cost is a concern and while 4 to 6.00 per graft is not a huge disparity, why pay more for a greater potential of sub-par results?

I would encourage you to develop a plan of attack for now and in the future.

Please listen to the advice of those who have nothing to gain from your choice of clinics.

Take Care,

Jason

PS.. post some pics of yourself so we can have a look!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Maddy,

Welcome to our community. You have already been given some great advice by our fellow veteran forum members.

Dr. Haber does quality ultra refined follicular unit transplantation and is a coalition member. See the highlights to Pat's (our Publisher) visitation to Dr. Haber's clinic here.

Using the "find" feature of our community will also lead you to over 5 years of information about him.

Though I can't be certain, I do believe he is more on the conservative side as to the number of hair grafts he will take in a single hair transplant session. I know this was true a couple years ago however, I can't be sure about the present.

At 27 years of age and only a level 3 on the norwood scale, I recommend considering hair loss medication such as Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxodil) to help combat future hair loss.

Keep in mind that hair transplantation is not a cure for hair loss, therefore preventative methods to maintain existing native/natural hair is important.

In the event of future hair loss, more than one hair transplant surgery may be needed to help you gain the illusion of hair density. Working with your hair restoration doctor to develop realistic hair restoration goals therefore is extremely important.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Speaking from experience, there is not way I would not go to the top 10 or so docs consistently mentioned on here. I think the top 10 results come from 90% of the top same top 7 or so coalition members..

No sense in risking it and 6 bucks a graft is a bit high

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• Moderators

What happened to that $3.80 per graft that Bosely was advertising?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Michaellovesnyc,

All (3) of the websites you listed had to do with the same guy. I'm sure everyone has someone who is unhappy, but I didn't realize that Bosley could sue the website if someone posted pictures of results they weren't happy with. I would imagine someone would want to show what their procedure looked like after a Bosley procedure, and if they got it fixed what it looked like after one of the other doctors fixed it. Again I don't care, because I didn't go to Bosley, but it just seems that as soon as anyone mentions Bosley no matter what the result nobody will say it looks good.

Tam - you should do some deep recon ( AKA go - for it ).and you come back with the intel . I ' ll be second in line to tell you you look great... After your esteemed "Bosley " Dr. "."..

Yipers Michael ...I didn';t know they gave out green meanies for h/t's .

And No ; you cannot just threaten to sue. There could be punitive / oppertunity costs to pony up against a nusance suit.

Moderator : PleaSe Istallate SpelChech

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

• 2 weeks later...

I consulted with Dr Carlson last year and was met by Eric in the beginning of the consult. I felt like I was in a factory. also, if you do a search, you'll find someone that was really messed up by Carlson. Carlson was close to where I live but went to Dr Epstein in NYC. what a great job he did! Please don't settle.

Lisa,

I consulted with Dr Carlson last year and was met by Eric in the beginning of the consult. I felt like I was in a factory. also, if you do a search, you'll find someone that was really messed up by Carlson

The beauty of a open public discussion forum is that it gives patients a voice and means for education.

went to Dr Epstein in NYC. what a great job he did!

I'm glad to hear that our community was able to direct you to an oustanding physician and that you are pleased with your results.

Bill

Hi Everyone,

I thank everyone for their input, it was really helpful. After hearing bad reviews about Bosley, I dropped that option. I consulted Dr. Haber in Cleveland and he is good. He is more practical and gave me a clear picture of what the results look like. He charges by session and he said that I was a candidate for 2500 grafts. If I count per graft fee it comes to $ 3.50/graft, which is much better than what Bosley was offering me ($6).

Only concern I have with Dr. Haber is that he wants to transplant hair only in frontal and mid-scalp, and leave out the Vertex portion. He asked me to consider Propecia to get back the hair in Vertex region. I do know that Propecia is effective mostly in Vertex area, but is it really that good? I mean will it get back my lost hair and what about its side-effects? I need everyone's input regarding Propecia. My Vertex does not look bad, but it is very thin.

Thanks,

Maddy.