HT in crown and front?

Spursman

Hi

i am thinking of getting a HT. i dont like to look at the back of my head but i did the other day and i think i would need to have some HT done in my crown as well as the front.

can this be done? is it advisable?

Hi

i am thinking of getting a HT. i dont like to look at the back of my head but i did the other day and i think i would need to have some HT done in my crown as well as the front.

can this be done? is it advisable?

Spur, most of us sufferers choose to optimize the frontal region, with a "plan" to at least hit the crown. If you are a NW5 or higher you could think about starting from the middle out, as opposed to front to back, etc... Of course, this depends solely on your physiology, and your surgeon to devise the correct treatment program, specific to you. Maybe you could post some pictures, or find out the area of coverage needed for front, mid-scalp, and crown areas. (ie. 50 cm/2 in the crown, nothing midscalp, and 40 cm/2 in front). After that you can think about the density you are looking for, and go from there. This will also help you orient yourself as to the amount of grafts needed versus donor supply when you have go to a consultation. Hope this helps you out!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Spurs-

I agree with B spot, I think it is wise to concentrate on the front first and when you are happy with those results move your way to the back. I have had a couple of HT's on my front and midscalp and am happy with it. Am getting one more Ht this summer and that will concentrate in the midscalp to the crown, filling in the midscalp and using the rest to attack the crown.

Take a look at some of the websites of surgeon's listed hear. You can click on coalition surgeons at the top to get theirs...........or go to the photo albums here to see before and after pics. Look for pics having a similar pattern of loss to you. This will give a better idea of what you can expect.

Everyone is different on this. Like B spot said, several prefer to concentrate on "framing the face" in front before going to the rear. I had a little work done on front but and focusing on crown first for my 2nd HT the will go forward as I have more...........I've got what I would call a baseball (maybe softball) sized bald spot on the crown and I hate it.

If you can post some pics of yourself it would help to give an opinion.

As far as it being done, you should be able to have the HT grafts placed on crown and in front. Crown has shown to come in a little slower than top/front but the end result should be the same. Results can vary depending on the amount and type of donor hair you have available.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Bank, where are you at in Illinois? Maybe after your surgery we can meet up and talk shop a bit? I moved over the border to Indiana, but I am only 30 min from Chicago. PM me if you want.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Spot,

I sent you a PM.............get back to me when you can.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Post some pictures. That is the best way to get good advise.

I know many doctors concentrate on framing the face and leaving the crown.

That is due to the donor limitation. With the advent of body hair transplants, however, it is possible to go for more real restorations.

What is your body hair like?

Alternatively, you can plan to go for less number of grafts thinly transplanted in all areas and then cutting the hair to #2/3. It will give an illusion of coverage.

Just a few ideas.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

GP,

I didn't get to do a face-to-face meeting so it's one of those "wait and see" things. From what my first HT doc said, I have excellent donor hair when it comes to supply and density. I told Mike @ H&W to have Dr. Wong get as many as he can..........we're thinking it will be between 3500 & 5000.

I've got a big "B" spot so I think it'll take at least 3000 to fill it the way I want. If he gets more I'm going to have some hairline work done and thicken the top.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

you should consider that any transplants into the crown will leave you at risk in case you lose hair rapidly. 3000 into crown may leave little for the remainder if you do progress.

Finallyfree,

I've had 1200 in the front/top area already and while I'd like it thicker it gives me decent coverage..........the first assessment of my donor hair was that I'd have no problem with supply but I guess you never know.

If I only get 3000 this time in the crown, I'm thinking I'll at the least have another 2000-3000 for top/front/temple fill it. My hope is Dr. Wong hits a home run and gets 5000+ and does some front/temple work in addition to the crown.

Any thoughts on this?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Bank, I think you have the right guy doing the crown, that's for sure!!!! If you have the ability to move 8,000+ grafts out of your donor area, you should be fine with the plan you have set up. 3000 in the crown, properly placed, should at least give coverage at 15cm/2 at the thinnest and 50 cm/2 at the fullest point. I would not spread them evenly, rather, I would divide the crown into 3 equal parts (going down)and pack the top part with 1500, then 1000, then 500 (hypothetical #'s) because as your hair grows out it will lay over and cover up any thinner parts. If you have 90 cm/2 to cover, divide that into three equal parts, to get density numbers using 3000. I think instead of an overall density of 30cm/2, I would choose to position the hair so that when it grows out, I can basically arrange it to look fuller. I am sure Dr. Wong has spoken to you about placement, for this very reason. Just make sure you look at someone who has a large area that has a density of 30 to 35 cm/2, before you opt for the "sprinkle some everywhere" approach!!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Originally posted by hairbank:

Finallyfree,

I've had 1200 in the front/top area already and while I'd like it thicker it gives me decent coverage..........the first assessment of my donor hair was that I'd have no problem with supply but I guess you never know.

If I only get 3000 this time in the crown, I'm thinking I'll at the least have another 2000-3000 for top/front/temple fill it. My hope is Dr. Wong hits a home run and gets 5000+ and does some front/temple work in addition to the crown.

Any thoughts on this?

Hairbank,

Have you lost all the crown hair that you are likely to?

Do you seriously think 2000-3000 will be sufficient for the top/front and temples?

Supposing you lose more hair in the crown OR lose all the front and top (except the 1200 that you got transplanted). Do you have aplan for that eventuality?

I am not trying to put you down.

Its just that we do not realize the really big numbers that are required once the norwoods start climbing? To use 3000 in crown (which may require more work later), and to put further 2000 in temples and hairline will be cutting it too fine, IMO.

This was my crown before my last transplant.

360255f9.gif

This is my crown at 4 and a half months out after transplant.

930ef364.gif

Now I know that I may progress in my hairloss and I should be prepared for the worst eventuality of progressing to NW 7.

Thats something I urge everyone planning their transplants to consider.

Hairbank,

Have you lost all the crown hair that you are likely to?

Do you seriously think 2000-3000 will be sufficient for the top/front and temples?

Supposing you lose more hair in the crown OR lose all the front and top (except the 1200 that you got transplanted). Do you have aplan for that eventuality?

I am not trying to put you down.

Its just that we do not realize the really big numbers that are required once the norwoods start climbing? To use 3000 in crown (which may require more work later), and to put further 2000 in temples and hairline will be cutting it too fine, IMO.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic in my expectations. I'm turning 40 yrs. old this year and I do believe I've lost "most" of what I'll lose in the crown. If you see my pics, there's very little there. My thinking is this.....

1200 FUT's already in top/front

minimum of 3000 in crown

additional 2000-3000 for top and front if can't be achieved with 2nd HT.

This is a total of potentially 7200 grafts (4200 top and front, 3000 in crown) and I think my type of donor hair is very good. I guess I'm comparing results of those like Jotronic, Futzyhead and Bobman ranging from 5000-7800 (I think). Why would this not be considered a reasonable approach for total coverage? Their results look superb IMO.

I appreciate your comments and want to have a realistic outlook, I'm just trying to better understand your point of view. Can you clarify? With my 2nd HT in a few days, your making me a little nervous in my approach and I want to consider all my alternatives carefully. Thanks.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hairbank,

I do not want to make you nervous. You are in good hands.

I am happy to see that you have a plan for future hair loss, if and when that occurs.

Many people jump into hair transplants without proper planning. They think they will not lose any more hair. As long as you do not fall in that "happy" trap, everything will be fine.

Good luck.