Severe Shock Loss in the Donor Area

Dear Fellow Hair Loss Comrades:

I need your expert advice on my current situation. I'm four weeks post-op (3600 grafts) and have recently noticed that I am experiencing excessive shock loss in the donor area (photos attached). I suppose that it can be classified as severe; however, I fear that I might be the rare case in which the hair in the donor area does not grow back. I know it's a bit early but the bare skin appears to resemble a terrible burn.

Am I being paranoid or should I be concerned?

Bare_Donor_Scar_II.jpg.18120ef5ac3cf562160bb850ae9ecb03.jpg

Dear Fellow Hair Loss Comrades:

I need your expert advice on my current situation. I'm four weeks post-op (3600 grafts) and have recently noticed that I am experiencing excessive shock loss in the donor area (photos attached). I suppose that it can be classified as severe; however, I fear that I might be the rare case in which the hair in the donor area does not grow back. I know it's a bit early but the bare skin appears to resemble a terrible burn.

Am I being paranoid or should I be concerned?

Gibraltar,

Did you check back with your doctor, it looks pretty red still, could be some sort of infection? Also, has it been itching? It looks pretty bad, who was your doc?

Maybe one of the coalition docs can comment if you are not comfortable going back to your doc.

NoBuzz

It looks horrible; however, it doesn't itch at all. Still waiting to hear back from the doctor, who by the way comes highly recommended on this forum. I trust I'll hear from the doctor soon, but wanted to get the thoughts of those who experienced similar shock loss.

Thanks, Spex:

Your response eased my nerves a bit. I've got it bad on both sides of my head - attached is a shot of the left side of my head. It feels like I'm stretching the respected donor areas when I make any sort of facial expression. I wonder if this also might have something to do with the severe loss. I can't explain the redness (tenderness), however. To the touch, the area feels like a second degree burn.

Unfortunately I had to stop using Minox as I suffered from every side effect on listed on the label. What is "MSM"? Thanks again.

Gibraltar

Temp_Shock_Loss1.jpg.43c6451668b314d4143726b27c357588.jpg

You should be going back to your doc TODAY if you are experiencing that much redness and inflammation!!!!

Do not DELAY!!!!!

Do not be put off by a receptionist either!!!!!

The shockloss is common, but coupled with the inflammation and soreness is a bit odd for my liking.

I would be on the VERY safe side and get back in there.

Let us know how this turns out!!!

Good Luck and sorry for your hardship!!!!

PS. I think I read something somewhere that if the hair and edges of the incision were not prepped correctly that when closed they can cause this type of reaction as well. I could be wrong, but I would make sure bud.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hi...I'd agree, regarding the inflammation; I too think I had a little shockloss near the scar (very little, and I had to hunt to find it), all of which grew back quickly...but I'd be more concerned about the soreness; health trumps aesthetics...

Benjamin

Thanks for your concern BSpot. Unfortunately I'd have to get on a plane to meet with the doctor. After reviewing the photos of the side of my head, the doctor prescribed antibiotics to counter the infection/inflammation. The institute also confirmed my fear that there is a 10% chance the lost hair in the donor area might not grow back; I won't find out until the 9-12 month mark. Needless to say, I'm a bit bummed.

• Administrators

Gibraltar,

Sorry to see you are having both irritation and shockloss in your donor area. I would normally agree with Spex in trying minoxidal. But given that your skin seems to be irritated it would probally not be advisable.

Perhaps healing lotions such as aloe vera/vitamin E etc would be more appropriate. I'm two weeks post op and I also have some redness and tenderness along my donor sutured area. I may also get some shock loss. But I do expect that it will grow back in 3 to 4 months as Spex was kind enough to demonstrate in his photos.

I agree that you should contact your physician. I would expect him or her to suggest some kind of topical application to speed your healing. You might also consider taking more vitimin E in the coming weeks as it enhances healing.

I just got my staples out yesterday courtesy of Dr. Bauman in Boca Raton (oh, what a relief it is to have them out of my head). So now I've experienced both stiches and staples. In my experience the staples actually seemed to produce less itching than the stitches. But they were more uncomfortable to have removed.

Did you have stitches or staples?

Please let us know what your surgeon advices. Best wishes for rapid healing and congratulations on your large session.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Thanks, Pat. You run a great site. I just started on the antibiotics and will apply the Aloe Vera gel once I get home. I trust the gel will cool down the warm sensation I'm feeling in the infected/inflamed. I had stitches and while my donor area feels awfully tight, I trust the laxity will return in the coming weeks. I'll keep you guys posted.

Gibraltar

Gibraltar,

Sorry to hear about your situation. I too did have a little shock loss in the donor site but it did eventually grow back. Unfortunately even the best of surgeons can't always predict what is going to happen. You have been given some good advise in terms of the Aloe and the vitamin E. You could even break the E capsules and put directly on the skin. Definitely NO minoxidol as it will certainly irritate the skin and possibly make things worse. Avoid itching or touching as this may aggrevate and add to shock loss. I too am a huge believer in the negative effects of stress so try to avoid worrying about it too much. I'm sure all will work out.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Gibraltar,

I hope you are feeling better, Pat and Nervous have given you great advice. I agree that minoxidil is bad advice here since it looked like you had infection in that area. The antibiotics are the most important in that case and the healing lotions will assist too.

Get better my friend and try not to lift anything heavy or do anything which could cause scar stretching. You say your scalp is tight, just curious how large a session did you have? How was you laxity going in? Who was your doctor? PM me if you like.

NoBuzz

"The institute also confirmed my fear that there is a 10% chance the lost hair in the donor area might not grow back"

Where did they get the 10% figure? I surely don't know everything, but I never heard this before. In my experience of viewing people's photos and having surgeries, I can't remember a case where donor hair didn't come back when shocked. The donor area does look a bit irritated, but not TERRIBLE from what I can tell. Just tend to the area with what the clinic prescribes...also Aloe or Vitamin E would be a good choice too (but check with the clinic)...but in my non-professional opinion, I don't see any reason why this hair won't grow back.

Bill

It must be psychological, but I do feel better after taking the antibiotics - thanks for asking. The tension in the donor area on the sides of my head is pretty intense. I may have to resume taking Tylenol to address the discomfort.

I had a two day, 3600 graft procedure. I had consultations at a few clinics; the doctors indicated that they would be able to harvest between 3500 to 4000 grafts based on the laxity of my donor area. I went with the doctor I felt most comfortable with.

I previously had two procedures done at Bosley (1200 in 1999 and 1600 in 2001). I learned my lesson and did not return as I was not entirely happy with the results. I thought I finish off my donor supply at a respected clinic, but I hope that I don't regret my decision.

Two days for a strip procedure? Never heard of that, how did that take so long? Did you stay overnight at the clinic?

Also, my donor healed pretty well in a week with the pain subsiding in a few days. Some people just heal faster than others, maybe I am just fortunate in that respect.

After four weeks, I would still be a bit concerned if you still need a painkiller. Did you use ice packs the few days following the procedure? Did you or do you still have any swelling? Just glad you are on the antibiotics, I am sure in time you will heal just fine.

NoBuzz

Is the side your experiencing discomfort in the side they worked on the 1st day or the 2nd day?

I remember Dr. Keene doing larger graft sessions over two days, but I remember speaking with a few others about how uncomfortable that made me feel. I am not sure if she still uses this method or not--maybe Gorpy can check this out?

Anyway, I think you may possibly have an infection or some type of reaction to whatever methodology was being used on you, so I would get to your doc if possible, or another Doc immediately.

Not a scare tactic, but just want you to really be OK, you know what I mean?

I just remembered that you said you would have to fly to see your Doc, so what I would do is have them arrange a visit to a respected dermatologist/HT Doc in your the area, (with your clinic footing the visit fee, of course), just to make sure there is nothing amiss.

I would like to see a positive resolution to this issue, to be sure.

PM me if you like.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Originally posted by Bill:

"The institute also confirmed my fear that there is a 10% chance the lost hair in the donor area might not grow back"

Where did they get the 10% figure? I surely don't know everything, but I never heard this before. In my experience of viewing people's photos and having surgeries, I can't remember a case where donor hair didn't come back when shocked. The donor area does look a bit irritated, but not TERRIBLE from what I can tell. Just tend to the area with what the clinic prescribes...also Aloe or Vitamin E would be a good choice too (but check with the clinic)...but in my non-professional opinion, I don't see any reason why this hair won't grow back.

Hello, Bill:

I think there's at least one person on this forum who might have experienced permanent hair loss in the donor area. I can't confirm this; however, "Jay T" has not posted since he shared a photo of his bare patch in September of this year. I understand that he was at the 7 or 9 month mark with no regrowth. Have yet to hear back from him; hope everything worked out for him.

Bill