36 yo female 4 weeks post op

Hi there,

I am a 36 year old female with thinning in my front crown area that has been there since my early twenties. There is no history of hair loss in the females in my family pre-menopause...I guess I'm just lucky. icon_smile.gif

After lots of tests, biopsies and tears I decided to have a transplant. I saw Dr. Kenneth Buchwach in Kansas City.

I had around 900 grafts placed the first week of June. I have to say all of this has been a little bit more than I realized, but I am trying to remain hopeful. All of your stories help so much.

I have had more shock loss than I would like and I am sick to death of wearing hats. I am supposed to go in for another session in 6 months, but I don't know if I can do this again. Hopefully by then I will be a believer.

I scratched my head in my sleep the first week post surgery and had some bleeding that has made me worry about losing some grafts, but I am trying not to obsess about what I can't control. Many of the grafts are growing...

I still have redness and I look worse than I did when I went in, but like I said...I am trying to remain hopeful. I had two black eyes postop which made it difficult to hide that I had done some kind of surgery so a lot of people I work with know.

I am posting a pic here of me one day post op for you guys...thanks for listening. And for openly sharing your stories. It has helped me a great deal.

Peace,

fuzzy

100_32091.jpg.81b479d9cd897d0152a42c087c887389.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I am a 36 year old female with thinning in my front crown area that has been there since my early twenties. There is no history of hair loss in the females in my family pre-menopause...I guess I'm just lucky. icon_smile.gif

After lots of tests, biopsies and tears I decided to have a transplant. I saw Dr. Kenneth Buchwach in Kansas City.

I had around 900 grafts placed the first week of June. I have to say all of this has been a little bit more than I realized, but I am trying to remain hopeful. All of your stories help so much.

I have had more shock loss than I would like and I am sick to death of wearing hats. I am supposed to go in for another session in 6 months, but I don't know if I can do this again. Hopefully by then I will be a believer.

I scratched my head in my sleep the first week post surgery and had some bleeding that has made me worry about losing some grafts, but I am trying not to obsess about what I can't control. Many of the grafts are growing...

I still have redness and I look worse than I did when I went in, but like I said...I am trying to remain hopeful. I had two black eyes postop which made it difficult to hide that I had done some kind of surgery so a lot of people I work with know.

I am posting a pic here of me one day post op for you guys...thanks for listening. And for openly sharing your stories. It has helped me a great deal.

Peace,

fuzzy

Hang tough;

You got mini- mics. Do not go back to Bushwack.

A real doctor would probably want you to wait at least eight months before repairing.

In the mean time read the posts and really get a feel for what is appropriate.

Sounds like this guy rushed you into the chair and wants to do it again (without doing time).

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Originally posted by fuzzywuzzy:

what are mini mics? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

No it,s not. mini and micrografts . Usually disected by the naked eye or loops (glasses)as opposed to a microscope. Larger blades and greater trauma such as lingering redness, black eyes, swelling and shockloss.

Aquarius,

You seriously have to be careful. You often give judgemental and FALSE information. Dr. Buchwacher offers FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and does not use mini-micro grafts. Where are you getting this information?

fuzzywuzzy,

Welcome to our community.

The link you provided is a link to this website and provides accurate information about the doctor. He is on this site's recommended list and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I'll be interested to follow your case, firstly, because I hope you get the results you want, and secondly, I have not really seen any work done by Dr. Buchwach.

I will say this, however...900 grafts in such a large area is NOT a lot of grafts and will not give you a lot of density. Did you and the doctor talk about your long term goals? Did he recommend future surgeries? What was his reasoning in doing such a small session? Was he concerned about shockloss and wanted to come back later to do another session?

IMO, due to the amount of loss, a larger session could have been more beneficial to you. Looking at your one posted photo, I'd say 2000 grafts would give you a much greater level of density that you would be more satisfied with.

That being said, once your results grow in, if you do decide you want more density added, I'd recommend considering physicians from our coalition regardless of location. Here is the link: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

Regarding scratching your head during the first week...admittedly, this is not a good thing, but if there was minimal bleeding, at worst, you probably only dislodged ONE graft, or maybe only a scab. But no use in obsessing about it now...all you can do is wait.

I do hope you'll update us with your progress. Heal and grow well. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll (and others) will be happy to help you.

Bill

Bill - That's your opinion .I won't go into details here for fuzzys' sake . If you want to P.M. me . I will reply. Look at the pic long and hard before you do though.

Oh and it's Buchwach not Buchwacher . I guess a Freudian slip?

Just because he is on the recommended list ( I didn't know he was)does'nt mean you have to throw down the glove.

A microscope in the office means nothing and your job is not damage control.

At first glance it looked like mini-micro at second glance it still does.

Bill,

Thank you for your encouraging words.

The reasoning behind the smaller sessions was to reduce shockloss...he said I could come back as soon as four months to have the second session. The goal is 2000 to 2500 grafts. I didn't push for a larger session bc I had heard females have a hard time with shockloss...particularly when grafts are placed where there is already hair. I had noticeable thinning, but it looks a lot worse in the pic I posted on day post transplant than it did on a daily basis prior to transplant.

Honestly I am not sure if I will go in for another session or not. I taking this a day at a time. Dr. B said up front that he is a little more conservative with female patients and would do my case in two sessions. I just want to have more hair up front and keep the hair I have if that is possible. I am a little confused about how this will all work out.

I read as much as I could prior to transplant and waited a year prior to the surgery to make sure I wasn't losing more hair...but there is not as much information on females out there which is why I posted here. I want to help others if I have to go through this crap alone.

Anyway, I am going to take a new pic soon and post it. I have a lot of shockloss in the graft site...the donor site is perfectly healed. There are small sprouts everywhere and there are also a few smooth places that weren't there before surgery.

I appreciate your support so much. Just having this place to share and talk with others makes me feel better, even if it isn't always what I want to hear. I am in it now...

Peace,

fuzzywuzzy

Aquarius,

I asked you a simple question and you failed to answer it.

Where are you getting your information?

What I am stating is not just my opinion. The link provided states he does follicular unit transplantation and is on the recommended list because of it. We do not recommend doctors here that do mini-grafts.

The link is here: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/Doctors.asp?DrID=58

Where are you reading that he does mini-micro grafts?

Whereas the use of larger instruments (blades, needles, etc) is a bit outdated and MAY mean additional shockloss, this does NOT mean that the inserted grafts are mini/micro grafts.

Mini/micro grafts are larger grafts that CONTAIN follicular units typically containing 4-8 hairs. It is outdated and I don't believe they should be used PERIOD.

The picture posted is a bit blurry. From what I can tell larger incisions were made.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to ASK the questions instead of making assumptions. Or state you are sharing your opinion.

I DO agree that the incisions appear a bit large, but the picture is blurry...perhaps we are seeing scabs that have bled over a little bit rather than the incision size.

Bill

Fuzzywuzzy,

I am sorry that you are caught in the crossfire a bit on this thread...I apologize.

But it upsets me when people make unfounded claims.

How far along are you after surgery?

You are welcome for the encouragement.

I think taking things one step at a time is not a terrible strategy, but at the same time, I think it's good that you have a goal in mind as to where you'd like to be.

2000-2500 grafts would definitely make a decent cosmetic improvement, whereas 900 alone probably won't. You will notice a small difference, but it will be minimal at best.

The picture you posted IS a bit blurry, but it DOES appear that some of the incisions are a big larger, unless I am seeing scabs. Any chance of you posting a more clear picture of your post op condition?

All you can do is wait it out at this point and see how your results turn out.

I WILL ask, however...which may also put things more in perspective, as to whether or not the doctor gave you a hair count breakdown with your grafts as well.

How many 1, 2, 3, and 4 hair grafts did he use? Were any 2 hair grafts or above used in the hairline? Did he use any larger grafts (4-8 hairs) which would be a mini-graft?

Keep us posted.

Bill

Hi Bill. I am 4 weeks post op.

The other pic wasn't very good...sorry about that. It was one day post op and I hadn't gotten a lot of scabbing and blood off.

Here is a pic I took today...shock loss and all. Maybe this will give you a better idea of where I am. Sorry my camera isn't so great.

Thanks again for reading and for the support.

Peace,

fuzzy

4weeks1.jpg.192a6b1eb7745f1678f9b1042a7931b3.jpg

Bill and others...

I forgot to mention...I did not get hair counts from Dr. B...I know that's what really counts. I will ask him when I go in next.

Here is a shot, albeit not a great one, of my hairline pre-op. If I can find a better one I will. I know they took pics at the office on surgery day. I will try to get those.

fuzzy

hairlinepreop.jpg.59769a3f87afcbeaf7fb8981c8c7b4c0.jpg

Bill ;

Please re-read the entire thread start to finish.

My observation was that it looked like mini-micro work. Unless you are blind or deluded the proof is in the pics.

I don't give a hang if a microscope was used. A microscope doesn't trim the grafts, create a master plan, educate the patient place the grafts or make incisions nor does it make ethical decision based on the patients best intrest. Risk/benifit.

Also , everybody claims to be doing FUT but playing the term fast and loose. Perhaps you can use him next time bro . $4,000 X 1,000 grafts and a buck a piece after that. It all the same right ?Because someone says so? Or you read it somewhere? Use your eyes. (re: your callout)

I think your putting your FUT in your moulth.

I know your in hairtransplant heaven.

But please don't become a spokesman for the industry . : )

And yes I am judgemental especially when I see poor judgement with a life altering SURGERY.

I don't make false statements or unsubstantiated claims. Although ALOT of doctors do.

I don't want to bang heads with a nice guy but you have made derogetory comments twords me without cause.

I am currently biting my lip.

Hi Fuzzy,

The 4 to 8 week period is the worst. After about 3 months you'll start to see things grow.

Not putting a large number of grafts in an area where you have existing hair is a legitimate strategy. It can and does lessen shock loss.

As you can see, there are some varying opinions on this board, but that's what makes it interesting. I hope you did get many 3 and 4 hair grafts like I did in my last procedure. They will give you better coverage when they grow out. They do require slightly larger incisions, which might be what Aquarius is seeing.

Naturally occurring Follicular Units (FU's) typically have from 1 to 4 hairs and should be implanted intact. So hopefully you had some 4 hair grafts. Being female, I'm not sure if the Follicular Units tend to be different than those of males. Sometimes doctors will combine FU's to achieve better density. For example, they can combine two 2 hair FU's to form a 4 hair FU.

I think as your hair starts to grow out in a couple of months, you'll feel much better.

Bill, please don't categorize a 4 hair FU as a mini-graft.

Gorp

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Thanks, Gorpy. I appreciate your input and support. I never expected my post to be so controversial, but I think discussion is healthy. What's done is done...maybe I didn't go into this rightly judging the risk/benefit, but I am here now.

We shall see.

Peace,

fuzzywuzzy

Gorpy,

It really depends honestly.

A naturally occuring 4 hair FU is NOT a mini-graft, whereas 2 hair FUs cut to size of a 4 hair graft is a mini-graft.

More information...

From: http://www.hair-transplants.org/content/Article_Follicular_Unit_Grafts%20.htm

SMALL MINIGRAFTS "CUT TO SIZE"

Small minigrafts " cut to size contain an average of 3-5 hairs per graft. The size of the graft is determined by the donor density. Grafts can be cut thin and flat for slits, or more rectangular for punches. It is my opinion that the most consistently natural 3-5 hair minigrafts are thin flat grafts for slits because the hairs line up linearly and there is less chance of compression. If done properly a thin, flat minigraft placed in appropriate sized slits can look like 2 follicular units lined up behind each. These minigrafts, when compared to "follicular units", are less susceptible to trauma and poor growth. Also, because not each follicular grouping is being separated, there are fewer cuts with the dissecting knife and the risk of transection and waste is inherently less. Finally, since the same numbers of hair can be transplanted with fewer grafts, this technique is less labor intensive, time consuming and costly.

The disadvantage of 3-5 hair minigrafts "cut to size" is the increased potential to be less natural and look "grafty". These grafts have an increased risk for compression, especially if the grafts are not cut thin and flat or are placed in too small a slit. This problem is more likely to occur in patients with high density where grafts cut to size may unintentionally contain more than 5 hairs. Because these grafts contain a small piece of epithelium, there is an increased chance of pitting. If this small piece of epithelium is pushed below the layer of stratum cornea and stays there, the body will try to incorporate or encyst it. The former will result in pitting; the latter in a permanent annoying bump possibly associated with inflammation and foreign body reaction. The most effective way to avoid pitting is to make the incision only as deep as necessary to incorporate the graft follicle up to, but not including the epithelium.

Bill

Aquarius,

You are making observations based on a blurry photo.

How exactly can you conclude that mini-grafts were used based on that?

I think you can state "it LOOKS like it MIGHT be mini-grafts, but I can't be sure".

That would be ok.

But your post to a newbie was very "matter of fact", and you have no validity of your statement.

The web link that Fuzzywuzzy posted and I posted claims the opposite. That site is NOT coming from the doctor's website...it's coming from Pat. What say you to that? Is Pat lying?

I have admitted I have never seen work done by this physician before...so I am not an advocate for him...not sure where THAT is coming from.

But I do believe in this site and what it stands for. Pat would not be recommending physicians that do mini-graft work.

Cheers,

Bill

No , I don't think Pat is a liar.Far from it.

I think he went on face value.

There are alot of concerns here last but not least is gender.

Take a look at the 2 following pictures fuzzy posted.

I hope Pat has time to look at them also and that as a result Buchwach gets more time to play golf instead of making golfballs.

I also asked you to take this off forum ... but you need to dance don't ya.

Bill,

This is an interesting technical discussion. Fuzzy sorry for using your thread for this.

4 hair FU's do occur in nature. I think that is clear. Here is an article by Dr. Bernstein on that.

Now, looking at the Shapiro article you provided, there is are some subtle technicalities that define a mini-graft (cut to size). A mini-graft cut to size consists of a cut of two close together FU's that are cut out of the strip so that they remain together and are implanted as such. On the other hand putting two natural occurring two hair FU's together in the same insertion slit would not be classified as a mini-graft. I don't think.

In any case, it's all semantics and sometimes high hair count grafts are necessary to achieve desired results - depending on the patients characteristics of course.

I'm glad I got some high hair count grafts. It works for me and I think many patients could use some to give a little needed density to that central core. That's why the Shapiro clinic uses DFU's where appropriate now and probably use the combined FU's technique that I received.

Good discussion. It's just that some times the way you have presented it, it seems like a bad thing to have a 4 hair FU. Especially to a newbie. icon_smile.gif

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Fuzzy -

One thing though. Do not go back to the same guy.(I guess I'll catch some flak for that)even if it's free.

Chill and stay tough for a few months.

If you are going to finish this I would wait until the eight month mark and go to one of 5 or so doctors you should even let close to your head.

Bill is very supportive and I might suggest that you start another thread, With a no ego caveat. As this one took a left turn .

This is going to be an emotional rollercoaster . I know I was on it. You are being very strong. This is unfair to you.

You need our support not our B.S.

Aquarius

Fuzzywuzzy--

I just saw your posts...and I really hope you will reconsider, and perhaps stay a bit longer.

I'm also female, but a few years older than you are (42). I also recently had a HT...and I'm now almost 10 weeks post op. I had just over 2300 grafts, and have also experienced shockloss, with some areas worse than others. Believe me, I know it's no picnic.

I've found that the extra wide headbands that are so popular now are a WONDERFUL thing, and fabulous at hiding the front and mid-scalp areas. The ones that are headbands with a scarf attached at both ends are especially great because they are not as snug fitting as a traditional headband. I just tie the two ends together in a double knot at the back of my neck and kind of flip the ends so that they hang down over one shoulder. I've been wearing them a lot lately, and have even received compliments on how cute my hair looks (go figure!!!!).

Also, if you haven't tried Toppik, you really ought to give it a try. It is great at giving the illusion of added density, and though I've been using it sporadically for years, I'm finding that it even more valuable to have it on hand now.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you want to chat...I totally understand what you are going through.

TaraSilk

Good discussion. It's just that some times the way you have presented it, it seems like a bad thing to have a 4 hair FU. Especially to a newbie.

Gorpy,

I believe you and I are on the same page. I NEVER intended to imply that a naturally occuring 4 haired FU is a mini-graft. In fact, I agree that naturally occuring 4 haired FUs can signifincantly help with density!

Bill

Fuzzywuzzy,

I apologize that your thread has been used this way. I do encourage you to stick around because this site CAN and has always been here to also encourage and support those who have been through and/or are going through surgery.

I hope you'll reconsider.

Bill

Thanks everybody. I didn't mean to seem ungrateful for the information...I will stick around.

Tarasilk...thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.

Aquarius...I know you are just looking out for me. I can only guess you feel so passionately on others' behalf because you wish someone had done the same for you. Having someone like you in my corner can only be good for me...to help me think critically and question. I probably didn't do enough of that. I am feeling scared right now, but I am strong and I will be okay. Time will answer a lot of questions I have right now.

Bill...I like your level headed, fact based approach. Thanks for following my story...

Again, I really do appreciate what this site has to offer, I just felt like I got a little lost in the debate. I can't imagine going through this last week without a place like this to read others' stories and feel less alone. None of you can do much about whether I end up with a good result or not and I get that.

fuzzy