Dr Rahal, Strip on 22 Jan 08 - 2803 grafts into the Crown. My HT experience.

El Nino

Hi guys,

I am a long time lurker on this forum and this is my first post. I would like to thank everyone who posts here for sharing their wisdom and experiences. It was a great help for me in deciding which surgeon to choose.

I am a 28 year old NW 3 Vertex with no frontal loss, and have been for about 4 years. So last year I decided to take action and started researching. I decided that there wasn't a Surgeon in the UK suitable for me and that I would travel to North America. From the pics I saw there wasn't much between the top docs, but I did notice that Dr. Rahals scars were excellent.

I chose Dr. Rahal because I never read a bad word about him and I read many posts where he'd gone the extra mile e.g giving patients a lift home, etc. I got the feeling he genuinely cares for his patients and you aren't just a number, and this is exactly how he is in real life. I also got a good vibe from Adrian his consultant, with prompt replies, no pressure and a straight approach. This was confirmed when he gave up his Saturday with his family to show me a bit of Ottawa. He also took me for a few drinks to watch the football and for dinner in his home.

Dr. Rahal examined my hair in the pre op consult and informed me that the hair below the bald spot was weak. The total area was 75 cm2, but because the hair at the bottom was weak he would leave an area of 15 cm2 in case I lose it - Which would leave me with a natural look. I have been on 1.25mg a day of Fincar for two days - hopefully I won't lose anymore hair. And hopefully the Minoxidil 5% will thicken up the weak hairs at the bottom when I start it on Feb 5.

So on Tuesday 22 January Dr. Rahal expertly transplanted 2803 grafts into my crown, into a 60 cm2 area. He aimed the strip away from most of the singles and got the following - 1s = 188, 2s = 1758 and 3s = 857. Which gives a total number of 6275 hairs, all the 3s placed at the front and singles in the back and the doubles make up the rest. He closed the strip with sutures and the Tricophytic method. Hopefully my scar will be as good as the pics I've seen and Adrians.

The whole experience was great, every member of staff was highy professional and put you at ease. I would highly recommend Dr. Rahal to anyone.

For pre op and post op pics please see the Photo Album Forum or my Hairloss Blog.

King Crown,

Congratulations on selecting a first-rate hair transplant surgeon for your surgery.

I did see your pictures (I moved them to the "hair transplant patient photo albums" section of the forum) and the immediately postoperative photos look great.

I hope you will keep update us with monthly photos so we can follow your progress.

Additionally, feel free to contribute your thoughts and experiences to any forum topic you find interesting.

Heal and grow well.

Best wishes,

Bill

KC -

For the math challenged, what density do you think you will have as a finished result? Around 50/cm2?)

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

Originally posted by Rick055:

KC -

For the math challenged, what density do you think you will have as a finished result? Around 50/cm2?)

It would be about 47 cm2, but Dr. Rahal said the density is slightly more towards the front and less at the back. He said it would be about 57% of original density, which should give good coverage.

Hi King Crown

If you could post some more pictures of your transplanted crown as my situation is very similar to yours and most patients have front thirdish hts in general.

I will look forward to your updates and grow well as Dr Rahal is outstanding.

Cheers.

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

Hi chucky,

There isn't much difference from my Day 9 pics at the moment - which are terrible quality (cameraphone). I will buy a decent camera soon and then I can give the transplant justice when things get interesting.

Hi Dirge,

You have chosen well and I'm sure things will turn out well for you.

• 5 months later...

Lookin' really good; you had quite a large balding area, and in the crown to boot. For <3k grafts this is really shaping out nicely, and your end result looks like it will indeed give you virtually flawless coverage.

How are you feeling about things?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

LOOKS AWESOME!!

I just can't wait to get one.

IMO, that's perfect coverage for the crown. I like a slight "thinning" look; I think it's age appropriate. And you have 7 more months of growth, besides.

1.25 mg finasteride EOD

Rogaine Foam 5% QD am

Kirkland minoxidil 5% QD pm

Nizoral Q2W

American Crew Revitalize Shampoo

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Fallenstar:

King, the crown is looking great. i thought that crown growth is normally much slower that front area HT's.

do u guys think that Kings growth is due to meds he is taking. am curious as i have crown HT booked for nov. not really a meds person.

fs

Hi FS,

I would say the Rogaine Foam has helped with the early growth of the transplanted hair. It has also thickened up some of the native hair in my crown.

KC

PS. Not all crowns are slow - check out this one at 6 months. http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/256...711042363#1711042363

thx KC, yep..this result looks awesome too. i was pleasantly surprised with my own growth at as early as 4-5 mnths when i was expected not much till later...i guess this a bonus.

i am hoping that i have similar rate of growth for the crown. hoping the Doc can plant around 3k+ grafts in the dome :-)

already getting a little excited imagining not being the bald guy forever..

talk again soon...

FS

• 1 month later...

Hi Fellas,

I've just added a couple of 7 month pics in my blog. The hair which came through at 3.5 - 4 months is starting to mature and thicken up now. I've felt more new stubbles the last month and I had an ingrown hair yesterday so there's more to come.

I am over the moon at my progress so far and I can't wait to get to the 12 month mark. I am no longer self conscious when people can see my crown.

I am really pleased I chose Dr. Rahal - he is excellent at getting good coverage and density with minimal grafts.

KC

Excellent looking work on the crown from Rahal; I don't blame you for being ecstatic. Your hair caliber doesn't even seem that great...I think anyone would take your result (area/graft#) in a nanosecond.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

King crown !

What a result so far , ace !

I wish my own crown had come in as good and as soon , good clear outside pics are helpful so keep them coming .

I also notice you have kept your hair shorter , this will help with it looking thicker and aid you results looking good .

I have let my grow long and I beleive this doesn't help my cause hahahahaha mayby I'll have a trim hahaha

Top result so far bud keep the updates coming .

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007