Info on the DHI method + 30 year old and Norwood 2

I read a previous topic on DHI's type of FEU and having recently had a consultation with them thought I'd post this.

In a nutshell the consultant was honest and told me that it was too soon to be looking at this type of method as the transplanted hair would draw blood to it from the existing hairs behind it and that this would just increase the loss of the remaining hair; obviously resulting in quicker overall hair loss. Dont know if anybody has heard this said before or is it just common sense? And does strip surgery result in the same side effects?

He told me to wait 5 years. Obviously this was not what I wanted to hear as it means my pulling fit birds will continue to plummet at a rate exponentially to the height my forehead is growing.

Prior to the consultation they did explain to me in a telephone conversation that their instruments were of a smaller diameter to those everybody else uses which means they grow at more life like angles than everybodyelses and can be spaced closer. Not sure if all of this is true just what I got told.

Below are quotes direct fom the website:

"GUARANTEE

Remember the D.H.I. procedure does not involve the processes commonly known as "strip extraction" or "hair plugs". There is no cutting and/or removal of any skin from your scalp or the implantation of "hair plugs" that give an unnatural appearance and results in no stitches or unsightly scarring.

At our DHI clinics, you will always be welcome to observe 'live' hair transplant sessions and we will arrange for you to meet and speak with satisfied DHI clients to help remove any doubts you may have about starting with your hair restoration treatment.

Before you consider another hair restoration company, ask yourself these questions:

Do they offer a 100% written guarantee, not only for their results but also the naturalness of the resulting hair?

DHI guarantees the growth of all hairs placed during the D.H.I. procedure. We offer to count the hairs 12 and 18 months following the procedure in the recipient area. We agree to replace any hairs that have not grown by then free of charge

CLONING

Hair follicle cloning is an exciting concept that is still in the early development stage. Other possible future innovations may include automatic devices in the unit implantation process. Research is being conducted on the genetic code of the hair follicle and we are proud to have the leading scientist of this research project on our board : Prof. Jung-Chul Kim of the Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Korea. Dr Yung Chul Kim, one of the world's most authoritative figures in the research of human DNA, hair follicle cloning and hair multiplication visits DHI in November for the collaboration of various research projects. We are pleased to announce that our longstanding and much respected colleague Dr Jung Chul Kim (PhD) of Seoul University will be with us again in early November. For many years we have worked closely with Dr Kim and followed his hair multiplication and follicle cloning research projects carefully. We will be able to update you his projects and results very soon and we look forward to sharing some of his unique scientific insights with you. Dr Kim and the DHI research and development scientific team will present a number of fascinating findings at lecture sessions throughout November"

That might be of interest.

I'm 30, vain and I think I'm Norwood 2 with dense hair. I've never had any work done although I tried Propecia and Minoxidil about 14 months ago and my hair-loss stopped, although this was not the first time I had experienced it as I suffered it after a brain tumour 9 years prior. Unfortunately I made the schoolboy error of stopping both treatments after six months because the hair loss had stopped.

Six months after stopping, the hair loss was back and mother nature wanted her revenge. I'm losing at least 200 a day now and I can barely see hair in my rear view mirror.

I have purchased some Minoxidil and generic finastrede since then and have been using these for about 10 days. I've not experienced any noticeable benefit to these as yet but they are now as popular in my house as a whisky and ice.

I'd appreciate some advice and opinions on my options of any surgery.

For some reason I can only attach one photo and cant figure out URL links to things in my hard-drive.

picture2.JPG.e19b2c0873083fe76a4bca62a59ed4a0.JPG

I read a previous topic on DHI's type of FEU and having recently had a consultation with them thought I'd post this.

In a nutshell the consultant was honest and told me that it was too soon to be looking at this type of method as the transplanted hair would draw blood to it from the existing hairs behind it and that this would just increase the loss of the remaining hair; obviously resulting in quicker overall hair loss. Dont know if anybody has heard this said before or is it just common sense? And does strip surgery result in the same side effects?

He told me to wait 5 years. Obviously this was not what I wanted to hear as it means my pulling fit birds will continue to plummet at a rate exponentially to the height my forehead is growing.

Prior to the consultation they did explain to me in a telephone conversation that their instruments were of a smaller diameter to those everybody else uses which means they grow at more life like angles than everybodyelses and can be spaced closer. Not sure if all of this is true just what I got told.

Below are quotes direct fom the website:

"GUARANTEE

Remember the D.H.I. procedure does not involve the processes commonly known as "strip extraction" or "hair plugs". There is no cutting and/or removal of any skin from your scalp or the implantation of "hair plugs" that give an unnatural appearance and results in no stitches or unsightly scarring.

At our DHI clinics, you will always be welcome to observe 'live' hair transplant sessions and we will arrange for you to meet and speak with satisfied DHI clients to help remove any doubts you may have about starting with your hair restoration treatment.

Before you consider another hair restoration company, ask yourself these questions:

Do they offer a 100% written guarantee, not only for their results but also the naturalness of the resulting hair?

DHI guarantees the growth of all hairs placed during the D.H.I. procedure. We offer to count the hairs 12 and 18 months following the procedure in the recipient area. We agree to replace any hairs that have not grown by then free of charge

CLONING

Hair follicle cloning is an exciting concept that is still in the early development stage. Other possible future innovations may include automatic devices in the unit implantation process. Research is being conducted on the genetic code of the hair follicle and we are proud to have the leading scientist of this research project on our board : Prof. Jung-Chul Kim of the Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Korea. Dr Yung Chul Kim, one of the world's most authoritative figures in the research of human DNA, hair follicle cloning and hair multiplication visits DHI in November for the collaboration of various research projects. We are pleased to announce that our longstanding and much respected colleague Dr Jung Chul Kim (PhD) of Seoul University will be with us again in early November. For many years we have worked closely with Dr Kim and followed his hair multiplication and follicle cloning research projects carefully. We will be able to update you his projects and results very soon and we look forward to sharing some of his unique scientific insights with you. Dr Kim and the DHI research and development scientific team will present a number of fascinating findings at lecture sessions throughout November"

That might be of interest.

I'm 30, vain and I think I'm Norwood 2 with dense hair. I've never had any work done although I tried Propecia and Minoxidil about 14 months ago and my hair-loss stopped, although this was not the first time I had experienced it as I suffered it after a brain tumour 9 years prior. Unfortunately I made the schoolboy error of stopping both treatments after six months because the hair loss had stopped.

Six months after stopping, the hair loss was back and mother nature wanted her revenge. I'm losing at least 200 a day now and I can barely see hair in my rear view mirror.

I have purchased some Minoxidil and generic finastrede since then and have been using these for about 10 days. I've not experienced any noticeable benefit to these as yet but they are now as popular in my house as a whisky and ice.

I'd appreciate some advice and opinions on my options of any surgery.

For some reason I can only attach one photo and cant figure out URL links to things in my hard-drive.

Losing 100-200 hairs a day is average, even for those not suffering from MPB. So what's the problem, really, and where do you want to have work done? It doesn't look like you need a transplant at all and NW2 is simply a mature hairline, not cause for hair restoration unless there's fraying at the frontal edge or temples, and little chance of further hair loss. You also need to get some sense of what your final balding pattern might be so that you can develop a long-term plan for restoration and use your limited donor supply to ensure the best coverage for a lifetime. I doubt any ethical doctor would touch you unless your photos are not revealing something we all need to see to give you better advice. As for DHI, I've never heard of them and they sound like a chain ("At our DHI clinics..."), so I'd stay away. I also wouldn't fall for a "written guarantee" gimmick; any ethical doctor will stand behind their work and replace grafts that might not grow at no additional charge to you. If you're interested in the Follicular Unit Extraction procedure as opposed to strip, I'd research Drs. Bernstein, Rassman, Feller. You also shouldn't be diagnosed by a consultant but should be meeting with the doctor himself who will perform the surgery. Stay on Propecia and minoxidil if they worked for you well in the past.

Cheers man but I guess that's what I'm asking. Is it too soon for anything to be done ?

Though with due respect I know its more than normal what I've been experiencing.

Everytime I eat there are hairs all over the food, if I put my hands through my hair a dozen come out. There was over 150 in the shower alone the other day.

I am aware it may seem early for this but Im in a uk band and I don't want to become the token hat/bandana wearer.

Obviously my idea is to have work done filling in both temples and the natural curve to the front, if possible, before the recession becomes apparent to people.

The plan then would be to continue with propecia and minoxidil thereafter and maybe have fill in work further down the line.

I've uploaded another picture which might help people form an opinion.

I don't have an aversion to strip surgery; again I just don't know if it would be the same problem whereby it accelerates the hair loss around it.

today1.jpg.db96f7ee9b86c13025733106d37d5c02.jpg

Cantona,

I sympathize with where you're at and had the same concerns with image and nearly identical recession that I started noticing around 30 years old. That being said, the last couple of years (I'm now 34) were difficult for me in that I had to wait until I lost enough frontal hair to make getting a procedure viable. I doubt that anyone but me really noticed the loss since my hair is long and typically styled down and forward, but the gradual erosion was very slow and very irritating to me. I had 1150 grafts transplanted by strip procedure to the frontal hairline in May, and since I only had 5-10% of my native hair left in that region, my surgeon, Dr. True, felt confident that I would see a nice net benefit even if I lost those remaining hairs as a result of the procedure (if you haven't already, search this forum for "shock loss" to begin understanding the primary risk people with minimal hair loss face when considering a transplant). Who knows, I may have acted too quickly, but so far I've seen very minimal to imperceptible shock loss and won't know what the final result will be until next spring. Having looked at your latest picture, I'd say that you're about where I was 4 years ago. I'm just afraid that you have too much hair left in the front to warrant a transplant, and if your final balding pattern could be extensive, you don't want to bring the hairline down from its current position because you'll expend many valuable grafts that you might need later. If you're in the UK, I know that Dr. Feller has a former patient there who consults with prospective patients. He posts regularly to this forum and goes by the handle "spex". You should do a search for his posts and get in touch with him. Many guys from the UK seem to be coming to Feller in Long Island, New York, and the general consensus on this board is that you should stay away from surgeons in the UK and travel for your procedure if you choose to have one. I think "spex" and Dr. Feller can give you a better sense of long-range planning than you've received so far, and New York has several other excellent doctors--Bernstein, True (my surgeon), and Dorin (Dr. True's partner). If you can make it to New York, perhaps you can consult with all of them in person in a few days' time. If not, I'm sure you can do virtual consultations with each if you take good, clear pictures and explain your situation/concerns to them. If you're interested, I've also been documenting my case photographically and you can search my handle to find my pictures. Some of my commenters even thought I had too much hair to warrant a procedure. My immediately post-op pictures should give you a good sense of what the hairline's final contours will look like.

Cantona... I just had 400 (they underestimated and it actually came out to 491 hehe!) transplanted to my head by Dr. Cooley...

Just on the temples to fill it in. My reasoning?: I'm 23, fuck it, I'd rather look good during the best years of my life, and shitty during my old ones, instead of just "meh" the whole way through.

So if you wanna think along that line of reasoning, I say go for it.

The way you style your hair in the 1st/2nd pic makes your hair look real thick as is... But If you want to feel better when you swim or pull your hair back, I say get it done man.

Arson, what was your prognosis for final Norwood pattern? Surprised to hear Cooley would do so little on someone so young, but perhaps he's more aggressive than has been reported previously. Your reasoning makes sense if you're destined for no further than a 3/3V (though that's difficult to determine until you're 25-30). Otherwise, I'd say it's very bad reasoning in general to suggest to somebody. Tell us what Cooley had to say about it, both in terms of his general approach and specifically in terms of shock loss.... If you have photos, it would help to see those, too, so we can see what you're talking about.

Cantona,

I'm also in the UK, I have to say looking at your situation I dont think you need a HT at all. I dont think you want to add any density as it would be practically impossible to add any density without shaving your hair first and even then you may lose more due to shockloss than you get transplanted. So unless you want to have a lower hairline Im not sure where else you are going to want to place the grafts.

If you want to get some good personal advice you should contact Spex who is a showcase patient of Doctor Fellers and you can get his contact details from his website at: http://www.hairhelp.myzen.co.uk/

Good Luck, let us know what you finally decide on. BTW do not go to DHI or any other hair-mill, the doctors in the UK do not compare with the doctors in the US. I travelled to the US to have my HT done, if I were you I would do the same if you end up deciding to have one.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

L'Anonyme... Well, he wasn't so into the idea and warned me. He said I was young and still could have hairloss around my grafts...

But my case is different, I've been waiting around for a procedure for 5 years... My hairloss was all receded on only one side, giving a completely unnatural look as is. Not even your typical mature hairline... More like a huge circular hole out of nowhere, on one side only. So I guess he sympathized with my story and reasoning to do it after some discussion.

Originally posted by JakeVig:

Cantona,

I'm also in the UK, I have to say looking at your situation I dont think you need a HT at all. I dont think you want to add any density as it would be practically impossible to add any density without shaving your hair first and even then you may lose more due to shockloss than you get transplanted. So unless you want to have a lower hairline Im not sure where else you are going to want to place the grafts.

If you want to get some good personal advice you should contact Spex who is a showcase patient of Doctor Fellers and you can get his contact details from his website at: http://www.hairhelp.myzen.co.uk/

Good Luck, let us know what you finally decide on. BTW do not go to DHI or any other hair-mill, the doctors in the UK do not compare with the doctors in the US. I travelled to the US to have my HT done, if I were you I would do the same if you end up deciding to have one.

Yeah I reckon I'd wind-up going to America to have it done judging by what I've read. I'll contact "Spex" to get some more information, cheers.

Though I'm not looking to add density just to restore my natural hairline.

Originally posted by L'Anonyme:

Cantona,

I sympathize with where you're at and had the same concerns with image and nearly identical recession that I started noticing around 30 years old. That being said, the last couple of years (I'm now 34) were difficult for me in that I had to wait until I lost enough frontal hair to make getting a procedure viable. I doubt that anyone but me really noticed the loss since my hair is long and typically styled down and forward, but the gradual erosion was very slow and very irritating to me. I had 1150 grafts transplanted by strip procedure to the frontal hairline in May, and since I only had 5-10% of my native hair left in that region, my surgeon, Dr. True, felt confident that I would see a nice net benefit even if I lost those remaining hairs as a result of the procedure (if you haven't already, search this forum for "shock loss" to begin understanding the primary risk people with minimal hair loss face when considering a transplant). Who knows, I may have acted too quickly, but so far I've seen very minimal to imperceptible shock loss and won't know what the final result will be until next spring. Having looked at your latest picture, I'd say that you're about where I was 4 years ago. I'm just afraid that you have too much hair left in the front to warrant a transplant, and if your final balding pattern could be extensive, you don't want to bring the hairline down from its current position because you'll expend many valuable grafts that you might need later. If you're in the UK, I know that Dr. Feller has a former patient there who consults with prospective patients. He posts regularly to this forum and goes by the handle "spex". You should do a search for his posts and get in touch with him. Many guys from the UK seem to be coming to Feller in Long Island, New York, and the general consensus on this board is that you should stay away from surgeons in the UK and travel for your procedure if you choose to have one. I think "spex" and Dr. Feller can give you a better sense of long-range planning than you've received so far, and New York has several other excellent doctors--Bernstein, True (my surgeon), and Dorin (Dr. True's partner). If you can make it to New York, perhaps you can consult with all of them in person in a few days' time. If not, I'm sure you can do virtual consultations with each if you take good, clear pictures and explain your situation/concerns to them. If you're interested, I've also been documenting my case photographically and you can search my handle to find my pictures. Some of my commenters even thought I had too much hair to warrant a procedure. My immediately post-op pictures should give you a good sense of what the hairline's final contours will look like.

Sound for that. I have a lot of research to do on the type of procedure and the dangers of shock loss and accelerated loss around it. How do I search for your photos though mate?

• Administrators

Cantona,

The above posters have provided what I think is excellent advice.

You've got hair that most on this forum would envy. Take your time and continue your research.

And rest easy knowing that if in time you need to restore your hairline it can be done right.

All the best, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

I disagree with those that would encourage Cantona to move forward with getting a procedure.

Cantona, as Pat mentioned, you have hair now that we all envy. I know that losing your temple points is stressful but you are simply experiencing the natural progression from a juvenile hairline to that of a mature adult male. Very few people actually keep this hairline throughout their lives.

One thing that is not discussed very much on the boards is temple angle closure of the caliber that you seek. Here is the problem with this approach.

Hairline reconstruction is permanent. The hair in your new hairline will be very healthy and of the strongest caliber. Should you even BEGIN to thin in the crown after having aggressive temple angle closure your profile will look off balance and front heavy. I am not referring to heavy crown loss, I am referring to even the slightest of thinning. I have seen it several times now over the past couple of years from meeting with patients that have had this type of procedure and while it took me a while to figure out what was not quite right about the work I was seeing it suddenly hit me and now stands out like a sore thumb. I liken it to trying to figure out what isn't quite right about someone wearing even the best of hair systems. If not 100% perfect then the eye will catch something that is "off".

Some will argue that there are those that maintain their original juvenile hairlines but do thin in the back. I have been presented with examples such as Prince Charles, Al Gore and a few others. These are exceptions to the rule however there is one big difference. While they may have their original hairlines the hair in this area is miniturized and less dense than when they were young. In other words, the progession of the hair itself has over time matched the progression in the back, not so much with recession, but with overall thinning. This pattern is more prevalent with Southeast Asians or those of Persian descent. Orginal hairlines remain but they are very thin and diffused with accelerated hairloss behind, even to the point of full NW6.

The rarest of the rare individuals that maintain their original juvenile hairlines are those like Ronald Reagan. His hairline was intact throughout his life until his untimely demise. He had NO miniturization in the hairline and NO thinning in the crown.

Your hair is awesome as it is. It is very full, very thick and simply cannot be improved upon. Any doctor that offers an improvement should be the catalyst for an about face and a brisk walk toward the door. You are experiencing NO male pattern baldness. None, zilch, nada. If you must, for peace of mind, use medications such as Proscar and/or Rogaine to maintain what you have but do no more than that. If in fact your do begin to see signs of recession then and ONLY then should you move forward with your investigation into which clinic is for you. I work for what some would say is the premier clinic in the industry and I am telling you, do NOT consider hair surgery. Yours is the pinnacle of what we all strive to achieve yet will never be able to fully realize; A completely full head of hair. Enjoy it.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians