What a freakin' pain decision

Guest Cousin_It

Pushing40...

I say go for it regardless of the cost, you only live once and something like this will make you feel so good about yourself and life in general. That was my feeling. I tend to save money by buying used cars and doing all the repairs in my home like you.

Have you consulted with Feller yet. I had 3700 done by him a few months ago and it was 11K. I know he was charging 12k for 4000 grafts, so it is a bit cheaper than you mentioned.

The overall work you have done by these doctors will pretty much end up being of the same quality, only difference would be with Feller you may have a chance of doing it all in one procedure, that seems like an advantage to me.

Looking forward to hearing you thoughts on these docs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider what I paid for my HT to be some of the best money I've ever spent. Even almost 2 years later I look in the mirror and am so much happier than when my forehead was receding. I was seriously ashamed of it, pissed off at times. Even though I know it wasn't my fault, the fact was that I was bald and not happy about it. Some guys look great bald, I didn't, my head looked stupid with great donor on the sides and back with nothing but a shiny forehead up front. I was that way for almost 10 years, your attitude changes long term, it undermines your happiness, subtly.

Now, I really appreciate my hair. Life is better. That's worth a lot to me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

Biscuit,

Good damned post. It is a subtle undermining that we go through, for sure.

Pushing40,

Use your view on car buying with regards to a HT. While you're paying for "new goods" with the HT it will always be a new model long after it's paid officon_smile.gif

Seriously, yes it is a big ticket item but with Dr. Hasson's assessment, you have a high probability of being a classic "one and done" patient. You remind me of Biscuit a bit in that regard. Keep in mind that with the estimate of 4000 it could go higher or lower but 4000 is a great number for you. It just depends on your final hairline placement that would be discussed at length between you and Dr. H. (if you so decide to use his services).

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by biscuit:

your attitude changes long term, it undermines your happiness, subtly.

Excellent way of putting feelings into words. Though I didn't let my hairloss effect me much "day to day".....there were those times it really sucked. For me, with huge crown loss........my moment of reckoning would come from the overhead Walmart cameras as I was walking out the store. I'd think I looked "decent" from the front, then watch the "sky cam" as I left and whoa!!!!! I wondered, "hey, who's that guy with the HUGE shiner"! Really, really sucked. icon_mad.gif

Pushing.....granted, as I've said before, HT's are expensive. However, it's a LIFELONG investment and if hair loss bothers you at all it's likely one of the best you'll ever make.

Best of luck. Keep us posted!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'd think I looked "decent" from the front, then watch the "sky cam" as I left and whoa!!!!! I wondered, "hey, who's that guy with the HUGE shiner"! Really, really sucked

LOL...I can relate to this one....it still happens from time to time. I think I look ok from the front most the time (depending on lighting) and then all of the sudden, I catch a glimpse of myself in an angled mirror at the gym from slightly overhead and I don't even believe it's me...and then I'm like...damn, that is me. Sh**!

Well I will always have a thin crown, but hopefully once this HT comes in, it won't be as obvious =).

Bill

A lot of good words from a lot of good men. I appreciate it. And, that being said, maybe I should "come clean" with you guys. I am trying to avoid getting on a plane. I survived a plane crash in Kenya and a helicopter crash in Venezuela and I just CANNOT seem to get myself back on a plane. Twenty years in the Air Force and I always hated flying; couldn't stand it. Kind of ironic huh? But, after that helo went down I just couldn't take it anymore. Really sucks because I love to travel and want to take my kids to see some of the things around the world I've seen. Anyway, I don't think the txplant is enough to get me back on a plane. So, there ya have it. Please keep the snickering to a minimum if at all possible. icon_rolleyes.gif

pushing,

Wow...I can see why you wouldn't want to get on a plane. That must have been very traumatic for you. I am sure that if I were in your shoes, I'd really fear getting on a plane again too. Thanks for trusting us with this information. I will not be snickering from this end.

Regarding a transplant, however, you could consider a very long drive/train ride/bus ride as long as you are willing to take the time off to travel to and from. Honestly, as long as you wait in airports now adays, it might be more pleasant taking the train or a greyhound bus or something.

Bill

yo, pushing 40- back in the day, I had an aircraft accident during Air Force pilot training. Partly because I was too full of testosterone to be scared and because my squadron commander strongly suggested that I fly the next day, which I did , I never had any demons. I'm convinced that if I had taken time off to get my mind right, I probably would have never flown again. Which is what I do today.

Most of us have phobias. Mine is rats----I'll squeal like a little girl if I see one.

Whooooo, I feel better getting that off my chest. Cheers

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

pushing,

I'm with Bill.......If those things had happened to me I'd likely have been permanently grounded for the rest of my life.

Depending on what kind of trip it would be for you and where you're considering the HT, I'd consider traveling by car or train. Though I flew by plane to Vancouver for my HT, I had to drive 4 hours to and from the airport for the HT. I had no pain from the HT that would have prevented me from doing this and I traveled the day after surgery.

What state are you traveling from and where would you be getting the HT......have you made a choice?? I can't remember.

Chin up, mate!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Be careful, I have straight hair and my HT did not go as planned. I believe that not slicking my hair back (like my doctor does) had something to do with it. He even mentioned that my hairstyle was unique compared to "most guys" because they combed it straight back. I thought that was a pretty weak excuse on his part. Be careful, these things don't always turn out as rosy as planned.

Hey guys. well, I scheduled an in office consult with Dr. Feller on 04 Jan. We'll see how that goes and what he has to say. (I can drive there; I'm in Maryland icon_wink.gif MM, who did your surgery? I read back thru some of your posts but you never said and there are no photos. I've been trying to look thru as many of Feller's patient photos on here as I can; appears to be good work. But, again, if I can't get a VERY VERY natural look from this I'm not doing it. Might be a problem that I want to wear it long? We'll see I guess.

EXACTLY RIGHT. If you don't think you have a Doctor that will give you a natural look, don't do it. You and the Doctor must be on the same page PRIOR to your HT. "Measure twice and cut once" Cheers

Been on this forum for a year and also have reviewed most all of the Dr's websites so I think I know most of the questions I need to ask during a consult. But here's some I'm not sure about: do most Dr's have a larger file of photos to review at their offices? Do they have a list of patients who have volunteered to show themselves as examples? What is the average wait time for an appt with these top docs? If I decide to go forward, I was hoping to get it done in Jan as I start back to school at the end of Jan.

I imagine that most of the coalition Doctors are booked thru January at this date. However, if you have flexibility for travel plans, there are often cancellations. Let the staff at your choice of Doctor know your situation and I'm sure they will try to work with you. My experience with Doctors in general is they want a full schedule when working and lots of days off for their golf game :-)

Pushing,

"Do most Dr's have a larger file of photos to review at their offices?"

Hard to answer definitely, but I'd put money on "yes". I know the docs I have seen do.

"Do they have a list of patients who have volunteered to show themselves as examples?"

It depends on the doc and certainly I can't answer for them...but I know Hasson and Wong do and many other docs do...some even referred to as "Hair Mentors".

"What is the average wait time...?"

Just a guess...but I'd say the minimum would most likely be 3 months, but I'd give it a range from 3-6 months for some of the top docs.

January is only 7 days away dude...seems unlikely that you will be able to book a session that quickly. BESIDES, I recommend giving yourself some time to do scalp exercies, at least a full month. Just my thoughts.

Bill

Well, I just transferred $15K into my checking account; that means I've decided to stop procrastinating and go for it. With who? I dunno yet, but Im ready to go.. icon_eek.gif I've been researching this for almost two years now and in the last few weeks I've forced myself to face the fact that even though I'm terrified, I REALLY want this and I'm confident there are Docs that can do it. Hell, if Hasson could get me in next week, I'd start driving right now. Unfortunately, it looks like it may be a long wait for the top docs. Which sucks, because even though I seldom jump into anything, once I decide to do something, I want to get it done asap. I sure hope I'm making the right decision. One thing I do know, I am not happy with my hair/appearance as it is now. I want to be one of the one-time-and-your-done guys. I'm already starting to worry about shockloss but having been on Propecia for almost a year maybe I'll get lucky and avoid most of it. Keep your fingers crossed for me guys!

Pushing,

I appreciate that you've taken your time to do your homework and didn't simply jump into anything. Try to remain patient though and book with the doctor you are most comfortable with. Also, think about doing the scalp exercises for a full month before surgery...start today. It should really help your graft yield.

I wish you a Merry Christmas filled with future hair icon_wink.gif

Bill

Thanks Bill. I started those exercises yesterday. I have a question for you guys: let's say I wanted to go with someone requiring a long trip...ie Hasson or Shapiro. Would it be important to go out for an in person eval and then go back for the procedure or is it ok to do photo consult and just meet with them the morning of procedure? What do you think?

All I did prior to my H&W surgery is provide them with emailed photos. Your case looks pretty simple, so I doubt you need an in-person consultation. Worst case scenario is that you arrive and they say they can't do it.

IMO, if you can't fly you are better off going to Dr Feller. Vancouver is an enormous drive from NY, and you would have to drive back in post-op condition, which can include swelling around the eyes.

Give Dr Feller a call and go for an in person consultation.

My HT Blog

I look simple? Damn that's what my wife always says too icon_razz.gif Thanks for the info. I'd like to keep the trips to a minimum. Biscuit I went thru your blog again and damn what a difference. I think I have more hair in front starting out than you so I can't even imagine where Dr Hasson would put the 4000 graphs he has recommended to me. I think my expectations are below what can actually be provided in the way of results so maybe that's a good thing. I was kind of just hoping to at least be able to get that little separated area between the middle and forlock filled back in but maybe I'll come out better than that. If I get impatient, maybe I'll just run up the street to Bosley icon_biggrin.gif Then again maybe NOT!

Here's something funny: my wife and I were talking about this earlier. She doesn't really care about my hair and doesn't want it to be a big deal to me either. So, I said "well, imagine you had always had those big boobs you want and then lost them. Wouldn't you want them back?" She says "yeah I guess so. But now you try to imagine never having grown hair in the first place". It took me a second but I thought that was funny as hell.

I think that most doctors are going to assume that the island of hair up front is pretty much doomed, so they calculate coverage needed in that area as well. You'd be surprised how sparse it looks when shaved down to a #1.

But you have what looks to be excellent donor and straight fairly thick hair, so that makes your surgery much more "simple" than some patients. So tell your wife she's right icon_smile.gif

My HT Blog

Online consult photos should be fine. Keep in mind, however, that the number of grafts are just an estimate. Dr. Hasson or whomever you choose may obtain more or less grafts depending on laxity, etc. BUT...you won't need to go in for an in person consult first, unless for some reason the clinic recommends it. My consult with Dr. Hasson was done online...saw him for the first time surgery morning.

Bill