How do I know if I'm going bald?

zgmf

I'm only 15 turning 16 soon and I have a widow's peak. it's quite deep at the sides from as far as I can tell. Though, it's a V shaped like sharp in the middle, unlike the ones i found online which shows me something like a U-shape.

Everyday I shed about 10 to 20+ hair, but from what i found out, an average person loses about 50 hair strands per day, which is normal?

My dad has the same hairline but he doesn't really seem to be balding at the age of 58.

Can anyone help me please? Thanks.

zgmf,

Welcome to our community.

Shedding of hairs between 50 and 100 a day is considered normal.

If you aren't experiencing any significant shedding and not noticing any observable signs of hair loss, I'd say you're in pretty good shape icon_wink.gif.

Watching out for it early is good - but don't let it consume all of your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Bill

Has the shape of your hairline changed or recessed?

It sounds to me like you have congenitally high hairline, which is no cause for alarm in terms of hair loss.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks a lot guys for the replies.

I'm not really sure whether my hairline has changed, since only now have I taken notice of it. The only thing i know is that i have a widow's peak, hmm before, i've never really cared so i don't know. I have quite thin hair, so does my dad and my uncle. My mom and sister don't have widow's peaks though.

At the moment, my dad seems to be shedding quite a lot of hair, but this only happened a few months ago, he IS 58, I'm thinking probably something stressful with his work is causing it. My uncle who is younger than my dad doesn't seem to be balding.

I woke up today to find about 4 hair strands on my pillow. This may not tell me anything about whether I'm bald yet, but is there any way to predict, or prevent balding even if I'm not going to bald soon?

Thanks.

Hi

Bring this up to your family doc next time you get a check up .

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Actually it is normal for most caucasian males around the time of the teenage years and early 20s to start acquiring a "maturing hairline". This is nothing to worry about, and if you look at kids you can see that they have a much more forward looking hairline. Frankly in my opinion a little bit of maturation can even add attractiveness.

The following link may be of some help to you:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/08/08/i-developed-a-widows-peak/

Also look up the term mature hairline on baldingblog.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks guys. The problem is I'm Asian. I fear that I'll be going bald in the next decade, probably even in the next few years, but I'll have to watch out for symptoms to be sure.

Currently along my hairline (widow's peak), I found out that the hair in front of the line are much shorter and thinner compared to the rest of the hair on my head. What does this imply?

Does anyone know of any other symptoms?

Does having a widow's peak mean that you're going to grow bald?

Z

does hairloss run in the family? Of course this does not mean you will or won't lose it but it can give an idea of it is in your genes or not?

For now, take it easy and again, mention it to your doc

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I think getting a widows peak in the height of your pubescent period is not abnormal at all...your testosterone levels are heightened and your body just may be responding...

this site has been very helpfull for me; but in all honesty given your circumstances (i.e. young age and seeming tendancy to be paranoid about this) I would stop questioning everything, not think about balding, and just enjoy your youth. The simple fact is NO-ONE can tell you one way or the other with any degree of certainty; but to be certain: every guy who questions this (no matter what age) is getting raped of their quality of life...it very likely is nothing. forget about it for now and adress it in the future.

just out of curiosity:

what promted you to assume you were balding?

are you generally skeptical of your health / well being?

Thanks guys. Here's how the story goes, my friend told me he noticed that my widow's peak was really obvious when i hold my fringe up. So I did some research up on this 'widow's peak' thing and I found out on wikipedia it states something like 'Male pattern baldness develops what appears to be a widow's peak' or something like that. Then I farther went to google on man pattern baldness and I found out that ALL bald men have widow's peak at the beginning of their bald period. I also found out there were people who were as young as 18 losing hair. I was curious and quite afraid of going bald anywher around 16 to 40. O.o

About my genes, my dad and paternal uncle aren't bald. My maternal uncle is though. However I have never seen my grandfathers before or anyone of the earlier generation so I'm not really sure about it.

Some bald men have a widows peak at the begining of their bald period...BUT not all men with widows peak are going to go bald!!!!

First off, just because you have a widows peak does NOT mean you are necessarily going to go bald.

Second, of course your widows peak was more obvious when you held your "fringe" up. Thats like saying..."my beer belly is more obvious when I lift up my shirt..."

Third, while it is true that alot of men with male PATTERN baldness, develop it in a receeding hairline pattern resembling a widows peak it is not true that ALL men experiencing hairloss will have this receeded hairline pattern. Many are diffuse thinners who will thin all over the top with no particular pattern whatsoever.

Finally, while I can COMPLETELY understand your worry about this, at this point (the age of 15) I would not worry about it. I think your probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. Stop thinking about it. It is probably nothing. Personally, I think for someone like yourself researching this at this age and at this stage is probably very (psychologically) unhealthy. It sounds as though your obsessing over it, when there is a significant chance it will turn out to be nothing. Forget about it for now. In a few years watch and see what happens.

Okay. Seriously this is bad. When I pull my hair even with slight strength some 3 or 4 hair strands come off. It's very weak. When I brush my hair about 10 comes off. Seems like the number falling off everyday is more way past 50.

I'm having my major exams by the way, but I don't think I suffer from stress.

When I pull my hair it just comes out so easily.

zgmf,

When I pull my hair it just comes out so easily.

I have a solution for you: don't pull your hair out icon_wink.gif

Seriously though...

The normal stress of life will not cause genetic hair loss - however, traumatic stress has been known to cause other hair loss conditions such as telogen effluvium. I wouldn't think major exams however, would cause this unless you have an anxiety disorder of some kind and panic attacks. I'm not suggesting that even if you do, that this is the cause of your hair loss, I'm only suggesting that it might be possible. But normal stress will not cause hair loss.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I tried not to think about it, but it's really worrying, especially how my current hair matches with the description of symptoms for male pattern baldness.

Symptoms:

The typical pattern of male baldness begins at the hairline. The hairline gradually recedes to form an "M" shape. The existing hair may become finer and shorter. The hair at the crown also begins to thin. Eventually the top of the hairline meets the thinned crown, leaving a horseshoe pattern of hair around the sides of the head.

I have already got an M shape. Some parts of my hair are finer than the other, especially near the temples on both sides. Plus recently I have noticed a quite a number of hair falling as i brush through my head with my hand. They're short, and like, thin. At the end there's no bulge like how other normal hair have when you pluck them out. Help?

You are quite young.

Maybe start using a Volumizing shapoo and some hair fiber to style

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I don't like styling with wax. I've always thought they damage my hair.

This is getting more and more worrying. Everytime I brush through my hair some will fall out, even as I type and my hand sweeps through my hair a few times, some strands fall off. I can see them when I wash my hair, and when I dry my head with a towel, and on the pillow, floor. They're everywhere! If I haven't missed a single strand since morning, and now it's already 6:14 pm, I can bet that the number of strands falling off has exceeded 50, nearing to 90/100.

Could there possibly be any other reasons for this? I've been experiencing headaches lately (because I sit in front of them computer almost the whole day) and also at night because I sleep late (exams). Or could be that I didn't wash my hair properly? Should I use a conditioner? Pictures are in the other thread. HELP PLEASE?