EmuSteve's HT with Dr Ron Shapiro - 2700 grafts

EmuSteve

I already bought some emu oil, as well as aloe gel and witch hazel. Can you give me detailed instructions on what worked best for you PGP? I'd appreciate it. =)

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, about the scar...

As many of you know, the scar was a huge deal for me going into this. 2 nights before the surgery, Dr. Shapiro called me and chatted with me a bit. He assured me that most patients with virgin scalps end up with a scar around 1mm, sometimes 2mm in about 20% of cases.. he said it really just varied based on the patients physiology.

After we spoke, he was kind enough to send me the following email:

Steve

A pleasure talking to you last night

I hope the conversation helped to ease your fears.

I tried to present what happens in general as well as worse case scenarios

In summary:

In generally most patients get a scar that ranges from hard to find due to hairs going through it to 1-2 mm that is only visible when looking close while combing through hair and looking for it. This type of scar is always hidden if the hair is about 1 cm in length sometime shorter. The only exception is with people that have such fine hair that they can see the scalp even at one cm. We can draw a 2-3 mm red line on your scalp when you come in and cut them hair to a bout 1 cm to see if the red line (which is much more visible than a real scar ) is hidden. If it is than you should be safe. It there is a question of it being see through on the sides at 1 cm we should keep the scar out of that area at least for this session or make the incision less wide in this area.

We will test this all the night before and we would like to start earlier on the Friday...at 7am so we have plenty of time.

If you have any last minute hesitation and want to put things off I have no problem with this as I want you to be totally comfortable

Call with any other questions

Ron

During surgery, he commented about how loose my scalp was (after which Janna said "Yeah, I heard you were loose Steve!" ha ha). He told me directly after surgery that he felt the closure went as well as it could possibly have gone, and he was expecting good things from the scar.

I asked him what variation of the tricho closure he used (marzola, frechet, ledge), and he said he used a "Modified version of Rose's ledge closure"... meaning that he used a smaller blade to score the lower edge and bring the wound together.

Hope I was through in explaining all this. If anyone has any questions, fire away.

-Steve

Well what I did was use every drop of the graftcyte every hour.

I remember spaying that stuff on my head in a truckstop restroom, driving ,outside ,and at the mall of America.

Then I believe day 6 I appiled just a very small amount to a very small area . Woke up the next day with no irriation so then right after a shower I applied it everywhere. I used it everyday until all the scabs were gone and the skin wasnt pink anymore about 2 1/2 weeks.

My last procedure I used aloe and my scalp was pink for 4 months. I swear by the stuff but like I said before a few people get irritation from it .If you have a sensitive scalp I would be a little cautious. I still use it on and off 8 months postop because after washing it out in the morning my hair is super soft and manageable.

By the way the small blades had alot more to do with the scalp retuning back to normal color ,but I really feel the emu helped expedite that even more.

EmuSteve,

First of all - congratulations on the surgery! The recipient site looks extremely clean and should heal up very quickly. Then, you will have a few months of 'waiting' before all of the sprouting. I think the hairline will look very natural and I'm especially intrigued to see how the temples come in as I am contemplating some temple work myself.

Here's to great growth!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Emu,

Looks great bud I hope all goes well with you. You will be very happy in the months to come.

Guys,

If I believe that was the drawing the doc put on EMU's head with his marker. I had the same thing done to my head, I believe EMU just kept it till he got back to the hotel the night before surgery so he can take a pic for us and himself, thanks bud. EMU pm me anytime if you have questions i can help with considering we had pretty much the same work by the same doc, take care...

Sorry just read the post that EMU explained it...

You only live once...

Well, its coming up on day 5. So far, I haven't had any swelling at all?

Dr. Shapiro told me flat out that he didn't think there was much of a chance that I'd avoid swelling, since we put all of the 2700 grafts in the front 1/3rd. I was fully expecting to blow up like a pufferfish... but I look totally normal. The donor area hasn't scabbed up really, since I've been keeping it clean, and the recipient area doesn't have any scabs either (maybe due to my unrelenting use of graftcyte?).

On top of that, I've had no pain in the donor area... I sleep on the back of my head and I've had no uncomfortableness... I put a towel over my pillow because I heard it was normal for a little bleeding to occur, but the towel is clean.

I know its not often that someone posts to say "uh, is everything supposed to be going this great?", but I am a little concerned about not being concerned.

Anyone else have this happen? This is a good sign, right?

I think I'm gonna go back to work tomorrow. I've been kinda bored lately.

-Steve

Emu,

And I'm a little concerned about you being concerned about not being concerned icon_wink.gif

It sounds like you are in great shape my friend. I knew you would be but it's good to hear!

Instead of being so concerned about being concerned, relax and take it easy! Picture all the new hair you will have in the next 8-12 months or so icon_smile.gif

Bill

Steve,

You and I had similar procedures. I had approx. 150 more grafts than you did and all of mine were in the frontal 1/3 also. Just like yourself, I had no swelling, no bleeding, and no pinkness after 4 days. I was able to even keep a good amount of grafts. It just reinforces that they do very refined, quality work at SMG.

Glad to hear all is well.

Take care,

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Keep the donor area clean and you will be fine EMU..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey all. I just got back from my second trip to Minneapolis and wanted to post an update as well as some new pictures. =)

First, while I don't want to go into details (I promised I wouldn't), I do want to publicly thank SMG and specifically Janna for going way way way (way WAY) way out of their way to make me feel welcome again.

Dr. Shapiro said that my scar so far was less than 1 mm. He said it looked as good as was possible at this point in the game, and just told me not to do anything stupid (enter a toe-staring competition, bench press a Buick, etc). I was pretty excited. =)

Anyway, not only do I have those awful staples out of my head, but I also had a great time up there. Everyone was great.

If you get a chance, feel free to check out my new pics and drop a comment or 2. I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

-Steve

Nice choice on the ride; S2000 has a sweet shiftbox (if you got stick, that is). Either way, nice car and nice HT, obv, look to be healing extremely well.

EDIT -- I almost bought an S2000 a couple years ago, but opted for Mazda RX-8 at the last min.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Looking Great Steve!!!!

Good choice on the ride as well!

Anyway, your doing everything the right way and taking care of yourself, continue on that course for a while and your going to be fine.

Anyone else notice how the recipient area is no longer red after only 12 days?

Your going to look great Steve-- your transplant is going to blend perfectly with your native hair.

GUYS--- anyone want to take bets on when Steve starts planning #2? LOL

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hey, thanks man. =)

I know that the next few months are gonna suck, but I am definitely optimistic.

I know this will ring true with a lot of people on here, but after years of worrying, hiding, concealing, feeling insecure, and feeling more insecure... it's kind of surreal to think that, hey, I might be able to go to a new girlfriends parents for dinner and not feel insecure. Or ride in my new car with the top down and no hat on, and not feel insecure. =)

Thanks for all the complements on my car. TA, of course its a stick... do they even sell S2000's with an auto transmission? If so, they should be sent to jail or something. icon_wink.gif

Anyone else use Mederma post op?

-Steve

So so true....so many situations like you just mentioned that get taken for granted.

And ya, count me in as voting "yay" as well for having prison sentences dished out for getting an S2000 w/ auto. icon_smile.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 2 weeks later...

Gah, I'm shedding like crazy. Sigh...

Question... did anyone else think their scar was wide because of a scab that was covering it, but then when the scab came off notice that it was really thin?

I am afraid my scar is stretching a bit on my right side, but I can't really tell because most of it has scabbed over... anyone else experience this?

By the way, hope everyone is having an amazing holiday!

-Steve

Hey, thanks for the encouragement. =)

I guess I am a little worried because I am such a tosser/tuner when I sleep.... cant help but rubbing my head all over my pillow when I'm asleep, which is obviously not good for the donor area... I think.... I dunno. lol

Funny, you research for years and years and there is always something you worry about that you never even considered pre-op =)

-Steve

Steve,

There were times on and off during the first several months of my surgery where I thought I was going to end up with a really wide and horrid scar. Thankfully, it turned out to be extended redness, shock loss, scabbing, etc.

The scar cannot really be properly evaluated until at LEAST 6 months, but more likely a year. Try not to panic. Just keep properly caring for the donor area and I'm sure you will be fine.

Happy growing!

Bill

Thanks Bill.

Not panicking by any stretch. I get what you're saying though. =)

And Fallenstar, I definitely will man. I'm planning on taking pictures every 2 weeks or so. I'll keep uploading them here.

-Steve

hi emu,Bill is spot on about the scar.im 4 weeks now and where im buzzed down the scar is quite noticeble and "thick",but on closer inspection it really is just redness,hairloss etc around the scar.12 months time im sure we will both be happy bunnys.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.