Dr. Lawrence Shapiro review and questions for other HT Dr.s

Scrounge

chris2010,

Dr. LARRY Shapiro has never been recommended by this community. We recommend Dr. Paul and Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minnesota. No relation to Dr. Larry.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

From what I am reading here, I am glad that I was sufficiently discouraged by Dr. Shapiro's office manager insisting on a $250 consultation fee to seek a transplant elsewhere.

I ended up with Dr. Charles who quoted a fair price and delivered more than the number of grafts promised.

• 2 months later...
it is often the practice of unscrupulous clinics to charge for a particular amount of grafts and not do them.

This is often one of the reasons they can keep the prices so low.

Another red flag is the "up sell" to more grafts once your in the chair.....it is the practice of most ethical clinics to agree on a set graft total and gift these to the patient if they go over.

I can tell you that maintaining a proper clinic, equipment, staff and administration is expensive, period.

I suggest you see a coalition doctor in your area, have them examine your scalp and attempt to estimate the amount of incisions and area covered. You could then take this information back to your clinic if there is any issue.

Here's the deal with your ht....be calm, wait it out. See how it turns out. Once it grows in, then we can see what your hairline looks like and go from there.

I hope this helps!!!

Take care,

jason

consider the amount of time you were there

when did the actual surgery start

how many minutes were spent inserting grafts

reasonably estimate the time to lift a graft with tweezers and insert it - approx 5 seconds in skilled hands

multiply the number of grafts x 5 seconds =

take that number and divide by how many techs were inserting

in other words - 1000 grafts x 5 seconds each = 5000 seconds or approximately 8.5 hours divided by 2 techs = 4.25 hours minimum

the more techs doing full time insertions, the less time

to entertain anything faster than 5 seconds per graft insertion is simply not reasonable.

This doesnt count paperwork, pre op shaving, marking, anasthesia, vallium wait time, incision, strip removal, graft recovery, sutures or post op wait time for anasthesia and drugs to wear off.

Do the math.

Shockingly bad, and unrefined, work from Larry Shapiro.

It seems that his clinic is just a conveyor belt for unsuspecting clients. What sort of doctor gives you 3 HTs in the 3 years and still can't deliver a natural hairline?!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 5 months later...
Wow! That is one crazy experience you had with those letters! I always saw Larry Shapiro's prices and wondered how he could undercut the competition so badly, I guess if you're going to charge for a number of grafts and not actually deliver, that explains it.

Did your last letter to the attorney end things with them?

Yes, after the last letter I never heard another word. To date I am thrilled with the results that Dr. Charles was able to achieve. He did a perfect job softening the hair line and providing more density. However, I'm am contemplating another scar revision. As I would like to have a thinner scar so I can cut my hair shorter in the summer.

• 9 months later...
The Questions:

To get the possible doctors viewing this thread out of here quick, I'll start with the questions.

Is it possible for a patient to hear every/most of the follicle incisions being done during a Dr. L. Shaprio type of procedure?

Is there any other way to prove how many transplants were done?

What can I do from this point forward?

I'm very curious due to my most recent experience with Dr. L. Shaprio. I'll explain below...

A little about me:

Let me start by saying that I am 39 years old and have had 3 HT sessions with Dr. L. Shaprio over the last 3 years. Unlike some, I've been relatively happy with my improvements. My head hasn't been mangled nor do I have a hideous donor scar as a result of the three procedures. However, his ability to provide an undetectable hairline needs work. It is very possible that my 4th and hopefully final procedure will be with a Doctor that can provide a better hairline.

My gradual hair loss started in my late 20's. By my mid 30's I started using Rogain based products and achieved positive results. However, those results weren't good enough and I decided to do HTs. I did some research of a few local doctors on the Internet and found very little (probably because I was searching specific doctors). I did several consultations as well. All of the doctors were using the same procedure and offering the same results. With that in mind, I chose Dr. L. Shaprio because his prices were better ($3 per Vs $8 per).

The Doctor visits:

During all 3 pre-surgery consultations I was able to speak to the Dr. as long as I needed. He spent time answering my questions and addressing my concerns. I found him to be quite friendly and knowledgeable. His staff was very friendly as well. They explain everything they want you to do to prepare for the procedure (messaging the scalp, no aspirin or alcohol, etc.) I also didn't find the initial sales pitch to be high pressure at all. But they do press quite hard for a deposit. When you return for the procedure is when they turn up the sales pressure in an attempt to get you to do more HTs.

The Procedures

When you get to there office, the staff signs you in and moves you into a consultation room. This is where the hard sale for more HTs happens. Once that's done the Dr. comes in and speaks with you. In my case, he again spent as much time as I needed answering questions and discussing the procedure each time I was there. After the Dr. visit I am dressed for the surgery, bombarded with paper work to sign and given the pre-op drugs. Next I am taken into one of the 3 procedure rooms(he is usually working on 2 other people at the same time). My lunch order is taken, my movie choice is put on the TV and the numbing shots are applied to my head by one of the Dr.'s nurses. Once I am numb the Dr. removes my donor strip, sews my up and makes the multiple HT incisions. After that it's not likely I'm going to see the Dr. again during the procedure. Unless he makes a request of me to allow him to bring in some (potential client) to see the procedure. Otherwise his assistants finish up by placing all of the implants.

1st HT

I started out as a 3 or 3A. I was told that 1,000 was the least amount of HTs I should do. I chose to do 1200 at $2.50 per graft and was up sold to 1350 on the day of the procedure.

2nd HT

Unhappy with the thickness of my hair (thinking I needed more HTs) and wanting to reduce the linear look of Dr. L Shapiro's hairline, I chose to do 1800 more at $2.50 per graft. The Dr. assured me that he could fix the look of the hair line and I would be happy.

3rd HT

Still unhappy with the fullness and disappointed with the seemingly thicker/more visible linear hairline, I was back for more. During my consultation I asked the Dr. exactly what the max amount of HTs he thought I could do on my next procedure. I also told him that he must fix the hairline with the next HT. He told me that the reason my hairline was so defined/noticeable was because my hair was so dark and my scalp was so light.(I'm calling BS on this) But he swore that he could blend it in and make it look more natural. He was also very reluctant to give me the quantity of max HTs. However, he did end up telling me that 2000 (@ $2.00 per graft) was the max he could do. (This is what brings me to my original questions.) When I returned for the procedure, I was once again taken into the consultation room where the consultant started in about more HTs. I told her that the Dr. already said I was at a max of 2000 for this procedure. She "the consultant" then tells me, "no you could do more". I'm thinking WTF. I told her to go argue with the doctor. She then leaves the room and returns with the Dr. Dr. L. Shapiro proceeds to tell me that because I messaged so well he could do up to 500 more. This didn't sound right to me, but this is a "doctor" telling me and I want as much hair as possible, so I agreed to 200 more for a further reduced price of $1.50 per graft.

Suspicious about the up sale because what the Dr. told me during my previous consultation, I decided to count the incisions during the procedure. I remembered how I could hear a crunching sound each time the doctor made an incision. I figure count those sounds and I'll know (within reason) whether or not I got the extra 200 grafts. Well the Dr. began and I started counting. I only got to around 870 and he was done. Needless to say I was confused and unsure if my count was accurate, so I didn't say anything.

The here and now

It's been less than 2 weeks since the HT and I've been beating myself up over this, wondering which way to turn. I started doing more research into this doctor and not liking what I've found. I can understand that some people aren't happy with their results. But my quandary involves being cheated out of money. This isn't a question of talent anymore. It's a question of whether or not this guy is selling you 2200 transplants for $4300.00 and only doing 870. Which coincidentally mean he's getting the average going rate of almost $5.00 per transplant.

Please refer to the questions at the beginning and offer any assistance you can.

Thank you for taking your time to read all of that.

Looks like this guy is nothing but a criminal with a medical license, in my opinion. I've been down the pike with all of these hair restoration "procedures" and learned one thing a long time ago: Just because the guy is wearing a white smock doesn't make him any less of a liar and con artist. This industry needs a lot more regulation - like serious jail time for these con artists who use a scalpel in their crimes.

• 4 weeks later...

Scrounge,

Wow, just saw this for the first time. Amazing story. You've done an awesome job documenting this and sharing it with the community, THANK YOU for doing so. And congratulations for beng able to finally get things fixed with Dr. Charles, you deserve it.

3840 FUT grafts + Acell/PRP with Dr. Jerry Cooley April 17, 2014

And, I'll admit it - I'm trying the Help Hair Shake in my smoothies

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174893-3-000-fut-my-visit-thursday-april-17-dr-cooley.html

• 2 years later...

I had 2 procedures with Dr Shapiro, a woman who runs his office is nasty and plays games with patients after she gets your money. First, let me tell you I went for a second procedure after having one years prior. He downgraded quite a bit, crappy office, there were flies in the operating room landing on me!!! I felt like I was in a third world country. Not to mention an unlicensed third world doctor from Columbia was doing the procedure (she told me she wasn't licensed there when I asked nicely in conversation). I normally wouldn't post this, but they treated me so badly that why not? I also have scars on the back of my head.

I wouldn't have posted a review at all if it wasn't for how I was treated. Dr Shapiro said he would give me a deal on a third procedure. His office manager "Corina," didn't like that idea and blew me off for a solid year. Didn't answer my phone calls, ignored my texts. So I sent a message from another number like I was a new patient and she immediately responded. I finally threatened a negative review and instantly Dr Shapiro called me back personally. I told them I wouldn't post a review, but after seeing Dr Glen Charles and the difference between the 2 practices and how I was treated, I had to. Not even mentioning how Dr Shapiro put me on finasteride which messed me up royally (at 21), hormones all messed up, but that's not my complaint here. It's to beware of his practice, he is also over priced, Dr Charles offered me a better deal, in an office 100% nicer than theirs.

Dr Shapiro's office manager told me one lie after another to avoid me from getting the deal Dr Shapiro offered me. At the time I had the last procedure done, the girls working on me told me to complain about the flies landing on me. They said I should say something, apparently it is a problem there. I bled really bad and was in horrible pain the whole procedure as they didn't numb the area right (another doctor pointed this out to me, so that's how I know), also swelled up a lot after. Go to him if you want, but read the other reviews, I'm not the only one who has had a horrible experience with him. You have been warned! Also want to mention that I was an executive of a cosmetic surgery company for a few years, so I know quite a bit about this stuff.

I also want to add that in no way did I get the amount of grafts he said I did, after seeing other doctors, they agreed. I have a procedure with Dr Glen Charles scheduled for next week, already paid the deposit.

I would like to add a FOLLOWUP:

I have been unable to get my medical records from Dr Lawrence Shapiro's office as both addresses are non working, mail was returned from one saying the space was vacant and the other was also returned. So Dr Lawrence Shapiro is operating out of his house I guess, BEWARE of this fraud con man.

OK, So I am writing yet another Followup, Dr Shapiro himself called me, told me he is out of the office for 4 months due to his foot being broken. He said they had to leave the office they were in due to some strange problems he explained. I have to say, he didn't sound like he was operating with a full deck, I even told him he should have someone answering his phones, how I had been blown off for an entire year.

If it doesn't make sense, it is likely a lie, and not much of what he said makes sense, I really have to say that I have no trust in this doctor at all. I told him reviews online were really bad about him, and he said they were all from other doctors paying people to fight gorilla warfare online lol. You can't make this stuff up, you really can't, as for the quality of the work he has done on me. I can't complain about the quality, but I don't think I got all the grafts I was supposed to get.

I will post how my procedure goes with Dr Glen Charles, it is worth noting Dr Charles told me I only needed 1200 grafts and didnt try to oversell me something I did not need.

Edited by JustSayNoToShapiro

• 1 year later...

I don't understand why there's not some real teeth in the laws regulating hair transplant surgeons. Medical professionals are expected to have earned the special position of trust that they enjoy in their communities. But, sadly, some of these "doctors" are nothing more than muggers who use a scalpel instead of a gun. They get away with that because the results of cosmetic procedures are subjective and open to judgment calls from beginning to end. And hair transplantation is especially conducive to an artistic interpretation. . However, it's one thing when some con artist lies though their teeth to drain your bank account. But, it's quite another when someone - not only uses human desperation and pain as leverage to influence the victim - but then leaves them mutilated with life-long damage. You can make money to recover from a common financial scam. But you can't grow another scalp or recover from scars left by some monster who sees other human beings as nothing but pieces of meat to deceive, exploit and then throw to the side when they're finished . This is a real atrocity that rivals the worst crimes - on the same level as an aggravated assault, rape or other outrageous violation. If it can be demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt that a surgeon misrepresented and/or defrauded victims, all they currently face is a possible reprimand from a medical board or civil arbitration procedure. This is really a bloody joke. These vampires should get some good hard prison time in a tough prison - like 30 years in the slammer. My guess is if that were the case, we'd be seeing fewer sad stories from victims on forums like this.

Edited by thecenturion