Itching/Throbbing?

I am 7 days post op... its kindof hard to sleep, because my donor area has been driving me nuts. It itches like crazy, and it's a little painful to lay on (obviously... I have staples in my head).

Janna suggested using Mederma and Benadryl... anyone else have this type of sensation after a HT? Anyone have anything that works? The only thing that seems to bring relief is a hot shower, and then thats only for a few minutes. I would love any advice... aloe gel just seems to make it worse.

Thanks!

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

I am 7 days post op... its kindof hard to sleep, because my donor area has been driving me nuts. It itches like crazy, and it's a little painful to lay on (obviously... I have staples in my head).

Janna suggested using Mederma and Benadryl... anyone else have this type of sensation after a HT? Anyone have anything that works? The only thing that seems to bring relief is a hot shower, and then thats only for a few minutes. I would love any advice... aloe gel just seems to make it worse.

Thanks!

-Steve

Steve,

The shower idea sounds good, I kept ice on the area for several days after - I think that not only helps the swelling but kept the dicomfort and itching away too.

Can't really comment on the staples, I personally have never had them and have responded well with the disovable stitches. I really would not go with staples if I had the choice.

Lastly, take your mind off it the best you can. If you say it itches, it will itch more!

Heal well,

NoBuzz

EmuSteve,

Yes, this is typical, especially while the staples are still in. One of the BEST days of your life will be the day they are removed.

You know what really helped for me? Nioxin conditioner! It really helped soothe the area, mind you it was temporary. Of course, I showered twice a day so that helped. Combine that with Aloe Vera - and it might help with the overall itching/trobbing.

Bill

Amen to that Bill.

Janna called me this morning to get the number of my pharmacy so she could call me in some more Tramadol. That is good stuff. Not only does it take away the pain, but it knocks you out... which is SUCH a blessing. lol

Anyway, Ill give the cold pack a shot. Like I said, the Aloe Gel seemed to make things worse (cause it dries and then makes it itchier).

Thanks for the advice.

-Steve

Emu I saved my Vicodan pills for when I went to sleep and I iced the hell out of my head while I was awake, and I honestly felt fine most of the time. Ice will be your best friend during the day ...

You only live once...

The first week or two my heading was hurting and throbing so bad, I just curled up into a ball on my couch and tried to think of anything. It got so bad, I thought it was Thursday when it was actually Sunday. It hurt and throbed so bad, I lost track of time concentrating on anything but the pain. Then for some reason I put some ice in an ice bag and applied it to the donar area. I took turns applying it to the various places where I was cut open. For me anyway, my pain went away pretty quickly. I guess my head was swelling from being cut open. Once I iced this area down, I didn't have any more problems. Of course, Advil help as well, but not as much as the icing of the area.

Wow JrBass. Sorry to hear about that.

I had a terrible time last night with the pain, but like I said earlier, Janna called in some Tramadol for me. I just took 2 of those babies, and I am in bliss right now.

I'm not big on taking drugs (seriously... I'd rather deal with a headache than take advil), but I am a big fan of these pills they gave me. I'm gonna ration them as best I can like you suggested Arrie... sleep is very important. =)

What was the pain like after you guys got the staples out? Did it go away?

-Steve

Emu I'll be honest with you i really didn't have that much pain considering I spaced out the pain meds and iced religiously. I will tell you that when I did get the staples out there was about 100 times less pressure on my scalp, but like I said ice on and off for about 10-15 min even when the staples come out, prevention is the best pain therapy trust me....

You only live once...

Guest wanthairs

emu...

sorry to hear about all this itching and pain. I really did not have any of that after my operation, but maybe thats because I did not have staples.

wanthairs,i had no pain either and im beginning to believe this is because i had sutres instead of staples.i asked dr farjo while he was sewing me up, why stitches over stapling?and you know what he said...?i cant remember icon_rolleyes.gifprobably because of sedatives etc.but im sure he said staples are a time saving thing,im sure ill be corrected if im wrong.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

I doubt suture vs staples should have much impact on post op healing. Perhaps it can in certain individuals. When I first performed orthopedic surgery I always closed with sutures; sometimes absorbale and other times non- absorbable. I had several suture reactions to absorbables which prolonged the healing process. I was reluctant to try staples becuase I was concerned about railroad track scarring at the suture line. I gradually started

closing via staples and was pleasantly surprised how well the wound was re-approximated, lack of scarring and No tissue reactions.

The recommendations made by posters are very good and you need to wait it out. For itching, I usually like 25 or 50 mg of Benadryel at night and during the day Benadryl spray. Icing may help if there is residual swelling but usually has limited effect as the post op days progress. I would still elevate at 45 degrees and take it easy. Naprosyn or Ibupofen are anti-inflammatories that need to be taken consistently to obtain the optimal anti- inflammatory effect.

Each of us responds differently and in the end we will be happy with our thousands of new hairs. Patience and hang in there and do what works best for you!!

Hey Emu,

Hang in there buddy.

What the guys are telling you Benedryel,ice ect..will help.

You should be getting those staples out anyday now....My sutures were removed yesterday and my surgery was 2 days prior to yours if I'm not wrong.

My advice...be around people...phone calls...talk long walks.

Sitting around makes anything negative worse.

More_hair

Emu-- the first night after the staples are out is the BEST night of sleep EVER!!!!

Anyway, things are healing, tightening up, etc... and your experience is normal... the ice usually helps out a lot, but the main thing is just rest, rest, rest!!!

I dislike meds as well, but they are there to make things easier on you.

BTW-- don't get very hot water on your head (donor might be ok, but not the grafts) use lukewarm water and do not let the spray directly on your head for a while.

Talk to you soon!

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

These are just a host of feelings you get post op. I found keeping the area's clean assist in the itching especially H & S shampoo. It is just part of the healing / recoop. process

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!