Are these two physicians recommendation material?

• Administrators

I would appreciate this community's input regarding two physicians who have asked to be recomended on the Hair Transplant Network.

They are Damkerng Pathomvanich, MD of Bangkok, Thailand and Mohammad H. Mohmand, MD of Islamabad, Pakistan.

I get many emails from people in these regions who don't know who to turn to for quality hair restoration care. Currently we have not recommended physicians in the Middle East, Indochina or the far East. It would be great to provide them with solid recommendation in their part of the world.

Damkerng Pathomvanich, MD has attended ten of the past 13 international hair restoration meeting sponsored by the ISHRS, which given his distance is impressive.

His profile on the ISHRS website is shown below:

"Dr. Pathomvanich is a Board Certified General Surgeon with a one year fellowship in cosmetic surgery at the Cosmetic Surgery Center in Little Rock, Arkansas (recognized by AACS). Furthermore, he has also had additional training in Hair Restoration Surgery at Stough Medical Associates.

Dr. Pathomvanich settled his Hair Restoration practice in Bangkok, Thailand in 1989. To date, he is widely published, in the field of Hair Transplantation, in medical journals and text books, and has been invited as a guest speaker in numerous Medical Schools in Bangkok and throughout Asia.

As a surgeon he enjoys scalp reduction, but today most patients prefer only the hair graft. He is currently researching possibilities in the preservation of hair follicles during donor harvesting -through careful dissection under magnification, since the donor hair is limited; and uses the same scar on subsequent session.

He is proud of his team of 2RNs and 4 Tech. Dr. Pathomvanich understands the differences between Oriental hair and Caucasian hair, and has modified his techniques to achieve good and natural results in the Asian.

The clinic uses Binocular Stereoscopic Dissecting Microscope to prepare Follicular units and minigrafts. The session varied from all follicular unit hair transplantations to mix grafts pending on careful analysis of the patient hair and pattern baldness at the time of consultation. Most patients are very satisfied after 2 to 3 sessions."

His website is at www.hairtransinter.com/contents/aboutus.htm

Mohammad H. Mohmand, MD bio on his web site at www.hti.com.pk/dresume.php

His website is at www.hti.com.pk

Thanks in advance to everyone for their input and opinions.

Pat, Publisher of the Hair Transplant Network

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

I would appreciate this community's input regarding two physicians who have asked to be recomended on the Hair Transplant Network.

They are Damkerng Pathomvanich, MD of Bangkok, Thailand and Mohammad H. Mohmand, MD of Islamabad, Pakistan.

I get many emails from people in these regions who don't know who to turn to for quality hair restoration care. Currently we have not recommended physicians in the Middle East, Indochina or the far East. It would be great to provide them with solid recommendation in their part of the world.

Damkerng Pathomvanich, MD has attended ten of the past 13 international hair restoration meeting sponsored by the ISHRS, which given his distance is impressive.

His profile on the ISHRS website is shown below:

"Dr. Pathomvanich is a Board Certified General Surgeon with a one year fellowship in cosmetic surgery at the Cosmetic Surgery Center in Little Rock, Arkansas (recognized by AACS). Furthermore, he has also had additional training in Hair Restoration Surgery at Stough Medical Associates.

Dr. Pathomvanich settled his Hair Restoration practice in Bangkok, Thailand in 1989. To date, he is widely published, in the field of Hair Transplantation, in medical journals and text books, and has been invited as a guest speaker in numerous Medical Schools in Bangkok and throughout Asia.

As a surgeon he enjoys scalp reduction, but today most patients prefer only the hair graft. He is currently researching possibilities in the preservation of hair follicles during donor harvesting -through careful dissection under magnification, since the donor hair is limited; and uses the same scar on subsequent session.

He is proud of his team of 2RNs and 4 Tech. Dr. Pathomvanich understands the differences between Oriental hair and Caucasian hair, and has modified his techniques to achieve good and natural results in the Asian.

The clinic uses Binocular Stereoscopic Dissecting Microscope to prepare Follicular units and minigrafts. The session varied from all follicular unit hair transplantations to mix grafts pending on careful analysis of the patient hair and pattern baldness at the time of consultation. Most patients are very satisfied after 2 to 3 sessions."

His website is at www.hairtransinter.com/contents/aboutus.htm

Mohammad H. Mohmand, MD bio on his web site at www.hti.com.pk/dresume.php

His website is at www.hti.com.pk

Thanks in advance to everyone for their input and opinions.

Pat, Publisher of the Hair Transplant Network

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Pat,

I looked at Dr. Pathomvanich's web site. His results look pretty good, but the pictures are a little small. I can't reall get a good feel for the hairlines without seeing some closeups.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

• Administrators

Gorpy, Thanks for your input.

I have to say, from all I've heard and seen I'm excited about Dr. Pathomvanich. In fact, Dr. Chang, who I visited in California last month, just got back from visiting Dr. Pathomvanich in Bangkok and watching him do two superb surgeries in two days. He mentioned to me that he was extremely impressed by Dr. Pathomvanich and his staff and their techniques.

To Dr. Chang's credit he has attended ten of the last 14 ISHRS internation meetings and traveled all over the world to watch surgeries performed at leading clinics. So when says he is extremely impressed I think that is a strong vote of confidence in Dr. Pathomvanich.

My Hair Loss Blog

Pat,

I know that Dr. Wong is a fan of Dr. Pathomvanich's work and has spoken very highly of his work on one of the other forums. He may be a good person to contact for more information--I know that he's watched Dr. Pathomvanich perform surgery on several occasions.

I do not have any real negative argument to "block" these Doc's from being placed on the Coalition Recommendation List.

I have looked at a couple of Dr. Pamthanovich patients, and the results are pretty good.

I have heard that Dr. Wong (of H&W) believes that Dr. P is doing great work, especially on Asian men.

I see the Stough relationship posted on the clinic.

My personal feeling is that we need to create some ties with Asian based clinics, and it seems that Dr. P is the "best" of those doing work in this area. I am not overly impressed with the photos shown of Caucasions, but his photos of Asian or Middle Eastern men are very good.

In this instance, I would say OK on Dr. P, but ONLY if he allows you to

A. Visit his clinic and watch photgraph his consult and surgical process

B. Provides us with HIGH RESOLUTION before and afters going forward.

If he indeed wants to have a relationship with us, we should require some form of continual updating, etc..

No on Mohammad. His practice is too diverse, not impressed with the overall results, although he seems to have a good grasp of good HT techniques. I think we should focus on clinics that are not in Coalition but recommended by HTN who exclusively perform HT.

I am basing my opinion of Dr. P primarily on the fact that he has met approval by Dr. Wong.

Thanks for keeping our standards high Pat!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

B Spot,

To clarify, neither of these physicians is currently being considered for membership in the Coalition but rather recommedation on the Hair Transplant Network.

Then in time if they prove to this community and fellow Coalition members (yes, I consult them on all new potential members as well) that they are truly outstanding and have mastery of ultra refined techniques and patient friendly session sizes than they will be considered for membership in the Coalition.

Again, we need to allow time for the cream to rise to the top. Now that's not to say that they are any less than current Coalition members. We just need to know it and that can take time.

All the best, Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

To me, it's impossible to make determinations merely by looking at a website so you must listen to input from those you trust. From what I know now (which is nothing other than having heard Pamthanovich's name before) I would be neither for or against either of them at present.

I viewed Dr. Pamthanovich's website pics and think they looked okay but it's so tough to tell without close-ups or better quality pics. The fact that Dr. Wong likes his work is a huge plus from my prospective as pointed out by the B spot. I must admit, when reading the bio and seeing the bit about the fact that he "enjoys scalp reduction" I cringed while at the same time holding on to my "now covered" precious crown full of grafts icon_wink.gif !

Pat, should it be a requirement that you personally visit each surgeons clinic before the site recommends them? Though maybe this is not always a possibility it is obviously best. (I'll offer to travel with you if it happens to be in a nice warm, tropical climate with an ocean view.. icon_cool.gif )

I know nothing of Dr. Mohammad Humayun Mohmand so I suppose the same goes.............it would be great if there was a personal visit with first-hand details of his work and quality photos. When reviewing his website, I felt like the results/testimonials read a little like an infommercial.....just IMO.

I'm open to each but, not having a wealth of HT patient results having been posted here to review, would prefer first-hand information and detailed photo's.

Any other thoughts?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Absolutely Pat. I stated that Dr. Pathamovich has earned high praise from some very reputable people, namely Dr. Wong, thus I felt that he would be welcome in our "Recommended" list, not in the Coalition at this time.

Unfortunately, our name is tied to the recommended list, allowing Dr.s to post that they are "recommended" by the HTN. I think it is just as important to chose recommended Dr's with the intentions that they earn an invite into Coalition membership.

This is why I am not enamoured with Dr.Mohammed simply because as an "unknown" his practice is NOT focused in HT only. Not doing HT's day in and day out, striving to get better, is simply not what we want is it?

As always, if you feel these Doc's are good enough, that has and will continue to be cgood enough for me.

Thanks for asking our opinions!

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Sorry for my aloofness with respect to Pat's above post................his post must have been there before mine but I don't remember seeing it.

At any rate..........I was confused and thought we were talking about Coalition Membership. As for either Doc being on the recommended list, I need to get better understanding before commenting.

Thanks,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guest Cousin_It

Pat..

I have looked at Dr. Pathomvanich's website and the pictures look pretty good, especially those of Asian descent. He appears to do all the latest procedures, dense pack, megasessions and micrografts. His transection rate of less than 2% is definitely excellent. Considering his recommendation by Dr.Wong, whom I am sure has more information than we do about his abilities and success rate I think he would be a good addition to be considered.

As far as Dr. Mohmand, I am not equally as impressed. He performs too many varied procedures other than transplantations. His pictures do not seems that bad, but are limited, and difficult to get an accurate assessment of his capabilites. The information on his site is sketchy concerning transplantation which makes it even more difficult to determine his skills and philosphy. Considering this I am not impressed with what I have seen and believe additional information be needed before I would recommend him.

Personally I would say no to both. Regarding Mohammad H. Mohmand, MD it would be absolutely not...his website combined with his vast services offered makes me very weary of his work, not to mention his photo's are now where near acceptable resolution. Regarding Dr Damkerng Pathomvanich-MD I was close to giving him the thumbs up having read post on this and HLH forum with positive recommendations from Dr.Wong. But unless I am viewing his site wrong, let me know...I can't stand before and after pics in Doctors galleries that don't have grafts counts....ludicrous in my opinion. So no on both prop 183 & 120...errr I'm mean no on both doctors.

my-2c

bay

• 5 months later...

So, I've noticed that Dr. Mohmand is now on the recommended list, while Dr. Path is not.

It's hard to figure out why that happened based on this thread.

Can someone enlighten us?

Thanks!!

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Not sure why Dr. Path is not on the list.

As far as free pizza's go, if that were the case, Bosley and MHR would be sending them monthly by the truckload.

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

I was reading through this whole thread thinking this sounded really familiar and then realized it was posted in 2006. I don't know, however, why I didn't give my imput on this...however...

I have reservations about this statement on Dr. Pathomvanich's website:

As a surgeon he enjoys scalp reduction,

Scalp reductions historically don't have a good track record, and from what I've read, it's pretty outdated at this point.

I also agree with hairbank...I would not be able to make determinations on recommendations simply by viewing a clinic's website...as we know.

A recommendation of Dr. Wong's is always a feather in a doctor's cap IMO, however, without actually seeing patient's work, from a personal standpoint, I couldn't actually recommend him in a discussion.

I also like hairbank's idea of visitation to potentially recommended clinics (when possible) - (I too wouldn't mind making a few trips here and there provided the clinic compensates icon_wink.gif) or at least, if not possible, seeing a collague of PATIENT'S before/progression/after pictures posted by their patients and not themselves. Just IMO.

Anyway...sorry for the LATE response...but...

I too am curious why Dr. Path did not make it on the list. Perhaps Pat can give us some clarification.

Did somebody say free pizza? I think this should DEFINITELY be a requirement for admittance on the recommended list or coalition icon_wink.gif

Bill

I think the scalp reduction thing is old--something he used to do that he, as a surgeon, enjoyed. I haven't come across one single person on ANY site that mentioned that Dr. Pathomvanich recommended a scalp reduction.

Marketing as a discipline is not very advanced in Asia (except Japan and Singapore). I'm involved in changing that, but for now, the concept of consumer psychology is not well understood. No one would put that on a Web site in the USA because of the negative associations involved.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

No on both. Scalp reductions and mini grafts are not only antiquated, but were never viable techniques. Just how far backwards are we willing to go here? And as far as recommendations go, I can tell you first-hand they mean nothing, even from the "best" clinics. Doctors reputations need to stand alone. Their prolific, well documented results will speak loud enough on their own.

• Administrators

Thanks for everyone's input regarding these two physicians. Dr. Mohmand and Dr. Pathomvanich were both invited by me to apply for recommendation on this community by presenting their results in photo albums on this forum.

Dr. Mohmand chose to do so and his impressive results and credentials were presented on the topic entitled Recommendation of Mohammad H. Mohmand, MD of Islamabad, Pakistan. Based on his work and on input from this community I decided to recommend him.

At this time, Dr. Pathomvanich chose not to submit his information and patient photos on this forum in order to become a recommended physician. I did speak with him lately on the phone to encourage him to do so. He told me that he wanted to improve his website before being presented on our community.

Like so many top notch physicians he is a perfectionist and doesn't want to attract attention to his website until he has overhauled it. Hopefully he and his website will soon be ready to for many visits from the members of this community.

All the best. Pat

My Hair Loss Blog

I will be in Thailand this summer and will have a consultation at his office. I am strongly leaning toward having a procedure with him. Anything I can do?

--

My Hair Loss Weblog

• 5 months later...
Guest josh - b

i know this is an old post but i'm just wondering if dr pathomvanich was reapproached to become a recommended member doctor?

He declined membership a few months ago as he wanted to update his website, which is now updated.