36 yo female 4 weeks post op

fuzzywuzzy,

I'm glad to hear you are going to stick around.

Yes, you did get a little lost in the debate and that was unintentional. It probably would have been better if we moved that part of the thread to a new one to continue debating for those who want to...

Either way...

You are correct. We can't do anything for you specifically as to whether or not this result turns out good or bad...HOWEVER, if it doesn't meet your expectations, we can advise and direct you moving forward.

And of course...we can be here as a band of encouragers to help get you through this...since many of us have been through this several times.

Bill

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi fuzzywuzzy,

I love your name you chose. Now I won't be able to get that nursery rhyme out of my head all day.

I'm also a 36-year-old female (turning 37 this week!) who had a transplant in Feb. of 06 to fill in recessed temples. I had more of a male-pattern loss, with pretty thick hair elsewhere, and had about 1550 FUT's put in to the temples by Dr. Lehr. I was about a NW 2, maybe slightly beyond, but not a NW 3. My goal was to restore a more rounded, "feminine" hairline with good density at the temples.

I can say that there's been improvement, and that I believe all the grafts grew, but I'm still not satisfied. I have very thin coverage where I had nothing (probably something like 25 units per cm2), but it's still not been enough to make my hair as manageable as I would like. I still see that area as "thinning," which to me is still not acceptable.

I've thought long and hard about the possibility of going in for a second transplant with a coalition doc, but have decided against it for now. Partly because I don't know what the future holds for me hair-loss wise (particularly when perimenopause sets in), and I don't have the option of taking Propecia to keep what I currently have. But also because I think that we females tend to be less satisfied in general with what hair transplants can offer, particularly with what society "expects" from us in terms of hair. For women, little else is acceptable other than a full, thick head of hair. Thinning or balding isn't as acceptable for us as it is for men.

I'm not trying to scare you, only trying to save you some disappointment and heartache. I was not happy with my result, and my thinning was not as progressed as yours. I just don't know if you will be happy down the road, even if you go back to a coalition doc and get another 2000 grafts. The result you will be left with will still be, in my opinion, a "thinning" look, and one you will probably want to augment with something like Toppik or Dermatch.

By the way, I would avoid going back to Buchwach. Based on the only results I've seen of his work on women on this site, I am not impressed. Not much density. If you are going to go down this road again, I would firmly recommend going with a coalition doc who uses very small blades and is capable of dense packing.

I'm beginning to consider wigs. I've tried several on, and have found a few lines that look very good (Raquel Welch is one of them, and reasonably priced). Probably won't try it until the weather gets cooler, but I'm seriously considering it.

God bless you, honey. This hair loss stuff really stinks. I sincerely hope you get some good results from your recent work. I know very well the desire to try, above all else, to get "your own hair" back.

So is the general consensus from everyone based on my photos and/or Dr. choice that I am screwed and this was a bad idea? Is what I am experiencing post operatively normal, esp the shockloss? Will the hair I lost from shock come back?

I don't know what to think when I read over these posts. I am concerned; but confused more than anything.

Thanks,

fw

No, I don't think that is the consensus. I think your transplant looks OK. Shock loss is normal. Now you'll just have to be patient.

There are varying opinions about how dense you should have gone, but your case was difficult so it's hard to say.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

fuzzywuzzy,

I agree with Gorpy...

As I said, there is no reason for me to believe you got mini-grafts, since the doctor is on our recommended list known for follicular unit transplantation.

I believe you will get some cosmetic benefit from it, though you won't get a lot of density.

As I said, the good news is, you can always go back for more.

Also, shockloss is normal and happens in many. Shocked hair typically grows back between 3-6 months (give or take).

I hope you'll keep us posted.

Bill

Fuzzy,

I think that you got some great feedback from everyone. Some of it may not be what you want to here, but it is realistic.

I believe that things will look ok for you but just like the men, you have to be realistic with your expectations. It is very likely with the extent of your hairloss that you MIGHT not get the density that you are hoping for but I believe that you will be likely able to get some pretty good coverage.

I agree with many that although you are very comfortable with your current doc, you may want to get consult with others that are more capable of larger sessions. I know is sucks as you are comfortable with him, but there are several very talented and personable coalition physicians.

Bottom line is this though. Focus now on healing. Wait and see how the results turn out for you. The shocked hair will grow back and the HT will start to take form and then you can start to assess things much better. Remember this--things will be better than prior. That is a huge improvement and something you need to start getting excited about.

Get positive, get excited and get pumped about being on the road to looking better. You have made a huge step in your life and should be praised for having the courage to try and change things. I'm happy for you. Heal and grow well.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Fuzzy,

Agree with the above that states you've taken an important step in a personal improvement and it's a commitment to process that takes patience.

The main reason for my response is to recognize something you said in your initial post that hasn't had any further comment, but really resonated with me .... you said:

"I have to say all of this has been a little bit more than I realized, but I am trying to remain hopeful."

I couldn't agree more ... I wasn't prepared for what came AFTER my first procedure. I just saw one of those Bosley commercials that states "Simple Outpatient Procedure" and I believe that they and some other clinics market a hair restoration/transplant as such and many believe that going in.

Once you are through with the initial procedure then you have a while to cope with the after effects and then have to deal in your everyday life. You WILL look different for a while afterward ... it's an adjustment. These are all issues that I really wasn't prepared for the first time, but was certainly more prepared for my second procedure. I lived in a baseball cap EVERY day for the 3-4 months following both of my procedures ... not everyone has that option.

I hear you and I completely relate ... keep your attitude about remaining positive and stay focused that you are now "into the process".

There is a lot of positive support offered here, from others who have experienced exactly what you have/are going through and all with good intentions.

Fuzzy, I don't believe anyone thinks you are screwed. We just want to see you get the best result down the road. Sometimes we tend to emphasize realism over compassion on these boards, and a lot of tone gets lost via a written message.

I'm very sympathetic to what you're going through. I had quite a bit of shock loss of the surrounding native hair following my transplant. I remember the day that all my scabs were gone and I could finally gently run a comb through the rest of my hair, something I hadn't done in a few weeks. Good God! It was like that for almost a week. And I did definitely look worse for a good 2-3 months than I did before the transplant...but I was fortunate enough to have enough hair left to hide it well. But then at about 3 months, the shockloss started to come back, and another month or so later I started to see growth of the transplants. Still, it was a good year before I could really begin to judge my results. So we are just saying to be patient.

Your shocked hair should come back, as long as it was healthy hair to begin with and not miniaturized. In the meantime, there are options to cover up. Toppik is great, and not expensive. I can't personally recommend anything else, but I've heard good things about Dermatch and Couvre. Tarasilk had a good idea with the headbands, too. Once your transplanted area is well-healed (at least 3 weeks) you could even try a partial hairpiece or even a full wig. If you decide to go that road, try to find a good wig shop in your area, as you would want to try lots of things on.

I really do hope the best for you.

Thanks again guys...

Wrangler...that has been the hardest thing for me. I have felt like I wasn't fully prepared for the long term. I was told I would be able to style it differently and I would be fine, but I will be in this ball cap for a while or have to use some sort of cosmetic solution to be in public. I didn't even know about Toppik or any of the others. I have ordered Toppik and Dermatch to see what works best.

I was also told I could get back to work the next day which, I'm sorry, was ridiculous. There was no way I should have even tried to do that. I needed pain meds for the donor site and I was out of it and sleepy. Anyway, thanks for acknowledging my post...it means a lot.

I really do appreciate everyone's realism. I tend to be the kind of person who is always waiting for the other shoe to drop, so I am almost comforted by the realistic approach. icon_wink.gif If I had to do this over again...at this point, I would not. Time will tell if I will change my mind. I don't feel like I was prepared well for the reality post-transplant. I didn't even know all of the questions to ask, though I did read here and elsewhere prior to surgery.

I am prepared for the possibility that at least some of my shockloss hair may be gone for good. I imagine some of it at least, was miniaturized or on its way out although I hadn't seen any visible change in my hair density for several years..my hairdresser said she believed I had the same density for the last 4 years that I've seen her, but I am not sure. I am just trying to be realistic about things.

I am taking it all a day at a time. Trying to reamin strong and positive. I don't think I could have done it without you guys that last two weeks. I was in tears a lot and felt very alone and just plain ugly. I have learned more posting than I could have just lurking. (for you lurkers out there) I wish I would have sought your wisdom before scheduling my surgery, but I am grateful you are here for me now. I will keep you all up to date with my progress...it's the least I can do.

Peace,

fuzzy

Fuzzy-

Could you keep a journal? Write down everything you are going through every day. Take pictures along the way.

One thing I noticed is that you are blaming yourself for what is going on for not doing a risk/benefit evaluation or knowing the post ht ramifications. That was not your job. It was the doctors job. This is NOT your fault.

I personally would like to take him out to the 19th hole and show him how a 9 iron should be used.

I am in your corner . As others have said this is not the worst. I have seen it on myself but with the help of a great Doctor (that happens to be in the coalition). I was suitably repaired and even surprised at what he was able to do.

Keep that chin up I am impressed by your spirit.

Click on my link ..It will make you feel better. You are not alone.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

FuzzyWuzzy,

We are in your corner, and we completely understand EVERYTHING you are going through.

For what it's worth, my first HT was sort of a crap shoot to some degree. I did see Dr. Katz was (and still is) recommended on this community, however, for the extent of my hairloss, 1600 grafts was hardly enough to give me what I needed. Now, I DID know that going in, knowing more surgery would be in my future...but I suppose my expectations were a little higher. But that was all part of my learning process.

The truth is, there wasn't a lot of information to be found on him...but I went with him just like you did because of this site.

The GOOD news is, I believe all 1600 grafts grew and that Dr. Katz did a great job. Of course, it was only 1600 grafts, and I was already a NW5A (would be a NW6 now if it wasn't for my HTs). Idealistically, if I researched more, I would have gone to a different doctor NOT because Dr. Katz didn't do a good job, but so I could have gotten 2 larger sessions instead of 3 total sessions.

Dr. Hasson even told me when he saw me, that if I came to him with a virgin scalp, he would have probably been able to get 6000 grafts easy. Knowing him...I believe him!

All that to say...my first HT DID improve my appearance a little bit, but left me wanting. I believe you will be walking in my shoes regarding your first HT.

But that's not a bad place to be. But you will have to go through this at least one more time if you are going to establish some density in your thinning areas.

I try hard to be both realistic and empathetic...because I truly do care. It's the ONLY reason why I'm even still here, especially since I'm close to the end of the road regarding my hair transplantation journey.

I still am most likely going to go for a 4th surgery in a few years...but I am in a good place now and am taking a break from any surgery.

Bill

Aquarius,

I am keeping a journal and taking photos weekly. I definitely plan to continue that process for my own sanity, as well as for others who might benefit. Thanks again for keeping an eye on my case. I appreciate knowing you are there.

Bill-I see what you are saying...about the amount of grafts you could have had your first time out with a more skilled/experienced physician that would have saved you from more surgery...at least for a while, anyway.

You know, day by day I realize how this whole experience, if nothing else, has served to make me grateful for the hair I do have. I know that sounds weird, but I spent so much time prior to surgery stressing about how thin my hair was and feeling self-conscious. I took steps to make a change to move past that and that was hard. I had to believe I deserved it; that I was worth the investment. I think just taking that step was good for me regardless of where I go from here.

I appreciate you all so much.

fuzzy

I will always be here for you . You can PM me at anytime.

No bonus, but you are one of us now. I WILL stand in front of the arrows lady.

You are stronger than most.

P.S. Pat I would like to see BUCHWACH CANNED.

This site has ovewhelmed the industry and this archaic sob is dead weight.

He should have been developing his techniche instead of his back swing. 17 years in???????

You are running the # one site. I'll let you decide.

I wan't some eihre.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

• Administrators

This topic just came to my attention today (July 5th). I think debate, even when sometimes pointed, is healthy.

Me, this community and the physicians who are recommended must all be accountable to patients and the transparent process of open discussion and critique.

While I think it is important to not make assumptions that are not verified, I do agree that based on the photos presented in this topic, Dr. Bushwach's procedure is not as refined and minimally invasive as the hair transplantation being done and required of Coalition physicians.

Frankly, the incisions shown look big and too far spaced out to be on pare with the very best and minimally invasive work being done by top clinics today. Even 4 weeks post op the incisions/scars are visible.

If Dr. Bushwach had evolved his technique over the past few years like the top Coalition clinics he would have been able to provide this patient with more grafts/hairs closer together in smaller more refined incisions that healed quicker with virtually no visible scarring at 4 weeks post op.

Ten years ago this work was pare for the course. But today standard big blade follicular unit hair transplantation is not optimal when compared to the ultra refined follicular unit grafting done by a small minority of truly leading edge clinics.

Dr. Bushwach has been recommended on the hair transplant network for many years. But it appears that his work has not evolved enough to qualify him for membership in the Coalition.

Is Dr. Bushwach the best hair transplant physician in Kansas? Probaly he is. Nice guy - indeed he is. But should patients accept standard follicular unit grafting just to stay within Kansas?

I intend to contact Dr. Bushwach and ask him for more examples of his immediate post op results. If I find it as invasive and sparse as the results shown by this patient I think it will be time to discontinue his recommendation.

The bar for follicular unit grafting has moved considerably higher in the past few years. Not everyone has risen to the challenge. No physician is vested on this site and many have been removed over the past two years in particular. Everyone including me must evolve and move with the times or be left behind.

I encourage input from all members of this community. Dr. Bushwach's profile and patient photos can be viewed at http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/Doctors.asp?DrID=58

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

I spoke with Dr. Bushwach yesterday and asked that he provide more photos of his immediate post op results. Unfortunately he was unwilling to do so.

Physicians who are recommended on this site need to be both accountable and responsive to the requirements and standards of this patien based community. Those who are unable or unwilling to demonstrate that they meet the high standards set for recommendation will not be recommended.

Dr. Bushwach and I agreed that it was time to discontinue his involvement with this community. Dr. Bushwach's information and recommendation have been removed from the Hair Transplant Network as of today.

Onward and Upwards, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pat,

That's sad to hear.

Did he give any reason as to why he wasn't willing to provide more photos of his immediately post op results?

I have found in my time being here, that physicians who are unwilling to share their results are the ones that are trying to hide something.

Quality surgeons should not be afraid to show their work to the world and be open to public scrutiny.

We will continue, however, to pull hard and support Fuzzywuzzy and hope for the best.

Bill

I am sure how to feel about all of this. My intention for sharing my photos and story was to find support for my recovery and for the benefit of anyone else like me. It has obviously ended up being much more than that.

I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I still feel badly. I don't want to be the poster child for outdated surgical techniques. I had no idea that what I had received was less than the best care. I was surprised by the reaction to my photos (and almost took them down) but I feel responsible to leave them now.

Anyway, these are just some rambling thoughts from me today. I am a little taken aback by it all at this point. I wish I could turn back the clock.

peace,

fuzzy

Pat and Aquarius,

I want to thank you for your efforts. I know that this thread got off to a shakey start because Aquarius made the call of shotty work. It is always a tough call to make given an individuals concerns and feelings with a recent HT. Good eye for some work that just doesn't meet the standards that we all want.

Fuzzy--wow. What can I say. This is certainly an emotional roller coaster for you as you need lots of support and this thread has gone in several different directions. Don't take these actions as a foretelling that you're results won't be good. They will probably turn out great but you likely didn't have to have as much shock as you experienced. Please don't consider yourself a poster child for outdated techniques.--You will look fine. The doc just could have made things easier and quicker to reaching your ultimate goals. Chin up. icon_smile.gif Moreover, by your posting you have done a great service for others. This is an informative site. You have helped to keep the bar high and keep docs accountable to perform refined, quality transplants. Many have learned a lot from this and other docs will hopefully be pulling up their socs to either reach or maintain the desired outcomes that we as patients demand. Kudos to you.

Keep healing well and soon you will have a new you. Take care.

NN

P.S. Fuzzy--Check out this thread where many of us were not overly excited about the work of the doc, but as it turned out, the results are starting to look great. http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/showthread.php?t=154876

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Fuzzy,

Your contribution to the network will help many others who have yet to make a commitment to HT. We must hold the doctors accountable for better results in the future. I am sure you will turn out fine and thanks for posting your experience.

Pat - Thank you for all you do for this community - all docs are now on notice.

Aquarius (and B-Spot) - Your tough love is needed, dig a trench and keep up the battle.

Nervous - well thought out response as always.

Dr. Bushwach - get yourself up to speed, patients deserve more.

NoBuzz

Aquarius...

I know I've said thanks before, but I just wanted to say again publicly how much I appreciate your posts on my thread. I know your way of communicating isn't always well received, icon_wink.gif but your directness with me started an important debate and will benefit others for a long time.

I know I could have sent you a PM, but I wanted others in this forum to know I admire your willingness to take some heat when you believe strongly in your point of view. I respect that very much.

Reading your posts on my thread has been a comfort...and reading the best of your posts on other threads has often given me the laugh out loud I needed. icon_biggrin.gif(Seriously, someone should start a "best of Aquarius" thread!)

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know again that I am glad you were here. Please stay...and send some good hair vibes my way.

Fuzzy

fuzzywuzzy,

We are certainly here to support you, and I hope you do feel encouraged by our posts.

At the same time, our community strives to hold physicians accountable to a level of excellence that is beyond the mediocre.

You are certainly not a poster child...but it did certainly bring some alarm as the surgical incisions appear large and are spaced far apart.

This helped us to see that Dr. Bushwach needs to come up to speed.

If anything, in addition to being here for support, you did the board a great service.

This does NOT mean that you won't have decent results...so please don't take it that way.

But as I said, you will not achieve the density you'd like to have in a single session. But give it a good year before you consider a second HT. From there, I'd start researching coalition doctors that have been known to do OUTSTANDING work. Particularly look for female patients from these doctors.

Thanks for keeping your pictures posted and sharing your journey with us.

Bill