l am an African American Male and had hair transplant (900 FUT)3 years ago by one of the well-known hair tranplant doctor on the east coast. not a single strand of hair grew back. l am not sure what could have happen. l have being on propecia for over a year and nothing is happening. please l need advice. my recent photo is attached.

03-vertex(front_view).jpg.74487e37acd138b3f5843aa299d754a0.jpg

l am an African American Male and had hair transplant (900 FUT)3 years ago by one of the well-known hair tranplant doctor on the east coast. not a single strand of hair grew back. l am not sure what could have happen. l have being on propecia for over a year and nothing is happening. please l need advice. my recent photo is attached.

Godzluv69,

Welcome to our community.

Who was your doctor? Do you have any before pictures or Immediately post op pictures you can post? Did you get strip or FUE surgery? How old are you? Are you on any medication for hair loss? If you can shed a little more light on your situation, perhaps we'd better be able to advise you.

Cheers,

Bill

l am 42 years old and l never took any photo. But look at the photo l attached does that look like a hair that had 800 graft. It was a strip on the donor side. l am attaching another photo.

Please help me l am really confused.

07-face_view.jpg.f67bb7836f0e8e8930bfc4d16a6d4839.jpg

Godzluv69, First, it is hard to say if your Hairtransplant was a failure or not without seeing before photos.

You could have had shock loss of your native hair if you had grafts planted into the middle of them.

That being said, 800 grafts are not alot & after 3 years you know where you stand now.

You can easily still get your hair restored at this point by a skilled surgeon.

You should take some time & do some research here to find out what your options are.

Find a coaltion Doctor from this site, get a consultation, then let us know who you went to & what they recommended.

It's time to move on from that first hairtransplant & improve on what you have!

I hope this helps...

Yup

900 Grafts wil not do much so maybe they grew in and did not make a significant difference.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Thanks guys for your input. Could this have actually be a shock loss for 3 years runnng? l am raising money to get 2500 grafts minimum in my next procedure but l just want to make sure such investment bears fruits. Thus, my scalp is not rejecting HT or my scalp is not diseased.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Hi

You never mentioned your doctor? I highly doubt there is smething worng withyour scalp or anything like that.. IT is proabably th docstor or you did not notice the gradual growth. 900 is not much

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Godzluv69,

As the others have said, it's difficult to evaluate your HT without before pictures, but keep in mind that 900 grafts is NOT a lot of grafts.

You could have had permanent shockloss of native hair...

You may have simply lost more native hair since your transplant...

Are you doing anything right now to prevent future hair loss? Finasteride and/or minoxodil?

I agree...find a coalition doctor for your next round who have a proven track record.

Who was your doctor?

Bill

The doctor was ROBERT BERNSTEIN in New Jersey. l hesitated initially in mentioning the doctor because l don't want it to appear l am giving him a bad name. l think he is a great guy and l just met with him he didn't sound very positive about the whole process but again, l really don't know what my next move should be.

06-scar_tissue(donor_area).jpg.4deb41e1c28833daf4eb68cc33af68f2.jpg

While 900 grafts is a relatively low number, African American hair characteristics normally allow for more coverage with less grafts. You would have seen SOME definite growth with a positive yield of 900 grafts- something went wrong somewhere. The permanent loss in the donor scar also suggests something off. Isn't Berntstein like the top guy? This is a shame, because you really did do your homework researching your surgeon- I've read that he is like the founding father of modern hair restoration. There has to be an explanation. Best of luck to you, there is always hope!

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

This does not look good. Can we get an explanation from Dr. Bernstein?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

• 2 weeks later...

nobuzz4me could you let me know your experience with Dr. James Vogel and l am think of meeting with him and see if he can fix this mess Dr. bernstein left me with. l live in Maryland. l have had several people e-mail me privately about their own experience with Dr. Bernstein. People are not just speak out l hope others will be cautious of this doctors.

07-face_view.jpg.bd01be7451a7f143ffd57b183e04e935.jpg

Godzluv69,

Slow down. Maybe I am missing something but I would certainly not see this as a mess. This does not look like anything that would bring up discussion of an attorney.

As stated earlier by some members, 900 Fu is not a whole lot and it is possible that you had much higher expectations. If you have in the mean time lost some of your native hair it is certainly likely that it might not look like any of the grafts actually grew or possibly things look worse than when you started. Unfortunately that is a reality and can happen until you have the entire frontal region restored with another HT and several more fu.

Start by seeing at least 3 other surgeons(recommended on this site) and get opinions. Ask them if they can point out the transplanted grafts to you. Also see Dr. Bernstein and see what he has to say. From what I understand he is a stand up guy and he'll take care of you. I can tell you this, if none of the previous grafts did indeed take with your case, maybe a future transplant is not right for you. However if they did indeed grow and you have sufffered further loss of native hair, you will need at least another 2500fu as you already stated.

Good luck with things.

NN

P.S. Dr. Feller is less expensive and awesome. Go see him for a consult.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN,

Did you see the donor scar pic?

I would not call thet top notch. Granted, shockloss can make things look worse but it has been 3 years. Dr. Bernstien should repair this free of charge if he is stand up as people say.

I agree more FUs are needed but the scar is very noticable.

NoBuzz

OK I stand corrected. No I had not seen the donor area picture and was wondering what all the hype was about. Now I know. Thanks for pulling my head out of my ass. icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmmm different story seeing the donor photo. Pat?? Dr. Bernstein?? It looks to me like a keloid formation (scar tissue goes haywire) which is common in afroamerican individuals. What many cosmetic surgeons (HT surgeons) are suppose to do is test an area to see if they are possibly more prone to the formation of keloids. I would guess that is what we are seeing.

In seeing this--I would talk to Dr. Bernstein about scar revision--which could also be dicey. I'm not an expert but I would hazzard a guess that a future strip surgery might not be in your future. Please get some opinions from top docs and possibly top plastic surgeons which is why Dr. Vogel might be a good idea.

Best of luck. Sorry for previous post and the confusion.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Scar revision is the only option at this point.

I would recommend a consult with Shapiro, Griffin (in Atlanta) Nusbaum, Vogel(based on NoBuzz) and go from there.

I would contact Jotronics to see how they feel about your situation as well.

If you or other docs feel as if a strip scar is not the best option..... contact Dr. Harris in Colorado for a FUE session into the scar.

He has a very good reputation as well.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.