HELPPP I NEED A TRANSPLANT NOW !!!!!!

Hi my friend told me about this websight and said i would get good advice.

I just turned 23 and ive been noticing my hair receding over the last year and im freaking out.I cant go bald!!! i shaved my head 1 time just to see how it would look and it looked messed up due to the shape so now i need a transplant.Im like a nw2 on that chart.

I had a consultation at medical hair restoration in new york city and they told me 400 grafts and it would look great just like when i was in high school.

Ok has anyone had a hair transplant at this place .How did it come out ??

Please give me info because i need to get this done as soon as possible!!

Pauly

Desperate in new york

Hi my friend told me about this websight and said i would get good advice.

I just turned 23 and ive been noticing my hair receding over the last year and im freaking out.I cant go bald!!! i shaved my head 1 time just to see how it would look and it looked messed up due to the shape so now i need a transplant.Im like a nw2 on that chart.

I had a consultation at medical hair restoration in new york city and they told me 400 grafts and it would look great just like when i was in high school.

Ok has anyone had a hair transplant at this place .How did it come out ??

Please give me info because i need to get this done as soon as possible!!

Pauly

Desperate in new york

If I were you I would get on propecia right away, to hopefully prevent further loss. Don't rush into the transplant - make sure first that your hair-loss won't progress further (look at your father / mother's father hair loss pattern), if they look bad, than ht may be risky for you, because you don't want to have a few transplanted hair, and no original hair to back those up. Finally, it may be worth spending extra money and get FUE transplant rather than strip method (hair are pulled out one by one, rather than a full strip cut out - it will allow it to get short haircuit without anyone noticing).

You are right - shaving your head is rarely an option. In almost all cases if you look bad with normal hair length - you will also look bad with short hair, or long hair - the only difference is how bad you will look. My question to you is where did you go to get your opininon in new york? icon_wink.gif

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

i dont know about propecia.Never big on drugs but something to think about.

i went to medical hair restoration in manhattan.i had a consultation showed me alot of pics and it looks like they do great work.

Micropose i dont look bad with my hair at its lenth now but i did shave it once with a razor and my head shape isnt suited for baldness.thats why i need a transplant now so i can keep up with any future loss.

i really have to do this b/c i FEAR going bald and its already upsetting me now and i havent even lost that much.my looks matter a whole lot.maybe im bein to vain but thats me..thanx for your response

Jesus Christ Paul80! DO NOT GO TO MHR OR BOSLEY!!!!

You need to calm down and think about what it is you are currently so overwhelmingly ready to throw yourself into without apparent regard for any thoughtful approach to what will constitute - should you do it - probably the most impacting decision of your life.

Not being conceited here, but I, myself, happen to be a pretty sensational looking guy as well. IT WAS NOT EASY when my appearance started to change due to frontal recession when I was 23.

But guess what?

That's not all that's going to change, my friend! Your facial and bodily physiology is going to mature as well, as will your emotional sense of security and overall knowledge of self in the world. THIS HAS TO BE GIVEN ITS OWN ROOM TO GROW BEFORE YOU THINK ABOUT HT!

Right now, you're probably still wanting to hang on (and why not?!) to the fast-fleeting remnants of your boyishly good looks. What works is unquestionably good, and when something starts barging in and changing that then it is only human to feel excruciating discomfort at not knowing what the hell this change is going to come to in the end.

Trust me when I tell you (please God let him take a deep breath before continuing and let him actually HEAR THIS!) that if you're currently starting to experience recession from the front of your hairline, you should first of all take a deep breath, put down the checkbook &/or credit card(s), and set yourself at least a week of homework READING THE POSTS ON THIS WEBSITE!

I'm sorry to be coming at you like this but your (understandable) desperation is calling for a BOOT IN THE ASS!

There are an incalculable number of disaster cases, particularly from MHR and Bosley, where young men, like you, have fallen sway to the media glitz shelled out by these hair mills, and were then DESTROYED by what was left of their self esteem through the disfiguringly horrendous clumsiness they were subjected to.

Your face is going to mature, in a subtle but powerful way, over the next 5 to 7 years, which will actually COMPLIMENT a slight recession in the corners of your hairline. You can forget it if you think that a HT is going to be the answer for you, in the long run, if you insist on restoring your high school hairline appearance (or do you not care to live beyond 35?).

At the most, people are given between 4500 to 6000 grafts-worth of transplantable hair, PERIOD. YOU DON'T YET KNOW HOW MUCH YOU'RE GOING TO NEED. You're genes may dictate that your crown AND frontal region are going to disappear by the time you're 30. Going about getting a HT now is NOT going to leave you with the grafts in reserve you would need otherwise if this should be the case! What's more, you will be doing yourself a disservice by not allowing yourself to see how good you're going to look with a matured, slightly recessed-at-the-corners, hairline!

If I'm wrong, then shoot me!

You will never know if I'm wrong unless you GIVE IT TIME and find out for yourself!

I am 31 years of age now, and 7 weeks post-op from my first HT ever. I started Propecia 3 years ago and it reversed the loss I was starting to experience from the crown of my head and stayed solid ever since. The loss I experienced in the front portion of my head actually looked GOOD ??“ AFTER MY FACE MATURED A BIT TO MATCH IT (as well as my emotional sense of security ??“ or should that be the other way around?) over the years, until that loss started to go BEYOND the (matured) corners of my hairline. I waited several years to see if it seemed to be stabilizing, and it was ??“ THEN I took the plunge, but only with one of the best surgeons in the field (Dr Shapiro, from the Shapiro Medical Group ??“ the same Dr who worked on Pat's HT [the publisher of this website]).

Do yourself a favor and check out the other post I wrote for the "im only 21 and noticing baldness in frontal area" under the "Post your questions for Hair Transplant Surgeons here!" section.

All the best!

HarryLemon

harry is right on the money with his advice.i myself did some modeling in my early 20's and

saw my youth slipping in my late twenties due

to my receding hair,however i've always kept

my physique in peak peformance.staying ripped

kept my confidence up,even while losing my hair.

so paul get on propecia,hit the gym and wait at

least till you're close to 30 or older before

considering ht.by then it will probably be

more advanced than it is now.as harry said

you're face will change,you're cheekbones will

slowly rise giving you a chisled look if you keep

your bodyfat low,plus later in life you'll be

making more money which in turn provides a certain

level of confidence.give it time, do research and

as the soup nazi said on seindfeld,no ht for you

for 10 years. good luck and use you're noggin

ps:arfy, i think we said it all.

Thanks again for the responses and i can grasp what your talking about.

But the way i look at it is why wait years and years to go bald and say at age 35-40 i can see "where im at".By then i'll live 15-20 yrs of my best years depressed over hair loss when i can do something now.I also would think as you get older hair loss might not be as much of an issue.Being 23 and losing hair is killing me and i would give my left arm to prevent this(not literally but u know).

Your only young once and i cant go through my 20's depressed about losing hair.I just got a job after finishing college.I enjoy going out,partying,the nyc night life,drinking,the beautiful women,etc,etc....my life actually is on the up an up.But the only thing thats really upsetting me is my hairloss.Up until about a year ago i was doing fine until i started examining my head in the mirror and said "Yikes,im starting to recede" and now it seems like its accelarating more.Seems like the front is thinning out a little too.

Well ill take your advice on Mhr though ,if you realy think they arent good.I have until next thursday to get my deposit back so ill go in on monday and just say i wana wait a little longer.

So who should i go to now ???????

In nyc who on the recommended list is the top top cream of the crop surgeon?????

Why do I even bother?

Like I spent my 20's in a frickin' hole in the ground??!

First of all, I said 5 to 7 years, NOT 15 to 20!

Where do you even get that number?!

Secondly:

>>> "Your only young once and i cant go through my 20's depressed about losing hair.I just got a job after finishing college.I enjoy going out,partying,the nyc night life,drinking,the beautiful women,etc,etc....my life actually is on the up an up.But the only thing thats really upsetting me is my hairloss.Up until about a year ago i was doing fine until i started examining my head in the mirror and said "Yikes,im starting to recede" and now it seems like its accelarating more.Seems like the front is thinning out a little too." <<<

Yeah, you're losing hair. Did you happen to read anything else I told you about that was going to happen soon?!

If you even bothered to spend SOME time reading a FRACTION of the posts on this site (as I all but fricking begged you to do) - that your friend recommended to you, you wouldn't be coming back with those snap-shot answers of yours, followed by those ridiculous snap-shot questions!

So why did you come visiting these parts, Paul?

For self-justification of what you were really hoping to get approval for, or actual pearls of WISDOM that ANYBODY would be LOATHE to do without - given time???

As Crowded House once said, "Experience is cheap. I shoulda' listened to the warning."

Unless you're frickin' Moby, you are too young to be doing a HT at your age, let alone restore a high-school hairline.

Anybody else care to have a try here?

Enjoy your evening Paul!

Later,

HarryLemon

sounds to me like paul had a bad night out in

the bars and clubs,and didn't hook up with any

chicks and is blaming it on his hair.if you're

a norwood two you have no business even considering a hair transplant,and i can't believe

you gave them a deposit already,that's crazy,

somebody indroduce this kid to cryogenics and

defrost him in 8-10 years. godspeed

Yeah really, just look at the title of his post:

"HELPPP I NEED A TRANSPLANT NOW !!!!!!"

If that doesn't say it all, what does?

Is it even worth trying to reason with a kid like this?

What difference would anything anyone say make in a situation where someone in the heat of that 'moment' see's he's got today's HT technology available?

Apparently it's not enough to explain that the technology on it's own can't give you the amount of grafts required to maintain a high school hairline in most cases. Nor does it seem to be of any use to tell someone who, on the surface, appears to want to learn more about his options, that what he really needs to do is take 2 steps back and READ A LITTLE BIT FOR A FRICKING CHANGE!

That even a bald CROWN can't be fully covered by all the hair you've got spare for a transplant!

I didnt mean to come off like that and i apologize.Its just this hairloss is bothering me alot.Obviously you guys know more about Ht then me but im gona do it anyway as long as it looks natural.

2 many docs hard to narrow down

so....REFERENCES from patients !?!?!

well if you've got you're mind made and live in

the ny area then at least go see dr. bernstein

whom i had mine done by a year ago and is

considered one of the best.he's in ny and nj and

will i'm sure educate you,and give you sound

advice.any place that performs surgery on you

at your age will ruin your future looks and

should be publicly condemned.go see dr.bernstein

please.

Paul80: figsy is right, go see Bernstein. He is one of the best and most reputable. He'll advise you well. icon_smile.gif

MHR is not a good choice. Anybody who markets over late night TV is a big no-no. Read more posts for why. What did MHR want per graft, anyway?

People like MHR will do an HT for anyone with money. Just don't complain if they do a hack job on you, which may or may not happen.

Top HT docs won't do a hack job and will counsel you on what they think. They have ethics, and they make more business by referrals for their work and not late night ads.

THINK ABOUT THIS: Can you live with a crappy HT? You think hairloss sucks, at least that is natural. You'll never live down a chop job if you are already rushing in to an HT.

Get on Propecia. If only 400 FUs are required, I'd say that your hairloss isn't too bad. Play the mature, confident game. I had 2200 FUs for example. Guess I really needed hair! icon_smile.gif

Are people giving you a hard time about your hairloss? Just curious.

We all just want you to not make a mistake you'll regret. I lost hair in bunches at 22 and that sucked royal. After that, very mild, slow recession and some crown thinning.

I knew about HTs at 25-26, but still, I wasn't convinced that it was right for me. I always disliked hairloss, but if a solution sounds too good to be true . . . well, you know.

At 28, did an HT and now NW2. Think about it please, get on Propecia, and don't go to a chop-shop that advertises on TV.

Just my two cents.

vocor1

I agree with the guys that mention Bernstein as one of the top doctors - the problem is he only does highly conservative hairlines and will most likely turn you down, because you're not even NW3. He also won't do an HT on a guy in his early 20's. What you should really do is start on Propecia to stop the hairloss, and then find the right doctor. Don't go to Bosley's, and avoid anyone who mentions mini/micro grafts. Ask for only all follicular translpant, and since you don't need much hair transplanted consider follicular extraction only. Again - make sure you know what you're gettig yourself into. If your father or your mother's father was balding then you will almost definitely follow their pattern, and then you will end up with 400 transplanted hair in the front, and nothing in the back - in which case you'd be better off without a transplant. Somebody mentioned weight-lifting, to boost your self-esteem, and I couldn't agree more. I'm also 23 and also noticed slight recession in the front, the first thing I wanted to do is get an HT right away, but fortunatelly I came accross this website. If it wasn't for here I would end up going to Bosleys or some other place and end up with outdated technology and a transplant that shows. Don't rush into HT, but don't get discouraged either - because a lot of people will tell you to wait till you're 30, I myself plan to get one in a year or two. Great resuts for NW2/3 are possible, just take a look at the guy in this picture:

Great NW2 HT

Good Luck.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Paul,

I'm just posting to back these guys up. There is no way you should be having a transplant at 23. If you think hairloss sucks now. How do you think a bad transplant would make you feel for the rest of your life? Especially, if you go to a place like MHR which will not give you natural results. Imaging not even wanting to look your own mother in the face, because your ashamed of what you've done. Once your in on a transplant, your in for life. Especially if you start young. You'll be chasing your hairloss for life with more procedures. And remember, besides it being expensive, it's also surgery. Once you go through a HT Surgery once, your not going to be to eager to run back for another procedure. But if you start young, your going to have to whether you like it or not. If you insist on going to talk to someone, definitely see Dr. Bernstein. He's definitely the best in NYC, and I would say one of the Top 3 Hair Transplant surgens in the world. He'll probably kick you out of his office like he did me when I went to go see him at 22 23, but on the way out he'll give you good advice. Also spend time (months, if not years) reading the posts on this and a few other sites. You'll learn alot from what people like Jotronic has to say. Check out his site, and you'll get a clear picture of the good and bad with Hair Transplants.

Mr. Hair

BIG BIG BIG TROUBLE

Ok i called Dr.bernstein this morning and they squeezed me in for a consultation late this afternoon.His exact words were "Are you crazy !? you dont need a hair tranpslant".I told him ive been receding noticeably over the last year.He then says "as you get older its natural to recede somewhat".I kept on insisting that i have a transplant but he wouldnt budge.He gave me a prescription for propecia and told me to come back in 2 years for an examination.i said to myself 2years ???????thats a LONG time.If he wouldve said 6 months i wouldve been happier.So im upset driving home and thinkin about goin with mhr.Can someone tell me specifically WHATS WRONG WITH THEM ????

But then as i came on this forum tonight i saw a pic done by a Dr. cooley in north carolina shown up above!!!This gave me Hope !!!Now that is an awesome job !!!I will be giving him a call on monday and tell him i want my ht to be exactly like that.

I would like to show you all some closeup pics on here and take a little poll.How would i go about doing this ??? thanks !!!

I would like to post closeup pictures on here.

I had a similar encounter with dr Bernstein, and also got prescription for Propecia - which is the best that came out that consultation. You wouldn't want HT with him anyway, because he only does conservative hairlines, and won't fill in temporal recessions. Keep us posted on how the consultation with Dr. Cooley went. I would also recommend to you talking with dr. Feller - he's right here in New York, and as opposed to most other doctors he focuses on density a lot - which is just what you want in the frontal area. He's also working on FUE transplants, which is also why you should talk to him.

I started losing my hair around 17, at 20 I was probably a NW 3 almost 4. I went ahead and had a HT by, dun dun dun dun. Yes by Dr.Bernstein. Maybe he learned his lesson from me because I now hear he turns guys down under 25 without blinking. At first my HT looked really good, mixed in with my existing hair, plus I was using rogaine. I actually went back for a second one with Dr.B as I had lost more hair in the following year. So by the end of my 22nd year I had two HTs. For about 4 years I looked excellent, beautiful girlfriend, going out partying. Feeling great. Then for some reason around 26 nearly all the transplanted hair fell out except for some pluggy 4-5 hair grafts in my hairline and I looked like a fool. Whenever it got wet people would ask "Hey did you have a hair transplant?" Also My donor scar had slightly widened and could be seen through my hair. Furthermore my hairloss was progressing to a NW6 and another scar I had in this area was becoming apparent. I went to Dr.Roy Jones of NHI to be evaluated for a FOX test and was rejected but told I could have a scar revision that would yield about 500 grafts which could be used for my crown and head injury scar.(long story) Now I don't know what this guy was smoking because 400 grafts -about 100 for my head injury scar was not even worth doing! To make a long story short, the scar has stretched to nearly an inch wide and is now impossible to conceal. I am 27 years old and girls won't touch me with a ten foot pole. They think I'm funny and nice, but say things like "i will be honest and say that i probably don't have the emotional availability to have a connection with you right now." or some variation of this theme. I wonder if these hair transplant docs would be able to handle sitting alone in an apt for months and months disfigured and without any hope of being intimate with someone again. I would give my left nut to be bald. Yes to have no hair at all and not have to have these hideous scars + a mangled donor area. There are things worse than hairloss and ironically fighting hairloss can lead you to them. There are no easy answers in this industry. The top FUE (no donor scar type of procedure) doc is Dr.Woods in Australia is most likely beyond your financial means but is really the only doctor I can recommend 100% though there are some close second doctors performing FUE and who will one day probably be good choices. Hair transplants have ruined my life. I sit every night posting on hair loss message boards or remembering what is was like to kiss a girl. Sometimes I feel so depressed I can't even get up to eat. Think about it, do you really want to end up in my shoes? I am pursuing various options to climb out of my hell but I don't know when and if it will be possible. All I can really advise you is to read read read. Go to hairlosshelp.com hairlosstalk.com and this site. Read for a good month straight before making any decision whatsoever.

[This message was edited by poet on January 04, 2003 at 09:51 PM.]

[This message was edited by poet on January 04, 2003 at 09:52 PM.]

[This message was edited by poet on January 04, 2003 at 10:42 PM.]

[This message was edited by poet on January 04, 2003 at 10:43 PM.]

Poet

Poet thats nuts !!!!

How can this sight recommend Dr Bernstein after what he did to this kid???????

I almost got set up for the kill !!!

Thanx for that post poet

Paul,

Dude, your desperation and determination are leading you down the road to disaster. You don't want to read the writing on the wall no matter who points it out to you. Poster after poster has told you not to do it. But your insistence has made a few of us recommend you see Dr. Bernstein, and all of us told you what was going to happen when you went to see him. And we were all right. Why were we right? Because we little young one have learned from experience, and are trying to keep you from making the same mistake many of us had. But your stubburn about your decision. So go pay some unethical doctor to perform a hair transplant on you, and I promise within the next year you'll be back on this site crying about how big of a mistake you made. But, oh well, we can always use another person on this site to help the next young guy try to understand that a hair transplant is a mistake at such a young age. Obviously we don't have enough guys to point it out to you now. So come join the club of people on this site who are miserable about the worse decision they made of their lifes. You'll be one of the regular poor soles here logging on everyday hoping that today is the day the mircle cure is discovered, and finally you'll be able to correct the mistake you made at 23. Good luck man. I pray for you.

Mr. Hair

So what is the purpose of this sight??

Is it to prevent people from having transplants at all or to guide one to a good surgeon?

Everyone that posts on here has had bad results ? i think not

Why is a list of "great surgeons" compiled for then ?

Whats wrong with restoring my hairline now and as i lose hair in the future i have more transplants.

Thats my plan

My main concern is it looks natural.As long as that is accomplished im a happy camper