Dr stewart . clinton twp MI. My consultation today

david letterman

I went to dr.Stewart today at the center for dermatolgy and plastic surgery. i went in filled out my registration papers. after a lil while i was asked to come back to a small room where a counsler met with me .She discussed hair transplantion wth me , i mentiond that i wanted to make sure they use floicular units, she said yes usually one hiar in the hair line and up to 2 -3 - 4 in the rest for density. sounded reasonable . after we talked for a while she had the dr . come in and we talked. he had me remove my hat drew on a hair line , and told me his philosphy . he was against any one to young gettin a transplant and mentined that if you try to do mega sessions at a young age theres a great risk of being left with a gap between balding areas and area transplanted . he also was a hair transplant patient and looked good for a man of abound 55-60 i d say he has been a dr of dermatolgy since 1975. he only does transplants on thursdays, and usually only sees one paitent at a time unless they r small surgerys. then maybe 2 . he recomended 500 graphs for my frontal hair line , he said i wouldnt look like jesus , but i could restore my hair line . thats sounded reasonable and he quoted me 3000.00 dollars no pressure told me to call when i felt comfortale but siad yes he could help me . So ill think it over what are your opions? the other days of the week he preforms dermatology opperations . if u werewondering

I went to dr.Stewart today at the center for dermatolgy and plastic surgery. i went in filled out my registration papers. after a lil while i was asked to come back to a small room where a counsler met with me .She discussed hair transplantion wth me , i mentiond that i wanted to make sure they use floicular units, she said yes usually one hiar in the hair line and up to 2 -3 - 4 in the rest for density. sounded reasonable . after we talked for a while she had the dr . come in and we talked. he had me remove my hat drew on a hair line , and told me his philosphy . he was against any one to young gettin a transplant and mentined that if you try to do mega sessions at a young age theres a great risk of being left with a gap between balding areas and area transplanted . he also was a hair transplant patient and looked good for a man of abound 55-60 i d say he has been a dr of dermatolgy since 1975. he only does transplants on thursdays, and usually only sees one paitent at a time unless they r small surgerys. then maybe 2 . he recomended 500 graphs for my frontal hair line , he said i wouldnt look like jesus , but i could restore my hair line . thats sounded reasonable and he quoted me 3000.00 dollars no pressure told me to call when i felt comfortale but siad yes he could help me . So ill think it over what are your opions? the other days of the week he preforms dermatology opperations . if u werewondering

David,

You want to go to a doctor who strictly does transplants.

Be very very careful with your decision about who'll operate on you.

Many top notch doctors offer travel reimbursment. It's well worth the trip considering it's a lifetime commitment.

Do a lot of research on this forum.

Good luck...

DL,

I would suggest you look elsewhere. As Abouw suggested, look for a clinic that only does HT's and where you can meet patients who have had HT's from the same doctor that will be performing your surgery. Those patients should be six to nine months post-op to show you anything of value.

Getting 500 grafts isn't worth your time and not worth $3,000. That's $6 per graft! The best clinics charge considerably less than that. Plus you don't want to mess up a virgin scalp for 500 grafts. If you don't require (and the doctor doesn't suggest) 1,500 grafts minimum, then you should consider waiting to get a HT.

My opinion is keep looking,

Mr. T

Mr. T's web page

But why would he waste his time with only 500 if he thought it would nt make a differenc ? Plus at the present i cant afford much .i know if u want a cadaillac why just waste money on a cavalier do it once do it right .. much more than that he seemed like he wanted to help also my stylist said he neighbor looks good and she cuts his hair thats how i got the refferal . i appreciate the advice and ill consider it . i have been leaning towards hown and long my self . was just my first consultation based on a good refferal.

If you say "do it once and do it right", then I recommend the prudent track of waiting and researching for a while longer. I'm on the younger side, and I'm considering right now also. I've come to the conclusion that 1000-1500 is what I'll go for, anything less than that may not be worth all the hassle. But then again, each case is different. Like I said before, in order to do it right, I'm doing a ton of research.

CG

You really, really......reallyyyy should not get a strip surgery for a measly 500 grafts!!! A linear scar that might stretch and widen (higher chance of that with a non-top tier Dr.) just for a few grafts. At least think about the stripless HT (FUE) for such a small session. If you "only need 500 grafts" you should not get a HT. If you get a HT based on a cheap price, or only get 500 grafts because that's all you can currently afford you should wait. Ask if they disect the strip grafts under stereoscopic miscroscopes. Does he use single blade scalpel for the strip? A part time HT surgeon is not a wise choice. Going down a path like that is leading to a high chance of regreting things later. Do it right the first time or don't do it at all. You need to keep doing research. Good luck!

ok..ask yourself...if you needed open heart surgery, would you go to the closest surgeon, based on a recommendation from someone at a busstop, and still plan your surgery after hearing that he does hearts on thursdays only? but does elbows on fridays, and treats athlete's foot on tuesdays and thursdays?...

if the above answer is "yes", then by all means..lay down $3,000 for a few hundred grafts, from someone who does this "part time"...however, if the above doesnt make sense to you,then really do yourself a TREMENDOUS favor...read up on the recommendations and warnings here..from people who have gone to these surgeons...and check out the results...and, why in the world do you want to pay $6 a graft, when you know that the BEST surgeons recommended here, do it for half that?..for the same money, you can get TWICE the number of grafts....

dont think that 500 grafts will cover much...depending on your existing hair density, you want your new density to try to emulate your existing density..if youve got 100 hairs/sq.cm. right now, putting in 500 grafts at 10 hairs/ sq.cm. will look pretty bizarre...i believe that the minimum density youre goin to want is something like 25 hairs/ sq. cm or more.....and im sure someone here will correct me if im wrong...but 25/ sq. cm. will use up your 500 grafts in roughly 3 square inches...at 50 hair/ sq cm, you'll get only 1.5 square inches covered....not a whole lot of space covered....

I'd really look into some of the better (and cheaper) surgeons..who do this every day...developed the most advanced techniques and processes..and continue to perfect their craft.....not someone who does this as a sidelight....

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

all of the above arguments are valid AGAINST this guy. He may be the nicest guy in the world with all the best intentions, but he only occassionally does HT procedures. Would you get eye surgery by a guy who only does eye surgery on thursdays, while doing teeth and ears and nose jobs the other days of the week? Think about it before you do it. You definitely want it done once and done right.

NOW, if 500 grafts is all you need (doubtful), then don't get strip. You will have all of the issues with your strip that a guy of 4000 FU will have, with much less benefit. FUE or FIT seem to be producing nice results now.....I would consider looking into that. Don't let money (or lack of) steer you in any one direction. In 10 years when you have plenty of money you will cry yourself to sleep evry night with the damage you did to yourself 10 years earlier.

DL,

I did reply to your e-mail, but am not sure you got it. Let me know.

Only you can decide what is right for you, but if you ask for our opinions, we are going to be honest and give them to you. Mine is I think you would be making a mistake by getting a HT with this doctor. I can't say it any more clearly.

Keep reading the posts here and you will become better educated. That will help you make a better decision.

Best wishes,

Mr. T

Mr. T's web page